Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 07-12-2008, 03:12 PM

Wow! That is a lot of reading! 0.0

I have a job that is just under full time, plus I love running around on-line.

So even if I did read manga, I would still only have my list set at twenty-five books.

Lilith W
bookworm

Old 07-12-2008, 03:18 PM

I've got it set at so much because when I buy books I get like 20 at a time and then I have to read them. And I read instead of eating on my lunch breaks.

Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 07-12-2008, 03:32 PM

I am soooo far behind on my novel reading. XD

I must have a thousand novels waiting for me.

Lilith W
bookworm

Old 07-12-2008, 03:58 PM

I have a lot of books I want to read and like 5 that I own that need to be read.

Zaphod
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-12-2008, 10:33 PM

Oo I really like this thread. I think I I'll start making a list..It's gonna be small though.

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 07-13-2008, 02:39 AM

I hit a few library sales this morning and came home with a handful of books. Not as many as usual, but enough to keep me busy for another few weeks.

I've got:

The Eternal Smile by Par Lagerkvist
Dead Souls by Gogol
The Oath by Elie Wiesel
The Yellow Wallpaper by Gilman

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 07-13-2008, 03:08 AM

You catch a lot of sales, Knerd.

Pick up 1984 for me? :o

Lilith W
bookworm

Old 07-13-2008, 01:19 PM

@Knerd- What is The Yellow Wallpaper about?
In high school someone did a report on a book or short story with a title like that and I wanted to read the book but I have not been able to remember the title. I wonder if this is it.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 07-13-2008, 04:44 PM

@Cherry: I probably have a few copies of that lying around, actually. I see it all the time at these kinds of sales. :XD

@Lilith: It's a short story about a woman who is taking a vacation in the 19th century. Her doctor has declared her sick, so he and her husband are forcing her to stay in this small country estate for a few months in order to relax her body and mind. She's not allowed to do anything taxing. So even though she's writing this little journal, she has to sneak it in and be careful that no one realizes she's still writing. Slowly, she gets a bit insane and becomes obsessive about the yellow wallpaper in the bedroom she's sleeping in. It used to be a nursery, but now the windows are barred and it's been turned into a kind of jail cell for her.

It's a good piece of writing - I first read it in high school for one of my classes. I don't love it, but I saw it on sale and just grabbed it up for a few cents.

Lilith W
bookworm

Old 07-13-2008, 04:49 PM

Ok, then that is the same book.
It was a group project and everyone that read that story said the same thing you said. It was good but not their favorite.
I need to get it.

Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 07-13-2008, 04:50 PM

I read that short story in college and did not like it. It's creepy. She gets penned up in that little room, goes crazy, and ends up stepping over somebody's body each time she paces the walls of the room. *Shudder!*

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 07-13-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knerd View Post
@Cherry: I probably have a few copies of that lying around, actually. I see it all the time at these kinds of sales. :XD
Ugh! Lucky! I haven't been able to find it on the sites I go to.
I mean, I could buy it new, but, god, that's not worth it. >.< Books are too expensive for how quickly I read them.

How do you go about finding out about all these sales? Maybe I could find one near me that would have it.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 07-13-2008, 07:17 PM

Most libraries near me have sales every summer. Sometimes it's only one per season, but I know of a few that have them every other week. There are even a couple flea markets around here that have book venders sometimes.

If you don't want to spend any money on 1984, you can read it online for free.
Here's a good site.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 07-13-2008, 09:14 PM

Knerd - Hmm, I'll have to look around, then.

And I think that site just has a summary, not the actual story. Thanks anyway, though. :D

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 07-13-2008, 09:44 PM

Oopps, wrong link. I took a quick look at the page and thought it was another site.

This one should have the full text.

I have too many sites like this bookmarked...

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 07-13-2008, 11:16 PM

Thank you!

teacupmouse
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-14-2008, 09:31 PM

Oh, my goodness. This is the first I've heard of the challenge. I love to read, so I have to give this a try.

Tomes and Teacups

Running count: Thirteen/Fifty

Divine Endurance by Gwyneth Jones 232 pages.
copyright 1984. ISBN 0-812-54281-9
Quote:
Intelligent, elegant, heartless: Divine Endurance is just as her makers meant her to be - but a cat, a creature owing no loyalty to anyone, makes a dangerous toy. The angel doll Cho is innocent and gentle; to see her is to love her. But with Divine Endurance at her side, she becomes the deadliest danger of all. Together they set out in search of Cho's lost brother, but the world has changed . . . Cho can grant any wish of the human heart - but when the last wish is granted, what happens then?
Begun July 14, 2008 Finished July 17, 2008

The Walking Dead Volume One Days Gone By Graphic Novel Image Comics Robert Kirkman and Tony Moore
144 pages copyright 2006 ISBN 1-58240-672-3
Quote:
An epidemic of apocalyptic proportions has swept the globe, causing the dead to rise and feed on the living. In a matter of months, society has crumbled: There is no government, no grocery stores, no mail delivery, no cable TV. Rick Grimes finds himself one of the few survivors in this terrifying future. A couple months ago he was a small town cop who had never fired a shot and only ever saw one dead body. Separated from his family, he must now sort through all the death and confusion to try and find his wife and son. In a world ruled by the dead, we are forced to finally begin living.
The Walking Dead Volume Two Miles Behind Us Graphic Novel
136 pages ISBN1-58240-413-5
The Walking Dead Volume Three: Safety Behind Bars
136 pages ISBN 978-1582404875
The Walking Dead Volume Four: The Heart's Desire
136 pages ISBN 978-1582405308
The Walking Dead volume Five:The Best Defense
136 pages ISBN 978-1582406121
The Walking Dead Volume Six: This Sorrowful Life
144 pages ISBN 978-1582406848

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory 664pages
Copyright 2001 ISBN 978-0-7432-2744-5
Quote:
Sisterly rivalry is the basis of this fresh, wonderfully vivid retelling of the story of Anne Boleyn. Anne, her sister Mary and their brother George are all brought to the king's court at a young age, as players in their uncle's plans to advance the family's fortunes. Mary, the sweet, blond sister, wins King Henry VIII's favor when she is barely 14 and already married to one of his courtiers. Their affair lasts several years, and she gives Henry a daughter and a son. But her dark, clever, scheming sister, Anne, insinuates herself into Henry's graces, styling herself as his adviser and confidant. Soon she displaces Mary as his lover and begins her machinations to rid him of his wife, Katherine of Aragon. This is only the beginning of the intrigue that Gregory so handily chronicles, capturing beautifully the mingled hate and nearly incestuous love Anne, Mary and George ("kin and enemies all at once") feel for each other and the toll their family's ambition takes on them. Mary, the story's narrator, is the most sympathetic of the siblings, but even she is twisted by the demands of power and status; charming George, an able plotter, finally brings disaster on his own head by falling in love with a male courtier. Anne, most tormented of all, is ruthless in her drive to become queen, and then to give Henry a male heir. Rather than settling for a picturesque rendering of court life, Gregory conveys its claustrophobic, all-consuming nature with consummate skill. In the end, Anne's famous, tragic end is offset by Mary's happier fate, but the self-defeating folly of the quest for power lingers longest in the reader's mind.
Copyright 2002 Cahners Business Information, Inc.
The Boleyn Inheritance by Phillipa Gregory 518 pages
Copyright 2006 IBSN 978-0-7432-7251-3
Quote:
From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. Returning to the scene of The Other Boleyn Girl, historical powerhouse Gregory again brings the women of Henry VIII's court vividly to life. Among the cast, who alternately narrate: Henry's fourth wife, Bavarian-born Anne of Cleves; his fifth wife, English teenager Katherine Howard; and Lady Rochford (Jane Boleyn), the jealous spouse whose testimony helped send her husband... and sister-in-law Anne Boleyn to their execution. Attended by Lady Rochford, 24-year-old Anne of Cleves endures a disastrous first encounter with the twice-her-age king—an occasion where Henry takes notice of Katherine Howard. Gregory beautifully explains Anne of Cleves's decision to stay in England after her divorce, and offers contemporary descriptions of Lady Rochford's madness. While Gregory renders Lady Rochford with great emotion, and Anne of Cleves with sympathy, her most captivating portrayal is Katherine, the clever yet naïve 16th-century adolescent counting her gowns and trinkets. Male characters are not nearly as endearing. Gregory's accounts of events are accurate enough to be persuasive, her characterizations modern enough to be convincing. Rich in intrigue and irony, this is a tale where readers will already know who was divorced, beheaded or survived, but will savor Gregory's sharp staging of how and why. (Dec. 5)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
272 pages ISBN 978-0307341549
Quote:
From Publishers Weekly
Flynn gives new meaning to the term "dysfunctional family" in her chilling debut thriller. Camille Preaker, once institutionalized for youthful self-mutilation, now works for a third-rung Chicago newspaper. When a young girl is murdered and mutilated and another disappears in Camille's hometown of Wind Gap, Mo., her editor, eager for a scoop, sends her there for a human-interest story. Though the police, including Richard Willis, a profiler from Kansas City, Mo., say they suspect a transient, Camille thinks the killer is local. Interviewing old acquaintances and newcomers, she relives her disturbed childhood, gradually uncovering family secrets as gruesome as the scars beneath her clothing. The horror creeps up slowly, with Flynn misdirecting the reader until the shocking, dreadful and memorable double ending. She writes fluidly of smalltown America, though many characters are clichés hiding secrets. Flynn, the lead TV critic for Entertainment Weekly, has already garnered blurbs from Stephen King and Harlan Coben. 5-city author tour; foreign rights sold in 10 countries. (Oct.)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Fire in the Mist by Holly Lisle
288 pages, ISBN 0-671-72132-1
Quote:
Take a simple shepard girl with magic in her blood, raised in the back country, living free. The destroy her, but let her get away and grow to magehood. Now, you're in trouble.--back cover of the book
Resident Evil: Extinction Novelization by Keith DeCandido
353 pages ISBN 978-14165-44982
Quote:
Following the events of Resident Evil: Apocalypse, the beautiful, dangerous, enigmatic Alice returns, and this time she and her fellow survivorCarlos Olivera are running with a pack of humans led by a new ally, Claire Redfield. Together they are cutting through the wastelands of the United Stateson a long trek to Alaska. Hunted by the minions of the scheming Dr. Isaacs, Alice has zombies hungry for her flesh and the Umbrella Corporation's monstrouslab rats hungry for her blood...while Alice herself hungers only for revenge.
Dead City by Joe McKinney
288 pages ISBN 978-0786017812
Quote:
Battered by five cataclysmic hurricanes in three weeks, the Texas Gulf coast and half of the Lone Star State is reeling from the worst devastation in history. Thousands are dead or dying- but the worst is only beginning. Amid the wreckage, something unimaginable is happening: a deadly virus has broken out, returning the dead to life- with an insatiable hunger for human flesh..

