Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 06-21-2014, 11:44 PM

Banner crafted by the lovely Shadami and colored by the fabulous WherededIgo

Welcome to the second part of this year's User Run Event whodunit!
Wyrm's got some crazy scheduling going on for a couple of days, so you all have some extra time for theorycrafting! New theory due date is by midnight on Monday July 7th!

This is the part where you put on your thinking caps and solve the mystery, whether or not you participated during the event. Everyone who submits a guess will get a prize of some sort, so don't be shy!

The original event thread can be found here, but all of the information will be placed in this thread as well! I haven't put spoilers on anything in this thread, out of consideration for those whose machines don't like spoilers, but the handy links below will help you navigate around the thread!

[/URL]
Once you have a solution, send a PM to Wyrmskyld with this form:
[B]I know whodunit!:[/B]
[B]Here's what happened:[/B]

DO NOT POST YOUR THEORIES IN THIS THREAD.

BONUS CLUE!!

While packing up to move the caravan, someone found the mirror! It was underneath the treasure tent, and was placed so it wouldn't risk being accidentally damaged but couldn't fail to be found when the tent was taken down! The thief hid it instead of stealing it!

Last edited by Wyrmskyld; 07-06-2014 at 03:46 AM..

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 06-21-2014, 11:45 PM

Raffle
If you're wondering why you weren't pinged, I'm only pinging people who requested to be pinged on the last day of the event unless you won something.

Rolls can be found here, if you're curious!

was won by ~LONGCAT~:
was won by KatMagenta:
was won by Xogizmoox:
was won by Mythos:
was won by Antagonist:

~LONGCAT~: 1 to 5
Aganab: 6 to 21
Antagonist: 22 to 38
beautiful_psycho: 39 to 49
BellyButton: 50 to 54
blueblackrose: 55 to 60
Cardinal Biggles: 61 to 77
Chexala: 78 to 82
Cora: 83 to 87
Divacita: 88 to 92
Dystopia: 93 to 109
Eastriel: 110
Elirona: 111 to 118
Emma Corrin: 119 to 133
fireprincess: 134
GummyBearKisses: 135 to 138
hummy: 139 to 144
Iroase Delschatten: 145
KatMagenta: 146 to 151
LaVida: 152 to 156
Lexadis: 157 to 161
musasgal: 162 to 186
Mythos: 187 to 216
Nema: 217 to 226
Nephila: 227 to 233
PapillonCameo: 234 to 243
pollik17: 244 to 249
Rochiel Silverfire: 250 to 265
sadrain: 266 to 290
Seridano: 291 to 295
Shadami: 296 to 316
shinigamikarasu: 317 to 332
silvergamer: 333 to 352
star2000shadow: 353 to 373
steelmagghia: 374 to 393
Storyteller: 394 to 399
SuperZombiePotatoe: 400 to 409
Velvet: 410 to 425
Vox: 426 to 435
Xogizmoox: 436 to 466

Winners, your trades are going out now.

Last edited by Wyrmskyld; 06-22-2014 at 12:53 AM..

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 06-21-2014, 11:46 PM

The Mystery
In the strange exotic lands beyond Merkheti, there is a king with three sons. He wishes to leave his country in the best possible hands after his death, and his two eldest sons both seemed equally qualified to rule. His youngest son, unfortunately, is a bit of an impulsive dreamer, but ancient tradition decrees that all three sons be given an equal chance. So, following that tradition, all three sons have been sent out, each with the quest to find a magical item that would help him rule the country wisely and well.

The oldest son was a great warrior, and after many trials and adventures he discovered a horn that would summon a thousand soldiers when blown. The middle son, a learned scholar, found a scroll that would magically answer a question with words of wisdom from any book or writing in the world. On their way home, both brothers ran into the Desert Winds Caravan and found the youngest brother was preparing to marry the caravan master's oldest daughter to get the magic mirror that is her dowry.

