Admiral
Chancellor
Send a message via AIM to Admiral

Old 11-28-2013, 03:34 AM

So, I've been watching anime since Sailor Moon, DBZ, and Cardcaptor Sakura were on Cartoon Network in the USA. And I've seen some of the newer things, my favorite being Madoka Magica. But... is it just me, or are new animes kind of... meh? So many come out that I just can't bring myself to watch them.

These are my favorite animes and some that I've downloaded for watching later:

Favorites:

Sailor Moon:
I was really young when this came out and it is still one of my favorite animes. My favorite scout was Venus, I didn't like Tuxedo Mask, and Mini Moon was cute and amusing for me. I'm a bit scared of this 20th anniversary redone anime that they're going to make.

DragonBall Z:
Aaah, my brothers loved this, so I had to watch it if I wanted to watch anything else. Also I loved Vegeta, he was so cool! By far my favorite baddie-turned-good.

Cardcaptor Sakura:
I don't know what was cuter, Sakura and her outfits or Kero and his random jokes? ...Then you have the whole 8 year old dating her teacher, cousin love/incest themes, marrying your teacher pops up a couple times, the gay love between Sakura's brother and his best friend, lesbian love/unrequited from Tomoya to Sakura, Tomoya's mum/Sakura's mum... ...I don't think I'm forgetting much. All I know is that CCS had the most diverse set of relationships I had seen of an anime in the 90's or so.

Petshop of Horrors:
If you get the chance to read this, do. It starts out as varied horror stories themed around pets being sold and eventually killing their owners because the owners deserved it/did something wrong. It's ten volumes of love, and the sequel, Petshop of Horrors: Tokyo, has its own really good stories.

Kaleido Star:
A very sweet two-season anime about the circus, that has not a lot to do with love, even though we all want it to! It was very good, although "The AMAZING blank" (every title screen) got annoying after 3 episodes.

Princess Nine:
I'm not much for sports animes, but this one is about baseball and it's really very charming. One of my favorites, but not one I watch all the time.

Princess Tutu:
Oh yes, this is one of my favorites. I just adore Ahiru and Fakir. I don't even dislike Rue and Mytho. The characters had charm, stayed true to themselves, developed, and grew. It was all very well done, the nude jokes were minimal and appropriate, and the classical music throughout the series made me very happy.

Full Metal Panic:
I can't tell you how much I adore this series. I've bought all the books that came out in English, bought the DVDs, downloaded everything I could find ever, and... *sigh* So happy. The only comedy/romance/mecha series I really did like.

Some other series that were fabby but I don't want to ramble on forever about:
Tiger & Bunny
Azumanga Daioh
Wedding Peach
Tokyo Mew Mew
Sukeban Deka
Demashita! Powerpuff Girls Z
Pokemon (Season 1)
FLCL

So. Uh. Anyone else have any good anime from their childhood-ish time? Or suggestions of older anime that is good to watch? I'd like to know about a bunch of them, why people love them, and.. uh, I'll stop talking now. .///.;
*Hopes this topic isn't bad .-.;

Midorikawa
Um....................... .........

Old 12-04-2013, 09:37 PM

DBZ, Inuyasha, Pokemon. The usual stuff that used to be on adult swim. I know Naruto used to come on when I was a middle schooler so I don't know if that counts.

Techiro_Yugota
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-05-2013, 06:55 AM

Dragonball Z, Pokemon (first like 3 seasons), Monster Rancher, Yugioh, Beyblades, Digimon, Cardcaptor Sakura, Galaxy railway

Admiral
Chancellor

Old 12-05-2013, 11:47 AM

I feel like I've heard of Galaxy Railway, but I don't know what it's about in particular.

As for Naruto I don't count it because it still has updates in the present.

Ah, I feel like I forgot Glass Mask. Another good one.

I do recall Inu-Yasha, very good for its time. Ranma 1/2 was also a good lengthy series.

Techiro_Yugota
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-05-2013, 05:59 PM

Galaxy Railway is an OLD anime that use to be shown on the Sci-Fi channel paired up with the Fatal Fury Movie

Admiral
Chancellor

Old 12-06-2013, 11:50 AM

Damn. I never really watched the Sci-Fi channel, to be honest. I watched anime I loved (3x3 Eyes, Blue Seed) on one of the Starz channels, and then on Anime on Demand when it first came out. Now I don't buy the Starz or AoD channel, but I just download a ton of shows.

