Old 08-23-2007, 01:27 AM

sure
x3
what's your story about?

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 08-23-2007, 01:45 AM

Seito chan~*hugs*
hmmm...let me summarize it as short as possible.

Basically, about how a prince become a king! bleh! much more like, on the way the prince build up his own ministry, like finding talents or breaking evil plans before becoming a King. Oh yeah, with MAJOR help from the 'religion' priest and priestess. Setting is a fantasy, magical world.

...Is it a bit...untidy? T_T

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 08-23-2007, 01:53 AM

Nah. it's okay. x3

Well just from juding from that, I would say the best genre are Adventure/Action.

If magic, or fantasy also plays a big part then add that to the list.

(Sometimes stories have two genre) x3

Usually when choosing. xD Look at what type of elements play a huge part in your story. If there's a lot of romance then it goes under romance. Alot of high emotional moments and scenes then drama, x3

does that help ?

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 08-23-2007, 01:59 AM

But I think the story would be toooooo boring. Because to help a prince to udnerstand his country situation, it is more like a research of the country situation of its economy, crime rate, production, ministry...doesn't it sound boring?
But I like those process...and yeah, of course there is obstacle...
I just can't bring myself to determine which element is more. The setting is fantasy doesn't mean that the WHOLE thing is to be fantasy genre...is it not? Because it is not a story about finding any dragon pearl, any magic ball, or kill a bad sorcerer...Mine is intend to 'critiq' the government in my 'gentle' way.

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 08-23-2007, 02:10 AM

Well it's a bit like prince and the pauper then. x3 As they say, you never know until you try. To understand the crime rate have your prince live a life of crime, know the thrill of it, both the good and bad to it and finally to pay the consequences for it.

Get a solid plot down and from there choose what genre you want. What kind of reccurring themes come into play? If he meets a girl and falls in love, and you plenty of scenes expressing that, then it becomes a romance novel. If there are alot of moving scenes, where different emotions are constantly being expressed when it becomes a drama. (Like if your prince sees the death of the friend, understand that life isn't so black and white that would examples of drama)

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 08-23-2007, 02:12 AM

By the way, where does Prince and the Pauper genre falls into?
Kids? lol. I think kids would be too bored to read my kind of plot. SO hard for them. Yeah! I found the correct word! Sociology! Psychology! More towards society's needs.

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 08-23-2007, 02:20 AM

I dunno I'll look it up right now. xD Usually it just falls under classic most of the time. xD haha

Okies according to wiki it's falls under realistic fiction. x3
And I found an awesome little tip that might help you out.

http://www.bustertests.co.uk/answer/...analyse-genre/

It's how to analyze a genre but it might help you determine one. xD

Isn't sociology the study of human interaction and psychology is the study of the human mind. xD

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 08-23-2007, 02:28 AM

I know is different. lol. But since before you understand how a society interacts, you also need to understand an individual's thought, is it not? Start from small to big. As in one chinese proverbs said something like : before ruling the country manage your household, before managing household you should first be able to discipline yourself.

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 08-23-2007, 02:33 AM

ah here we go! x3
there seems to be 10 major genre which are broken up into smallers. xD But really you can just rank your story in one of the major ten and that'll be fine too. xD Ten Major Genres

I think you want Ideology, the study of ideas throughout society both socially,politically,historically and literary if you're going through the thought process. x3

sounds more like a midterm paper then a story you know. xD

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 08-23-2007, 02:39 AM

Yeah...that was what I am thinking too...
but for a midterm paper, mine plot is tooo DRAMATIC! there is magic! There is creature...and there is miracle! people can do things that is not possible in real life! :lol:

The previous one you gave is quite...ok for some. I only like the last question asking about the message of the story.

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 08-23-2007, 02:46 AM

haha x3 well as long as you can find balance between the two, then the story will be fine. xD

Well according the ten major genre, xD your story falls somewhere inbetween Realistic Fiction and Fantasy. It's not so much realistic fictions because you have magic and stuff, but at the same time it's not purely fantasy either. xD

well you're supposed to use that and figure out which genre it best match up with. xD

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 08-23-2007, 02:50 AM

*dances hawaiian dance~* Does the plot sounds intriguing? Does it kill a cat? :(

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 08-23-2007, 02:53 AM

well from the summary it seems a little flat, but then again I'm a picky reader. xD *it's a wonder why I'm running a help thread* I look forward to seeing how you'll manage to cover everything you want in there in a creative yet informative way. xD

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 08-23-2007, 03:06 AM

It is flat, it is just like explaining Harry Potter like this style.
Harry Potter is about a boy that goes to a wizarding school and he has an enemy call Voldemort.
For me, I won't really take on that bait. XD

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 08-23-2007, 03:18 AM

yup. if Harry Potter had been a normal book, I probably wouldn't have read it. But the reason why it's so damn popular is the fact that it's unique. We have COUNTLESS books that have magic but NONE of them deal with having a magical community in today's world. It's always in another world, another time, or so common that everyone can do it. Harry Potter is different. xD

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 08-23-2007, 03:24 AM

Thanks for all the links finding, Seito chan~*hugs hugs luffs*

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 08-23-2007, 03:26 AM

*hugs* no problem. xD hope this helped ya. I best update the list of useful links. xD

Aquarius

Old 12-11-2007, 09:25 PM

This thread helped me stabilize a few of my story characters, as well as assure myself that my rp characters were not M/Gary Sue/Stus. C:

It's nowhere near being done and I have only my three main characters mostly set, and I have the very beginning of the plot, but it still needs work, as it is very rough. xP

Basically, in this world, there are three major Classes, Combatants, Weavers, and Summoners. All three utilize magic in some way, and the magic comes from something called The Thread. The Thread is basically this invisible string that connects all living things. From The Thread, you can shoot fireballs and such. The Combatants use The Thread very subtly, using it in their bodies to fight hand-to-hand and using weapons. Weavers are called Weavers because they are the closest to The Thread, and have weapons shaped like a combination of large sewing needles and staves (weavers use elemental magic and such, most of the time they only use one or two elements). Summoners are more emotionally-based and basically they manifest their emotions by attaching something close to them in The Thread, such as a stone on a necklace or an earring.

