Goblin Maiden
SUPAH KITTEH HAPPEH POWAH.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:20 PM

D8 Yes, Mommy. *Mai unclings* Yay, I am now forgiven! Even if I for some strange reason don't really feel it. XD

It's a surprise, but I could PM you the details if you would like. 8D

ljosberinn
This is an obnoxious and offensi...

Old 07-11-2010, 07:09 PM

Hey Mai! I'm obsessed with contact juggling.. I just learned a new trick at circus practice yesterday and I can't stop doing it! It's passing from palm to palm while doing the butterfly, then I need to practice back to back of hand.. I also borrowed a photocopy of a book about it, so hoping to learn some more tricks from that. : D

HappyStarr
(^._.^)ノ

Old 07-11-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin Maiden View Post
Hi! I am Mai, the host of the Street Circus game. *Mai bows courteously*

I have a contact juggling ball and a learning DVD for it. I actually got it after finding out what it was that Jareth did with his "magic crystal ball" in the movie Labyrinth, which I heart. 8D I'm not that great at it, but I do intend to practice more. I was drawn to this thread because I was excited about finding out about other jugglers. 8D Okay, so I don't really count as a juggler yet... But hey, at least I'm trying. *Mai nods*
hahah that's why I started, too. I ALWAYS wanted to do that, since I first saw the movie when I was....0.o...8? I dunno, actually. But omg then I saw it again and tried figuring out what it was...and then people at the Renaissance Faire were doing it..I had to join in! Still kinda lousy...but hey. I'll get it eventually!

ljosberinn

Old 07-11-2010, 07:16 PM

Contact is fun because even though it's quite hard to get, you don't have to be very advanced to impress people. Especially with a see-through ball. : D

HappyStarr
(^._.^)ノ

Old 07-11-2010, 07:21 PM

haha that seems to be true... I'm at it to impress myself more, though. Wait...actually...I don't think that would take very much, either. Meh. I just wanna get as good as I can get. >D

Goblin Maiden

Old 07-11-2010, 07:22 PM

I got a clear acrylic ball... Problem? It's kinda scratched up from rolling into walls and stuff. XD I think as a newbie I should have sprung for a solid colored, cheaper one first... Ah, well. You live and you learn. As you drop your ball again. And again. And again. XD

ljosberinn

Old 07-11-2010, 07:29 PM

Haha yeah I got a practice ball first, both because it doesn't scratch or break, and because it was a lot cheaper.. just in case I lost interest in it. P: I've already managed to fracture my acrylic ball though, and it's scratched like hell, but eh. I'll keep that one to play with and later, I'll get a bigger on to really show off with, since the break in it is very visible, at least when you know it's there.

But yeah. STAY OFF CONCRETE with your acrylic balls. :| I learned that the hard way.. Anything else will pretty much just scratch it, which isn't that bad.

HappyStarr
(^._.^)ノ

Old 07-11-2010, 07:38 PM

ya...I bought a practice ball. The guy at the Ren Faire was talking about how fragile the other ones could be, I was like "Ya....if I break my ball right away, I'm gonna lose all hope..." So I got one that wouldn't...^_^"

Goblin Maiden

Old 07-11-2010, 07:40 PM

I practice over carpet or cushions. 8D I do NOT want to break my $25 ball. O___o;;; Yeah, pricey for a beginner... Hmmm. Maybe I should spring for a practice ball instead that I won't have to worry about as much.

ljosberinn

Old 07-11-2010, 07:48 PM

I think it's best to practice on grass! Though if there's strong sunshine, be careful not to keep your ball in one place too long, since it starts burning really quickly.
And the balls don't break break that easily.. first you get a crack in it, but if you drop it again and again after you get the crack, then it will get bigger until it can break apart. Or so I've heard anyway.. so I'm always extra careful with mine now since it's already cracked.

Practice balls are a lot lighter though.. I know that when I use my practice ball now (it is also a bit smaller than my acrylic one), I keep losing control of it because I'm used to a much heavier ball.

