Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 05-19-2007, 05:11 AM

Spotlight Thread

To Be Inspired -- lj community. The original For Your Inspiration home

To Be Inspired (because For your inspiration was too long xD)

It's an lj community that psyrien and I created. The same purpose is like this thread. xD Though we don't have any member. xD
I have old list and tips plus quotes that I updated usually at least once a month. >> But yeah~
Enjoy the dying place~ xD

Trinitydoll
(ο・㉨・&...
Banned
Send a message via MSN to Trinitydoll

Old 05-21-2007, 01:47 PM

Hello Seito chan!!!! How are you ? I love this
I will be sending many of my thingies ^^
I like short writing, I do have some larger things but It would be idk...too dense for you to read?
Well I will go look for material you feel free to tell me what do you think of it ok? thanks!!
Kale is wonderful she always gives me a hand ...I wonder if someday Iw ill have the time to publish my stories but at least here someone can read them =) Im happy

Trinitydoll
(ο・㉨・&...
Banned

Old 05-21-2007, 01:55 PM

Even though I made an effort and wrote love for Yume's contest Im a horror lover hehe so dont feel surprised ^^
this one was corrected by a friend of course since i wrote it in spanish (i try english but ...and so he helps me)

The Tattoo nightmares

write this quickly, while losing my memory. Call it a desperate attempt to get something into the public record -or at least some sort of hope that I'm living a nightmare and will soon, awaken. My name is Tom, I grew up in the Flatbush section of Brooklyn, and am forty years old.

When 'they' became obvious to me is still uncertain. For argument's sake, let's just say I was around 8 years old. In the two caste system of the sixty's, us normal people always noticed the tattoo on the right wrist of the other caste. We called those with the tattoos - 'Tats' - and we stayed away from them knowing that they were different. Jealousy always played a major role and I can remember some of my public (elementary) school experiences involving the Tats. Just give me two minutes alone with one! But I know, that was not possible, the two castes - n e v e r - mixed.

Oh, and their tattoo was uuugly. I mean it was as if they were wearing a watch band. Solid black, one inch thick around the entire right wrist. I didn't know, couldn't know, or even imagine, that my jealousy of the Tats was just beginning. You see, I was 13 now and a new 7th grader. Forget the baby stuff of elementary school, I was now noticing girls! The Junior High was a great place. Girls, sports, girls, and other opportunities were available for any handsome young man, like myself. The only problem for me (and my normal friends), was that work and grades came - absolutely first. The teachers made sure we understood this and the Superintendent of schools would fine our parents heavily if we even thought about failing. Then, of course, there were the Tats.

Trinitydoll
(ο・㉨・&...
Banned

Old 05-21-2007, 01:55 PM

What a life! They still had no exams. They would all flirt in the hallways and the boys and girls would be making-out like there was no tomorrow. In the few cases where we tested together, the Tats always seemed brighter. No homework, no studying, how could they achieve these results? Even rarer would be a fight between a normie and a Tat. All out of rage I'm sure. I just can't understand why they always seemed to be a step quicker, sharper, or smarter. What really pissed me (and my friends) off was the fact that after one of these fights, the normie was always suspended. You can imagine what his parents would do to him with the fines and embarrassment, and all. I mean, the next day the Tat in the fight would be back in school. His friends and the Tat girls would be laughing. And you call this justice! Is this fair? Do we have equal rights???

That's pretty much the way it ran through Junior High School. I probably, most definitely, had more questions than answers. Even during the summer recess, before stepping up to the Senior High School, was an event. In some cases we appreciated being normies. It was a pleasure to walk the streets of Flatbush. One second you could be passing Macy's, the next second your nostrils would be teased with the unparalleled aromas from the local Kosher Deli. This was, of course, between working two jobs, four days a week. Parents had it much harder, but we were on break. I guess we just did our part to keep society going. Jealousy is a word that just flames out of me. You see, the Tats didn't have to work. They were enjoying the summer as if it were retirement. Oh the arrogant gall. Just when I couldn't stand it anymore I somehow noticed that adults my parent's age hinted moments of respect toward the Tats. In other words, as we passed the Tats on the streets my parents would nod, smile, or tip their hats with courtesy. I mean, can you just vomit? Working my butt off -- for what?

