Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 09-16-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunii View Post
Well then. Lets start with an angel necklace charm:

And a bit special designed hook I made for my calendar:

This is all I have time to post right now. I'll post some more later when I'm back home from work.
So pretty.

Tsunii
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-16-2013, 05:30 PM

Thank you Nivvy and Kirin. And yes, Nivvy, practical things are really nice and it's always a plus if they look good too.

Uhm.. I know I promised some more pictures but it feels like I would make a massive wall of them if I show them of as before, so I'm just gonna post the links to them instead.

So first there's this book that I've made. The first one that I've done completely from scratch in this way.
The front:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ps01140470.jpg
Inside: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...psb46af35c.jpg

And here's a necklace charm I made for my mother. The stone is a green calcite.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...psfae63c28.jpg

And a bracelet also for my mother with mocha stone, amazonite and two rock crystals.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...psfebbb3b2.jpg

Two charms made with midnight star stones (they're synthetic).
Small one: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...psfb25f0c1.jpg
Bigger one: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ps8d754a6e.jpg

Here's one with a garnet.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...pse19f7335.jpg

And last of the jewels is a jade charm.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...psadd47012.jpg

Oh, and for you Woodla, a lots of paper lilies. If you'd lived close to me then I would have given you a bunch of them, seriously.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...pscb13bb89.jpg

And I think that's quite enough posting for now. I have a few other things too, but that can wait for later.

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-16-2013, 06:58 PM

Tsunii! I love that necklaces and that bracelet!!! Makes me want to finally learn how to wire wrap. I have silver wire and two awesome, small geodes I've been dying to make into pendants. Seriously awesome. I also have some mauve seed freshwater pearls I need to make something out of. And a host of loose cut semi-precious and precious stones. But, I'd have to get settings for those. I go to a lot of gem and mineral shows, so I'm always picking up things I can play with.

And those are such pretty lilies! Where are you? I'll come take some

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-16-2013, 07:36 PM

Neat stuff, Tsuni! The jewelry you make is so beautiful!

Tsunii
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-16-2013, 07:39 PM

Thank you Woodla and Cherry.
If you want to make wirewraps and already have the stuff, then just do it. If you do it wrong, then you can just try again as long as the stones don't brake. I know there's a lot of good tutorials about wirewrapping on DeviantArt. I've used some of them myself.
I wish we had more mineral and stone shows here. I've only been on one this far and that was some years ago. Though we have two shops (that I know of) who sells a lot of stones and mineral and such. I even practiced at one of them for some weeks.

I'm in gothenburg in Sweden, so I have a feeling that that can be a bit problematic.

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 09-16-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Thank you Nivvy and Kirin. And yes, Nivvy, practical things are really nice and it's always a plus if they look good too.

Uhm.. I know I promised some more pictures but it feels like I would make a massive wall of them if I show them of as before, so I'm just gonna post the links to them instead.

So first there's this book that I've made. The first one that I've done completely from scratch in this way.
The front:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ps01140470.jpg
Inside: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...psb46af35c.jpg

And here's a necklace charm I made for my mother. The stone is a green calcite.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...psfae63c28.jpg

And a bracelet also for my mother with mocha stone, amazonite and two rock crystals.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...psfebbb3b2.jpg

Two charms made with midnight star stones (they're synthetic).
Small one: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...psfb25f0c1.jpg
Bigger one: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ps8d754a6e.jpg

Here's one with a garnet.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...pse19f7335.jpg

And last of the jewels is a jade charm.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...psadd47012.jpg

Oh, and for you Woodla, a lots of paper lilies. If you'd lived close to me then I would have given you a bunch of them, seriously.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...pscb13bb89.jpg

And I think that's quite enough posting for now. I have a few other things too, but that can wait for later.
so pretty

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-16-2013, 11:52 PM

Wire wrapping always looks like magic to me, especially when the stones are not covered on all sides. When they're just wrapped at the very top I can never figure out how they stay in place if not for some hidden dab of glue or something! I purchased a crystal necklace like that. There's no place where a bit of glue could be hidden and the wires don't seem to be extremely tight, so I have no clue why it doesn't just fall right out!

