Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 10-15-2014, 04:51 AM

Yo, I'm a psych undergrad. I understand this stuff pretty well.

A friend taking Psych 101 for gen ed reasons recently approached me for help on her midterms. I'm going to start tutoring her now, but it got me thinking! I know a lot of people take Psych for gen ed/curiosity reasons and end up severely struggling with it when it turns out to be more than they expected. That makes me sad because psychology is awesome and I want everyone to understand it! A basic understanding of how your brain works is so so important for just... life, man.

So are you struggling with your Psych 101? A higher level psych class (I really cannot help yet beyond sophomore-level classes, unless you're reading this a year plus from now)? Did you take a psych class in days of yore and still have lingering questions? Just read something on the internet that you want to know more about? Have general curiosities? ASK ME!

Side note: As I stated, I am an undergrad. I have no degree and am not licensed to practice psychiatry or therapy. If you have questions about mental illness I can point you in the direction of the diagnostic tools that professionals use but I cannot diagnose you, give you therapy, or otherwise help you. Only a professional can do that.

Inzanebraned
(^._.^)ノ

Old 05-21-2016, 09:38 AM

Had my middle daughter not been born handicapped, I would have gone back to school to study psychology...
Instead, I was a stay-at-home mom who learned a lot about the subject from everyday life.

salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 05-21-2016, 08:10 PM

Real life experience is definitely important too

That was wonderful of you Inzanebraned to stay at home to take care of your daughter and now if I'm not mistaken, to enjoy the company of a wonderful granddaughter as well

2Femme
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-13-2016, 04:16 AM

Hmm, that's unfortunate that people are struggling. At my university the first year Psyc profs are amazing, and most students excel. Though, I think they tailor it to entry level students, and make the material really accessible.

I had considered getting a minor is psyc, but I didn't have enough room for the amount of credits I would need. Though I took quite a few interesting courses throughout my degree. My favorite has been my motivation course - I think this would be more helpful to the general population then an intro class (easier to apply to their own life, at least).

Viveka
:3

Old 09-24-2017, 01:22 AM

I would have loved to double-major in psychology, but I got waitlisted so many times for the intro classes that I got discouraged. I did manage to take intro, social, cognitive, and abnormal psych, though! I agree that some knowledge of psychology is very useful in daily life. :)

monstahh`
faerie graveyard

Old 10-19-2017, 05:02 PM

When I took Psych 101 it was the only class I got an A in.

I agree that its important to learn that stuff though, it can help people better understand themselves and the people around them, often allowing for more empathy and thoughtfulness with words and other people.

Crimson Fang
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to Crimson Fang Send a message via MSN to Crimson Fang

Old 10-27-2017, 11:17 AM

I haven't taken any psychology classes myself. I am not expecting this to change. That's not to say that it doesn't look like an interesting field. Indeed on rare occasions I like to read psychological writing. Although I am more interested in psychological anthropology. As for psychology being useful, I think this would apply to the wider social sciences.

The_Crow
Mime From Hell
Penpal
Send a message via AIM to The_Crow Send a message via MSN to The_Crow Send a message via Yahoo to The_Crow

Old 03-15-2019, 04:10 PM

My first time through school I majored in Elementary Education and minored in Music.

Ever since my time in college, partially due to my personal 'lived experience', but also partially due to the company I kept (several friends of mine at the time were very interested in Clinical Psychology), I have always had a healthy interest and knowledge of psychology, to the extent that at times when I was in the hospital, fellow clients thought I was actually a doctor because of my knowledge base.

It is now safe to say that I am no longer struggling with, but am 'in recovery' from my mental/emotional health issues. A part of that is going back to school; oh how I have always loved school. I love learning. I love achieving. I also love being empowered to help others... whether it is how to effectively help children learn... or, now, how to help others with their own mental/emotional health struggles.

I'm going back to the local community college (the only thing I can afford at the moment) to get an AA-T in Psychology. I'm about 80% of the way towards degree completion.

This endeavor also serves to slowly up my stamina, and be able to prove, when it is time to apply for a Graduate Program, "look, I can totally do this school thing!"