CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 04-02-2011, 08:21 AM

So, I've decided I want to play a game with you guys!

I've never played this before and, to be honest, the idea just came to me by reading an article on some ancient artwork and modern interpretations of the artwork. To put it short: it's like the game of telephone, where a chain of people each tell each other what they "think" they heard until the end of the chain is reached. At the end of the game, everyone gets to enjoy comparing the "original" to the "final product".

I've confused you, did I? Well, let's make this easier! Here's
how to play.

0. Post here saying you want to play! (And choose one of the three options.)

[SIZE="5"][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]I want to play Ancient Inscriptions![/COLOR][/SIZE]
> I want to draw!
> I want to write!
> I can write or draw, whichever you need!

1. When I have enough people to run a round (a minimum of four players), I'll send the first person in the round an image which they can either describe in a short sentence (under 30 words) or draw in the style of ancient/crude artwork. (Drawings should take no longer than 1 hour to complete!)

Example styles:
a) Children's Drawings
b) Cave Art
c) Egyptian Art
d) Mesoamerican art (Aztec, Mayan, Inca; etc)
e) Book of Kells
f) Greek Pottery

(Please note that you can draw it however you want, as long as the style is crude/ancient and leaves room for interpretation. Realism should be left behind because where's the fun if everyone knows exactly what something is?)

2) When the person has described the piece they were shown or drawn their picture, reply to my PM with their "answer". (Do not post your "answer" in the thread!)

3) I will PM the next person on the list the drawing or description and they will reply back to me with their "answer".

4) When the chain of people is completed (4 - 10 people long), I'll post the entire chain here for everyone to enjoy!

Quote:
For example...

I show someone a photograph of an apple pie.

The writer describes it as, "A round dessert with a lattice pattern made of its brown crust. Served hot."

The artist (let's pretend) doesn't interpret that as a 'pie' and draws a ball-shaped dessert with Xes on it and steam.

Then the next person down the line only sees the ball-shaped drawing and interprets that; etc.
Prizes
Of course you know I'll award people for sticking around.

The person who posts the most in this thread (other than me) will win one of this month's CI's (their choice). The second-most poster will get the other CI for this month (whichever the top poster didn't get). If there's a tie, I'll flip a coin and give the winner the first pick.

Anyone who participates in 2 or more rounds will get a small gift of gold. (The more you play, the higher the gold award will be.)

The people who impress me the most by 'getting' the game the best when they play will get some other prize... Dunno what it'll be yet. We'll just call it a 'surprise' since I don't know how many people will play or how many rounds we'll be going. xD

I'll organize this post better later. Wanted to post about the game before I got too sleepy!

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 04-02-2011, 08:22 AM

How The Story Grows...

Want to see how things turned out? Here are links to completed games!

The first game completed was "A_3": LINK (Chain of 4 players.)

The second game completed was "B_9": LINK (Chain of 4 players.)

The third game completed was "C_12": LINK (Chain of 4 players.)

The fourth game completed was "4": LINK (Chain of 6 players.)

<A break of several hours.>

The fifth game completed was "7": LINK (Chain of 6 players.)

The sixth game completed was "5": LINK (Chain of 6 players.)

The seventh game completed was "6": LINK (Chain with 7 players.)

<Another several-hour break here.>

The eighth game completed was "snarfblatt": LINK (Chain with 8 players.)

The ninth game completed was "fussybritches": LINK (Chain with 6 players.)

<Break for the night. To resume at about 5pm central if not earlier.>

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 04-02-2011, 08:22 AM

Also a reserved post!

Go ahead. :3

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 04-02-2011, 08:24 AM

*sets up camp*

I want to play Ancient Inscriptions!
> I want to write!

CK has fun games. <3

SesshysMiko
Literally, I can't.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:25 AM

> I want to write!

This looks so interesting! :D

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 04-02-2011, 08:26 AM

Ho ho. :3 Yay - test subjects. 8D

Iro
Lurker

Event Coordinator
Send a message via AIM to Iro

Old 04-02-2011, 09:15 AM

Woohoo! \o/

> I can write or draw, whichever you need!

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 04-02-2011, 09:16 AM

> I want to write!

This looks like fun!

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 04-02-2011, 09:27 AM

Excellent! That's four, so I can get this going. :3 Give me a few minutes to choose a good photo and the first PM should be sent out shortly!

Anyone else looking to play is more than welcome to say they're interested!