The mirror's magic power is showing a probable future whenever one looks into it, which would obviously be a great way to prevent future misfortunes. Unfortunately, it seems nobody saw the future where the mirror would vanish during the wedding rehearsal! The caravan master has asked all interested Menewshans to help find this valuable heirloom in the name of his daughter's happiness!

There were 7 people who were unaccounted for at some point during the rehearsal, and any of them would have been able to get to the mirror during the time they were gone. Your mission is to find out who took that mirror, and make them give it back!

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 06-21-2014, 11:47 PM

Evidence
Day One: Ladies' Lounge

Clue! A blue feather that you're pretty sure didn't come from the pillows people were ripping up.

Clue! An odd mirror! Figuring you'd solved the mystery, you took it to the caravan master, only to learn it isn't his mirror, and he's pretty sure it's not even magical. It does have a cool hinge on the handle, though, and he says it's probably made for looking around corners.

Day Two: Library

Clue! A letter that seems to be in code! And someone else apparently tried to read it and left a note.
(And the transcriber made an error: fvsjoh is supposed to be evsjoh!)

Clue! As you looked over the room you saw something you missed at ground level-- fingerprints on the wall by the door like someone leaned against it to peek out of the room.

Day Three: Tamina's Wagon

Clue! It looks like the second page of a blackmail note!

Clue! A set of footprints in the sand... leading away from the tent where the mirror was kept! Unfortunately they disappear when they reach the vegetation near the pools of the oasis.

Day Four: Armory

Clue! You didn't notice 'til after you knocked the bench over, but this one had a book on it! Someone's been reading the memoirs of Julius Caesar

Clue! It's a map of the oasis-- and it must be magic because it shows the caravan, too!

Day Five: Camel Stable

Clue! Mixed in with the straw by the door are a bunch of pink flower petals!

Clue! Heey... these feathers on the white camel's halter look pretty familiar...

Day Six: Kitchen

Clue! Newspaper clippings!

Clue! A blue thread is caught on one of the cabinets beside the trashcan!

Day Seven: Oasis Pools

Clue! As you come out of the water, you feel something on your head. You reach for it and find... a handful of straw.

Clue! Near the edge of the garden you spot something sparkling in the middle of a pile of flattened grass! Did someone drop this while hiding here?

BONUS CLUE!!

While packing up to move the caravan, someone found the mirror! It was underneath the treasure tent, and was placed so it wouldn't risk being accidentally damaged but couldn't fail to be found when the tent was taken down! The thief hid it instead of stealing it!

Last edited by Wyrmskyld; 06-22-2014 at 01:02 PM..

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 06-21-2014, 11:48 PM

Marika
The oldest daughter of a wealthy caravan master. Vain and snobbish

Marika: What are you doing there? Why haven't you found Daddy's mirror yet?

Wyrmskyld: Um... We just got here. We haven't even had time to start searching.

Marika: Ugh, then why are you bothering me?

Wyrmskyld: *patiently* We need to question everybody who was away from the banquet last night.

Marika: You mean I'm a suspect? Don't you realize if you don't find the mirror I won't get to marry a prince?

Wyrmskyld: We're just covering all the possibilities, ma'am. Could you tell us more about the mirror?

Marika: Well, Daddy has this mirror that shows the future. Or what might be the future. And this really cute prince showed up looking for something magical, but we couldn't just give up our family treasure, so Mama talked to Daddy and he made a deal with the prince-- The mirror would be my dowry! You have to find that mirror so I can be a princess!

Wyrmskyld: Right. I'll... get right on that. When was the last time you saw the mirror?

Marika: I guess during the banquet? I got bored with my dress so I went to change clothes, and I know I saw it on the way because I forgot for a minute it wasn't a normal mirror and tried to see how I looked. *looks nervous for a moment* I didn't see any futures, though.

Wyrmskyld: Who do you think might have taken it?

Marika: I saw Prince Talib looking at it the other day. I bet he stole it so Khalid wouldn't win. He's probably jealous, I mean, Salil is the strong one, and Khalid is the handsome one, so Talib's just stuck being the nerd.

