fairywaif
Flitting free Girl

Old 08-27-2010, 03:11 PM

What is your favorite fairy tale? Do you have a favorite retelling of an old one?

I read one where it was told mostly through text messages and messages on a chat board for several classic characters, like the beast. There was also a series of them, although I can't remember the series name. There were a couple of others too, but as you can tell I have a terrible time remembering titles.

For traditional fairy tales I always like the 12 dancing princesses. Snow white was a favorite also.

I actually thought of a twist on Rapunzel, where she was in the tower by choice. I still need to work out the details though.

Nolori
Everyone's Favorite Imaginary Fr...

Old 08-27-2010, 05:05 PM

My two favorites are The Little Matchstick girl, as sad as that is, and one about... uhm. Goodness, I can hardly remember it. Baba Yaga and... birds? And people are turned into birds? And I think the girl gets turned into a bird and the guy comes to save her? Maybe it's the other way around. I can remember the description of Baba Yaga's forest (or at least the image I thought of when I read the description) really well, but I can't remember what the story was called.

fairywaif
Flitting free Girl

Old 08-27-2010, 09:29 PM

That sounds familiar to me also, but I can't place it.

The Little Matchstick girl is SO sad! Just like the original Little Mermaid story by Hans Christian Andersen.

Nolori
Everyone's Favorite Imaginary Fr...

Old 08-28-2010, 06:13 PM

You know, I've never read the original. I think I heard it on the radio as a reading once, but I can hardly remember. Does she turn into some kind mist or air or something when she dies? I... I think that was it.

fairywaif
Flitting free Girl

Old 08-30-2010, 08:50 PM

She turns into sea foam, but close enough.

Crimson_daffodils_Layla
*^_^*

Old 10-21-2010, 09:42 PM

I love all fairytales lol and as a result I've read a lot of books based on them. My list:
Phoenix Dance by Dia Calhoun is a new adaptation of the twelve dancing princesses.
The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale, which is a new adaptation of The Goose Girl. The Book of a Thousand Days (also by Shannon Hale) is a retelling of the Grimm Fairytale Maid Maleen which is obscure--I'd never heard of it before borrowing the book from the library.
Beast by Donna Jo Napoli is a new adaptation of Beauty and the Beast
Breath (also by Donna Jo Napoli) is a retelling of the tale of the Pied Piper
Bound (again by Donna Jo Napoli) is a retelling of Cinderella.
Beastly by Alex Flinn is another Beauty and the Beast story
A Kiss in Time (also by Alex Flinn) is a retelling of Sleeping Beauty.
I think that's it so far :) I'm hoping to find more based on fairytales the next time I go to the library.

PrincessBane
Disciple of the Dark Sun

Old 10-21-2010, 09:55 PM

I LOVE fairy tales. In fact, I have like 12 volumes filled with fairytales. I used to love the Golden Bird. I also loved the original "Little Mermaid" story. It was a beautiful story and I have this morbid fascination with tragic endings. Also, any story that involved a prince rescuing a princess, then falling in love and so on had my vote. Some of my favourites was East o' the Sun and West o' the Moon, Rapunzel, Sleeping Beauty, Jack the Giant Killer. I had so many versions of Cinderella...xD I really liked the Korean version. I also would read asian folktales, which were always so exotic and poetic. Mmmmm...I could go on and on...another one I liked was The Maiden, The Knight and the Waterfall. >3< Or The Six Swans, Twelve Dancing Princesses, etc etc etc and etc.

Crimson_daffodils_Layla
*^_^*

Old 10-21-2010, 09:59 PM

I have about 10 or 11 different books that are nothing but fairytales from around the world XD I've got the brothers Grimm, Korean, French, Italian fairytales, tales about demons, an abridged-ish version of the thousand nights, etc etc... I read them if I'm in a fairytale mood :)

PrincessBane
Disciple of the Dark Sun

Old 10-21-2010, 10:15 PM

Omg, me too. I usually read fairytales if I'm upset. It really wouldn't help me now since I believe love doesn't exist anymore.

Crimson_daffodils_Layla
*^_^*

Old 10-22-2010, 08:50 PM

I think love exists, but I haven't really seen it myself. I know God loves me, and I know my two best friends are in love/think they are in love with me, but I don't think I've ever really felt it myself. I'm emotionally constipated.

PrincessBane
Disciple of the Dark Sun

Old 10-22-2010, 11:59 PM

I thought it existed, but I was proven wrong. <3 Lol...emotionally constipated?

jessa201

Old 10-23-2010, 01:03 PM

I love fairytales! I keep my eye open for retellings and such. Of the classics, my favorite would be beauty and the beast. For new ones, I like Robin McKinley's books and Mercedes Lackey's.

PrincessBane
Disciple of the Dark Sun

Old 10-24-2010, 04:32 AM

Beauty and the Beast is a wonderful fairytale. I love both the original version and the re-make. I've even seen the Broadway for it and it was really heart-wrenching. It totally made me cry.

Crimson_daffodils_Layla
*^_^*

Old 10-25-2010, 09:16 PM

Yes emotionally constipated XD I usually have no idea what I'm feeling. I know what happiness and sadness and anger feel like, but love? Foreign language.
I love the tale of the little mermaid, especially Disney's version if only because it's happier.

Angelica_Eve_Jeske

Old 11-12-2010, 04:47 PM

I really like the Once Upon a Time novels that retell the stories. I have six of them

sweet windmelody
Cookies is my life!!!!

Old 12-23-2010, 04:53 AM

My favorite is the movie version of the Little Mermaid since she didn't die. But I like Beastly a retelling story of Beauty and the Beast. Both the fairy tale and the book is very good and I love it.

Naahara

Old 12-24-2010, 06:52 PM

I love Beauty and the Beast. Almost all versions of it.
Beastly by Alex Flinn is great.
Beauty: A Retelling of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley.
And, of course, the Disney version ^^

redrabbit
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-27-2010, 10:49 AM

I'm not a huge fan of modern retellings. I like how suggestive and/or grotesque the original stories are, as well as how simple and innocent. I have small cousins that beg me to tell them stories anytime I see them, and I think I have a bank of at least thirty stories that I know by heart. Mostly classic ones. I love the 12 dancing princesses the most I think because it uses the rule of three's so many times.