Audley
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-26-2007, 11:21 PM

So ... new contest, maybe? Though the number of participants was small, I enjoyed the last contest - I thought the productivity of the players was outstanding :)

Anyway, there's a little bit of time until the current CIs are no longer available, so at some stage in the next few days I'd like to establish another little contest. Same prizes as the first round.

If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them. I have one good idea, I think, but it would require at least four dedicated players, so that might be one for the future (essentially it would be two-person teams co-writing a story with ... some other requirements <- I'll think about them). It might be an idea to focus on poetry ... maybe there'll be a million points for whoever writes a sestina? Or something like that ;)

(I'll come back and summarise the below content of the last contest neatly in the next few days.)

So ... I'm holding a contest.

First, what you get:

The prize is one of next month's contribution items (maybe both - assuming there are two - if the response is positive).

And second, what you do:

This is a point-earning exercise. Every time you post (that's a single post, regardless of length) in this forum you earn points. This is how I've broken it down -

Prose: 3 points
Poetry: 2 points
Review: 6 points
Short Review: 1 point
Drabbles: 1 point

Reviews (refer to sychobunny's post) get the most points because they're the kind of remark that this board has the least of. There are a lot of prose/poetry/short reviews - not so many longer ones, and that's why a long review earns the most points.

Edit: Regarding "long reviews" -
"Long" reviews, I suppose, don't really need to be lengthy; I initially called them that under the misguided assumption that a considered reviews would take a couple of sentences. It's not really the case, though, is it? As long as what you say in your review makes some sort of constructive critique or comment on a piece, I would consider that a review.

A "short review" is something along the lines of saying "that's cute" or "I love that character".

Whenever you've made a post of any of the above, just comment here with the link so it can be verified and it will be added the table (which has yet to be constructed).

---
I'm certain this will be a fairly low-key contest with not too many participants (if any), so don't be afraid to join in - I foresee many two participants, at most ;)

Points Table
1. sychobunny - 82 points.
2. Seito - 64 points.
3. Asham - 10 points.

sychobunny
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-27-2007, 02:52 AM

XD Sounds exciting! Good job planning this out.

Audley
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-27-2007, 03:40 AM

Thank you :) The planning part is done, though - I randomly decided to do it and, surprisingly, did ;)

Whether anyone participates or not is another story, but I suppose this contest will end the day the new items come out, so ... there might be more movement by that time.

Asham
*^_^*

Old 03-27-2007, 12:51 PM

xD Ooh, ooh, I'm joining. <3333

Poetry
Review

Will be adding more as I go on.

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 03-27-2007, 08:47 PM

*raises hands*

I am... slightly confused.

When posting a prose, does it have to be a single new thread for each and every story? I mean I write drabbles, post them all in one thread (as you saw) Does this mean I get points for every drabble? Or only the first 3 points for making a thread?

Asham
*^_^*

Old 03-28-2007, 03:07 AM

Mmm, I would guess you'd get points for each and every one story you write, and not the number of threads! xD After all, it wouldn't be fair for someone to clog up the whole front page of the Literature Spot Thread with their stories, and pushing everyone else's off the page, y'know? ;_;

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 03-28-2007, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asham
Mmm, I would guess you'd get points for each and every one story you write, and not the number of threads! xD After all, it wouldn't be fair for someone to clog up the whole front page of the Literature Spot Thread with their stories, and pushing everyone else's off the page, y'know? ;_;
Okies. Somehow that doesn't seem fair to everyone if I jump in. 83 + 11 = 94 drabbles I've written so far. x by 3 = 282 points? @.@ *sweatdrop* Perhaps I shouldn't join. I don't think it'll be very fair to everyone. Or unless we go by the number of drabbles I write starting from today (3/27) but then again I have so many drabbles I can write. T-T I think I'm confusing myself. I really would like the item, means less money to spend. but gah... @.@ I dunno. I guess Jupiter will decide what to do.

Asham
*^_^*

Old 03-28-2007, 03:31 AM

Uwaaah, I think you should join. ;_; You'd be a great competitor/rival! As long as I'd be allowed to make a drabble thread too, to compete against you. XD

... Mmm, I dunno. I think: the more challenging = the better = more motivation to win = the better it will feel to win first prize. 8D Muwahaha! But, yeah, it's ultimately Jupiter's decision. xD I really want you to be in it, though. ;_; *clings to your whalecow*

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 03-28-2007, 03:40 AM

I want to join though. I think it would be fun. xD and like I said, I want those items. Go right ahead and make a drabble thread. xD It's quite fun. xD I'm stuck on how to do the last couple ones on my list. *does 100 theme drabbles* but I'll figure it out soon enough.

Bolt say hi to Asham.

Bolt: *waves flippers* ^-^ Whemoo

I guess I'll wait until Jupiter comes on and answers.

Audley
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-28-2007, 12:43 PM

I think due to the nature of drabbles - they are short - it would probably only be fair to award one point for them. My definition of a drabble means a piece of writing that is around 100-200 words in length.

Points are not retroactive, so anything you posted before you turned up in this thread doesn't count.

It's bedtime for me, so I'll have up to update "the table" later - but congratulations to Asham, first participant and current leader ;)

sychobunny
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-28-2007, 04:21 PM

Oh, this leads up to another question. Lets say someone is reviewing a drabble. Quite often its not as lengthy because its a drabble, so I'm guessing a review of a drabble is 1 pt automatically. If you review a series of drabbles, is it 1 pt total, or 1 pt per review of a single drabble so long as there is a comment, or is it 6 pts if its a bunch of drabbles reviewed in one post?
Also, if a work was previously commented on, and then edited because of the reviews, does it count to go back and re-review it?