My hands tremble as I recall the 'other' summer happening.

Trinitydoll
(ο・㉨・&...
Banned

Old 05-21-2007, 01:56 PM

My friends and I swore our selves to secrecy. In no way can this be revealed while I'm still alive, but I must, at least for the public record's sake, let you know the truth. My friends and I challenged the Tats to a game of football. Yes, no adults knew of this 'mixed' event, and even the Tats agreed to keep the secret. There we were, in the game of our lives. Us against them, no parents, teachers, or other adults to stop 'the' challenge. Mixed company was taboo but we wanted to kick some butt, if you hear me talking. Our best players were inspiring. I mean, we signed up the entire Ja football team. We knew we would win! Then the game started and when we disguised plays right, only to run left, they were waiting for us. When we adjusted our defense to be waiting for them, they readjusted their offense. Every step of the way we were outplayed. They were the same size as us too, so we can't use that excuse. But late in the fourth quarter, when we were exhausted the Tats seemed to appreciate their youth more. They were happy and getting happier. How embarrassed we were but knew it was our secret. Shut out, outplayed, and out foxed, we left with our heads bowed down in defeat only having, more questions.

After all that, us normies headed to Senior High School with a new air of respect. We still hated the Tats but were at least athletically impressed. Maybe I could answer some questions if I could meet (secretly) with one of the Tat boys I played football against during the summer. Half in shame, and half with curiosity, I walked the hallways of our new school. All seemed about right. My friends and I were there, the two caste system had, an as usual, fifty - fifty ratio, but something just seemed unfamiliar to me. I couldn't find one of the Tats we had played football against last summer. I mean, not one!

One Tat (I secretly talked with) called me a nut for even trying to find the Tats from the past. I guess it's that mixed company taboo thing. Anyway, more questions. How can an entire football team just up, and disappear? Not that high school years were any different than the junior high years. All the pressure was on the normies. Jealously (did I use that word already) still was more present than ever, and life and youth, still belonged to the Tats. Just watching the boy and girl Tats enjoying each others company seemed exaggerated. Summers, work, and future semesters were all identical. No sense to rehash each year. Just look what I said about junior high. It's virtually, all the same.

Then came graduation. My friends, parents, and I were all so proud. I just (in the back of my mind) wondered what happened to the Tats we played football against? Why aren't they here graduating in front of their parents? I still don't like them but I feel as if I'm freaking out or something. Following graduation there was no summer off.

Immediate employment, two jobs a day, six days a week was a necessity for our society to survive. You know by now that the normies shouldered all of the burden, even for the Tats. I had until age 20, to get married and start reproducing. If I could not select a mate in time, one would be assigned. Marriage and starting a family all happened on the weekends. There was no vacation. Do it on your one and one-half days off, we were told. Forgot to mention that we only worked one job on Saturdays. In between having the two or three required children, the normie women all worked one job a day, six days a week. All of this was accepted and I'm not sure why I seemed to be the only one with questions. You can imagined we all worked like dogs. I'll spare you the details of how my wife, children, and I survived. So much pressure and so little time. I don't mean to leave anything out but let me continue on, at least for the public record's sake because I am already losing my memory.

Everything was much the same as I described up until I hit age 39. That morning I arose and as customary on each one of my birthdays, I took a brisk walk around the neighborhood. My bad knee was acting up as usual. Everything was as usual with nothing new. That is, nothing new until I started to open my front door following my walk. I noticed that as I turned the door knob that I appeared to have some dirt (or something) on my right wrist. It was just up the arm from the wrist joint and slightly above the protruding bone about 3 ½ inches from the pinky. I tried to wash it off but could not. It's probable thickness, only 1/32nd of an inch, drawn around my wrist like wrist like a bracelet. Surely worried, embarrassed, and a mixture of emotions attacked me. I was no Tat, but I wasn't exactly a normie anymore either. I kind of wore long sleeves and kept it a secret.