HappyStarr
(^._.^)ノ

Old 07-11-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljosberinn View Post

Practice balls are a lot lighter though.. I know that when I use my practice ball now (it is also a bit smaller than my acrylic one), I keep losing control of it because I'm used to a much heavier ball.

yaa I learned that, too. XD I got to play with an acrylic ball when I went to Faerie Festival and it was much easier to control. Came back and played with my practice ball, and it was flying everywhere. XD

Goblin Maiden

Old 07-11-2010, 07:52 PM

Hmmm, that is what I thought about practice balls being lighter than acrylic ones... Maybe I will just stick with my acrylic and be veeeeery careful like usual. XD

ljosberinn

Old 07-11-2010, 07:55 PM

Yeah, as long as you don't practice on concrete or near breakable objects you should be fine.. it may get scratched, but it's always going to get scratched anyway. Later on, you can get another one you keep shiny to show off with and keep a scratched one to practice with. :P
I suppose it could be good practice to be able to control a lighter ball though. Sort of.. fine-tuning your control, I guess?

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 07-12-2010, 12:11 PM

Oh, talking about juggling, I tried to learn juggling, biut I didn't have place for it, since my balls always kept rolling under something. >o<;

ljosberinn

Old 07-13-2010, 04:53 PM

Go to the park, or somewhere outside on the grass. ^_______^

Hmm I'm a lousy host.. isn't the event almost over? Would people be interested in a juggling themed hangout in the Menewsha Nation? Or should we just keep to the General Discussion thread about juggling?

Goblin Maiden

Old 07-13-2010, 04:58 PM

Oh, oh, hangout! Haaangout! 8D We could be juggling compatriots! JUGGLERS IN ARMS. *Mai flails* Like, an accountability thing? It would be a lot easier to practice if I had fellow jugglers guilt-tripping me into it. XD

HappyStarr
(^._.^)ノ

Old 07-13-2010, 05:03 PM

A hangout would be grand! I might actually practice...>.>

ljosberinn

Old 07-13-2010, 05:11 PM

Oh, awesome! It always helps to have other people to remind you to practice, though of course even better when they can practice with you. I'll make a hangout thread.. err, just not now since I'm about to fall asleep. Been a long day and I've got circus practice later, so gonna take a nap I think. I'll let you guys know when the thread is up!

Goblin Maiden

Old 07-13-2010, 05:14 PM

Thanks! Can you message me or PM me the link when it's up? Have a nice sleep. 8D

HappyStarr
(^._.^)ノ

Old 07-13-2010, 05:15 PM

Oh awesome! Can't wait! =D

ljosberinn

Old 07-13-2010, 07:55 PM

Alrighty, here it is! I kept the name and just basically copied the first posts.. I need to add more links though. I'll search for them later. And if you have ideas for a new name, feel free to post them. :)

Goblin Maiden

Old 07-14-2010, 12:58 PM

Yaaay! 8D I posted in there, as I think you know already.

Hmmm... After the event ends I will definitely juggle more. I'll tell you guys and you can be all "MAI WHY AREN'T YOU JUGGLING."

ljosberinn

Old 07-14-2010, 04:45 PM

Woop! And I will be there as much as I can to remind you guys to practice practice practice! When I'm not busy practicing myself, that is. 8D YAY ANOTHER PRACTICE TONIGHT WITH CIRCUS PEOPLES! I'm going to have to skip tomorrow's because of work. :(

Goblin Maiden

Old 07-14-2010, 04:53 PM

HOORAAAAY!!! *Mai cheers happily* Whoot for bullying people into practicing. >8D Er, I mean, encouraging others to practice? XD

Pearl
Toruk Makto

Old 07-14-2010, 04:56 PM

Everyone has a lot of gold in this thread. Is it all through posting?

I don't play the games and barely post, so I'm totally behind on gold inflation. 750-1000g for one new DI seems like a heck of a lot to me. When I joined new DIs were 150g-200g each!