In the story, there are two brothers named Asche and Vahn and basically Vahn has to raise Asche by himself because their father is the Magistrate, or the supreme judge on the council of the city that makes the decisions. In the story, I want to make it so that that Asche (the Summoner) and Vahn (the Combatant) meet up with a girl between their ages (15 and close to 24, 18?) who is a Weaver. They meet up with her after surviving the destruction of their city. A select few managed to survive. Their father, who has spies, was able to find out about the destruction, but only managed to warn a few people. Him and those people escaped but the destruction was so unorthodox and unexpected not even all the Weavers in the city were able to predict and prevent it.

And that's basically as far as I got. The girl is going to be from another city and survived by luck, as she was leaving the city that gets destroyed to return home when the city was destroyed.

I also want to incorporate another race other than human, I was considering using a dragon lizard type race. They could be the cause of the destruction, but I want one of the dragon things to be a good guy and join up with my three characters before all four find out who actually caused it.

[I think I might've made it clearer to myself as I was writing this post.. ahaha. That's how I write, it seems like when I sit down and start typing the words just flow out.

Also: wall of textttt.]

inkhart_9
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via Yahoo to inkhart_9

Old 01-11-2009, 05:14 PM

I think you have a good start, I like the different characters you are using and creativeness of the needles, weavers, and thread you are using in it. I feel like I've heard this from somewhere, like it sems familiar but I can't put my finger on it. Don't stop writing because of me! I think what you have is excellent.

The storyline is good, I wouldn't know about your race though, maybe you should make three instead of two? You know you have the humans and then two other races. One that is evil and maybe another that is neutral? Maybe you could call the race dragards? Since you are thinking of dragons and lizards what about dragards?They can look like a lizard but with wings, maybe they could have characteristics of a dragon, such as the ferocity, protectivness of their species, um, and maybe some other traits but don't ask me for any others for I seem to be out.

Yeah that is basically it and all I can think of, hope this is of some help. I'm gonna go see if I can my story on a remote. It's wierd yes but I can make this turn out to be a pretty darn good story.

fairywaif
Flitting free Girl

Old 01-19-2009, 02:18 AM

The other race could be dark elves, or even a human/dragon hybrid (which is what ti sounds like you might want.) They could breathe fire, and walk virtually unnoticed.

Can you see the thread? Can a select few see it?
Sounds a bit like the concept of ley lines in "Talking to Dragons." Not exactly though.

fairywaif
Flitting free Girl

Old 02-11-2009, 07:51 PM

Editor/Beta for hire
Username: fairywaif
Good at: Everything, especially grammar and and sentence structure. Also good at finding better ways to say things.
Availability: Especially weekends, I get on every day, but sometimes only for 10 minutes. After February 22nd my schedule becomes a lot clearer, so if you need something quickly before then, ask someone else.

I'm also good with personal idea-bouncing sessions, if soemone needs that out-of-forum.

Here's an idea for a challenge- Write a story with a love triangle, a nosey or gossipy person and an advice-giving bird.

Hayate
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via Yahoo to Hayate

Old 02-17-2009, 08:10 PM

This thread is for writers who are looking for ideas and/or looking to help other writers. I am personally going to be posting my started stories in clips for support. I stress that this is NOT for people to criticize but for people to Help others and myself. Oh, and NO PLAGIARISM!!! Have Fun. :D

Here I go this is just something I was thinking about. Please comment and tell me what you think. :)

Lifecycle Part 00.01

There I was fighting the balance of the universe. The fate of the world lay there in my hands. I looked down at my dirt covered hands which were green and brown with a yellow tint around my wrists. Three years ago I would have marveled at the sight but now they seemed taboo. Like I was holding a cursed object in my hands and knew my fate was a miserable one that could only end in defeat. Looking up at the smoke covered horizon I felt prematurely conquered. The fields of ash that lay in front of me where a mighty red wood forest had once thrived brought tears to my eyes. I fell in grief sitting on a still warm log. I thought of the beginning as if it was the end and my memory slowly fed into my consciousness.

Last edited by MurasakiCrown; 02-18-2009 at 02:40 AM.. Reason: merging threads makes this a double-post..

MurasakiCrown
\(@O@)ʌ...

Old 02-18-2009, 02:39 AM

Heya, just here to let you know that there is already a thread for this sort of thing here:
http://www.menewsha.com/forum/art/li...ting-come.html

I'll be merging your thread with that one.

Hayate
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via Yahoo to Hayate

Old 02-18-2009, 03:00 AM

I'm sorry, But why cant i have my own thread?

Edit 2-17-09 10:25:: Okay, I'm sorry for bothering you. I'm going now.

Last edited by Hayate; 02-18-2009 at 03:25 AM..