Techiro_Yugota
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-07-2013, 12:50 AM

yeah it's the anime that got me into it that and dbz when it first aired as a morning cartoon

Admiral
Chancellor

Old 12-07-2013, 03:33 AM

Ooh. My brothers had me watch DBZ if I wanted to watch Sailor Moon or Cardcaptor Sakura. I don't quit remember why, but we all had to watch all the other anime everyone else watched to watch what we wanted to see. o-o

Are there any good animes out there? I just got Princess Jellyfish that I'm going to try, but I'm going to start looking for new stuff soon. I love Shoujo, school life, and not super long series. 12-26 episodes is usually a good spot for me, 52 if I really really really like the series. Rarely do I ever go any longer. Sailor Moon was an exception.

Techiro_Yugota
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-07-2013, 06:11 AM

hmm,i'm trying to think

Admiral
Chancellor

Old 12-07-2013, 04:16 PM

I know most people might say Bleach, Fairy Tail, Naruto, One Piece, or something like them, but I'm on chapter 400 something of One Piece, it's just too much for a night or two of fun.

onsenmark
Walküre ga tomaranai!
Penpal
Send a message via AIM to onsenmark Send a message via Yahoo to onsenmark

Old 12-10-2013, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techiro_Yugota View Post
Galaxy Railway is an OLD anime that use to be shown on the Sci-Fi channel paired up with the Fatal Fury Movie
Actually, you're thinking of Galaxy Express 999. There is a Galaxy Railways show, but it's a prequel to GE999.

The TV version of GE999 is on Crackle, BTW, along with Space Pirate Captain Harlock.

Techiro_Yugota
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-10-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onsenmark View Post
Actually, you're thinking of Galaxy Express 999. There is a Galaxy Railways show, but it's a prequel to GE999.

The TV version of GE999 is on Crackle, BTW, along with Space Pirate Captain Harlock.
YES that's it! sorry,lol. I knew it was one of them.

Admiral
Chancellor

Old 12-10-2013, 11:36 AM

oxo *sits back and watches for a bit*

ClockworkLupine
Parchment, Ink, and Tea

Old 12-12-2013, 07:46 AM

Gundam Wing or Big O if you like mecha animes are pretty good. Um, also check out Neon Genesis Evangelion, I didn't like it too tough but a lot of other people do. It can be pretty dark at times, just a warning. Inu-Yasha, Yu-Yu Hakusho, Tenchi Muyo and Tenchi Universe (I didn't like Tenchi in Tokyo too tough), Digimon (first team of digi-destined), Love Hina, Outlaw Star, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop...

I could go on and on but those are just some suggestions. You can find all of Trigun on Youtube on the Funimation Channel last I looked. You might have to dig way back in their channel's archives but it's probably still there. If not, I've seen it pop up once or twice on Netflix.

Admiral
Chancellor

Old 12-12-2013, 11:37 AM

Ah, thank you very much! I'll have to see about downloading some of those when I get the chance.

hilarbees
2122-6101-0161 - N3DS
Send a message via MSN to hilarbees

Old 12-20-2013, 11:09 PM

I really loved Sailor Moon and Gundam Wing! They were probably two of my favorite shows ever. Gotta say, I watched them both in English first and then years later got around to watching them in Japanese, and I love, love, LOVE them in Japanese so much better.

Recently, though, I have found a couple of anime that I adore just as much as I love the nostalgic ones: Hyouka and Tsuritama. I love them so much! They are different and the characters are so cute! I'm a sucker for a set of good characters more than anything when it comes to anime...

After reading everyone's comments, I also love-loved Outlaw Star, Digimon, Monster Rancher, Trigun, Tenchi Muyo and Tenchi Universe! <3 Those are all great. Some of them are hard for me to watch now that I'm older, though... I did watch DBZ, but I don't think back on it as fondly as the others.

Last edited by hilarbees; 12-20-2013 at 11:24 PM..

Admiral
Chancellor

Old 12-21-2013, 11:12 PM

Ah, I was the same with Sailor Moon. Saw it in English first, Japanese later. And then I finally got to finish the manga when I downloaded it all. I can't wait for the reboot, but I'm scared at the same time.

I don't recall DBZ too fondly, but I read the manga for that as well. *huge manga person* I mostly just watched it because it was anime and it was new for me.

Aoi Kazuya
"I'm nobody, who are you?"

Old 12-28-2013, 05:06 PM

I haven't read the other posts yet, and I'll get to them, but I just have to say, Gundam Wing/Gundam Seed and Rorouni Kenshin. They were my first introductions to anime when i was like...a first grader? haha, i don't even remember, it was early elementary school i think though.

