Ixie
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-19-2010, 01:13 AM

I love the genre of fantasy. And at times it seems that the only good fantasy I can find seem to be YA authors(Holly Black, Cassandra Clare ect.) I avoid the ones that look as if they are trying to cash in on the Twilight fad.

I'm looking for more...I guess adult authors. I love De Lint. So give please, suggest.

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 11-19-2010, 09:38 AM

Hmmmm..... High fantasy or like urban fantasy? They're quite different. Do you mean where the author makes an entire world, or uses ours?

High Fantasy:
Robert Jordan

Comedic Fantasy:
Terry Pratchett

Dragons:
Anne McCaffery.

LadyKnightSkye
Now the Mule of Kin-Akari

Old 11-19-2010, 02:19 PM

I'd also add in Mercedes Lackey and Piers Anthony. Lackey has a lot of really good novels in several categories of fantasy, and Piers Anthony has a series that I loved, though I forget exactly what he called it. ^^; The first book in it is called On A Pale Horse, and is about a man who becomes the personification of Death.

Ixie
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-19-2010, 04:54 PM

I've been looking at Mercedes Lackey, her stuff looks pretty good, I just don't know what series to start with, same with McCaffery. I've not looked at any of Robert Jordan's stuff, same with Terry Pratchett.

As far as what type, I'll give a lot of it a shot. Both Clare and Black are urban fantasy and De Lint writes both- it's really a split with him. I just don't want to pickup/buy a book get into it then realize I don't like the writing style

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 11-20-2010, 05:28 AM

Jordan is pretty hard to get into... (two 700 page books before I was interested) but Pratchett is very funny and easygoing.

Clavietika Tres Ojos
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-20-2010, 09:03 PM

China Mieville, Jeff VanderMeer, Terry Brooks, and Hal Duncan.