Penpal

Old 01-02-2019, 02:39 PM

little New Year hiccup, eh?

welcome back mene!

zazabar
(◎_◎;)
Send a message via MSN to zazabar

Old 06-12-2019, 12:12 PM

Who do I talk to about helping to fix the site?

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 06-13-2019, 10:18 AM

I think zigbigadorlube: might still come on. (She's an admin) she might be the one to talk to.

Really truly it should be the owner, Inso...but I dont think he has been on for a long time.

zazabar
(◎_◎;)

Old 06-13-2019, 10:59 AM

Yeah cant really ask the owner if they have abandoned the place so admin will have to do lol.

Roachi
ϟ△⃒⃘

Penpal

Old 06-15-2019, 01:26 AM

I wonder why he hasn't sold the place and let someone else take care of it. He must still be paying for the server obviously??

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 06-18-2019, 12:11 PM

It would make sense to sell it to someone who is actually interested in its upkeep.

zazabar
(◎_◎;)

Old 06-19-2019, 12:10 AM

Since no one has any contact with Inso, I emailed their domain registrar about getting a hold of them. Doubt it will lead to anything but you never know~

R u b y
Grand Duchess of Gifs & Memes™

Old 06-19-2019, 11:25 AM

I appreciate your efforts Zazabar

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-22-2019, 12:31 PM

Roachi - Menewsha was always a money sink and a place for him to tinker with code. So he was always never going to make any money off of us. The guy last I knew owned a sports car and 2 motorcycles so the cost of menewsha probably flies under the radar for him. Especially since another site he owns pays for menewshas cost of running. (Though he would not say which one)

Zazabar - If you do find a way to contact him please do let me know. I'm currently saving up in the event that he decides to sell Menewsha or let it expire. (Or potentially taking it farther because I'm getting tired of him just leaving the site in its current state)

--

The only way I have ever been able to get ahold of Inso is through Yan.

R u b y

Old 06-26-2019, 08:05 PM

Honestly I really hope you're able to get it Poet. It'd be nice to have it be taken care of again

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-27-2019, 03:55 AM

It would definitely involve a lot of user discussion if that were the case. This community likes to be involved in site changes not left in the dark for extended periods of time.

That's the only reason I have been open about my intentions, as mene has clearly been abandoned and is in need of proper care.

R u b y

Old 06-28-2019, 07:53 PM

I agree with that completely. It's why mene is so dead now. It already wasnt great and being left in the dark for 2 years really puts a damper on things. I know I'd still be around if it makes a comeback <3

I really appreciate you telling all of us you want it, gives me hope. Inso just has to be willing to sell. Or come back and fix it.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-28-2019, 10:14 PM

Reviving menewsha isn't exactly easy though. Most of us are mobile now at this point and menewsha is very much so not mobile friendly. Many are also mothers or working full time, so having an active browser format really does not help mene any.

It's why I was so adamant that we reduce the number of forums we have on Menewsha. It's just not user friendly on mobile at all.

Though that'd cost a pretty penny to fix. I've wanted to learn to code at some point... but I think I'll wait until I know what sort of code I'll need to learn.

(At some point I will probably make an actual thread about it... get everyone's opinion on it and all. Maybe see if we can drag inso's attention back to mene and get all this nonsense figured out)

Last edited by The Wandering Poet; 06-28-2019 at 10:16 PM..

R u b y

Old 06-29-2019, 09:27 AM

By mobile friendly do you mean like games and such or? I've been on mene on my phone lots of times and never had an issue outside of games not loading

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-29-2019, 12:45 PM

True but there are several issues.

1. Zooming in causes issues with selecting items in your inventory. (You select the item and it can sometimes be not where it should be. I've had them load halfway off the visible screen before.

2. You have to zoom in nearly every time you want to click a link.

3. You have to zoom in to manage a post unless you know the codes. You also can't preview what they do to learn.

4. As you stated, the games don't work. And several were made FOR menewsha. While the fangirl game I can understand (I have my own issues with that one), but several others could have utilized mobile.

5. Searching for a user/page tends to load similarly to the item selections in inventory.

6. There are a TON of forums, and for a busy world with busy users there isn't always enough time to find a thread that is currently unread. (This is more of a short-term issue but in the long run the site is far too spread thin for a mobile format)

7. In some places on the site on mobile you have a collection of links right next to each other. So you have to zoom in really far or get lucky.

8. Sorting your inventory with a click and drag system. It's as far as I've tried impossible to do.

Those are the ones I could think of.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 06-29-2019, 03:53 PM

I wish the problems would be addressed.
Then I pretty much think if he offered to sell it there would be someone who would buy it.
It makes me incredibly sad that so many people have put so much money into this site and its just shriveling up to dust.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-29-2019, 05:51 PM

If he offered to sell Menewsha, no matter the state someone would be here to buy it hummy. I recently bought a house but I am saving up to be able to do exactly that. Though mostly saving up and talking to other users about it currently. Getting the opinions of many of the users.