They were brilliant anime to start with I think. From there I went to Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura. Of course DragonBallZ was in there somewhere.

Oh gosh, I loved Prince of Tennis, as crazy long as it was.

Oh man there was so much. I remember Kaleido Star, I really loved the colors in that one. it was always so fun looking and the story itself was really nice too, though i have to agree, romance, haha, i really wanted it to happen xD

And Digimon, I miss the original series ahhh, so many animes to talk about~

Admiral
Chancellor

Old 12-28-2013, 05:41 PM

Aw man, did you watch the entire series for PoT? I think I owned like.. 20 of the books before I was like "Yeah no, let's stop this madness". I don't know what I ever did with those books. For all I know they could be out in the garage. They were good for a while, especially as I played tennis in school, but then it started to feel like DBZ with the crazy moves. XD

Oooh, Kaleido Star. <3 I watched the entire series (only 52 episodes, shockingly) in two or three days. You have no idea how annoyed my friend and I were by the opening screen every time. (The amaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing blah de blah!). I love love LOVED Leon and Sora though. They were just the cutiest couple. Even though it wasn't canon. ;_; But it was so close! I think every person who watched it wanted the romancin' to go on. And those who watched Princess Tutu. The ending for that made me cry. ;_;'' Poor librarian would come out while friends were watching it and would just watch us oooh and gush over it. I feel like some days, we were his entertainment in that basement. v__v;'''

I never really got into Digimon. I had pokemon already, and digimon just seemed too... weird.

Aoi Kazuya
"I'm nobody, who are you?"

Old 12-28-2013, 06:07 PM

I got to like episode one hundred and ninety something i think. lolol. I got stuck at some billiards filler ep, pfft. My friend and I just loved the characters a lot so we had a lot of fun making fun of the things that happened xD
As for the manga...at some point I just skipped to the last chapter, whoop.

I tried to watch the New Prince of Tennis anime, that got nowhere pretty quickly, lol

Ohh, Kamichama Karin gave me feels. It was so cutesy and it still, ugh.

I don't know, i liked Pokemon, but at some point it started feeling more like a cartoon than an anime to me. I just loved Digimon despite all the strangeness, but I guess starting off anime with Mecha and war and explosions and bloody samurais and stuff probably affected what kinds of anime i found enjoyable, whee~

Arialys
⊙ω⊙

Old 01-08-2014, 04:17 PM

My first anime was Ranma 1/2, followed by Neon Genesis Evangelion. I do agree that a lot of the newer stuff isn't all that great, probably because the industry is currently "sure fire profit" oriented, instead of "for the art that we hope will make a profit" oriented. An article of interest.

pink flamingo
ϵ( ‘Θ’ )϶
Penpal

Old 01-28-2014, 02:41 PM

.hack//Sign and Rurouni Kenshin are two of my all time anime favorites. I also feel like a lot of the anime today isn't as good as it was a few years back. I've had a hard time finding any good series recently. I did really enjoy the Dragon Ball Z Kai rerelease though.

Axenblade
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Axenblade

Old 02-08-2014, 02:17 PM

Cyber City Oedo 808 - It was a cyber punk series from the 80's that got dubbed over in the Early 90's with things like Dominion Tank Police and Battle Angel Alita. Every other line is a cuss and the writing is probably considered a little stale nowadays, but it'll always have a soft spot in my heart.

Dominion Tank Police, Venus Wars, Prince of Arislan and Battle Angel Alita will share similar places in my heart box too. They were my first steps into anime and all that crazy crap. Not as popular as DBZ and Salior Moon I admit, but hey, we all started somewhere.

fuzzy . chaos

Old 02-23-2014, 01:14 AM

For me, Gakuen Alice is nostalgic.
I watched it waaay back, so re-watching it really brings back old memories.
I try not to re-watch too much from my childhood though.
At that age, everything is so impressive.
It never seems as great when I'm older. So I try to remember it in that "coolest-thing-ever" sort of way from when I was a child.

waytodawn
⊙ω⊙

Old 02-23-2014, 01:43 AM

Gosh, Sailor Moon brings back so many memories! I dressed up as Sailor Moon for Halloween when I was a kid...the memories, haha. I also watched Dragon Ball And Dragon Ball Z. Those bring back a lot of memories as well :) I can't wait for the reboot of Sailor Moon!