knittingandsarcasm
Champion of Kirkwall

Old 02-21-2016, 03:43 AM

I just recently bought The Wolf Among Us and Tales from the Borderlands from Steam (bless their constant 75% off sales), and I'm super upset I didn't know these existed until now. I LOVE the choose-your-own-adventure genre.

Everything about them is perfect?? I'm so emotionally invested in these video game characters after having blasted through the ten hour, narrative-driven games in one sitting (I do not recommend this method even though it's pretty much unavoidable).

Has anyone else played anything Telltale has made, any recommendations? I know they're releasing a Batman one this year, although I'm kind of skeptical of how it can translate to their format..

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 02-21-2016, 07:02 AM

I really like what I've seen of these games. my ex had a copy of Wold Among Us, and I've actually played a little bit of Borderlands, and I really love the art style and conversation based gameplay. I need to get my hands on some of their other stuff.

knittingandsarcasm
Champion of Kirkwall

Old 02-21-2016, 08:12 AM

I think TWAU and Borderlands are two of their best, along with The Walking Dead games. I haven't seen a lot of positive reviews for some of their bigger franchise games like Minecraft and Game of Thrones, but I'm not if it's because people are more critical with the source material or if it's just because they were just in it for the money and didn't spend too much effort on the actual game.

I'm currently playing Borderlands again to explore the different dialogue options now that I know the ending (I may have made some major poor decisions the first time around). I absolutely ADORE the two main characters, and honestly the writing is the best part of the game. I love the art style and everything, but it's a shame that the engine can't handle all of the quick-time events in the game. Half the time spent playing is pausing due to lag. It's too awesome for my computer to handle, I guess. :)

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 02-21-2016, 11:12 AM

That is definitely the one benefit to playing on console.

Pkero
~VR is the Future~

Old 02-21-2016, 05:04 PM

My one recommendation is to not replay any of them.

The veil of your choices gets completely lifted if you do; the game pretty reasonably obscures what choices matter and kind of leaves you questioning how much impact you have, and replaying to find out will kind of ruin that. I can't really play Telltale games anymore as a result.

knittingandsarcasm
Champion of Kirkwall

Old 02-21-2016, 10:03 PM

I mean, it'd be ideal if Telltale had an actual branching game format where you start off with two choices and by the end of the game you can have hundreds of different possible endings. That's obviously way too much work for the game developers, but one can dream!

I understand what you're saying about the illusion being ruined, but I like to think we're meant to go back and change our choices. What you choose to do in the game and how you treat others most affects your relationships with those characters, not usually the outcome of the story. Your choices lead to you ending the game successful and alone or successful surrounded by your allies, and I like using Telltale's format to see what would happen if you ignore the obvious love interest, or if you decide to side with the bad guys for a change. They give you the choice to change the main character's life, maybe, but reinforces the idea that one person can't always change the ending. I'm probably reading too much into it and giving too much credit to the developers, but oh well.

I'm not sure if I could ever have the patience/restraint to play them only once. There are some situations IRL where I'd give anything for the chance to say something differently, where you really wonder how things would be different if you had the chance to go back and do just one thing differently. And with Telltale, you can. (But I totally respect your decision - congrats on getting the full escapist/real experience!! :) )

BiggestSissy

Old 02-24-2016, 02:25 AM

I love telltale tooo!!

I've played through Walking dead season one (fantastic game btw) and currently working on The Wolf Among Us - here's a tip, DON'T BY AN XBOX VERSION. Downloading it online from places like steam is best. My copy for xbox is SO BUGGY AND GLITCHY :'D

For some reason in a fight scene Bigby's face disappeared and all you saw were his hair, eyes and teeth floatin around XD
This has only happened for me when playing The Wolf Among Us btw, other telltale games seem to do fine.

My little Sister now owns Minecraft storymode. From what I've seen of it, it's definitely leaning more towards a younger audience. (Like, ages before preteen)

I mean, it doesn't seem BAD, but it's quite an astonishing thing for telltale games to do considering all their other games involve someones head getting shot off or something like that XD

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 02-25-2016, 02:12 AM

Huh, I played twau on xbox and it was fine.

BiggestSissy

Old 02-25-2016, 03:25 PM

Did you download for xbox or was it on disc?

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 02-25-2016, 03:48 PM

I play these too. :) The illusion of choice is pretty easily shattered, as others have mentioned, but they're still great on the first run. (Man do I suck at the buttonmash action sequences though, especially if I have a cat in my lap and am not expecting it to pop up. lol)

The Game of Thrones one is SO AGONIZING - just like the books, you start to get the sense that everyone is rotten at the core, you're doomed due to your birth and that there are no good choices to be made. It's very well done. I started out trying to do good in the world, and ended up trying to die with a largest shred of dignity I could muster. Haha. (That's the one Telltale game I actually replayed several times to see if I could "beat" some of the moral dilemmas.)

Question to everyone: Who is your favorite character from a Telltale game?

BiggestSissy

Old 02-26-2016, 03:47 PM

Asher is my favorite, but Bigby is pretty close!

And I had to take a looooooong break from Game of Thrones, it made my emotions go hang wire ;w;

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 02-27-2016, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggestSissy View Post
Did you download for xbox or was it on disc?
It was on disc

reddeath26
*^_^*
Send a message via MSN to reddeath26

Old 03-26-2016, 08:46 AM

Yes! I love Telltale's recent games. I started off with Game of Thrones after the first episode of Life is Strange sold me over to the concept of episodic games. While waiting for one of their episodes to release the PSN store had a special on The Wolf Among Us for PS3. Loved every series I have played. Recently purchased Tales from Borderlands but have yet to still. Also quite excited to see what is in store for us in The Walking Dead season 3!

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal
Send a message via Yahoo to Shadami

Old 04-13-2016, 08:20 PM

knittingandsarcasm:
I don't own any telltale games yet. I just discovered them when minecraft storymode came out but they look amazing!!! i really want to get ahold of them sometime soon. Glad to see a menewhsan suggesting them as great games as well.