LiveWicked

Old 10-11-2009, 02:29 AM

Since no one has recommended it I recommend the Song of Ice and Fire series and George R.R. Martin. It's a little slow at first but if you like fantasy and court intrigue, it's amazing. I also recommend the Wayfarer Redemption series, Sabriel and it's sequels by Garth Nix, and the Dresden Files.

Blkmage Disaster
The Shadow Thief

Old 10-11-2009, 05:36 AM

You can try the Fablehaven Series by Brandon Mull. It's a good series about mythical creatures in the modern world. If you want to know more about the series go to: www.fablehaven.com

Linnea
☠ ☠ ☠

Old 10-11-2009, 07:04 AM

there is a 3 volume series i just happened upon... its intended for young adults, but it has a little bit of everything... it's called 'Night World' and basically each volume has 3 stories... the characters sometimes show up in other stories, it's just different points of views and the things that they deal with but everyone still stays in the same world... it has it's fair share of vampires and witches and all the things that go along with that... check it out!

sunrain
Bug the Tomato

Old 10-12-2009, 11:38 PM

I love all the books by Meredith Ann Pierce. I think her best/best-known series is her Darkangel Trilogy. (The Darkangel, A Gathering of Gargyoles, The Pearl of the Soul of the World). She is really imaginative and original, and her worlds are hauntingly beautiful.

I also like the Oracle Prophecies trilogy by Catherine Fisher (The Oracle Betrayed, The Sphere of Secrets, Day of the Scarab). It's roughly based on ancient Egyptian culture, kind of.

The Black Magician series by Trudi Canavan is good as well (The Magician's Guild, The Novice, The High Lord).

Haha, fantasy is my favorite genre.

Silver.Outlaw
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-13-2009, 03:24 AM

I agree with LiveWicked, I haven't read it myself but I think my little sister has and Song of Ice and Fire is supposed to be good.

I would suggest, The Warrior Heir and Inkheart as both have magic and warriors and a bit of a medival theme going on.

Tatsukichi
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-13-2009, 06:33 AM

The trilogy of Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams. The first book is The Dragonbone Chair. The second book is Stone of Farewell. The last book is To Green Angel Tower. The last book was split into two books, part one and part two. There was simply to big to be kept in one book. This is trilogy is one of my all time favorites and I read a lot of fantasy.

Alinoa
Role Play Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to Alinoa

Old 10-14-2009, 05:36 PM

Does anyone know of any really good fantasy books? I'm currently reading Spirits That Walk In Shadow by Nina Kiriki Hoffman, I also read all the Harry Potter books, just so some of you get the gist of what I'm looking for in a book.

Please, if you know of any, tell me. :)

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-14-2009, 07:11 PM

Alinoa, I've gone ahead and merged your thread with our original Fantasy Recommendations topic.

I'm sure you'll find plenty of suggestions here. :yes:

Zelds

Old 10-14-2009, 11:10 PM

Uh...lets see, there's the book Mystic and Rider by Sharon Shinn, the book series that come before Mists of Avalon...the first book is Ancestors of Avalon...um, those two books mentioned are a part of a long series...the Ancestors of Avalon is writen partially by the author of the Mists of Avalon which is another good book..

madamelsie
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-14-2009, 11:28 PM

I recommend anything by Jim Butcher and Robert Jordan. i feel like fantasy spans such a large variety of books so i just left it to those two.

Fae152

Old 10-15-2009, 02:32 AM

I agree with reading Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, and the Sword of Truth series. But if you want something a bit different try reading The Cold Fire Trilogy by C.S. Friedman. Most of her books are sci-fi and stand-alones but this is one of her more fantasy based stories. The main characters are a priest and an evil sorcerer. Fun mix.

Linnea
☠ ☠ ☠

Old 10-15-2009, 08:48 AM

oh i just thought of some more...
'need' by carrie jones... there are were's (not just wolves, but tigers, eagles and more) there are also pixies... and not the good kind... apparently very evil and cold... brrr... oh and the main character, zara, has a thing about phobias... kind of a neat idea

'wicked lovely', 'ink exchange' and 'fragile eternity' by melissa marr... to be honest i haven't read them... yet... but it has faeries and those are also not of the good kind... 'fragile eternity is the sequel to 'wicked lovely'... 'ink exchange' takes place in the same world, just different characters

Krendanya
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-15-2009, 11:35 PM

I would suggest Song Of The Lioness to anyone looking for a good read. The author is Tamora Pierce and there are four books in the series:
1. Alanna
2. In the Hand of the Goddess
3. The Woman Who Rides Like A Man
4. Lioness Rampant

These books are about a girl who poses as a boy in order to become a knight, she takes her twin brothers place at the palace as a page and her brother goes to the convent to learn sorcery. She goes through all the changes a young woman makes and has to hide them as best she can. She makes friends of thieves and falls in love with powerful men all the while completing her knights training and traveling the land doing great deeds, and fighting against evil along the way.

