ljosberinn
This is an obnoxious and offensi...

Old 07-10-2010, 09:19 PM

Since there seems to be a fair amount of circus fans and jesters around this feast, I thought I'd do a little hangout, mostly aimed at juggling enthusiasts (such as myself), but everyone is welcome to come here and chat!

I'll be putting up some links, videos and more that I think are helpful for jugglers and performers, and you're welcome to share some of yours as well, plus any tips and tricks you might know and think would be helpful.

If you'll start by doing a bit of an introductory post, then that'd be swell - do you juggle? If so, what do you do; if not, do you know anyone that does? Are you interested in learning? What drew you to the thread, and so on.. whatever you think fits or you want to say. :)

I myself started spinning poi just before Christmas last, then when I broke my ankle in February, I started doing contact juggling since I couldn't balance myself with the poi. Soon after I started walking without crutches again, I started going to weekly juggling meetings in London, and started playing with flowerstix (also known as devil- or lunastix). When I came back home to Iceland for the summer, I got to know some members of the circus here, and have been going to some of their practices. I also bought three juggling balls and am sort of getting the hang of that now.
I've never done much acrobatics, though the circus group here does a lot of that, but because of my ankle being a bit sensitive still and because I sprained my back a couple of weeks back, I haven't been able to participate, though I'd love to learn.

Anyway, I'll reserve one more post to put up links and such, after that the floor is yours!

ljosberinn

Old 07-10-2010, 09:21 PM

LINKS AND STUFF

3 BALL JUGGLING

I found this guy on YouTube, his juggling tutorials seem very straight forward and clear. Of course I'm still doing the basics (as in this video), but he's got lots of more advanced tricks and stuff, so I suggest you take a look at them if you're interested in learning more. The description to the video is essential though, so I'll copy it here:

DescriptionX

Step 1
Throw one ball to your other hand. Whilst this ball in the air, wait until it reaches its maximum height and then, throw the second ball. Make sure you catch both balls in opposite hands and do not pass the balls along, throw them.

Step 2
Opposite side of step 1.

Step 3
The same process as steps 1 and 2 however, now you have an extra ball in your hand, you can continue the pattern for 1 extra throw. Do continous throws for the 3 ball pattern.

Step 4
Opposite side of step 3.

All Together
Now, if you think about it steps 3 and 4 can be made continuous as you end up in your original position. Simply continue juggling the exchanges for the 3 ball cascade!

POI

PlayPoi has all the information you need to know about poi, as well as very good tutorials called Poi Basics. There are six videos going from the complete basics up to fairly advanced techniques, all explained in a very simple, straight-forward manner (or at least I thought so).

VARIOUS

Firetoys has a really great variety of toys, not only fire stuff, I've bought things from them a couple of times and it's always been really good. UK based.

Oddballs is the juggling store in Camden, London. Their website also has a really good selection of all kinds of toys, I've also bought from them and can recommend them. If you're in London, they also run a weekly juggling meeting not far from the store. UK based.

Flowtoys specializes in glowing toys and people keep telling me they're really good, though I've not bought stuff from them personally. California based.

Last edited by ljosberinn; 07-11-2010 at 03:06 AM..

ljosberinn

Old 07-10-2010, 09:31 PM

And of course I have to leave immediately.. thought I had a bit longer. But I'll be back tonight or tomorrow!

White Squirrel Girl
The Spazatic little cookie

Old 07-10-2010, 10:28 PM

I can't juggle more than one ball at a time but my goal is to juggle glass elephents on national TV! I've never been good a juggling or things that have to do with throwing and catching but I've got to try. =3
So that's it for now.

lunanuova
l u n a

Penpal

Old 07-10-2010, 10:41 PM

I really want to juggle!
I can use three balls and throw them in the air once each as in juggling, but once I have caught them I don't know how to proceed.
Maybe I'll watch this video tomorrow and try it :} Thanks for the video by the way!

HappyStarr
(^._.^)ノ

Old 07-11-2010, 12:26 AM

I got really close to being ready for 3 balls at the Faerie Festival in Maryland a few months ago. We don't really have any good balls or round objects to practice with at home, though. Lots of breakables around, too. >.> I should find some and play outside. The kids and neighbors might start to like us more...

caseyd1354
The Moped King
Send a message via AIM to caseyd1354 Send a message via Yahoo to caseyd1354

Old 07-11-2010, 12:35 AM

ive never tried juggling before, but i think ill start out with juggling chainsaws. it sounds like a good time! :eager:

HappyStarr
(^._.^)ノ

Old 07-11-2010, 12:36 AM

hahhaa ohmyy..juggling chainsaws. That's risky business! 0.0

ljosberinn

Old 07-11-2010, 02:48 AM

Sorry for making a thread and then running off.. my friend came to pick me up a bit earlier than I thought she would.

