Precarious Fool
Are you kitten me right meow?

Old 07-25-2010, 03:52 AM

I have written you a story!
Username: Precarious Fool
Submission:

SPOILERX

It grandest treasure to have sunken to the bottom of the sea in years, and only the crème de la crème would be in attendance. Only the highest class cephalopods would partake in the merriments, as tonight, the RMS Titanic was rumoured to be the finest ship around, and what luck that it would sink here! Oh, how the fates did favour the high class of this part of the Atlantic.

There the ship lay, magnificent as ever. Rose looked on with delight, she couldn’t believe her eyes, it was by far the most exciting thing to happen in her short lifetime. In her finest wig, matching perfectly to her chromatophores, which were a lovely hue in this temperature and setting, she propelled through the large opening in the ship’s hull, and into the waiting ball room. Accompanying her was her mother, and her mate to be, Caledon, whom she despised with a passion. But of course, what was supposed to be a lovely time was turned sour by the pressure of her mother to impress Caledon, and the command that Cal expressed over her. It drove her to near madness, and she found herself in forgotten corridors, beholding the sights of the sunken treasure.

It was there she found herself tangled in a mass of strange items, strange things fashioned into clothing, but far too large for any squid. Alone, and forgotten, she figured herself for dead, and at this point, nearly succumbed to the idea, anything to save her from the impending mating of her and Caledon. But before she couldn’t entirely give in, she felt the helping tentacle of another squid, guiding her from her near self-inflicted doom. Saved by this strange cephalopod, who cordially introduces himself as Jack, and invites her to join the… lower class in their merriments. Tired of the uptightness, she agrees to partake.

Her merriment did not last long, of course, separated from Jack by the will of her mother (and a most convincing squid-servant), she found herself sulking to the side. Ruth, her overly-dramatic mother chattered on as Rose ignored every sound, unable to care about the trifles of her life and misfortunes, as they were simply the least of her worries. “Mother dearest, you simply don’t understand! Caledon is not the squid for me, he is ages older than me, and his chromatophores are dull at best!” Her mother hissed in a most unflattering manner, “Silly girl! Do you not understand, our debts will be paid for, and he is a most respectable squid, his family has some of the longest tentacles this side of the Atlantic! His hectocotyli are the very bane of many a squids existence!” Rose chortled and propelled off, in search of something less dull. She was forbidden to see Jack, the lovely cephalopod, but that did not stop her, it couldn’t, class meant nothing in place of love.

At the very bow of the ship she found Jack once more, and there they embraced tentacles, mantle to mantle they pledged themselves to each other, a forbidden love. It where there they felt the first tremor, and the ship creek and moan under them. Everyone else was ignorant to the fact, too caught up in their frivolousness to understand the danger that was coming. They felt the first tug, and watched as the ship slowly began to be pulled towards the massive crevice that had formed.

Rose sped to the ballroom, trying to warn of the impending danger, feeling the ship be tugged harder, before it was too late for any of them to escape. Jack had gone to tell the others, as they partied deep in the ship, and had little time. Pure panic erupted in both parts of the ship, squids clawing at every opening to escape before they were drug down and gone forever. In the chaos Jack tried to work around, he needed to find Rose once more, and make sure she was safe. As the ship creaked and moan, pulled in by the suction of the crevice, the walls shifted, the stairwell that Jack worked through began to cave in, a stray board pinning his tentacle and making his escape impossible. All the while, Rose frantically searched the ship, wondering if Jack had left without her. It wasn’t long before she heard his screams for help. The ship was teetering on the edge of the dark pit, and threatened to fall in, and be gone forever.

“Jack!” Rose cried, frantically trying to move the debris to free him. She managed to move the board enough to free him, and they, tentacle in tentacle, sped through the sinking ship, searching for an exit. They could feel the pull of gravity, and the ship teetering on the edge, about to be sucked into the darkness. Their exit came in the form of a staircase leading to the top deck, where the pull from the cavern was so great that they were sucked towards the darkness, as they tried their escape, Jack was tugged into the darkness, wrapping her tentacles around him, Rose held on for their life.

