Quote:
Originally Posted by hummy View Post

I sh a Republican
?

Cherry isn't one though.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 11-09-2014, 05:34 AM

Howdy - I couldn't live without Netflix!

Neato! I'll check that out. Such weird timing, though... I just had to watch a movie for an essay assignment about a woman with alzheimer's. It was based on a real story and very sad. I came to Mene to relax a little after how emotional it was and here's this! Weird lil coincidence. I'll be sure to check that movie out though.

APBCole - Thanks! I'll check those out. But from what I've seen of Cabin, I'm not too interested. I know it's a satire/deconstruction of the genre, but ehhhh...

Hummy - I haven't heard of that one. What's it about? Unless it's hurling for gorey reasons - I'm not into movies that are just gore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Biggles View Post
The Republicans control the congress.

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Send a message via Yahoo to Cardinal Biggles

Old 11-09-2014, 05:43 AM

Did I misunderstand the purpose of this thread?

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 11-09-2014, 05:46 AM

Nah, gave me a good fright there.

APBCole
BUGS CAUSING ME UNABLE TO POST

Old 11-09-2014, 10:16 PM

Wrong Turn 1 is also a good one to check out.

Has Desmond Harrington and Eliza Dushku in it. It's also the original film.

Drop Bear
The myth or the legend?

Penpal

Old 11-10-2014, 07:23 AM

I'll second Wrong Turn 1. The chick and the axe in the trees. Fucking spectacular!

For a different perspective (and a laugh) check out Dale & Tucker vs Evil. Its basically the hill billy side of the story of the classic kids getting killed by hill billies in the woods thing. But the two guys are completely innocent, and convinced these kids are part of some sort of suicide cult. Its got Wash from Firefly as one of the main characters. Such an awesome film!

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-05-2015, 09:37 PM

Cherry Who?: I forgot to ask if you've seen the Babadook.

If not, that's a good one.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 04-09-2015, 05:02 AM

I have not!

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-12-2015, 08:35 PM

Cherry Who?: It's a very uncomfortable movie and you should definitely see it if you can. :D

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 04-24-2015, 05:25 AM

Oh wait, I read something about this! It did look interesting. But I think I read about it in... a magazine aimed at middle aged women? So the angle was very "IT'S SCARY FOR MOMMIES!!!" so I wasn't sure what to think about it.

Malisyn Wonderland
(-.-)zzZ

Old 04-26-2015, 07:14 AM

I've always found that the ones which are the most realistic, or that are not as far fetched, are the most scary. Some of the last ones i watched are:

'The Rite' which is about demonic possession and exorcism. It was better than I anticipated.

'Come Back to Me' is about a woman who gets black outs after a crash, sets up cameras in her home and finds out the truth. It's a bit slow rolling but not bad and I didn't foresee what was happening much at all.

'Neverlake' is also a bit slow rolling but the ending was a bit of a twist. A girl goes to live with her dad and meets some creepy kids. Oh and there is a haunted lake of sorts.

'Devil' was pretty good too; five people trapped on an elevator and one is the devil. A bit predictable but again, not bad.

These aren't super gory or bloody, but gives more of an over all disturbing feeling.

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-28-2015, 09:01 PM

I recently watch Pontypool and thought you might like it! It's one of those horror films that's best when you walk into it knowing very little about the story, so I'll keep this purposely vague:

It's a "bottle" movie, where most of the action takes place in the same building with only a handful of characters. They all work in a radio studio and start to hear about...problems...happening around the city. They can't confirm what's going on, since they're stuck inside and the horror is happening outside, but they relay info back and forth while trying to learn wtf is wrong. The story is pretty creepy and manages to create a lot of tension before the "horror" part strikes.

It's slow to build action, but the end is pretty dynamic! I thought the entire thing was well written and well cast. So if you don't mind investing your time in a lot of conversation and description, check it out.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 04-29-2015, 08:46 PM

I agree, "realistic" horror movies are much scarier than monster flicks.

These all sound neat! I've got to remember to check back on this thread when I'm in the mood to watch a movie. With someone else. In daylight.

