Algas Soleado
Defender of Green Things

Old 07-23-2011, 07:51 PM

There's not a whole lot of difference. They're both incredible Impressionist artists but do you have a favorite? Do you have a different favorite impressionist or post-impressionist artist?
If you have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about, just strike up a conversation! I'm pretty friendly! :insane:

Isendor
*^_^*

Old 07-25-2011, 06:02 PM

I love impressionism! The European one, though, American was... Eh, if you're in the circles, you know what I mean. :D I really can't choose between Monet and Manet, they're both great! Maybe I would put Monet on my wall because he used more colors. I also don't like putting pictures of people on my wall, and most of Manet's work were about people.

Algas Soleado
Defender of Green Things

Old 07-26-2011, 03:34 AM

As much as I love Impressionism, I think Van Gogh's "the Crab" is my most favorite painting. I honestly don't know why but I'm guessing it has to do with the colors or the fact that the crab is on its back. Other than that, of course I love the many Japanese bridges of Monet because they show how he progressively became more aggressive with age. I also like the women of the movement, especially Mary Cassatt and her "Girl in a Blue Armchair" (I think that's the name). It always reminds me of my sister when we were little and I just love the subject. haha

Isendor
*^_^*

Old 07-26-2011, 09:39 AM

My my, do we even have to mention van Gogh to know how great he was? :D The only thing I hate in him is the way his name is pronounced. Sorry Dutch people! :D
I love his "Sunflowers", maybe because I've seen it in real life! It felt amazing to see it myself, I couldn't understand that what I had in front of me! :drool:

How familiar are you with Pissarro's and Degas' works? I've just started researching Pissaro's art and I'm sold. :D

Algas Soleado
Defender of Green Things

Old 07-26-2011, 09:09 PM

Of Pissaro, I love pointillism. It's so interesting. People talk about how you can only see the subject of impressionist paintings from far away but the same can be said about pointillism many times over. I was recently at an art gallery in San Antonio with many works by Monet, Manet, Cassatt to O'keefe and Calder. One of my favorite pieces was one of Pissaro's pointillism works. I think it was Haymakers Resting. I didn't have a lot of time to look at it.

Isendor
*^_^*

Old 07-28-2011, 04:49 PM

:drool: I want to see that painting too! But hey, thanks to this thread, I've started to search for a poster that has Degas' ballerinas in it. Mhh, I wonder why he made so many painting of them? Haven't studied his life that much. TO GOOGLE! :D
*Tock tock tick tick...*

... He painted them because many people bought them.

Algas Soleado
Defender of Green Things

Old 07-28-2011, 06:44 PM

Hahaha nice! I must admit I'm not a huge fan of Degas. His work is beautiful but it doesn't draw me in like the others do. On another note, you should check out my friend's website and see what she did with Starry Night. :)
Mallory Mazzarella: always have a pencil and a dream
She drew it in art class under a teacher that forced students to copy famous pieces instead of create their own. In order to keep her sanity, she folded the paper in half. In class she would work on the top, seemingly drawing Starry Night then on her own time, she would work on the bottom, adding a new perspective. :)

Isendor
*^_^*

Old 07-28-2011, 07:45 PM

She's skillful! I've never understood why some of the teachers want their students to only copy the famous works. Luckily your friend has found a way to escape from the boredom. :D
By the way, I have Starry Night on my laptop's cover. It's a sticker, actually, but looks great! I would never have the patient to paint with such small strokes. I can only admire how the masters have done it.... :D

Algas Soleado
Defender of Green Things

Old 07-30-2011, 04:41 AM

I actually did a flamingo pink and orange one in a wine and paint place. It's a lot of fun, I went with my mother and neither of us drink but we take sparkling grape juice and fancy snacks and the teacher takes us step-by-step through a famous artwork. You can ask to do your own colors which is why mine is flamingo-y and my mother's is "southwestern" with a lot of beige and dust colors. :)

