Risque
bing chilling

Old 09-13-2013, 09:15 AM

Any renters on Menewsha?
How do you spruce up your living space without breaking lease terms?

I like to use command sticky strips for putting up posters. I also have a set of command hooks, and I was contemplating putting up some Christmas lights in my bedroom. :3

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-13-2013, 10:59 AM

What are these strips? :O I use Pritt tack for sticking stuff on the walls. I don't know what you guys have over there, but it's a white and supposedly non-staining version of Blu tack, which has existed since the dawn of time, and what people have always used in the UK, but it leaves marks/pulls paint off. The Pritt tack leaves greasy marks behind, and the stuff gradually loses its hold, so stuff falls down eventually >.> So I'd love to find a decent alternative.

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-13-2013, 07:01 PM

After having mixed (mostly very bad) results with various wall-safe sticky stuff over the years I have instead learned to properly patch holes, match paint and cover them with no-one the wiser.

One "trick" I do with my kids' rooms to reduce the number of holes in the wall is to buy giant bulletin boards - can find them for around 12 bucks at walmart-like places - that way they can tack up stuff to their hearts' content and I only need to worry about the mounting holes. Right now they've each got two side-by-side on one wall of their rooms, which effectively gives them the whole wall to work with.

This is a great thread idea, btw! :3

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-13-2013, 07:20 PM

Yeah, I'm thinking painting over the marks will probably be easiest. Especially as every single wall in my flat is the ubiquitous magnolia colour that the entire UK's homes are painted in by default -.-

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-13-2013, 09:25 PM

Ooh, put up string lights, put up string lights! I have some, and they are the best. Here's a picture. Those particular ones I bought recently in the patio/outdoor section of Target for just around $5. Since they don't have the dark green cord of actual christmas lights, they look much more all-season-friendly. They come in other colors too.

That being said, I currently live in my parents' home, so I can mess things up to my heart's content, so I can't give much apartment decorating advice. I'll be reading everyone else's, though. I love covering my walls in stuff, so the inevitable apartment living is gonna kill me.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-14-2013, 03:09 PM

I LOVE string lights, but here's another joy of living in rented accomodation...lack of plugs >.>

There's only 4 outlets in my living room, and they're all on the same wall : /

Risque
bing chilling

Old 09-14-2013, 06:51 PM

I don't like that tack stuff cause yeah, it leaves marks and I think the exposure to air makes them harden up.. lots of fun to play with though!

Jelly, the strips I am talking about are these: Googler
I have taken some off after 2 months with no damage. The matching hooks are great for hanging calendars too!

@ Belly: Nice one with the bulletin board. Do you have to get that contraption to find specific places in the wall where you can make a hole though? I don't really know how those work.

@ Cherry: OOO, String lights! I am sold.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-14-2013, 07:29 PM

Ok, just bought some command strips on Ebay!

Thank you Risque the Enabler :D In a few days, I'll be sticking stuff back up and covering up the marks left by other stuff, hopefully

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-15-2013, 09:32 PM

Uuuugh, I hate rooms without many outlets. I almost never plug things directly into an outlet, I always have tons of those power strips where you plug it in and it has six or so outlets on it. I'm not quite sure how a room would function without those!

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-16-2013, 12:36 AM

To get some light over the other side of my living room, I've got a 4 way extension plugged into the wall, then another 4 way one plugged into that one, then a 2 way one plugged into that one

I could go the other way around the room, but the door is there : /

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-16-2013, 02:37 AM

There are usually some pretty long extension cords at hardware stores, maybe that would be worth a try?

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-17-2013, 01:29 AM

I'm reluctant to buy more when I've already got some though ><

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-17-2013, 01:42 AM

Ah, I misunderstood you, I thought you meant the four way plugs, not an actual extension cord. My brain needs some work.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-17-2013, 01:57 AM

Ah, I'm with you :)