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 03-28-2007, 06:11 PM

And if the drabble is more then 200 words does it then count as a prose? @.@

And this is a stupid question. But if I'm updating in the same thread, how do I like, post it here? o.O Cause if I update in the same thread, then it's all in there, so I just provide the link to the thread and tells you which numbers I've written?

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 03-29-2007, 08:32 PM

Also when does the contest start? Right now? When the items are released? When does the contest end?

Audley
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-30-2007, 10:21 AM

My apologies for the slow response - it's been a busy week.

sychobunny - no, all reviews are six points, regardless of the length of the work.

It will be hard to say anything substantial about a drabble, and since remarks like "I love it" or "That was cool" don't count as reviews, it'll be a challenge finding constructive things to say about drabbles.

Mm. As for re-reviewing, I'll have to say "no" on that unless the change is really significant - like a complete change in plot or chacterisation etc.

Seito - yes, although I think in the rules I'll stipulate that short prose (less than 1000 words, maybe? I might lower that number, though) works have to be self-contained. Which is to say, all that is written is the entire story, so it can't just be part of a scene or random bits of dialogue (whereas longer works can just be parts of a scene or a length of dialogue etc).

As for how to post - each post in your thread has a separate number, so you can direct link to each relevant one. If that's a bit much, just tell me the titles and I'll check :)

And yes, the contest has started - it ends the day the new item/s come out (short, I know, but if people enjoy it, I'll probably hold another one).

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 03-30-2007, 10:28 AM

Meh, I dunno. You decide how it goes, I guess.

http://www.menewsha.com/viewtopic.php?p=185079#185079
Drabbles 13 - 15 written.

Drabble 13 - 298words
Drabble 14 - 311 words
Drabble 15 - 269 words

http://www.menewsha.com/viewtopic.php?p=185082#185082
Drabbles 84-86 written

Drabble 84 - 287 words
Drabble 85 - 207 words
Drabble 86 - 326 words

6 points then right?

Asham
*^_^*

Old 03-30-2007, 11:21 AM

homg. Seito's on the roll! XD!

x'D I have to start writing... but I keep getting distracted. T_T;

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 03-30-2007, 11:22 AM

Another another update
http://<br /> http://www.menewsha.c...=185304#185304

Drabbles 1-4 written

By the way a new list of 100 themes has been chosen. Incase if you're wondering why I started back at one.

Audley
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-30-2007, 01:09 PM

I must be living on the Moon - I had completely under-estimated just how many 200+ words are ... er, and, you know, that makes sense somewhere, I'm sure.

Anyway, I looked at your drabbles/other and have calculated 22 points for you, Seito - 18 for the first six contributions, and 4 for the drabbles.

It seems like the gap between "drabble" and "prose" is oddly close, I know, but my "self-contained" idea is completely flawed in that a) "less than 1000 words" is just too many words, and b) this is supposed to be fun and not about word-counting or forcing out a story/ending.

Asham
*^_^*

Old 03-30-2007, 01:42 PM

x'''D Hahaha, when you first said 1000 words, I was like, "OMFG, 1000 words for the minimum for prose!? That's like, 3-5 pages of writing for 3 points!"

... Silly Jupiter! <3

Meh. Drabble thread

There are currently two up right now. :3 I'm almost done with the 3rd one! ^^

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 03-30-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter
I must be living on the Moon - I had completely under-estimated just how many 200+ words are ... er, and, you know, that makes sense somewhere, I'm sure.

Anyway, I looked at your drabbles/other and have calculated 22 points for you, Seito - 18 for the first six contributions, and 4 for the drabbles.

It seems like the gap between "drabble" and "prose" is oddly close, I know, but my "self-contained" idea is completely flawed in that a) "less than 1000 words" is just too many words, and b) this is supposed to be fun and not about word-counting or forcing out a story/ending.
^^;; Yeah it's hard to draw the line between drabble and prose. I only call them drabbles because some of them will be under 200 words. xP 100 words can be like a good paragraph (cause college essays wouldn't let me write more then 100 words. *mutters*)

xD but okies. xD I'll be back later today with more stories. ^-^

Hai, Asham. ^-~ You wanted a rival, so you got one! ^-^

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 03-31-2007, 03:19 AM

http://www.menewsha.com/viewtopic.php?p=188893#188893

another update.

Drabble 5 and 6 written.

Probably will write more after kendo tonight. *sleeps*

sychobunny
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-31-2007, 10:51 PM

Review
Review
Review
Review
Review

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 04-01-2007, 12:54 AM

Am I still be suppose to be counting the words?

http://www.menewsha.com/viewtopic.php?p=195030#195030
Drabble 7-9 written

Drabble 7 - 263 words
Drabble 8 - 305 words
Drabble 9 - 148 words

http://www.menewsha.com/viewtopic.php?p=195023#195023

Drabble 87 written

Drabble 87 - 299 words

sychobunny
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 04-01-2007, 02:14 AM

review

Audley
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-01-2007, 09:33 AM

Asham - I added two points for the two drabbles you mentioned (sorry, I haven't had time this weekend to check out your progress, but hopefully I will on Monday evening/Tuesday some time).

Seito - you don't have to count. You've been categorising them yourself, anyway, and that's good enough for me. If you write something that's more than 200 words in length and think it qualifies as prose, then that's cool - I'll still check out the links, but I trust everyone.