Wyrmskyld: Ohkaay... I'll keep that in mind. Thank you for your time.

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 06-21-2014, 11:48 PM

Prince Talib
The scholarly middle brother of the trio.

Talib's Interview

Wyrmskyld: Excuse me, Prince Talib?

Talib: *looks up from his book* Hm? Yes, can I help you?

Wyrmskyld: We're looking into the disappearance of the caravan master's magic mirror. Would you mind answering a few questions, your highness?

Talib: I suppose I have time to talk. *sets his book aside*

Wyrmskyld: Let's get the easy question out of the way-- did you steal the mirror?

Talib: I'd say 'no' even if I had taken it, of course.

Wyrmskyld: Hey, can't a girl dream of an easy confession? Besides, you do kind of have a motive-- keeping Khalid from winning the throne.

Talib: *looks offended and holds out a book* Why would I need a pathetic little mirror? I have a book filled with all of the written knowledge of the world! The mirror doesn't even show a definite future, just a possible one. Anyone who holds this much wisdom doesn't need to see what might happen!

Wyrmskyld: Whoa, sorry. I didn't mean to offend you, but I do have to ask these questions. Where did you go when you left the banquet hall last night?

Talib: The caravan has a magical library just through those doors. The banquet was boring, so I went to go read my book in more pleasant surroundings. I wasn't the only one who slipped out, of course.

Wyrmskyld: It sounds like you saw something suspicious.

Talib: I saw lots of things. Marika looking in the mirror, my brother sneaking around, Nadra going out to play with her pets...

Wyrmskyld: I don't suppose you saw who took the mirror, do you?

Talib: Unfortunately, no.

Wyrmskyld: Yeah, that would've been too easy. Who do you think did it?

Talib: My guess would be that maid. I saw her pocket one of the wedding gifts.

Wyrmskyld: You did? Well that's definitely suspicious. Thank you for your time, your highness.

Talib: Of course. *goes back to his book*

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 06-21-2014, 11:49 PM

Amani
Tamina's long-suffering maid.

Amani: *suspiciously* I'm told you want to ask me some questions.

Wyrmskyld: Yes, we're asking questions of everyone who left the banquet at any time last night. Can you tell us the last time you saw the mirror?

Amani: I'm sure I saw it at lunchtime-- the Caravan Master was offering to let everyone look into it. And I think it was there right before the banquet. *thinks a moment* I don't remember if I saw it when I went to the wagon, though.

Wyrmskyld: 'The wagon'?

Amani: Tamina's wagon. She hates tents, so she has one of those gypsy wagons to sleep in. I made her a cup of tea before the banquet, and I couldn't remember if I'd taken the kettle off or not. *looks prim* I certainly couldn't let the whole place burn down, could I?

Wyrmskyld: And that's all you did? Went to the wagon and checked the kettle?

Amani: ... Fine. I also took this. *reaches into her pocket and holds out a small box* There are so many stupid wedding presents around, even that greedy cow Marika won't notice one missing.

Wyrmskyld: You... don't like your mistress's daughter?

Amani: I don't like any of them. Tamina married for money, Marika's lucky a prince came along because she wouldn't settle for anything less, and Nadra's always bringing home filthy animals. I only stay because we hardly ever see civilization. The minute we see a city, I'm getting my pay and getting out.

Wyrmskyld: That mirror would be pretty valuable if someone sold it...

Amani: Do I look stupid enough to take something that expensive? *gets a conspiratorial look and leans closer* If you ask me, Salil's the one you want to be talking to. It was obvious he saw something veeery interesting when he looked into the mirror, but he wouldn't tell anyone what he saw.

Wyrmskyld: That might be useful, yes. Thank you very much, Amani.

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 06-21-2014, 11:51 PM

Prince Salil
Khalid's oldest brother. Somewhat boastful and warlike, but not a bad sort.

Wyrmskyld: Prince Salil?

Salil: *looks the investigators up and down* You're the ones looking for the mirror.