Isendor
*^_^*

Old 08-03-2011, 01:54 PM

Mhh, so the idea is to learn while copying. (Duh!?) And your teacher has a great idea how to keep your creativity alive while copying! Sweet! :D

But this thread seems empty. Aren't there any more impressionism fans here? *Sob sob!*

Algas Soleado
Defender of Green Things

Old 08-03-2011, 07:49 PM

Oh no, it's all about fun. :) Hence the wine. It's very popular for a ladies' night out type of thing. :)
And I know what you mean! But I'm glad at least you're replying! :D

Isendor
*^_^*

Old 08-03-2011, 08:45 PM

Mhh, and maybe impression fascinates more because it's not mainstream! :D But it nice to find others who know about it. Eheh, even the word monsters "impressionism" and "pointilism" and so on make people a bit, mhh, repulsive! They think it's very fancy, even though the idea is quite simple. Just blurry the image and mumble about the light! :D Ok, it does take more than that.

Algas Soleado
Defender of Green Things

Old 08-04-2011, 03:44 AM

Haha More impressionist jokes: a kindergartener could do it, you don't even have to color inside the lines! :D

Isendor
*^_^*

Old 08-04-2011, 12:25 PM

Never heard that before. :rofl: But some of the impressionists actually kept their eyes half closed while painting to get things right! I could just take my glasses off and that's it! :D I've also tried making a picture while sitting sideways to my object and always taking a very fast, brief look at it. Things didn't get much blurrier, and the most colorful objects caught my attention more than the others, so it wasn't a very good technique. Eheh, I should stick with the critique's role...

Summerpixel

Old 08-04-2011, 03:10 PM

Personally, I adore Claude Monet's works, expecially his "Flowering Garden at Sainte-Adresse" painting. I can literally stare at the painting for hours on end, seeing it in a different perspective each time. I also like how he inspired Claude Debussy(the composer) in some of his works too. In my perspective, Claude Monet is very different from other painters and his paintings display a different way of seeing it in different people which is important, in my opinion, because it creates discussions of feelings directed at his works.

Claude Monet all the way. <3

Isendor
*^_^*

Old 08-04-2011, 08:50 PM

Hooray, this thread has a new chatter! :D
You've got good reasoning there, the very first Manet I saw was in our history book back in the school. It was Berthe Morisot's portrait and even if it was only a tiny picture next to Van Gogh, it etched to my brains and *checks* yup, it's still there! :D It's so dramatic, despite the fact that the woman in it is smiling a bit and Manet has softened the dark parts with brown.

BlueEyedWallflower
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-06-2011, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algas Soleado View Post
As much as I love Impressionism, I think Van Gogh's "the Crab" is my most favorite painting. I honestly don't know why but I'm guessing it has to do with the colors or the fact that the crab is on its back. Other than that, of course I love the many Japanese bridges of Monet because they show how he progressively became more aggressive with age. I also like the women of the movement, especially Mary Cassatt and her "Girl in a Blue Armchair" (I think that's the name). It always reminds me of my sister when we were little and I just love the subject. haha
Wow. Those two paintings you mention are just gorgeous. I had never seen them before. I have two new favorites thanks to you! Oh, man. The colors in those paintings are so vivid.

Algas Soleado
Defender of Green Things

Old 08-06-2011, 03:25 PM

That's why I love the Crab! :) It's just so interesting because it's on its back but the thing that really draws you in is the blue-green and red! I just love it! [also, yes there are two crabs but my favorite is the upper left. On it's own, it's "Crab On Its Back." Maybe not so original but Impressionist paintings' names are usually to the point anyway.] I wish the online pictures would do the painting justice but they don't.
Also, hooray for more art geeks! :D Be proud!

Krokodil
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Krokodil Send a message via MSN to Krokodil

Old 01-15-2012, 07:52 PM

I would have to say that I prefer Manet.

But I think my favorite Impressionist would be Mary Cassat. I love her style. Some of her works really show the big influence that Japanese art had on the impressionist movement. "The Letter" is probably my favorite of hers. Look it up if you haven't seen it. It's very nice.