“Rose, you have to get out of here!” He cried as he felt the ship start to give in, and slowly begin to slip, threatening to fall off of its precarious perch at any moment. “Not without you, Jack!” She pleaded, her grip on him slipping with every second. “I’ll never let go, Jack!” Rose cried, but his tentacle slipped from her grip, and in an instant he was sucked into the cavern, forever pulled into the darkness. In a last moment of strength, Rose found herself propelling away from the ship, breaking the hold that gravity had on her. From a distance she watched as the ship was swallowed by the darkness, and forever lost to their world.

Final notes: Kitteh is not happy with it, for whatever crazy reason. But since people are telling me to post, I shall. So, here yah go.

How can you spot the blind guy at the nudist colony? It's not hard.

Lise
NPC
NPC

Old 07-25-2010, 06:40 AM

nvs, Winter Wind, Nolori, Pearl, fairywaif, and Precarious Fool, :
Thank you for your submissions...

Snowflower:
I do not mind such themes.

[Pokered Face]:
Please read over the rules again, your submission does not qualify at the moment. You must include the phrase provided. Please edit your original submission post to include the phrase.

Naisou
Can't rain all the time

Old 07-25-2010, 06:47 AM

Username: Naisou
Submission: Didn't your mother tell you...

SPOILERX

“ARGG!!!!” cried a voice, “Hand over yer treasures or feel the sting of me blade!” Raising a sword, the figure stalked closer to her cowering prey. “I am the feared pirate Sitha! Surrender or DIE!!!”

Swinging her blade, she hit the man, once, twice, and yet again, before running past in search of another unwary soul. “I’ll gut all ye scallywags unless I get …oomph!” she exclaimed, landing on her rump as her billowy skirts poofed up around her. Pushing them down far enough to see a man calmly placing his booted foot back down on the deck, the now pouting young girl called out, “Hey! You tripped me!”

“Aye,” The sailor said, raising an eyebrow at the girl sprawled on the ship deck, “and you beat up me mast.” Taking the mop handle, he continued, “We need that intact to keep moving, and I don’ want to be shipwrecked in these waters.” He glanced at the many broken, sinking carcasses of ships long forgotten, “ ‘Specially not with you going round spouting off about one of the feared pirates in these here waters.” Poking her lightly with the toe of his boot, “ Asn’t your mutter told ye it’s mighty bad luck to speak a pirates name while out on open water?”

“Necia!!” A woman scolded, stopping in front of the girl, “What have you gotten into now? Look at your dress, covered in dirt, yet again!” Looking toward the sailor she asked, “Was she playing pirate again?”

“Aye Miss. Adilena, another mop down.”

“Necia, you know such things are childish and not befitting of a young woman.” Adilena said sternly, “Come along then, let us get you ready for bed.”

“But mama,” Necia protested, whilst following her mother, “Gama always tells tales about the pirate Sitha to me, and even lets me act them out. And, I’m only nine…”

“I know your grandmother is always telling you stories about Sitha, and I should have ended it long ago.” Sighing, she said wistfully, “I just did not have the heart to tell her to stop, she loves her stories so. I felt it would break her heart, and the good lord knows if it happened again…well… Get ready for bed, and I shall bring you dinner, Miss. ‘I’m only nine.’ ” She teased.

Necia crept back onto the deck in only her night dress, stealthily making her way to the side of the ship. It was long after the men aboard had gone to bed, and the boat was eerily quiet. Looking out over the dark water, fog creeping and curling around forlorn pieces of ships, Necia sighed, “If only I was a pirate. Then life would be interesting.”

“Aye, interesting.” A voice wafted from behind Necia.

Gasping, Necia spun, and she couldn’t believe her eyes. Before her stood a woman with wild auburn hair braided with shining jewels and beads.

“I…um…”

Chuckling the woman asked, “Were you not the one who spoke my name upon these waters?”

