.Death Mittens.
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-30-2008, 01:09 PM

So. I'm just barely getting the hang of drawing.

(Examples later on maybe.)

There's always one thing that throws me off though with Chibis (mainly. I would like help with other things but I'll focus on the chibi. D8 ). Head shape and the hair.

Now I know with chibi's you can generally do any shaped head you want with huge/tiny eyes and wild hair. But I've always personally liked the square/rectangular shaped heads people do. Rounded at the top with a flat chin. I never seem to get these right however. So I end up with a circle for a head and a triangular body. Which I don't have much problem with apart from the fact you can't really sit them down. ._.; Example: http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...8/f15a21e9.png sorry about the colouring. 'Twas an experiment.

Any tips on getting square heads right?

And as for hair. Well look at above example and you'll see it hardly has any... Poof? I don't know what I'm trying to say. D8 Doesn't have any lift or particular shape and it kind of bugs me a lot, any tips for this if you can figure out what I'm trying to say?

Sorry for making a long-ish post. x.X And sorry that the example is based on Gaia. o-o;

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 03-30-2008, 01:57 PM

You mean like this: http://maria-minamino.deviantart.com...odles-33984495 ?

If so - what I do is just start with the left side of the face - draw a straight line down - I draw a slightly rounded edge (so the side doesn't look too hard) go straight across, round the edge, and go straight up (parallel as you can to the first line). Did that make any sense?

I hope I helped slightly?

.Death Mittens.
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-30-2008, 02:05 PM

XD Yes like that. Sorry. Should probably have been a bit clearer.

As for your method. That's what I try. ><; But when it comes to the hair it looks out of proportion and wrong which makes me give up on that picture then try again, and then repeats until I give up. It's been like that for a month or two now (since I started trying it).

Ariel
*^_^*

Old 04-02-2008, 02:44 PM

The head doesn't have to be square.
Have you seen some of the tutorials on DeviantArt? Personally I cannot draw chibis at ALL, so I can't really help you. Sorry. Although, when it comes to hair .. there was something one of my instructors told me. I think it was do the hair in sections (depending on the style), but that probably doesn't make a lot of sense, eh?
Dejichan (on dA) has a good tutorial.

.Death Mittens.
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-03-2008, 01:36 PM

@Ariel - 83 I know it doesn't have to be square. It's just it's appealed to me for a while and I'd love to get one done reasonably okay. Circle heads are okay but get a bit annoying sometimes.

As for DA, yes I have, I've gone through quite a few, never helped any.

And hair, I do try sections sometimes actually, sometimes I start with the back them come to anything happening in the middle leaving any bangs the character may have until last. It's just getting the general shape and flow of it right is all.

Deijichan is a brilliant artist. I have seen them around before. XD The Chibi's aren't what I wish to get a result of though.