I do have some rose gold tone wiring, a matching chain, and a tiny little piece of rose quartz that my rock collection wouldn't miss too severely... Maybe that should be my next project.

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-17-2013, 03:56 AM

Oooh. Sweden! That's fantastic. And very far away, yes. I'm in New England in the US. :D Connecticut to be exact.

Yes to everything Cherry just said. It's magic. I always assumed it's super sneaky and tricky because some stones look like they should be popping out, but they aren't. Crazy. I think I will give it a go. I don't have too much silver wire, but it's really nice non-tarnishing silver wire I picked up at a Gem and Mineral show once.

We've got a surprising number of shows in my area. One of the largest on the East Coast is just an hour away from me, and since my father has a tax number for his business, (and I go with him) we can get on the wholesale side too. So, good deals to be had.

Cherry, if you do a wire wrap, make sure to post it! I'd love to see it.

Tsunii
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-17-2013, 02:12 PM

First off, thank you Kirin. ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Who? View Post
Wire wrapping always looks like magic to me, especially when the stones are not covered on all sides. When they're just wrapped at the very top I can never figure out how they stay in place if not for some hidden dab of glue or something! I purchased a crystal necklace like that. There's no place where a bit of glue could be hidden and the wires don't seem to be extremely tight, so I have no clue why it doesn't just fall right out!

I do have some rose gold tone wiring, a matching chain, and a tiny little piece of rose quartz that my rock collection wouldn't miss too severely... Maybe that should be my next project.
It is quite possible that there is a hole drilled through the stone where they've put a bit of the wire through and then cover it up on the outside with more wires. Or it might be a small formation in the stone that is hard to notice that keeps the wires in place. Like I have a necklace with a rock crystal that is hold up only by a sting that I wired around it's top and tied really tight. The reason why it stays as it should is because of the formation of the crystal. Or the person who did the wrapping is simply just that brilliant at it.

As for making that your next project, I think you really should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlandnymph View Post
Oooh. Sweden! That's fantastic. And very far away, yes. I'm in New England in the US. :D Connecticut to be exact.

Yes to everything Cherry just said. It's magic. I always assumed it's super sneaky and tricky because some stones look like they should be popping out, but they aren't. Crazy. I think I will give it a go. I don't have too much silver wire, but it's really nice non-tarnishing silver wire I picked up at a Gem and Mineral show once.

We've got a surprising number of shows in my area. One of the largest on the East Coast is just an hour away from me, and since my father has a tax number for his business, (and I go with him) we can get on the wholesale side too. So, good deals to be had.

Cherry, if you do a wire wrap, make sure to post it! I'd love to see it.
Fantastic and usually kind of cold and wet. Though this summer have been quite warm and dry... At least up until recently.
Connecticut, I know I've heard the name a lot of times but I can't for my life remember anything of it.

You're so lucky! I bet you also have at lest one steampunk convent not too far away too. We're gonna have Swedens first steampunk convent in october this year. Which reminds me that I really need to get my clothes that I'm gonna wear done soon. ^^''

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 09-17-2013, 02:45 PM

Hey all, how are you all doing?

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-17-2013, 04:44 PM

We're wedged between Massachusetts and New York. Kinda. Below us is the Long Island Sound/ocean, and New York is the to west of us. People who want to live outside of NYC and commute to work like to come to Ct. ;)
And we get hot and humid in the summer, but have very cold, snowy winters. This summer was pretty mild, with only a week or two of hot hot days. So, that was a nice change.

Steampunk? That'll be great. I've never been to just a steampunk event, but have seen some amazing costumes at Renaissance Faires and ComicCons that people get up in steampunk gear for. I've got a bustled skirt I made, that if I was more talented, I'd make a Victorian corset for.

A little hole is a smart idea. If I can't manage to wrap my little matching geodes without a trick like that, I'll see if I can use my dremel tool to carefully drill a hole. I think I can manage without that step, but I want most of the front to show, so we'll see! I'll post pictures if it comes out good.