Necia’s eyes widened, “Sitha?” she breathed out shakily.

“Aye,” Necia quaked, “Be not afraid. I won’t hurt ye. Take this.” Sitha said, holding out her hand.

Shakily, Necia took the offering, “Licorice?” she questioned.

“Ta calm the nerves.” Necia nodded, nibbling slightly, “Hmm, Didn’t yer mother ever tell you ‘Don’t take candy from strangers?’” Necia’s eyes widened as she attempted to thrust the candy back to Sitha. “ ‘st okay little one, I’m not really a stranger.” Backing away, she whispered, “Being a pirate is to lead an empty life.”

Bouncing out of bed the next morning, Necia ran to her mother yelling, “Mum, you’ll never guess what happened last night! I saw Sitha! The most feared pirate alive!! She gave me candy, and this ring was on it!! Although it’s too big…”

Adilena’s face paled with each word her daughter spoke.

“She had auburn hair, like mine, and weird violet eyes!!”

All the crew had grown fearful at Necia’s words and were scouting the waters, looking for the tell-tale signs of a pirate raid.

Adilena shook, and then, in a burst of energy rushed to the railing, screaming out, “How DARE you! How DARE you give that ring to her!! Come near her!” Slumping down she cried out softly, “What made you come back…now?”

“It’s alright mama,” Necia said in a small voice, “She didn’t hurt me.”

“No, she wouldn’t do that.” She said wistfully.

“Take her Adilena. My ship is no place to raise a child,” looking over her shoulder towards the burning hull of a ship she sighed, laughing bitterly, “ ‘Tis no place for anyone now.”

“Then stay! It was hard enough saying goodbye the first time. Please…Sitha” Adilena begged, eyes watering, “You cannot make me do this again…”

“No,” shaking her wild tresses, “I have no home here any longer. I know you’ll take good care of her. You always were the better woman.” Kissing the baby’s shock of hair one last time, she handed the bundle over to the younger, shell shocked woman, who numbly took it.

“I cannot, …” she started, “I have no husband, …I”

“Neither do I, but we both know who the better mother will be, Adilena.” Tears welled in fierce purple eyes, “Please Addie, for me? I won’t ask anything else of you.” She began backing away, “Mother always did love you most. You were the daughter she always wanted.” Tears welled anew, “Take care of yourselves.”

As she turned away, Adilena whispered, “Mother always was proudest of you. You were everything she wasn’t supposed to want in a daughter, but did. I’ll look after your daughter, my sister.”

Slipping out of her memory, Adilena looked out and saw a ship with a wild auburn haired woman at the helm. Sitha raised her hand to her heart, and inclined her head. Adilena smiled slightly, “Come Necia, shall we find you a chain for your ring?”

Final notes: Word says the count is fine, and everywhere else says it isn't. :( If you want I can try and chop out more words...

Last edited by Naisou; 07-25-2010 at 05:30 PM..

Akutenshi Uke
The Weird Otaku Girl
Send a message via MSN to Akutenshi Uke

Old 07-25-2010, 08:01 AM

Ah stories ^^ I shall surely come up with one soon :3

And I know the feeling of running out of books.....

Iltu
do you think pigeons have feelin...

Old 07-25-2010, 04:42 PM

I just found out about this today, so if it's not too late, I've whipped a little something up!

Username: Iltu
Submission:

SPOILERX

“It. Is. Going. To. Be. A. Ball.”
“Liliya, darling, are you quite clear on the definition of ball?”
“Yes, I am, and this is to be one!” Liliya, thin of body and still childishly plump about the face, placed her hands on her hips and tossed her dark hair. “Really, Vladimíra, you treat me as if I know nothing at all!”
“I don’t mean to, sweetling,” Vladimíra said, sweeping over the floor of their bedroom to adjust a ribbon Liliya had displaced with her dramatic gesturing. Liliya repressed a role of the eyes. She’d always thought that Vladimíra, even though she was only thirteen, acted annoyingly like their mother, from her constant fussing to the endless pet names.