Trinitydoll
(ο・㉨・&...
Banned

Old 05-21-2007, 01:57 PM

Now you're almost caught up to date. Age 39 came and went, and 40 was upon me. Before leaving my house for my traditional walk, I slowly glanced down at my right wrist. Can you believe that up the arm about one inch from the other slim dark bracelet, was indeed, another matching bracelet? I mean, they seemed to be tattoos. They didn't wash off or anything. My problem is I have too many questions. Do others know about these things? In my prime, 40 and proud! Education, careers, wife, children, all behind me, but what's ahead of me?

Today I found out. It was a year ago I turned 40 and I was thrilled to take my brisk birthday walk. I nervously avoided looking down at my right wrist. Everything was in place. Down Flatbush Avenue, over to Bedford, and past the Flatbush Boy's Club. The pace was great and the air was full, cool, and clean. I even noticed a little spring in my step. You probably wouldn't believe me if I told you that some of the arthritis I had in my bad knee actually didn't bother me as much. On the return trip I passed the P.A.L. and made a longer trip than usual by walking all the way up to Ocean Avenue. All the people seemed as nice as ever, some even more so. All as usual, until I saw a man of about 35 smiling to me while scolding his nervous little son. I remember those words perfectly. The man told his son, "don't worry, he's just a TAT". That second, I looked down to my wrist and noted how the area between the two bracelets was filled in. Dark and black! Yes, I now had the ugly black tattooed right wrist. Horrors I thought, as I somehow suddenly realized, that I just turned 39, again

I hope you liked it ^^::

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 05-23-2007, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitydoll
Hello Seito chan!!!! How are you ? I love this
I will be sending many of my thingies ^^
I like short writing, I do have some larger things but It would be idk...too dense for you to read?
Well I will go look for material you feel free to tell me what do you think of it ok? thanks!!
Kale is wonderful she always gives me a hand ...I wonder if someday Iw ill have the time to publish my stories but at least here someone can read them =) Im happy
Welcome Trinity~ xD
Dense is okay sometimes~
Err not sure what you want me to do with your story though. ^^;;;;

~You will be able to one day~ xD I'm sure~

Trinitydoll
(ο・㉨・&...
Banned

Old 05-26-2007, 09:49 PM

Sorry Seito I have totally lost your thread , I was hoping you to coment on it? idk give me an idea if you liked it that's all =) ty

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 05-27-2007, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitydoll
Sorry Seito I have totally lost your thread , I was hoping you to coment on it? idk give me an idea if you liked it that's all =) ty
xD That hard to find? xD

Ah okies a comment~
We do that later~ ^^ *bounces*
xD Tis a lot to read~

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 06-13-2007, 04:55 AM

I'm not really sure how anyone can help me, but here's my situation. I think I've just gotten stuck with my characters in my novel. I'm in the part of my story where all the good guys get crapped on for chapters and chapters and chapters and the bad guys prevail (I call it the "Empire Strikes Back" section of my story) and I've been struggling to write that because I can't exactly kill off my Rosanna if I can't get in the dark zone. I just don't have the emotion to write it. I don't have the angst within me. And that event's going to set off the rest of the crapping. A young, idealistic boy's going to get killed. A whole family is going to be obliterated due to one of the guys being tricked into trusting someone he shouldn't. My happy-go-lucky guy is going to lose all his joy. People are going to either have to flee or hide or risk imprisonment or death.

So I think because I'm stuck on that part in my novel, I'm having a hard time envisioning anything I can do for drabbles. It's hard for me to go back in time and it's hard to look ahead past all these parts in the story. And yet, I'm feeling like I can't continue, not only because I'm not in the dark zone, but because I'm losing touch with my characters (I've not touched the story in 2 years) and I want my drabble list to help me reacquaint myself with them.