Hey Kirin! Feelin motivated to craft. :D

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-17-2013, 05:41 PM

This isn't my idea, nor is it my project, but I saw this yesterday for crocheting rugs from old t-shirt scraps and it looked inspiring. I might try it if I can work up the gumption to go in the garage for the old tshirt box. I'm envisioning something smaller like a teapot sitter-onner. :)

.. it's in Russian but sometimes it's easier for me to replicate something from pictures alone.

OlinoHobby - Crochet Rug from T-shirts and Yarn

Last edited by BellyButton; 09-17-2013 at 05:45 PM..

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-17-2013, 06:35 PM

I wish I could crochet. That's awesome.

Car'a'Carn: needs to make those.

Car'a'Carn
Berries & Cream!

Penpal
Assistant Administrator

Old 09-17-2013, 06:44 PM

Oh! Those are so cool! I should try and make one of those!!

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-17-2013, 06:55 PM

Yes! Raid your local second hand store for bright t shirts and bam! Project!

Tsunii
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-17-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
We're wedged between Massachusetts and New York. Kinda. Below us is the Long Island Sound/ocean, and New York is the to west of us. People who want to live outside of NYC and commute to work like to come to Ct. ;)
And we get hot and humid in the summer, but have very cold, snowy winters. This summer was pretty mild, with only a week or two of hot hot days. So, that was a nice change.

Steampunk? That'll be great. I've never been to just a steampunk event, but have seen some amazing costumes at Renaissance Faires and ComicCons that people get up in steampunk gear for. I've got a bustled skirt I made, that if I was more talented, I'd make a Victorian corset for.

A little hole is a smart idea. If I can't manage to wrap my little matching geodes without a trick like that, I'll see if I can use my dremel tool to carefully drill a hole. I think I can manage without that step, but I want most of the front to show, so we'll see! I'll post pictures if it comes out good.

I have an idea of where you live now, but I'm gonna have to look at a map to know for sure. I think I'll do that tomorrow after work. I'm so tired right now, which is not so strange since the time is 21.00 here right now.
So you guys get the same kind of winters as we do here then.

Oh, that's more than what we've had for a long time. It seems that it wasn't until last year that it started to appear steampunk groups and associations here. And one of them decided one year ago to have this convention now. I've been waiting for this special convent for a whole year, and it's gonna be so epic! There are even going to be a ball with a live orchestra at one of the days.
What a coincidence, it's a bustle skirt that I am sewing right now. I will also make a jacket for it. And I'm glad that a bought a really nice underbust corset some years ago.

Tricks like that is really good, specially if you have no bloody idea of what you're doing. I wish I had anything to drill small holes in stone with but I don't, and I have no idea where to get one either. And if you decide to do it kind of like I did, then you don't need to make small holes in them. Just make sure that you have wire crossing the back of them and then just enough wire in the "corners" of the front to fixate the stone so it won't fall out. Then you can leave a big part of the front free.
You know the three wires going across the front of that jade charm I made. I don't even need them to be sure that the stone was fixated, I just added them for a nice touch.
And yes do so, post pictures. I want to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin Rosenbaum View Post
Hey all, how are you all doing?
Quite fine now, except for being really tired. But that's what yo can expect when it's late at night. Well I'm of to bed now. Good night you all.

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 09-17-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:

I have the motivation but not the time to craft. What sort of crafts do you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellyButton View Post
This isn't my idea, nor is it my project, but I saw this yesterday for crocheting rugs from old t-shirt scraps and it looked inspiring. I might try it if I can work up the gumption to go in the garage for the old tshirt box. I'm envisioning something smaller like a teapot sitter-onner. :)

.. it's in Russian but sometimes it's easier for me to replicate something from pictures alone.

OlinoHobby - Crochet Rug from T-shirts and Yarn
Oh that's sort of neat. Yarn and t-shirts. Except I want my old t-shirts made into a quilt.

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-17-2013, 09:49 PM

Sleep well then, Tsunii!

I want to see a finished product on that costume, it sounds pretty awesome. I've been trying to do an autumnal faery kind of outfit for a while, but I A) need to find a corset for it and B) need to make new faery wings because the wire I used on my first pair (The only I've made for myself) was too thin, so they look like dragonfly wings.

EDIT:

Serious, I go a little bit of everything Kirin. I get a notion in my head to make something, and I try it.