“Grand balls don’t happen at the edge of the wood,” Yeva, the second eldest, said primly. “That’s ridiculous. You have them in the capital, with the czar and czarina and all the nobles and glittering lights and—”

“You don’t have to have to be in the capital for a grand ball,” Vladimíra interrupted. Yeva was known to go on and on and on about the city and how marvelous it surely was, how opulent the splendor must be. It quickly became tiresome when she got to talking about it for more than a few seconds, as Liliya well knew.

“But they certainly don’t happen on the edge of the wood!” Vladimíra continued, now speaking to Liliya. “Beloved, it is a wonderful thing, your imagination, but a line must be drawn somewhere. There are bears and wolves in the woods.”
“Not to mention evil fairies, leshii, and Baba Yaga herself!” Yeva added in a whisper, shuddering.
“There’s no such things, lovely,” Vladimíra said in a know-it-all sort of voice.

“Yes there are!” Liliya cried. “Well, Baba Yaga is just a story, a wili told me so. And as for leshii, they smell a little funny, but they are such reasonable fellows! Fairies aren’t evil, either, but I suppose they are rather beastly if they don’t know you very well.”

“Liliya,” Vladimíra said desperately, “you are a creative child. It’s wonderful that you’ve thought up stories about all these wicked creatures from legend and made them into kindly beings, but you must understand that they simply aren’t real!”
“They are real, but they aren’t goodly,” Yeva argued, “remember when little Iov disappeared last winter? They never found him!”
“A tragedy, my dear, but he wandered off on his own and got lost in the woods. It’s very difficult to find someone or… or… or a body out there. It certainly doesn’t mean that there’s anything magical about that place!”

“There’s something magical about it, alright,” Liliya snapped, “but the forest folk would never take someone away!”
“Stop talking about them!” Yeva cried, “You’ll bring them to our house!”
“You brought them up first!” Liliya felt fury rising within her—how dare Yeva speak of the forest dwellers in such a way? She’d never even spoken to them!

“The point is,” Vladimíra sighed, silencing Yeva’s coming retort waving away the argument with a snow-white hand, “no, we won’t have a ball at the edge of the wood. If you so want to play pretend, Liliya, why don’t we have one in the kitchen? Father can play his gusli for us to dance to, we can wear our fine dresses without dirtying them, and it won’t be nearly so dangerous. I’m sure mother would even bake some bread and cook some meat for a feast beforehand, like they do in the cities!”

“NO!” Liliya shouted, stomping one foot, “It must be on the edge of the wood, don’t you understand?”
Her sisters did not. They continued to dispute the idea fervently, and with resignation, Liliya accepted that her sisters would not be joining her at the ball her otherworldly friends were so kindly hosting.

That night, Liliya slipped into her best dress, dark green and embroidered with lace and golden thread. She did so without so much as a rustle of skirts, so as not to wake her sleeping sisters. Slipping out of their room without a noise was easier than she had thought it would be, the door didn’t make a sound. She crept through the kitchen, past her parent’s room. A pair of loud snores from within assured her that parents slept soundly.

As soon as she was out of the house, Liliya took off at a run, dashing away into the night. Past the large rocks, down the path, around a curve in the trees, out of sight of the village. When she came around the last bend, she gasped. She couldn’t believe her eyes. The mystic forest folk all wore their best finery, their garments and movements more elegant than anything that could be seen along mortals. The fairies that were present flitted about above the festivities, casting beautiful lights on all the dancers. Surely, even the czar’s most glorious ball couldn’t compare to this!

Crying a joyous hello, she joined the dancing. The wili, the leshii, the fairies, they all whirled about her, laughing and singing and saying how pleased they were that she’d come. Liliya spun about with them, not a care in the world.