Linnea
☠ ☠ ☠

Old 10-16-2009, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krendanya View Post
I would suggest Song Of The Lioness to anyone looking for a good read. The author is Tamora Pierce and there are four books in the series:
1. Alanna
2. In the Hand of the Goddess
3. The Woman Who Rides Like A Man
4. Lioness Rampant

These books are about a girl who poses as a boy in order to become a knight, she takes her twin brothers place at the palace as a page and her brother goes to the convent to learn sorcery. She goes through all the changes a young woman makes and has to hide them as best she can. She makes friends of thieves and falls in love with powerful men all the while completing her knights training and traveling the land doing great deeds, and fighting against evil along the way.
i've never heard of those before but they sound really good!

Krendanya
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-16-2009, 05:50 PM

Trust me, they are great. Writing all that out made me want to read them again, but my fourth book is missing, gotta go find the sister that borrowed it. *Off to hunt*

Linnea
☠ ☠ ☠

Old 10-18-2009, 05:11 AM

good luck! hope you find them :)

Sir.Spoon
(^._.^)ノ

Old 10-19-2009, 04:07 AM

The Mist of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley is an Arthurian Fantasy Novel, and it's amazing!
I think everyone should read it.

Silver's Edge and it's following books are pretty good reads as well.

rainbow_in_the_dark

Old 10-20-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fae152 View Post
I agree with reading Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, and the Sword of Truth series. But if you want something a bit different try reading The Cold Fire Trilogy by C.S. Friedman. Most of her books are sci-fi and stand-alones but this is one of her more fantasy based stories. The main characters are a priest and an evil sorcerer. Fun mix.
Much love for recommending the coldfire trilogy! One of the few times I have seen someone else bring it up. Makes me happy inside.

I would recommend David Eddings works. All of it. haha. The Belgariad, The Mallorean, the Elenium series. All of it is fantastic.

The Great Book of Amber would be another great one by Roger Zelanzy.

I'd recommend the Rules of Ascension by David B. Coe

Then there would be the Lord of the Isles series by David Drake

There are the trilogies done by Stephen R. Donaldson that are pretty good. They tend to get a little bit repetitive but still very nice.

Then there is the Recluce saga by L.E. Modesitt, Jr. Some of the books are better then others. I would recommend The White Order, Colors of Chaos, and the Magic Engineer.

That's all I can think of suggesting that hasn't been suggested already. *nod*

mocu
Naive Cynic

Old 10-21-2009, 02:55 AM

Kingmaker, Kingbreaker by Karen Miller is a good series. It's only two books, but it's amazing, and has an interesting take on magic.

Kokihi
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-21-2009, 11:14 PM

you should read "The Sword of Truth" series by Terry Goodkind. Its a great fantasy series! It is made up of really long books, but they are so good!

Pirodarkness

Old 10-21-2009, 11:46 PM

check out the author Tamora Pierce she is the best for any fantasy... if you like romance in it too

ichosha
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-22-2009, 01:03 AM

I have a real favorite series right now. The Mercy Thompson novels by Patricia Briggs. The first book is called Moon Called, the second is Blood Bound, the third is Iron Kiss, and the fourth is Bone Crossed. The fifth is coming out next March.

It is about a young woman named Mercedes Thompson. She is a mechanic living in Washington (the state) and she is a walker, meaning she can shift into an animal form due to magic. Her form is a coyote. Ironically, she was raised by werewolves, but left the pack as soon as she could due to multiple issues and conflicts, the main being that they were werewolves and she was not. There are many other mythical creatures in the series including vampires, faye (things like faeries, trolls, selkies, etc.) and they all intertwined.

One of the major conflicts that plays through the series is that the minor faye have come out into public view, so now humans know they exist. As the series goes on, werewolves slowly start to come out as well, but more series creatures like vampires and more scary faye are still unknown and they want to stay that way.

Basically, the series is about Mercy trying to balance her life between the human world and magic world while remaining the facade of a human to other humans and not being dominated by the magic community because she is a rare kind (being a walker) and many want to destroy or control her. She also tries to protect the two communities from each other because she knows how dangerous magically beings can be to humans. Each book covers a major conflict involving that theme, as well as her own personal life and past developing and being revealed.

I cannot wait for the fifth book!!! I'm so excited! :3

Shadow Elm

Old 10-22-2009, 04:34 AM

I would recommend anything by piers anthony. expecially nightmare which was my favorite

InevitableDisaster
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-22-2009, 03:38 PM

I haven't read all of Inkheart, but I think it's really good.

Mirielle195
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-22-2009, 03:40 PM

I only read fantasy romances. My favorite would have to be McKiernan's Once Upon series.