Wyrmskyld: Yes. We're asking questions of everyone who was away from the banquet last night, in case they saw something useful. May I ask where you were?

Salil: I was waiting in the armory.

Wyrmskyld: 'Waiting?'

Salil: *speaks very quickly and won't meet anyone's eyes* Waiting for the banquet to be over. I hate formal events like that, and they have a tent with a magical portal to an armory here. It's very nice-- I wish I could have it to take on campaign.

Wyrmskyld: On campaign? Did you see war as a possible future when you looked into the mirror?

Salil: *blushes* No... it wasn't... no. I'm just a warrior, and I think about things like that.

Wyrmskyld: Did you see anyone else while you were out?

Salil: Marika went to her room and back. And her sister snuck out not long after that and disappeared into the shadows. And Khalid wandered around stargazing the way he always does.

Wyrmskyld: But you didn't see any of them actually take the mirror?
Salil: No. But I'd lay odds on the sister... what's her name... Nadra? She seemed really upset when the wedding was announced. She's probably jealous-- nobody would look at her with Marika around.

Wyrmskyld: I see. Thank you very much, your highness... and good luck with the contest.

Salil: I don't need luck. *pats the horn he wears attached to his belt* I have an army.

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 06-21-2014, 11:52 PM

Nadra
Marika's younger sister. Rather shy and bookish, fond of animals.

Wyrmskyld: Hello? Nadra?

Nadra: *stepping out from behind a camel* Yes?

Wyrmskyld: We're looking for your father's mirror, and we've been asking questions of everyone who was away from the banquet last night. You were out here in the stable?

Nadra: Yes... I just... couldn't stand listening to Marika boast anymore, so I came out here. I'm more comfortable around animals, anyway.

Wyrmskyld: We heard you weren't very happy about your sister's engagement...

Nadra: It... came as kind of a surprise. I guess I should have expected it, though. Marika always gets what she wants, even if she has to take it from someone else.

Wyrmskyld: Sounds like you two don't get along very well?

Nadra: She's my sister, and I love her, but she can be very hard to live with.

Wyrmskyld: Did you see anyone else while you were out here?

Nadra: *bites her lip nervously* Amani going into Mother's wagon... and Prince Khalid on his way to the oasis for a swim. And Mother.

Wyrmskyld: Who would you say might have taken the mirror?

Nadra: I hate to say it, but... Mother's been acting strange lately. She actually seemed pleased when Prince Khalid said the marriage was off until the mirror was found, even though she was the one who made all the wedding arrangements. She was so excited about Marika marrying a prince-- she even went through the library trying to figure out what kind of title a queen's mother would have.

Wyrmskyld: So she completely changed her mind overnight? That is pretty strange, Nadra. We'll keep it in mind.

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 06-21-2014, 11:52 PM

Tamina's Interview
Marika's ambitious mother.

Wyrmskyld: Madame Tamina?

Tamina: So. You're the ones questioning everyone as if we're common criminals.

Wyrmskyld: We're just trying to find the mirror, ma'am...

Tamina: Well, I didn't take it. Why would I? It was my husband's mirror to begin with, and then it became my baby Marika's dowry, and now it's gone!

Wyrmskyld: We understand your frustration, but your answers might give us a clue... you went to the kitchen during the banquet?

Tamina: Yes. I was telling the cook that he was changing out courses much too quickly. It's so hard to get good help...

Wyrmskyld: If you say so, ma'am. Did you see anyone acting suspicious last night?

Tamina: Suspicious? Ha! I should say so! That storyteller woman showed up wearing the same color as my Marika, and the cook put walnuts in the baklava. Walnuts! I thought I'd die of shame right there on the spot! And don't even get me started on t--

Wyrmskyld: *cutting Tamina off* Anyone acting suspicious outside of the banquet.

Tamina: *glares at Wyrmskyld for interrupting* That middle prince was going around spying on people. I even saw him pick up a piece of paper Marika dropped and stick it in his pocket. And the youngest prince skulks around all the time. I'm always seeing him in places he doesn't belong.