Juggling glass elephants? Any particular reason for that? And I didn't think I'd be able to do it when I started, but practice makes perfect, even for things we never thought we were good at. Juggling has massively improved my balance and reflexes. And yes, lunanuova and Squirrel Girl, you should take a look at that video! Though maybe it's better to click the link, since the description on the YouTube page has instructions, the video only shows what it should look like.

Hey Starr, I hoped you'd find this place! Was going to link to it in the other thread too.. then got dragged away.. Juggling outside is much better than inside anyway, all breakables aside. And just get some small apples or satsumas or something. : D

Ahaha chainsaws sound like a perfectly sane and logical starting point!

HappyStarr
(^._.^)ノ

Old 07-11-2010, 02:56 AM

haha yup! We actually run out of fruit pretty quickly here (which, health wise, is a pretty good thing, I think...) It all gets eaten before I even know it's there. I'll keep an eye out for jugglables, though. >D

ljosberinn

Old 07-11-2010, 03:07 AM

Haha nice. Fruit is amaaaazing. <3

I've added a couple more links too, if you guys have any more, let me know. :)

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 07-11-2010, 03:05 PM

-flops inn-

Siri
\(@O@)ʌ...
Send a message via AIM to Siri

Old 07-11-2010, 03:07 PM

*also joins thread randomly*

Mind if I hang out here a bit during the event? :3

ljosberinn

Old 07-11-2010, 03:14 PM

Of course not! I really like your avatar btw. And hey sadrain!
I'm actually just checking a couple of things before I run outside again, the weather is amazing and I'm juggling in the garden with music playing. ^_______^

Siri
\(@O@)ʌ...
Send a message via AIM to Siri

Old 07-11-2010, 03:16 PM

Hehe, thanks. And I have to go for a bit, but I'll definitely stop by again later. x)

Goblin Maiden
SUPAH KITTEH HAPPEH POWAH.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:16 PM

Hi! I am Mai, the host of the Street Circus game. *Mai bows courteously*

I have a contact juggling ball and a learning DVD for it. I actually got it after finding out what it was that Jareth did with his "magic crystal ball" in the movie Labyrinth, which I heart. 8D I'm not that great at it, but I do intend to practice more. I was drawn to this thread because I was excited about finding out about other jugglers. 8D Okay, so I don't really count as a juggler yet... But hey, at least I'm trying. *Mai nods*

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 07-11-2010, 03:17 PM

Mai, it is such a pleasure to see you again, dear. Are you enjoying the event?

Goblin Maiden

Old 07-11-2010, 03:20 PM

Mommyyyy. *Mai latches onto* I've been busy for the past few days, so I haven't had a chance to be on much and really get around the threads. But I am doing that now. 8D What about you?

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 07-11-2010, 03:23 PM

I am glad to hear that you could finally find the time to join the fun. I have had wonderful time these past days, at least festival-wise.

Goblin Maiden

Old 07-11-2010, 03:30 PM

Yeah, I am glad, too. 8D And that's good to hear, Mommy. Geez, it's like we only get to talk during events. O___o;;; Lucky Celes Paradi is coming up, I guess? XD

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 07-11-2010, 03:40 PM

Well, it does seem so, maybe because I am much online recently. Or because you forget all about your poor mother and never come to ask her how she is! D:

Goblin Maiden

Old 07-11-2010, 03:44 PM

D8

AUGH. I'm sorry, Mommy! DX I'm such a horrible daughter! How are you, Mommy?! *Mai tries to make up for being so neglectful*

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 07-11-2010, 03:47 PM

-diverts her eyes and wipes a small tear- I can see what you are trying to do, Mai, and one question can't erase months of forgetfulness. But I will let you know that I am somewhat.... fine, even with all your neglecting. Quite far from really good, but I know it could be worse.

Goblin Maiden

Old 07-11-2010, 03:52 PM

*Mai clings* I am not letting go until you say you forgive meeeeee. *Mai whines all high-pitched in quite an undignified manner* And as long as you haven't haven't hit rock-bottom... that's the worst place to be. *Mai has been there* Sending happy happy thoughts your way. 8)

Why... why am I thinking of hosting an unofficial contest game thingy?! MAI. STOP IT. YOU ARE ALREADY A HOST. And your game promises to be a busy one. DON'T DO IT. DON'T, MAI.

Mommy, save me from myself. D8

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 07-11-2010, 04:10 PM

I have nearly hit it few times, if truthfully, but... Well, fine, I will forgive you if you stop giving me headache with this tone. >o> -mean mother-

And, oh what game are you thinking of, Mai?