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-30-2015, 02:38 AM

That sounds really interesting, Knerd. I'mma have to look that up.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 05-11-2015, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knerd View Post
I recently watch Pontypool and thought you might like it! It's one of those horror films that's best when you walk into it knowing very little about the story, so I'll keep this purposely vague:

It's a "bottle" movie, where most of the action takes place in the same building with only a handful of characters. They all work in a radio studio and start to hear about...problems...happening around the city. They can't confirm what's going on, since they're stuck inside and the horror is happening outside, but they relay info back and forth while trying to learn wtf is wrong. The story is pretty creepy and manages to create a lot of tension before the "horror" part strikes.

It's slow to build action, but the end is pretty dynamic! I thought the entire thing was well written and well cast. So if you don't mind investing your time in a lot of conversation and description, check it out.
My guy and I watched this this past weekend! I really enjoyed it, and the format suited it perfectly. In fact, I don't think I would have liked the general concept (the thing that created the horror - don't want to spoil for others) if it had been presented in a more standard way, simply because it would have felt overdone. But the bottle format was very interesting on its own, and well suited for building tension. Thanks for the recommendation!

Watching it, I wondered why more movies don't utilize that sort of bottle setting with minimal time skips - it really felt fresh, and more engaging than just seeing bits and clips from a story that takes place over days or weeks.

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 05-14-2015, 02:53 AM

@Cherry ~ The Babadook is on Netflix now. You should give it a try.

I saw 'It Follows' a couple of days, which I was really curious to see. Tumblr hyped it up. So many people said it was really good. And it was really good, I thought. But not as scary as I was led to believe. I know that's subjective.

The movie has style, though. In many ways it gives you the feel of the original Halloween, or certain films of that era. And the soundtrack is great. ;D

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 05-14-2015, 03:07 AM

Things available on Netflix are definitely a plus for me!

I did see that the Babadook was on Netflix, actually! Pontypool was most recently mentioned and Knerd's description of it piqued my interest so I searched that one first and went with it since it was there. But the next night the guy and I were still feeling a movie, so I saw that pop up in my "recommended" section or something. But we'd had enough of horror for the time being, so we went with Super. Not completely confident we made the right choice...

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 05-14-2015, 03:31 AM

*looks up Super* With Rainn Wilson?

No good?

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 05-15-2015, 01:18 AM

It was... weird. At the end of it, all I could manage to say to my boyfriend was, "well... it wasn't bad..." and he replied, "well, James Gunn has made that movie. He will always have made that movie. No taking it back."

The general premise of it was quite enjoyable. Regular guy from our world decides to don a costume and "become a superhero," only it goes sort of gruesomely (he's pretty bad, and also he's hitting people with a pipewrench over little things, so everyone is just like "WHAT THE FUCK, MAN???"). That take, where things don't go well and he's not really good, was interesting. But overall it just sort of felt like a first draft. Lots of scenes seemed like they needed more work, pacing was off. And some bits just straight up rubbed me the wrong way, like Ellen Page's character casually spouting a number of slurs and, uh, literally raping Rainn Wilson's character? Literal rape scene. But neither thing are really played like "wow, what a terrible person," but more like "well she's weird." Very uncomfortable.

The rest of it was sort of cringey in a similar vein to how The Office was, which I can totally get behind. But those two instances just were too much, combined with the overall... "off" quality it had.

I wouldn't advise anyone against seeing it, I'd just say watch Kick-Ass instead.

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 05-15-2015, 01:55 AM

That's one movie that I didn't make it through. I turned it off at the, uh, scene where his head was sliced open with tentacle thingys? I may be remembering it wrong, but it was a strange fantasy that made me immediately shut off the film.

I want to watch It Follows soon, though! It's a little disappointing to hear that it was overhyped, but the concept still seems awesome. Maybe I'll give that a shot this weekend.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 05-15-2015, 02:00 AM

Yeah, that scene was weird. But you tuned out before the worst parts! Consider yourself lucky.

I haven't heard of that one, is it horror?

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 05-16-2015, 09:59 AM

@Cherry ~ I liked Kickass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knerd View Post
I want to watch It Follows soon, though! It's a little disappointing to hear that it was overhyped, but the concept still seems awesome. Maybe I'll give that a shot this weekend.
Oh no, I wouldn't say it was overhyped. It's a good watch, filled with its share of tense moments. ... I was just expecting it to be scarier.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 05-16-2015, 12:22 PM

Someone tell me about this movie!

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 05-16-2015, 10:07 PM

Which movie?