stationwagon
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-09-2007, 06:08 PM

SO I am really into art.
But not the 2-d art, I like the three dementional aspects like ceramics and wheel throwing.
I know there isn't a big demand for that online, but does anyone else absolutely love working with clay?

Jitsumi1221
(◎_◎;)
Send a message via AIM to Jitsumi1221 Send a message via MSN to Jitsumi1221 Send a message via Yahoo to Jitsumi1221

Old 03-09-2007, 06:11 PM

humm.. i love painting greenware, but ive never actually made my own ceramic or clay-ware? im really fond of working with metals though.

fongmingyun
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to fongmingyun Send a message via MSN to fongmingyun Send a message via Yahoo to fongmingyun

Old 03-09-2007, 06:18 PM

Oh man, I only started recently, but I adore making maquettes. I've been hoping to sell some, but they're awfully expensive to make in the first place!

stationwagon
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-09-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongmingyun
Oh man, I only started recently, but I adore making maquettes. I've been hoping to sell some, but they're awfully expensive to make in the first place!
what are thoes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jitsumi1221
humm.. i love painting greenware, but ive never actually made my own ceramic or clay-ware? im really fond of working with metals though.
Do you make your own glazes to paint with?

fongmingyun
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to fongmingyun Send a message via MSN to fongmingyun Send a message via Yahoo to fongmingyun

Old 03-09-2007, 06:26 PM

Maquettes are like models - they're what animation studios use, often to get a better sense of the characters.

This is the one I did for class.
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/49863693/

Here are some DeviantART maquette artists:
http://shapestrong.deviantart.com
http://mumbojumbo.deviantart.com

stationwagon
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-09-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Maquettes are like models - they're what animation studios use, often to get a better sense of the characters.

This is the one I did for class.
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/49863693/

Here are some DeviantART maquette artists:
http://shapestrong.deviantart.com
http://mumbojumbo.deviantart.com
I like that last one.
The one you did is really good.
I made a person once, but its not very good and I couldn't get the head right do I didn't add it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...c/PA250205.jpg

Jitsumi1221
(◎_◎;)
Send a message via AIM to Jitsumi1221 Send a message via MSN to Jitsumi1221 Send a message via Yahoo to Jitsumi1221

Old 03-09-2007, 06:44 PM

nope im afraid i bought all my paints and then brought it all home to work on stuff before taking it back to the place to get fired. i used to do this when i was a lot younger though with my mother ^^'' havent actually had the change to paint anything in a pretty long time now.

luciole
*^_^*

Old 03-09-2007, 06:46 PM

I bought some super sculpey and wanna try to do some ^_^

stationwagon
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-10-2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciole
I bought some super sculpey and wanna try to do some ^_^
Go for it. Working w ith your hands is fun.

luciole
*^_^*

Old 03-11-2007, 06:06 AM

.....Does it mean I'm going to have to trim my nails?

musado
щ(ºДºщ)

Old 03-11-2007, 06:52 AM

clay feels wonderful when i'm working with them *A*

the results aren't so wonderful XD

stationwagon
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-11-2007, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciole
.....Does it mean I'm going to have to trim my nails?
Nope. not if you dont mind the underneath getting dirty, I have long nails they actually help sometimes.

fongmingyun
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-12-2007, 12:21 AM

Ihave short nails, and I hate having to pick clay out from under them.

going ot have to take a trip to the art store eventually.

stationwagon
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-12-2007, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Ihave short nails, and I hate having to pick clay out from under them.

going ot have to take a trip to the art store eventually.
Were do you live?
Because in New York City there is a pearl paint store that is four stories tall!

fongmingyun
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-12-2007, 01:20 AM

That's random. We have a Pearl Paint here, too - but it's only got three stories.

stationwagon
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-12-2007, 04:08 AM

Quote:
That's random. We have a Pearl Paint here, too - but it's only got three stories.
well kuz you mentioned you were going to the art store, it made me think i haven't been to pearl in a long time.

FuzzyNinjaPenguin
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to FuzzyNinjaPenguin Send a message via MSN to FuzzyNinjaPenguin Send a message via Yahoo to FuzzyNinjaPenguin

Old 03-13-2007, 03:49 AM

I use to.
See.
My mom is really into it.
Or was.
But then she got sick.
So I don't even think we own clay anymore.
Which is really sad.
Cause I loved it.
I found it way easier.

luciole
*^_^*

Old 03-14-2007, 03:12 PM

my very first sculpey sculpture! XDDDD i uh.. didn't check the oven tray when i baked it and it turned out to be oily >>;;; so the oil soaked up into the bunnies and changed the color T___T

and then one of the ears broke off >>;;;;

then I sprayglossed it XD

C&C welcommmmmme! how do i get rid of fingerprints? ><;;

ScarletStratholme
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-15-2007, 12:31 PM

When you sculpt it to avoid fingerprints one thing you can do is use gloves. Seriously just bum some gloves off the chem department or bio department. If you actually want to buy em, almost any store has gloves. It's what I do when I work with clay. I imagine it'd work with sculpey clay too. :) Just wash your gloves and let em dry again later if you didn't make holes in em. ^_^ Gloves don't work for clay pots; you don't need gloves for that.

Also if you need structural support, for large clay items, one thing you can do is work with newspaper and wire. I do it all the time because I'm too lazy to clear the center out--when you do that it has a stupid tendancy to ruin the shape a bit.

If you start with newspaper and paper tape, like you were going to papermache, and then you use a bit of wire, and then top clay on it, you can do really large scupltures and it works out fine. I've done that, but my problem right now is painting those is a little annoying because it's not flat. It's not like canvas. So I'm still refining that.

Commissionwise, never going to do clay for online just because shipping charges is insane... But..it is a very fun hobby I think. :) Messy but it's messy in a fun good way. May sound weird but I like the way cold wet clay feels as you're shaping it. :)

heather_54
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to heather_54 Send a message via Yahoo to heather_54

Old 03-17-2007, 02:40 AM

i love ceramics i signed up for it for next year but i never did it just look so fun to do

ScarletStratholme
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-17-2007, 01:24 PM

^^ I think you'll probably like it. I've never really met anyone that just absolutely hated working with clay. Even though I'm not really ubergood at it, it's still fun.