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 09-17-2013, 09:50 PM

I wish I could sew. I want a Captain Jack Harkness Jacket in the worse way.

Tsunii
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-18-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Sleep well then, Tsunii!

I want to see a finished product on that costume, it sounds pretty awesome. I've been trying to do an autumnal faery kind of outfit for a while, but I A) need to find a corset for it and B) need to make new faery wings because the wire I used on my first pair (The only I've made for myself) was too thin, so they look like dragonfly wings.

EDIT:

Serious, I go a little bit of everything Kirin. I get a notion in my head to make something, and I try it.
Of course I'll post pictures of it when it's done. The funny thing is that I'm making a test sample of the skirt and a jacket that I'll have to it in another fabric. A quite nice fabric but not as fancy as the fabric the finished outfit will be made of. But if I do the test sample good enough and it fits, then I can use that too. So I might end up with two steampunk outfits that are similar, but one is for normal day wear and the other is for more fancy occasions.

Oh, if you manage to finish that fairy costume you'll have to post pictures of it.
I know that Simplicity sells some corset patterns, so maybe you could get one of theirs. Also, the skirt and jacket that I'm doing is from their patterns.
And I've never tried to make fairy wings. But when I do, I'm thinking of maybe trying to use plastic padding. I know my brother used it to make water in a landscape model, and it looked really nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin Rosenbaum View Post
I wish I could sew. I want a Captain Jack Harkness Jacket in the worse way.
[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]I want that jacket too. And the tenth doctor's coat too. But I have no idea were to get patterns for them.
Maybe you can get a friend who's good at sewing to make one for you?[/COLOR]

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-18-2013, 09:54 PM

Two outfits are better than one! Do it!
I make my wings with pantyhose (right?) and wire. I found a youtube video once upon a time showing an easy way to make them, and it's great.

I have pantaloon type things made in a shiny burnt orange, two short petal skirts in green and a yellow-y color, I bought a green blouse, but I might make one to match the pantaloons. I just need a corset and a few other things to make it complete. Then I want to make a headdress with stag horns/faux ram horns, leaves, berries....etc. Sorta like this:

I've got so many patterns! I bet I have at least three corset/bodice patterns laying about right now.

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 09-18-2013, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Of course I'll post pictures of it when it's done. The funny thing is that I'm making a test sample of the skirt and a jacket that I'll have to it in another fabric. A quite nice fabric but not as fancy as the fabric the finished outfit will be made of. But if I do the test sample good enough and it fits, then I can use that too. So I might end up with two steampunk outfits that are similar, but one is for normal day wear and the other is for more fancy occasions.

Oh, if you manage to finish that fairy costume you'll have to post pictures of it.
I know that Simplicity sells some corset patterns, so maybe you could get one of theirs. Also, the skirt and jacket that I'm doing is from their patterns.
And I've never tried to make fairy wings. But when I do, I'm thinking of maybe trying to use plastic padding. I know my brother used it to make water in a landscape model, and it looked really nice.

[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]I want that jacket too. And the tenth doctor's coat too. But I have no idea were to get patterns for them.
Maybe you can get a friend who's good at sewing to make one for you?[/COLOR]
Yeah but I have zero money.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-19-2013, 01:43 AM

I just tried to wire wrap my little piece of rose quartz and... yeah, that's not happening. @_@ The wire kept slipping off to the side, I couldn't get it tight, and the rock kept falling out. I think in order to be successful I would have had to wrap it so many times that it wouldn't be visible. Maybe I'll read some tutorials and try again, but I think I'm going to have leave wire wrapping to people with more dexterity and patience than I have.

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 09-19-2013, 01:47 AM

I so need to get a video done of me working on my cards.

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-19-2013, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Who? View Post
I just tried to wire wrap my little piece of rose quartz and... yeah, that's not happening. @_@ The wire kept slipping off to the side, I couldn't get it tight, and the rock kept falling out. I think in order to be successful I would have had to wrap it so many times that it wouldn't be visible. Maybe I'll read some tutorials and try again, but I think I'm going to have leave wire wrapping to people with more dexterity and patience than I have.
Oh no. Something that needs dexterity? I'll have to check out some tutorials too, because I think that might be my issue too.