Eldweena
Gaming FFXIII-2

Old 10-01-2017, 12:04 AM

What's your editing process like?

The first thing I like to do is just reread what I've written. I do a lot of rewriting the first couple of times I reread my work.

I also will do a spell check in Word (but not grammar check).

And I like to have my spouse-slash-writing partner read over my work to see if she thinks anything is confusing or just sounds awkward. It's a comfort to have someone trustworthy and interested in my writing to double-check me.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 10-01-2017, 12:36 AM

A hot mess.

lol....no. I usually try to just reread what I wrote especially if it's been a while, but I can't help but fix typos and little things while I'm reading so I won't say I don't touch it. And the longer it is and further in, the more actual editing I do as I read because I can't help it. But basically I read it through a lot of time and check for various things, read aloud later in, and eventually print and do some highlighting if I'm getting real into it, then repeat.

I won't post anything for sharing without at least a couple edits over by myself so no fics go straight from writing to post. I don't get that since at least typos should be fixed whether you care about editing it or not. I miss having writing critiques in school so I really need to get more sharing and critiquing going on in my work. My roommate and best friend is willing to beta for me though.

Eldweena
Gaming FFXIII-2

Old 10-01-2017, 11:44 AM

Yes, I never upload my fanfiction to FFNET or AO3 without editing. When I see people posting stories without capitalizing the title or using punctuation in the synopses, I don't even click to read. I hate sloppiness.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 10-01-2017, 07:07 PM

Yeah and the summary is what's going to make people click on the story so that must be well done. If I notice a mistake, I will go back and fix it. Because sure, no matter how much I've edited something, things still slip through, but you shouldn't be so lazy to not go back and fix things later. Do other people never reread their works, ever?