Kent
owo

Penpal

Old 03-22-2023, 05:11 PM

I feel like recommending two anime that had very slight GL themes then! A Place Further Than the Universe and The Aquatope on White Sand. I loved both of them. Really well-done drama and adorable girls doing good work for the world. ; w;

I've seen bits and pieces of Citrus and I'm pretty sure I don't like the harassment(?) in it...? Ooh! Sound! Euphonium is another KyoAni anime! I haven't watched it but I'm sure it's good~ I actually watched an anime movie based off of it--Liz and the Blue Bird. That was a sweet, subtle GL. X3

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 03-22-2023, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReiyukaE View Post
Aaah, that does probably change a lot of it! Do they maybe show things a bit more from Mei's point of view or offer more of a background? Because in the anime, she just gave me a very icky feeling for the largest time which absolutely coloured my enjoyment.

I do agree with you regarding 'not knowing how to handle it'. BL is a lot more straightforward and maybe fits the same story beats of other anime more than GL does? I should probably read/watch some more, honestly, to get a better sense of it.

Adding Goodbye, My Rose Garden to my list of things to watch. (correction: to read, since it's a manga)

And oh, of course, there's always Revolutionary Girl Utena!
Mei is....complicated , and I can totally see how they might have handled her wrongly. I kinda want to watch the anime now to see exactly how they handled the whole thing but by the end in the manga I loved them both.

I had forgotten about Utena!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
I feel like recommending two anime that had very slight GL themes then! A Place Further Than the Universe and The Aquatope on White Sand. I loved both of them. Really well-done drama and adorable girls doing good work for the world. ; w;

I've seen bits and pieces of Citrus and I'm pretty sure I don't like the harassment(?) in it...? Ooh! Sound! Euphonium is another KyoAni anime! I haven't watched it but I'm sure it's good~ I actually watched an anime movie based off of it--Liz and the Blue Bird. That was a sweet, subtle GL. X3
*Secretly adding both to her watch list* >...>

Roxxxy
Sex Bomb

Old 03-29-2023, 12:48 AM

For GL, I thought Citrus was cute. I didn't think it was AS problematic as it had been made out to be.
I think I remember Strawberry Panic was GL? And I might have enjoyed it? It's been soooo long

I can't seem to stick with a genre lately. I watched Toradora and really liked it. Tried NGE and hated it. Currently watching Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic and I'm falling in love with Hakuryuu and Juda(r/l)

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 03-29-2023, 01:02 AM

I was about to say it wasn't really because the one half is not actually girl, but I was thinking of Strawberry Eggs, not Strawberry Panic. Btw, Strawberry Eggs.......is problematic on so many levels. Starts off super funny and fun, ends up very cringe. I should look into Strawberry Panic, it looks interesting.

Toradora is love though!

I read more then I watch, right now I was reading Akatsuki no Yona which is absolutely fantastic. But I had to put it aside for now because book club (where we usually read Books, not manga) decided randomly to read Demon Slayer. We are only 5 chapters in but so far I'm enjoying it. I will probably continue Yona in between which I am closer to 200 chapters in

Last edited by Cora; 03-29-2023 at 01:07 AM..

ReiyukaE
(◎_◎;)

Old 04-05-2023, 08:04 AM

Switching genres is a great way to not get burned out, tho! So it's a good thing you're switching it up, Roxxxy. I haven't seen Magi but if it's making you fall in love with characters, WELL. Agreed that Toradora is fun.

AKATSUKI NO YONA IS AMAZING, OMG, YESSSS CORA. Also funny that book club decided to read a manga. But really fun that they're being openminded and reading a different medium. In the end it's all just storytelling. Glad to hear you're enjoying it. I've managed to remain pretty oblivious to anything Demon Slayer, but I will most likely end up reading or watching it at some point.
I tend to read a lot more than I watch, too, but there are so many series that I'm sort of keeping up with that I try to read short, completed series in between. Or so I say, after having bought volume one of Witch Hat Atelier the other day....

NEW ANIME SEASON IS UPON US.
What are we hyped about???

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 04-05-2023, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Switching genres is a great way to not get burned out, tho! So it's a good thing you're switching it up, Roxxxy. I haven't seen Magi but if it's making you fall in love with characters, WELL. Agreed that Toradora is fun.

AKATSUKI NO YONA IS AMAZING, OMG, YESSSS CORA. Also funny that book club decided to read a manga. But really fun that they're being openminded and reading a different medium. In the end it's all just storytelling. Glad to hear you're enjoying it. I've managed to remain pretty oblivious to anything Demon Slayer, but I will most likely end up reading or watching it at some point.
I tend to read a lot more than I watch, too, but there are so many series that I'm sort of keeping up with that I try to read short, completed series in between. Or so I say, after having bought volume one of Witch Hat Atelier the other day....

NEW ANIME SEASON IS UPON US.
What are we hyped about???
I think what I love most about Yona is that it really does a lovely job of showcasing how much every single character is the hero in someones story but the villain to someone else. With a rare few exceptions...all the characters are so human in that you don't always agree with them but you can see the good in them too. Also Hak is life. I'm just saying. I need a Hak in my life >.>

But I will also Adopt the dragons as my siblings. I adore them so much. My favorite changes quite frequently. Mostly Shin-ah, but I also really love Zeno. And I have this incredible soft spot for Jae-ha too. I do also love Kija, but he's my least favorite of the 4.

ReiyukaE
(◎_◎;)

Old 04-05-2023, 02:47 PM

That's a glorious way of looking at it and I do strongly agree. It really shows us how complex everyone is and how the narrative changes whether a person is a bad guy or a good guy. Or, you know, just a guy.

Both Hak and Yona are AMAZING. I need me a Hak, tho, because that man is gorgeous and loyal and strong and patient and mkajrmkajmaja. But yes. Amazing characters. Same with the dragons, whereas you said - it's impossible to truly pick a favorite because each is so amazing. Tho I also agree that Kija is my least favorite.
Zeno is most tragic, in my opinion. Just. My heart bleeds for him. For all of them, of course, but Zeno being unable to do much except to continue on and exist just breaks my heart when I think about it for too long. It feels like the cruelest punishment.

Kent
owo

Penpal

Old 04-05-2023, 03:34 PM

I just started watching Eternal Boys on hidive! It's lovely and it keeps giving you cliff-hangers so it makes you wanna keep watching, but the story is somewhat odd cuz the ex-salaryman gets the job without even knowing what the job is...

Also just finished the new season of Tsurune and god those boys are absolutely adorable and sweet. ; w;

I'm looking forward to Skip and Loafer and My Love Story with Yamada-kun for the new spring season of anime~ Doesn't seem like there's much I'm interested in this season. Wish there was a boys love or sports boys anime every season. > o>

Last edited by Kent; 04-05-2023 at 05:32 PM..

ReiyukaE
(◎_◎;)

Old 04-05-2023, 05:27 PM

Oooh, glad you've had some fun things to watch! I should see if Hi-Dive is available for my region - it wasn't a while ago, but maybe things have changed by now.
A bit more diversity in programming would be nice, I agree.

Tho a "thinner" season like this one is the perfect time to catch up on other series you've been wanting to watch. :)
Skip & Loafer and My Love Story with Yamada-kun are both on my list too, since I read their manga's. I'm also looking forward to Ranking of Kings season 2 and the continuation of the Ancient Magus Bride.

Kent
owo

Penpal

Old 04-05-2023, 06:01 PM

Hi-Dive is actually a really annoying app/platform... It doesn't seem to remember my watch history... They really need to update it. Hope you can get access to those anime some way or another though~

Yes! My thoughts exactly! I have so much from the winter season I still need to catch up on. I hope I get to watch Ranking of Kings eventually.. I didn't know Yamada-kun had a manga. I'd love to read it. O:

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 04-05-2023, 10:58 PM

Quote:
That's a glorious way of looking at it and I do strongly agree. It really shows us how complex everyone is and how the narrative changes whether a person is a bad guy or a good guy. Or, you know, just a guy.

Both Hak and Yona are AMAZING. I need me a Hak, tho, because that man is gorgeous and loyal and strong and patient and mkajrmkajmaja. But yes. Amazing characters. Same with the dragons, whereas you said - it's impossible to truly pick a favorite because each is so amazing. Tho I also agree that Kija is my least favorite.
Zeno is most tragic, in my opinion. Just. My heart bleeds for him. For all of them, of course, but Zeno being unable to do much except to continue on and exist just breaks my heart when I think about it for too long. It feels like the cruelest punishment.
Zeno is most tragic, my heart bleeds every time he just accepts that he should allow himself to be mutilated for the others. He may not die, but he still feels the pain.

Shin-ah though I think is the most precious. I just want to protect him forever.

But then Jae-ha.....I think when Jae-ha gets hurt that hurts me the most. I think its because Jae-ha is the most put together. Kinda the mature older brother who looks after the younger kids (even though Zeno is way older, he's still the little brother ) so when he gets hurt its heartbreaking too.