So it's like a no-win circle. Can't do the drabbles because I'm stuck on the story. Can't get unstuck on the story because I can't do the drabbles. This tale is something I've devoted a lot of time and emotion into and I don't want to scrap it. I'd like to see it reach completion, but that seems like, at this point, it's never going to happen!

I guess this is a classic block?

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 06-13-2007, 04:57 AM

So... Because Seito chan is a little slow

xD You need help connecting back to your characters?
Or you need help with the plot?

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 06-13-2007, 05:00 AM

I think connecting since I know which way the plot needs to go. I'm just unable to write it for some reason.

Any strategies for learning to love your characters again? For really getting to know who they are again? When you've been away from them for so long, how do you rekindle it all?

Find time to do art of them? Make lists of some sort? What?

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 06-13-2007, 05:04 AM

Hmmm There are various ways to do that. x3 Really. It kinda just plays with your own preferances.

I mean my way is to write drabbles. But since that isn't working for you. We'll have to try a different way.

Stuff like drawing is good for visual or creating on a the moment. Let's try a little role play then? x3 I think that might help.

So~
Meet Seika.
Seika this Aliena you'll be role playing with her characters.

Seika: We've met before and do I have to Seito?

Seito: Yes! ^^

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 06-13-2007, 08:27 AM

Since Aliena never came back. xD I'll give ya other various ways incase I'm not here to try role playing. xD

So... HOW TO CONNECT BACK WITH YOUR CHARACTERS PART 1
There are stuff, like lists. Yeah. You can fill in a DETAILED character profile. Insane details like favorite food and why, favorite color and why, dislikes this ___ because ____ and whatnots.

I preferably don't like this approach only cause it requires alot of thinking and a lot of depth of characters that I'm not ready to approach. that alot of it is kinda useless

BUT

it is good to do after you do have a good grip on your character. This is also good because it's like a little info sheet on your character. Incase you forget something. Perhaps you made them love apples and forgot you gave them that little detail. xD

This also takes it one step closer to making more real. Because obviously a real person is complex and has stuff like favorite food, color, day, etc and dislikes ___ because of this ____ so if you can feel that. Please note this is good way to START a character as well. x3

The Insane and extremely detailed list

Seito's less detailed list.

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 06-13-2007, 08:46 AM

HOW TO CONNECT BACK WITH YOUR CHARACTERS PART 2

Cause I haven't explained the details of role play.

When I say role play I don't exactly mean start an rpg and write an entire different story with the same characters.
This can be done with one person (you) or with two people.

Basically you want to act like your character.
Think of a situation and then think of how your character would react to it. Different characters react differently. (unless you made them the same).

If you do this by yourself, think of it like talking to yourself but the second voice is your character.
If you do it with a friend (less awkward for some people) then it's like your character is talking to your friend.

Example:

Seito: *dumps ice cold water on Seika*

Seika: DAMNIT SEITO! Why the hell did you that for?!

Seito: *smiles* No particular reason. *dumps ice cold water on Rayna*

Rayna: *dodges the water without batting an eyelash and continues to read her book*

Seito: .... Rayna is always reading and ignoring me!

Rayna: only because you want to cause trouble and fighting against you is pointless. Why waste my time and energy when Seika does a wonderful job arguing with you and being your playmate when I have paperwork to do and a book to finish reading. Now run along you two. Go play.

Seika: I hate it when you act like that.

Rayna: Hmmm. And you're suppose to be able to dodge silly attacks like that seeing as you were trained as a ninja and I wasn't.

-end example!-

See. Now what does this tell you? That Seika is a ninja, and is easily attacked. She also gets angry easily. It also tells you that Rayna is mature, doesn't act like a child and has much to work to do. Doesn't like to play with me and seems to be very logical and level headed person.