Wyrmskyld: If you were looking for the culprit, who would you suspect?

Tamina: 'Prince' Khalid. He's the one who came here wanting the mirror in the first place! Although he's only barely a prince at all-- it's not as if a third son is going to inherit the kingdom. If I'd known he was the youngest I wouldn't have let him anywhere near Marika. She deserves to be a queen! He's definitely the one who did it, and now he's going to run off and leave my poor baby at the altar and without a dowry! *starts to sob*

Wyrmskyld: Uhh... there, there. *pats Tamina's shoulder awkwardly* We'll... we'll get right back to looking for that mirror now... *backs away slowly*

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 06-21-2014, 11:53 PM

Prince Khalid
Typical fairy tale third son-- young impulsive dreamer who is scorned by his brothers.

Khalid: Ah, the investigators. I've been expecting you. Please, ask your questions.

Wyrmskyld: Uh... thank you, your highness. I feel like maybe we should have questioned you first-- you probably know more about the mirror than the rest of the people we've talked to.

Khalid: I really know very little. I was lost in the desert, and I met a kind girl who led me to the oasis here. We talked on the way, and she told me about her father's magic mirror. It sounded like exactly the kind of wonder Father sent us out searching for.

Wyrmskyld: The obvious question is... did you steal it?

Khalid: I am no thief! I would never take something of such value! Even if... well, nevermind.

Wyrmskyld: Uh... I'm afraid we can't do that, your highness. Nevermind what?

Khalid: *sigh* I have no desire to wed Marika, but her mother insisted the mirror should be her dowry.

Wyrmskyld: Having met Marika, I think we can understand that. Where did you go when you left the banquet last night?

Khalid: To the oasis pools. It was so hot in that tent that I needed a swim.

Wyrmskyld: Did you see anyone else while you were out?

Khalid: Both of my brothers...

Wyrmskyld: Anyone else?

Khalid: *looking down* I also ran into Nadra, for a moment. But I'm sure she didn't take the mirror!

Wyrmskyld: Who do you think might have taken it?

Khalid: I... don't know. I saw Talib peering into the tent with the mirror, but I can't imagine him taking it.

Wyrmskyld: I see. Thank you again, your highness.

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 06-21-2014, 11:54 PM

Reserved

And the thread is open for posting!

steelmagghia
Not ready for school to start!

Old 06-22-2014, 12:26 AM

Ah, so this must be what my mysterious ping that lead to nowhere was for.

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 06-22-2014, 12:47 AM

It should have lead to a spoiler. I figured a spoiler would be prettier than a crazylong list of names with numbers beside them.

steelmagghia

Old 06-22-2014, 12:51 AM

It led to a note that the link didn't lead to anything and something about an administrative code.

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 06-22-2014, 12:53 AM

Oh, weeeird... maybe because it's spoilered? *goes to unspoiler it*

steelmagghia

Old 06-22-2014, 01:00 AM

Maybe? I dunno. Did you move the thread maybe?

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 06-22-2014, 01:01 AM

Nope. Did it all on my computer and then copy/pasted it here.

steelmagghia

Old 06-22-2014, 01:06 AM

Huh. Well then that's really weird.

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 06-22-2014, 01:15 AM

Congratulations to the winners!

Wow, I didn't even know there was a phoenix mask in the raffle. XD Also, this proves lots of raffle tickets don't mean you gonna get anything.

Annnd I'll try to remember to send PM about that culprit thing. Really loved this round of Whodunit.

Lexadis
(ο・㉨・&...
Penpal

Old 06-22-2014, 01:15 AM

I got a broken ping too!

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 06-22-2014, 01:56 AM

Pings don't like me.

steelmagghia

Old 06-22-2014, 02:02 AM

It's okay Wyrm. We'll help everyone find their way here.

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 06-22-2014, 02:13 AM

The picture for the last piece of evidence isn't showing?

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 06-22-2014, 02:21 AM

That's weird, Chex. It's showing for me. Try this: