Admiral
Chancellor
Send a message via AIM to Admiral

Old 12-15-2013, 06:48 PM

I have a lot of nicknames, sadly. The last school I was at called me Queen Bee. =///= It was kind of awkward when a girl walked by me wearing a necklace that said "Queen Bee" and they told her to take it off because she was not the ruler. My girliness was kind of hidden, having grown up in a male dominated family. But I'm super girly on the inside and love pink, white, silver, and pearl. I mean I have my darkside, I'm a natural Slytherin and often just want to sit back and watch the world burn. oxo But overall I think I'm half and half. Half girly, half tomboy.

Ah, so many "ess"s added to names! I think they just got lazy and decided women needed longer titles to feel more important, so add an extra few letters to make it seem okay! Maybe it's a mental thing. Like we need bigger words to feel more valued? o-o Oh no. What if we need to feel important and we take the titles and think it makes us more important and then the men were right?!!

I think there are good, bad, and neutral fairies that just try to stay out of everyone's way. I mean you have your "good" fairies like in Disney and from most fairy tales, your "bad" fairies like imps and minions that just try to mess everything up, and your neutral fairies, like Bowie ones, that just kind of fly around until someone bothers them. If a giant tried to touch me I might try to bite them too!

*Is just going to drool over some CI's for now and chew on a piece of her cover letter while she tries to stave off buying anything for a few moments* Pirate's Booty.. Must drool. ono

Alexander J Luthor
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-15-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
Bahaha, quoting number game.

1- Ah, it's such a good soundtrack though, everyone should listen to it until they hate themselves! Here, I'll start us all off. "You remind me of the babe."

2. I read Pern a lot when I was in school. It was the only trilogy-in-one book I ever enjoyed because it was a world I had wanted to live in. And although the white dragon was a weak mutation, it was still my favorite because it was so pretty and unique. And I tend to favor runts. n_n; I think a clutch would be too many, but a dragon for each shoulder/arm, that'd be nice.

3. Ooh, I've never seen Avatar. So I have no idea what you're talking about. ;; But I imagine it'd still be fun and interesting to live with.
I don't think I could feed them all. To feed Menolly's you'd need to slaughter a new cow every week. Then again they feed maybe once or twice a week when they're grown. What I really want is a watchwher. They're about the size of a donkey and brutal as hell. And then there's the revelation that they were bred to be night dragons because Wind Blossom didn't want people knowing that thread fell at night, which would be terrifying.

In the first show, they lived in sort of Eastern medieval times, and in Korra's they expanded to the early 1900s in about 80 years. Cars, tv, radio, boxing... The police are earthbenders who know how to metal bend and work as a military force with a giant police station, and the power plant is worked by firebenders who can bend lightning. We haven't seen it, but I can only assume that the top doctors in the hospital are waterbenders. Imagine average jobs that could be aided with magic/creatures that we find tedious instead of benders.

OH WAIT, GOOD EXAMPLE: The winter wrap up episode of MLP when they talk about how Ponyville used to be exclusively earth ponies and how they had to wrap up winter without pegasi flying or unicorn magic. Life was made SO MUCH MORE convenient with magic.

Admiral
Chancellor

Old 12-16-2013, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander J Luthor View Post
I don't think I could feed them all. To feed Menolly's you'd need to slaughter a new cow every week. Then again they feed maybe once or twice a week when they're grown. What I really want is a watchwher. They're about the size of a donkey and brutal as hell. And then there's the revelation that they were bred to be night dragons because Wind Blossom didn't want people knowing that thread fell at night, which would be terrifying.

In the first show, they lived in sort of Eastern medieval times, and in Korra's they expanded to the early 1900s in about 80 years. Cars, tv, radio, boxing... The police are earthbenders who know how to metal bend and work as a military force with a giant police station, and the power plant is worked by firebenders who can bend lightning. We haven't seen it, but I can only assume that the top doctors in the hospital are waterbenders. Imagine average jobs that could be aided with magic/creatures that we find tedious instead of benders.

OH WAIT, GOOD EXAMPLE: The winter wrap up episode of MLP when they talk about how Ponyville used to be exclusively earth ponies and how they had to wrap up winter without pegasi flying or unicorn magic. Life was made SO MUCH MORE convenient with magic.

Ewww, thread would just be wretched, honestly, if we had it here. But I really got into the Pern series because of the main character, Lessa. She was just... awesome. I started it in Sr. High and just kind of adored her. And F'lar, he was highly amusing to me. But they'd take too much food, I know. We'd have to have way, way less people on the planet and far more places for dragons and other such things to roam and live.

That sounds like a very interesting thing, bringing magic with us as we keep changing. It sounds more interesting to just go through time and use magic like that then to have it as some newfangled thing or creepy secret like we have in our closets. A much better idea than what most stories do with it now. v_v;

Ah, MLP, so many things to talk about regarding that show. Mostly about feathered wings vs scaled ones, Alicorn rulers, how in the hey they got Alicorn as a title thing, and what will become of Twilight now? I saw last night's episode and I just cannot WAIT for this all to boil down into one beautiful story! I'm so excited for it. n_n;

Alexander J Luthor
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-16-2013, 05:26 AM

I liked Lessa, but I hated her, too. And I hated F'lar once I realized how abusive he was. My favorites from the main storyline would have to be F'nor and Brekke and, I think it was, T'gellan and... crap, what's her name. The first female green rider in centuries. Mirrim! Thank you, wikipedia. She had a nasty personality when she wanted to, but I feel it's both because she was being groomed to be the next headwoman of the weyr and all green riders are known to be extremely testy and emotional due to being attached to a dragon that goes into heat far more often than the others. Other favorites were AIVAS and Toric. The way AVIAS essentially killed himself so that Pern would not follow in the footsteps of its ancestral planets...

This chat is making me feel like writing again. Trueblood, I think, has monsters in the open, but I really don't want to get into that. And I can totally understand why Supernatural keeps that stuff under wraps.

I need to watch that on Netflix, I'm behind. Who care's if it's for kids? There are sooo many adult jokes in that show. I can't tell you how many times I read "erectile dysfunction" in the youtube section of Zacura's first episode. It was terrible.

Last edited by Alexander J Luthor; 12-16-2013 at 05:31 AM.. Reason: posted too quick

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 12-16-2013, 05:38 AM

i've always loved tink
*has on tinkerbell pj's*

Admiral
Chancellor

Old 12-16-2013, 11:49 AM

Oh Pern, if only I could live in your world. And I feel bad for female green riders. I do feel males are more suited because they're in the mood more, but that poor thing. I never noticed any abuse from F'lar, but I also could've just been trying not to see it. I tend to shy away from those sort of situations, which is kind of why I watch MLP.

Ah, True Blood. I got through three episodes before I changed my opinion of it. I thought it'd be interesting and different, but it was another sex murder/mystery/Rom and Jul mixover. I prefer Beauty and the Beast for my murder mysteries. Never got into Supernaturals.

Ah, MLP. I watched it as a wee tot and when the new series first came out I was skeptical. But I forgot about it, DL'd it for fun, and adore it. I now hawk out every new episode every week. I agree completely with the sad johnson jokes from Zakura's first episode. I could not stop laughing. And if I have a choice between Bad Girls Club, CSI, or any other show that's premise is everyone be violent, get raped, and suffer abuse before you die, and innocent adorable ponies who sing? Ponies every time.

@hummy- Tink is highly amusing. Such a personality change in her CGI movies than her original debut film, though. The movies are cute anyway.

Alexander J Luthor
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-17-2013, 12:02 AM

Especially in the beginning of their relationship, F'lar would grab Lessa by the shoulders, often til it hurt, and shook her poor brains out. When she comes back in time with the other weyrs she's greeted and told that she jumped three days too far and had to go back, to which she remarked in a terrified voice, "But he'll shake me!" When that line was said with such fear I went back through the book and was astounded by how horribly F'lar treated her. I was shaken by an older sister back when she had a size advantage. As harmless as it sounds, the headaches are ridiculously painful. Due to all the sensory obstruction it's like having a full migraine.

If you don't enjoy confrontation run from Supernatural. Run far. There are at least 10 episodes that give me nightmares if I watch them after dark. What's weird is I don't think any of those episodes are a part of the main plot...

I feel like I should mention something, but I don't want to destroy MLP for you. Fanfiction. *shudders* There are some things that shouldn't be written.

BrotherOfDarkness
*^_^*

Penpal

Old 12-17-2013, 12:42 AM

Okay love this, and am subscribing instantly! Love mythology. And everything about it! It is hard to find comprehensive sources for all information, i regret to say it, there is sites etc... That have great lists, but they miss out backgrounds/origins and alternative ideas... So Wikipedia is pretty good!

So fairies? Well so many different manifestations, can be connected with sprites, imps, pixies but there not one of the creatures I have looked into that much, but will run off now and research!

Admiral
Chancellor

Old 12-17-2013, 03:58 AM

@Alexander- Ah, now that you mention it, I do remember the shaking. ...oh goodness. o-o Now my views of Pern are tainted! *shuts herself up in the corner* And MLP? Would that be... Cupcakes, or My Little Dashie? Almost a year ago to the day someone had me read both those stories. I cried for Dashie and had nightmares about Cupcakes.

@Brother- Oh, welcome! We got kind of scattered, talking about dragons and such, but we can have normal talks about anything mythology related! ..And other things. What mythologies were you interested in? I like to talk about Greek, Roman, Celtic, Norse, and tidbits from Egyptian and others. My favorite gods to study are Apollo, Artemis, Hermes, Venus, Pluto, Freya, Loki, Susa-no-Wo, Ra, Bast, Isis... o-o ...The list goes on and on. I usually reference my Encyclopedia of Mythology, but I have a new book that makes zero sense to me, saying that Zeus had no lovers and Hera wasn't related to him in the slightest. It seems... really wrong to me.

Speaking of Mythology contradictions, has anyone read one myth in one book and then in another book that seems like it'd be more reputable, it says the exact opposite happened, or didn't, or the whole thing was just wrong? I'm finding that happening more lately the longer I look through books. The Internet says the general same story, but books are really contradicting and it's hard to figure out what you believe in from them, or what was right.

Alexander J Luthor
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-18-2013, 03:28 AM

Two words: Rainbow Factory.

Are you talking about mythological stories, or actual myth recordings in book form? I did find a book that's now in my collection about all the different vampire lore from around the world, many I hadn't heard of.

BrotherOfDarkness
*^_^*

Penpal

Old 12-18-2013, 07:39 AM

@admiral, I like researching mythologies in general, but do love looking into Greek mythology, the story of the gods, titans and giants, alcyoneus giant who is immortal in his own lands, pretty cool

@alexander, vampires are one of those myths that transcend almost all cultures, so is worry when so many have stories and legends so similar! Lol

Alexander J Luthor
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-19-2013, 08:30 AM

Vampires drive me nuts, so I try to stick to one archetype with few gives. There's a Slavic vampire, or something, that turns into a WATERMELON. How useful is that. "Bajajaja, They will never find me if I stay still long enough. Oh- what are to doing with that kni-NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

Jajaja, who even came up with that laugh? I see it all over youtube and it drives me nuts.