Granted, I highly doubt mene is worth much right now in it's current state. But I would still buy it even if all that remained was the name.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 06-29-2019, 11:09 PM

I keep hoping for the best

Shion Uzuki
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-03-2019, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wandering Poet View Post
If he offered to sell Menewsha, no matter the state someone would be here to buy it hummy. I recently bought a house but I am saving up to be able to do exactly that. Though mostly saving up and talking to other users about it currently. Getting the opinions of many of the users.

Granted, I highly doubt mene is worth much right now in it's current state. But I would still buy it even if all that remained was the name.
The current issues wouldn't be all that hard to fix. Mainly, if the site was made mobile friendly, CI's were reinstated, and the various JS issues were corrected, it would still be going. But I think more would need to be done with a site like this to get it back to the levels it used to be at a number of years ago. (Maybe like 6-7 years back?)

It's ultimately a dress up forum in an age where people use reddit and not individual small websites. So more would have to be done to keep people coming back and involved.

For everyone still here, it's nostalgia, their friends/threads, and time/investment. But that's not enough to bring in fresh blood and keep them around.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 07-03-2019, 03:16 PM

I think the biggest drop was when coded events went away. All it required was posting so people stopped browsing around the site trying to get the special items. As you say it was just a dress up site, it doesn't have anything else to bring people in. Though that simplicity gives it the opportunity to go in any direction it wants if it were revived.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 07-03-2019, 05:13 PM

I still think some people prefer the avatar forums over social media

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 07-04-2019, 12:31 AM

I actually like the non-coded events better. The coded ones were often confusing, in my opinion.

Shion Uzuki
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-04-2019, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wandering Poet View Post
I think the biggest drop was when coded events went away. All it required was posting so people stopped browsing around the site trying to get the special items. As you say it was just a dress up site, it doesn't have anything else to bring people in. Though that simplicity gives it the opportunity to go in any direction it wants if it were revived.
There was a period of about 4-5 years where I wasn't on Avi sites much at all. :/ So I probably missed this period. But I can see how that might bother some people?

But Inso made a post back in 2010 about how it had been dropping for awhile. He correlates this to "drawing anime" and anime fandom being less popular. But in reality there were other things going on at this time:

- The internet was shifting from different websites spread all over the place to social media sites and apps taking the lions share of traffic.
- Mobile use becoming more frequent to taking up over half of the browsing that takes place these days. Without a mobile version of your website, you're shooting yourself in the foot in 2019.

I work directly with anime and the anime fandom (a bulk of my work is with conventions, planning, and handling the print/web media) and most of our shows have been seeing a steady increase. It's not really going away, but all nerd fandoms are kind of getting cannibalized into one big thing, this has been ongoing since the late 2000's. For example, one show went from maybe 3k attendees to about 25k. Others see a steady but slow increase over time. So I'd wager that anime isn't really the culprit, so much as how people spend time online and what they do.

If you look at social media, you've got notifications to let you know when there's been a reply or when someone posts something, or when something is going on. In the old days of forums, even with updated forum software, you still have to check back to get a clearer picture of everything going on. It takes a lot of bandwidth to send constant email notifications on a large forum. Forums were bigger in the days when you spent a few hours online at most. These days, we are constantly connected everywhere we go. Everything is instant, and I fear this is why forums are falling out of use.

Also, with avatar sites, you are taking a pre-drawn base and dressing it and expressing yourself with that image. You can make yourself out to be a Unicorn Princess or a Dark and mysterious rouge. With social media, you present an image of your true self (sometimes with filters) and show your life the way you want people to view it. We all do it. Even those of us who don't filter ourselves into oblivion. We're more or less doing the same thing, without having to post on a forum with strangers to get to the level to do that. We just download snap a picture and upload. This has evolved.

YET, dress up games like Love Nikki are super-popular. How many memes are out there about creating a perfect character in an MMO? People still love dress up games, people still love being social. But it's different.

I don't know if Mene will be able to evolve and change into something like that at this point, as it would take a lot of time, money and dedication with a lot of risk. That's probably a job better suited to new games. Likewise, Gaia has also been struggling for these same reasons. Most people don't even know Gaia is still around or a thing. (I get asked this often).

IDK. :/

zazabar
(◎_◎;)

Old 07-04-2019, 06:28 PM

Honestly I think Menewsha could get a minor rebound by developing a mobile app that leaves all of the dress up components intact. There is precedence for this, as mobile games such as Love Nikki bring in metric tons of cash for their devs. Add extra ways to farm gold and get outfits and reap the rewards.