Iro
Lurker

Event Coordinator
Send a message via AIM to Iro

Old 04-02-2011, 09:37 AM

I have to head out for dinner pretty soon, CK, so my answer might take a few hours to reach. xD;

Eastriel
(。☉౪ ⊙&...

Old 04-02-2011, 09:38 AM

> I want to write!

Though I'd love to draw, with the lack of a tablet....I think thats a risky move....verging on sabotage. xDDDD

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 04-02-2011, 09:41 AM

No worries, Iro! Reply when you get there. :3 I decided to run simultaneous games since so many writers wanted to play. ::laughs::

Awesome, Eastriel. :3

If no other artists show up anytime soon, I'll just draw something so that it can be passed along to the next person. xD

Eastriel
(。☉౪ ⊙&...

Old 04-02-2011, 09:43 AM

If you need me to draw then I will, if i'm aloud to take a picture of what i've drawn and upload it instead of trying to draw it in paint or something hehe c: But I'd rather write, but if you need someone to speed the game along then that fine.c:
I just wanna confirm that the people that write are describe what their given to another person???

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 04-02-2011, 09:47 AM

That'd be fine, Eastriel. xD I don't mind if you take a photo of what you draw. (Or even if you have to use a mouse in an online paint program. 8D)

And yes - writers will get a picture and artists will get either a picture to draw their own interpretation of or a written description.

For example...

I show someone a photograph of an apple pie.

The writer describes it as, "A round dessert with a lattice pattern made of its brown crust. Served hot."

The artist (let's pretend) doesn't interpret that as a 'pie' and draws a ball-shaped dessert with Xes on it and steam.

Then the next person down the line only sees the ball-shaped drawing and interprets that; etc.

Hopefully I'm making sense. xD It's nearly 5am. D:

Eastriel
(。☉౪ ⊙&...

Old 04-02-2011, 09:49 AM

I get it now. C:
I think that might need to be added in to first post for all the thick people like me hehe C:
Oh this is going to be so much fun. :D
Gotta whip out mah adjectives. :P

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 04-02-2011, 09:49 AM

Oh yep. That makes sense as to how I understood the game.

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 04-02-2011, 09:52 AM

I'll post it up there. xD

I'm very curious as to how these will turn out, actually. xD I may have to go to sleep before all four rounds are done of each of the three versions. Hahaa. :3

Does anyone awake mind playing twice? (Or more?)

And if you know of anyone else who would like to play, let me know. :3 harass them to come play. 8D

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 04-02-2011, 09:55 AM

I'm keen to play more than once, I likes this game!

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 04-02-2011, 09:57 AM

Awesome. xD Hopefully I'll stay awake to have at least one full round go through and then I can figure out how to streamline the instructions to make it easier on everyone. xD

Though I'll probably sleep before doing the streamlining. >_>

Eastriel
(。☉౪ ⊙&...

Old 04-02-2011, 09:57 AM

I just tihnk i'mma gonna be glued to this thread

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 04-02-2011, 10:00 AM

Agreed. At least until I needs my sleep. I have to teach sunday school in the morning!

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 04-02-2011, 10:01 AM

Even better. xD

There's a similar game called "Telestrations", which is sort of like the drawing version of "Telephone". It's my favorite party game, perhaps ever. xD

The game starts with you being given a word or short phrase. You draw it and pass it to the next person, who describes the picture with a word or short phrase. And so on around the table. You have as many rounds going as there are people playing. (So if you have a group of 8, you do it 8 times around the table until you get your own card back.) And then you share it all and it's hilarious. You award points based on the most "creative" responses, the "funniest" and if yours comes back the same word as you started with, you get a point. :3

Hard to do that in the forums, but hopefully this version will be close enough. :3

And yikes, yeah. ::laughs:: I wouldn't want to teach Sunday school while half asleep!

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 04-02-2011, 10:06 AM

Last week I had honestly had something like 2 and a half hours sleep before I had to teach, thanks to a party. I felt like such a hypocrite, but at least I wasn't drinking.

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 04-02-2011, 10:08 AM

Two and a half hours. D:

I refuse to drive on less than five. >_<;

Eastriel
(。☉౪ ⊙&...

Old 04-02-2011, 10:09 AM

I love consequences. It's where you each have a peice of paper in your group and you start of by writing a girls name, the you fold it over so the next person can't see and then pass it on and the next person say a boys name, then a place, then what he said, then what she said, and then the consequence.

e.g.

CK
and
Yumeh
in
A bouncy castle
Ck says: CAREFULL YUMEH YOU HAVE CLAWS!
Yumeh says: MEOW *bounce
Consequence: BANG!