“Come,” they cried at the end of their dancing, just as the moon was beginning to sink. “Come, our feast is waiting, just a little ways into the wood!”
Liliya paused. The wood was their domain. Legend said you couldn’t eat the food of another realm and leave again, but surely that was just another foolhardy story. Her friends from the wood were always so benevolent, and would never dream of trying to steal her away. Laughing at the absurdity of her hesitation, Liliya followed them into the darkness.

Unearthly creatures are, of course, known to be deceptive.

All her sisters could ever find was a ribbon from her hair, resting at the edge of the forest.

It was a shame, those less superstitious said, how often wandering children were lost in the woods.

Final notes: I like Eastern European folklore a whole lot, and thought I'd do something with it in my entry. This takes place some centuries ago in Russia, though I've not an exact time period in mind.

Last edited by Iltu; 07-25-2010 at 08:19 PM..

Yumeh
(≚ᄌ≚)
NPC

Old 07-25-2010, 05:25 PM

Username: Meow
Submission:

SPOILERX

Meeooww, meow, meow. Hiss, meeooww, *Shows claws*, Meow, meow, *Shreds Lise's favorite stockings* *Admires work* Meow, meow.

Final notes: *Secret ninja kitty*

nvs
\ (•◡•) /

Old 07-25-2010, 06:09 PM

Oh my Yumeh, you forgot to read the rules! You didn't include the sentence provided or the required word. I'm afraid you will be disqualified! But it is a nice story you have there.

Cicadetta
Rambling Woolgatherer
Send a message via AIM to Cicadetta Send a message via MSN to Cicadetta

Old 07-25-2010, 06:16 PM

No, it's there, nvs. It's just in, um, kitty language!

Quote:
Meow, meow
translates to "He couldn't believe his eyes." :yes: It's probably in reference to the stockings.

Vix Viral
┌(・。・...
Send a message via AIM to Vix Viral Send a message via MSN to Vix Viral

Old 07-25-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolori View Post
@Pearl: D'aw, thanks Pearl. I wouldn't be so worried though. At least not about me. I don't particularly like my piece. I think zombies are easier for me to write about than shipwrecks. Haha.

It's Vix I think we need to watch out for. Her's gave me H.P. Lovecraft flashbacks.
Haha I don't think there's anything to worry about. My entry for this contest is pretty tame.

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 07-25-2010, 08:20 PM

Username: Wings of Writing
Submission: After the Ball

SPOILERX

“I loved him,” the auburn haired girl whispered as she looked around her, sadness shining in her eyes and in the crystal drops pouring from her eyes. “Was that such a crime?”
Of course there was no answer, there was no one to answer her, the girl wearing the tattered rags of a once beautiful sapphire ball gown was completely alone, but perhaps we are starting this story a bit too late. After all, this night had started relatively normal for Adalae.
She was attending yet another ball thrown by her parents, but she didn’t know the truth of this ball. Her parents were tired of her mooning over someone beneath her. So this night they were going to introduce her to her fiancé. No one expected things to go so wrong.
Adalae looked around the wreckage that was left of, well, her life and she couldn’t believe her eyes. “How could this happen…?” she whispered aghast, but then Adalae knew the answer to that. She had played with fire, and now she was feeling its burn.
When Adalae had realized her parents’ intentions for the night she did the only thing she could think of. She’d prayed to Kackin, the last god she should have prayed to but the one most likely to grant her wish. Kackin was infamous for giving a person their heart’s desire, but always with a steep price attached, and he always exacted that price.
Kackin had given Adalae her deepest desire, she could finally be in her loves arms even though he was a servant. She and her Foley had enjoyed their night of bliss. Neither of them aware what awaited at the end.