I personally prefer this method with my characters. But this is also because this is second nature to me. I always role play with my characters as ice breakers, thinks to keep me amused, or to add twists to conversations. This is not for everyone. xD Some people find this extremely awkward to do and don't like to do this.

But as I say, "Your characters aren't real enough until you can talk to them as if they standing (or sitting) right next to you as if they were your best friend."

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 06-13-2007, 08:54 AM

HOW TO CONNECT BACK WITH YOUR CHARACTERS PART 3

For those of us who are artists more then they are writers. xD

Drawing.
Drawing
Drawing!

Draw pictures of your characters, plain and simple.

The advantages of drawing your old characters.
- Remember what they look like
- You can add details (like a beauty mark by the eye)
- Create a moment from your story.

They say a picture is a thousand words. So if you draw a picture, maybe you'll figure out something about them that you hadn't before. You never know~

Also you can show emotions in pictures that are harder to do in words. Again, take a general situation and how would your character act in it?

If you drew a picture of them sick, would it show them unconscious? Would it show them grudging accepting help for their friend? Or show them blushing as they being cared for by a secret crush? Or faking "illness" to skip school?

If you have a problem coming up with situations and stuff. I suggest grabbing a 100 theme list (or a shorter version) and drawing them away!

Personally, I haven't really tried this. But then again I'm not a artist. So tell me how this works for those of you who try this approach! xD

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 06-13-2007, 09:11 AM

HOW TO CONNECT BACK WITH YOUR CHARACTERS PART 4

For those of us who are writers

Okay. Most don't use this approach because they are already facing writer's block or are at a lost how to start but it works for some okay?

There are two ways.
Fanfics
and
Drabbles

For those of you who don't mind touching the fanfic world, give it a try. Have your characters meet your favorite heroes and villians from your favorite tv show or anime or book. This is a good way to find out if your character is a mary sue or gary stu (especially if you post it online and get people to review). How would your character react if they met Harry Potter? How would they fit into the magical world?

How would they approach a world like Pokemon? Would they be the first one to sign up for Team Rocket? Or become set on become a pokemon master/ breeder/ coordinator? Or would they not like pokemon to begin with?

Drabbles are another way. 100 themes are a good example. just grab a list and start writing. Writing something different from your plotline might help get those creative juices flowing. xD It might help you discover something new about your characters as well.

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 06-13-2007, 12:31 PM

Thanks, Seito. Sorry...it got late and I had to go to bed since we have a plumber coming here early this morning to take care of some things. Thanks for posting those things, though! I might try the list thing since taking the characters out of the story for roleplay seems a bit difficult for me right now. I think I'm really struggling with separating them from what's going on in my novel!

I'll cross my fingers this'll spark some drabbling in me at least!

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 06-13-2007, 06:22 PM

you welcome! ^^
If you're up to role play and I'm online I'm more then happy to help you out! ^^

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 08-05-2007, 02:00 AM

chu~
the Facts/Quote/Picture of the Day has finally been updated for once. xD
I should really change it to of the Month. xD

Stephanie
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via AIM to Stephanie Send a message via MSN to Stephanie

Old 08-13-2007, 04:29 AM

Editor/Beta for hire
Username: Stephanie
Good at: Spelling, grammar, sentence structure, flow, vocabulary, pretty much everything.
Availability: Just PM it to me and I'll get on it. Let me know beforehand that you want me to be your Beta though, I don't want to read a random 9-page essay sitting in my inbox without knowing what its for. xD

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 08-13-2007, 04:35 AM

hehe. xD
shall I send you the next 3 chapters of reimei then? x3

Stephanie
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via AIM to Stephanie Send a message via MSN to Stephanie

Old 08-19-2007, 08:06 PM

Done xD

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 08-20-2007, 12:34 AM

bah you take too long to reply to post. x3

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 08-23-2007, 01:19 AM

*puts hands up, waves*I have a question~!
Can I ask about what should I category my story genre here? XD