Narcissus
Taking a hiatus. See my sig for ...

Old 11-02-2010, 08:35 AM

I'm not looking for manga or comic books right now (I know tons that I love and want to get!) but I'd like to read more and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. I haven't read tons yet, but most of the basics like Blankets, MAUS, Persepolis, Scott Pilgrim, Black Hole, Epileptic, One Hundred Demons, etc. I guess I like autobiographies a lot, but I'd like to read any kind.

Angelica_Eve_Jeske

Old 11-12-2010, 04:44 PM

try The Good Neighbors, if you like fantasy. as far as autobiographies, I don't really know any graphic novels

Rainy Day
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-13-2010, 12:36 AM

If you like autobiographical stuff, you might like AEIOU: Any Easy Intimacy Though it's apparently the third in a trilogy (I did not know this!), it works just fine on its own. I'm not sure how to describe it, but I'd definitely recommend it. I picked it up on a whim in my local comic book store and I didn't regret it, and the friends I've lent it to have also enjoyed reading it.

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 11-13-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcissus View Post
I haven't read tons yet, but most of the basics like Blankets, MAUS, Persepolis, Scott Pilgrim, Black Hole, Epileptic, One Hundred Demons, etc. I guess I like autobiographies a lot, but I'd like to read any kind.
Hot damn, you've already read the ones I came to suggest....

But given the autobiographical focus, you might also be interested in:

Stitches by David Small
Jimmy Corrigan; The Smartest Kid of Earth by Christ Ware
Fun Home by Alison Bechdel

Narcissus
Taking a hiatus. See my sig for ...

Old 11-14-2010, 09:42 AM

Thanks, guys! I'll try them all out! :3

Quote:
Stitches by David Small
Jimmy Corrigan; The Smartest Kid of Earth by Christ Ware
Fun Home by Alison Bechdel
I've read Fun Home too actually. Stitches looks so interesting! Thanks for recommending it!

Black Phoebe
\ (•◡•) /

Old 11-21-2010, 03:57 AM

Try 'Maus'

It's about the Holocaust, but the victims are represented by mice, and the Nazi's by Cats

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 11-21-2010, 09:42 AM

Have you seen the V for Vendetta Graphic novel? It is much awesomeness.

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 11-22-2010, 01:58 PM

Marvel released a version of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz that apparently follows the original story closely. The illustrations are in full colour and very delightful. I think the artist was Scottie Young.

seth1313
Dead Account Holder

Old 11-25-2010, 04:05 AM

FABLES is really good. I love the re imagination of fairy tale characters in the modern world.
Also the gunslinger from the dark tower series.
Lone wolf and cub

I know I can list off a lot more if I wasn't so tired lol.

Demoncat
Unknown species
Send a message via MSN to Demoncat

Old 12-04-2010, 10:13 PM

I really liked Watchmen by Alan Moore, he has a lot of other great graphic novels too like V for Vendetta and the League of extraordinary gentlemen.

Aspinou
Blurgh

Old 12-06-2010, 01:01 PM

You might like the Berlin series by Jason Lutes, that's the only one I can come think of that haven't already been suggested :sweat:

redrabbit
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-11-2010, 09:51 AM

If you like Black Hole, read Ghost World or pretty much anything by Daniel Clowes. He has the best characters and dialogue of any 'realistic' sort of comic book artist I've ever read. It's not an autobiography per-say but it's a very personal book, following two teenagers leaving highschool and what happens to their relationship with their environment, parents and friends and the like.

A Velvet Glove Cast in Iron is an amazing book by Clowes too, and written like a detective noir movie- all internal monologue narration, kind of like Maus I think.

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 12-15-2010, 01:33 PM

There is also an interesting graphic novel called Foiled. I think the creator's name is Jane Yolen or something....

Codette
The One and Only

Penpal

Old 12-15-2010, 03:09 PM

umm the only one I can suggest (since you've read Scott Pilgrim) is Sherrilyn Kenyon's 'Dark Hunter' Series. She has it both in novel form, and now the first... 5 books I think, transferred to Graphic Novel.