Last edited by teacupmouse; 08-06-2008 at 03:11 PM..

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 07-14-2008, 09:34 PM

Teacup - Your quote tag is broken. Delete the space at the end of the first one.

Aha, I finally found 1984 on one of my book trading sites! So I can read it at places aside from the computer. :D
And I also got Great Expectations today. Add that to the mountain of books that I need to read. o_o

Kazunomiya Nanashi
Send a message via MSN to Kazunomiya Nanashi

Old 07-14-2008, 11:48 PM

Hm, I can't say I've ever heard of this until I joined Menewsha. I might give it a try next year, not sure I should start it right now.. I'll only end up stressing myself out. xD

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 07-15-2008, 12:06 AM

Kazu - It doesn't have to be fifty books. Just set a goal that you think you can achieve. Like maybe 25 books?
And you can count books you read earlier on in this year, if you're starting late in the year. I did.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 07-15-2008, 12:22 AM

I've edited the tags for teacupmouse - It should be working fine now.

And I've finished reading The Accident. I think that I added it to my list last night, just before I signed off. So now I just have to pick out what novel to read next.

Kearin
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to Kearin Send a message via MSN to Kearin Send a message via Yahoo to Kearin

Old 07-15-2008, 03:38 AM

I just finished a couple of books but haven't had a whole lot of time to update my list. >.<;

The Host was the one I just finished and I absolutely loved it.
Doesn't seem like there's all that many people on Menewsha who've finished it yet though. :(

Skrae
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to Skrae Send a message via Yahoo to Skrae

Old 07-15-2008, 01:33 PM

Kearin, what's it about? It sounds vaguely familiar.

I just got And Less Than Kind by Mercedes Lackey from the library night, and another Harry Dresden book by Jim Butcher.
I'll let you know how they are after I get to em.
^w^

Mama Juru
Why you crying?
Assistant Administrator

Old 07-15-2008, 02:26 PM

Reserving this spot since I've been doing a bunch of reading lately... I can't believe I've never posted here before, lol.

Kearin
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to Kearin Send a message via MSN to Kearin Send a message via Yahoo to Kearin

Old 07-15-2008, 05:37 PM

@ Skrae: It's a new adult novel by Stephenie Meyer. :) It's a sci-fi and deals with aliens.... Even though I hate saying its a sci-fi since its so much more than that once you've read it. ^^
I couldn't put it down. All her books do that to me. :)