SuperZombiePotatoe
Spudd

Penpal

Old 12-19-2013, 08:56 AM

A vampire that turns into a watermelon
It doesn't get better than that -nod nod-

Alexander J Luthor
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-19-2013, 09:46 AM

And apparently the "gingers have no soul" has back story in Greek vampire mythology. Red is extremely rare over there, so red hair and blue/green eyes together were seen as vampires, especially since they're usually a lot paler than the average person, hence why my avatar has a glorious tan that I don't actually possess.

Admiral
Chancellor

Old 12-19-2013, 11:45 AM

Oh man, vampires have some weird backstories. I know one ...two gingers with red hair and blue eyes. Never met one with green though. I'm a dark blonde/brown with hazel myself. And I can go home tomorrow, woo! No more checking once a day from my phone! And I'll get paid. *x*

One of the girls here gave me a vampire romance novel. I wonder when they went from being scary monsters to passionate lovers? Kind of makes me feel bad for any watermelon vampires. Imagine if they couldn't control it and in the midst of passion they just poof! Into a watermelon, unable to turn back.

I prefer a healthy mix of passion and murderer myself, though. Keeps them scary and super appealing as a bodyguard or something.

...in this creepy novel thing the vampire is a butler/housekeeper. I'm concerned.

Admiral
Chancellor

Old 12-22-2013, 02:43 PM

So, I'm home! Sorry it took so long to update the question and creature of the week.

In regards to the question, I've named a cat Taliesin. He's the Norse god of bards, wisdom, and prophecy. In regards to Tally, he was quiet, shy, and stuck to me. I miss him a lot. I can't really think of anything else I've named after a god or creature, but we had a cat named Bop who we called Bind on Pickup. o3o;

SuperZombiePotatoe
Spudd

Penpal

Old 12-22-2013, 06:33 PM

I had a dog named Gandalf, but that's not very mythological XP
New doggie's name is Caesar

Admiral
Chancellor

Old 12-22-2013, 10:25 PM

I just got a new hamster today. He's sweet and changes coats depending on the season and has red eyes. He's sweet but looks just a midge evil. I named him Loki. x3;

Alexander J Luthor
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-26-2013, 04:33 AM

I've decided I can't have pets for a while. Too much moving and whatnot.

BrotherOfDarkness
*^_^*

Penpal

Old 12-26-2013, 04:48 AM

@SuperZombiePotatoe was reading your theory about gods and deities being aliens? There is soo many things that could make a push for that idea... But I like to think if there has been any outside influence on our cultures and history, it's likely to be time travel perhaps? It's better to think we achieved what we did with our own ingenuity and minds, but there are things that have a striking resemblance to perhaps advanced technology.

I have had pets called
Samuel the dog, tiger the cat, George the tortoise, smarty the rabbit, tubs the hamster, dotty the cat, Monty the dog, chunk the hamster, trixie the cat (that we thought was a girl, so did the vet, and turned out to be a boy with a retracted testicle!) and that's it can't have anymore because of wife's allergies... So no grand names, apart from George, which is a great name, name of my grandad, and one of the future kings of Great Britain and the commonwealth.

Admiral
Chancellor

Old 12-26-2013, 05:02 PM

@BrotherOfDarkness- Ah, time travel... I dunno, I like sci-fi and all that, but for me, time travel is just not a plausible thing. Neither are ghosts, but... yeah. What sort of advanced technology do you mean, Brother?

Ooh, are we naming ALL our pets? *v*
Starting from childhood, out cats: Bop, Porkchop, Taliesin, DC, Friday, Tigger, Forest, Miranda, Cleopatra, Lolita, Baupee, Shakespeare, Buddha, Michelangelo, Tootsie, Scoobie, Sterling.. I feel like we had more, and I think we did.

Dogs: Kip, Karma, Casey, Buster, Spot, Monet

Birds: Hedwing, Ocean Breeze, Tropical Spray

Miscellaneous: Apsr, Loki, Fire Baby, Tristan, Koenma, Jasmine

...I think that's all of them? Or the ones that we named anyway. oxo;

Did everyone get what they wanted for the holidays?