“I’m sorry…” Adalae whispered as she collapsed to the ground, her tattered dress draping around her. “When he said I’d pay the price I didn’t think he meant this…”
After spending the night in Foley’s arms, Foley escorted Adalae to her room. All Adalae could feel was the bliss of love, but once she shut her bedroom door, the night of wonder officially declared over. Kackin appeared before her once more. He was stunning to look at as always, he white clothes shown with a radiance that mortals could only hope to achieve. “You’ve enjoyed your fun, daughter. Now it’s time for mine.” With those words Kackin faded from her room, and the next thing Adalae heard was screams. For hours, Adalae was trapped in her room listening to the dying screams of her people. Kackin had indeed exacted his price, a price paid in the blood of those she loved…
“I killed you all…” Adalae whispered remorse and horror choking her, “I’m so sorry, I just wanted to be happy for one night, to be permitted to love him just once. I didn’t mean for it to be the last night…” Yet there wasn’t a soul left alive in her home, in fact there wasn’t much of home left, just charred fragments that told the story of a god’s fee enacted on a silly girl. Adalae sat there crying as she smoothed out her torn ball gown, “Just take it back…” she whispered her voice a muffled sob. “Take me back, I’ll do anything just let them not be dead, please….!” She finished with an anguished cry.
So lost in her tears Adalae didn’t notice the restoration that was happening around her. The fragments around her were slowly growing back into a magnificent mansion around her. The charring was disappearing and then, as if shades, people slowly started filing in. Until one person finally approached Adalae, “My love why do you cry?” asked the man dove grey eyes looking softly at the woman he loved.
Adalae gasped and looked up her deep blue eyes, so blue they were violet, landing on a man dressed in a servant’s uniform but as handsome as any prince. “Foley…?” she asked questioningly, “but you should be dead, you should all be dead.”
“Dead, my love?”
“Yes, Kackin killed you, as payment for my wish of a night of love in your arms.”
Foley laughed softly, “I think you’ve imbibed a bit too much tonight my dear, come let me get you to bed.”
Adalae looked around amazed, once again unable to believe what she was seeing. It was the end of the ball again, and things were whole, how could this be? Adalae shook her head, not going to question, she could be happy with Foley again and that’s what mattered.
Somewhere high above the ball, that would continue forever, laughed a god with radiant white clothes and blonde hair so blonde it was white. He looked over at his minions and chuckled, “Wonder when they’ll realize they are ghosts?”

Final notes: I wrote this really fast so probably not my best work, but I hope you enjoy.

Esmme
See you later, Cole. "How do you...

Old 07-25-2010, 08:20 PM

*cringe* Yumeh! Lise isn't going to very happy with you. >_<'

[Pokered Face]
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 07-25-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lise View Post
[Pokered Face]:
Please read over the rules again, your submission does not qualify at the moment. You must include the phrase provided. Please edit your original submission post to include the phrase.

Oops my bad. I thought sure that I had saw that in there. D:
But I have fixed it! :]

Nolori
Everyone's Favorite Imaginary Fr...

Old 07-25-2010, 09:35 PM

@Vix: I thought it was great!

@Yummeh: That was the most beautiful story in the whole wide world. Winner!

Vix Viral
┌(・。・...

Old 07-25-2010, 10:15 PM

@Nolori: Really? I thought it felt rushed and just kind of suddenly thrown together :sweat:

I was at a party last night (and am still recovering) so I haven't finished reading the entries yet. I'll try again once I can actually focus on the screen :lol:

Nolori

Old 07-25-2010, 10:28 PM

@Vix: Considering there was a 1000 word limit I'm not really sure how you could make it not rushed. And I hope you get to it soon, there are some really good ones in here!

Vix Viral
┌(・。・...

Old 07-25-2010, 10:42 PM

@Nolori: Doesn't help that I can get wordy from time to time either, haha.
I definitely will, it's just hard to concentrate on anything for very long right now. I tried taking a nap but failed so I'm running on roughly three hours of sleep.

Nolori

Old 07-25-2010, 10:48 PM

@Vix: Sometimes I turn on cartoons and just fall asleep to that. Have you tried anything like that?

Vix Viral
┌(・。・...

Old 07-25-2010, 10:57 PM

@Nolori: I can't fall asleep to inconsistent noise, it has to be something that doesn't change like the fan I sleep with every night.