Verron
Dead Account Holder
n/a

Old 04-16-2007, 04:37 AM

Yup, I'm a self-admitted lover of romance novels. I like the ones that are JUST romance, but I also like the ones that have a bit of sex in them too. And of course, I have some outright trashy ones.

Oddly enough, my aunts got me started on romance novels. They have huge amounts of them. Huge as in full bookshelves of them, two or three books deep.... They gave all of my romance novels to me, and give a few new ones to me every so often.

I don't have a specific favorite author, but my fav novel is definitely Send Me No Flowers. :3

xDark_Midnightx
⊙ω⊙
Banned
Send a message via MSN to xDark_Midnightx

Old 04-22-2007, 02:39 AM

Do you read romance novels?
Yeah I read romance novels...well sometimes

What attracts you to the romance genre?
Adventure.
My fave. type is when the girl is loud and noisy..and the boy dislikes her then likes her :)

Who is your favorite author?/What is your favorite book?
o.O
That's a hard question...The author of mismatched....*hits head*
Yeah...I forgot who that was.

I got myself started in them XD

Rovannet
Dead Account Holder

Old 11-12-2007, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mei
My second roomate in college was obsessed with romance novels! She especially liked the romance novels about the hunky ranger/cowboy-type guys falling in love with the sofisticated/city lady types.
I thought it was so weird! She would get so excited about her romance novels and tell me that I needed to read some. I read them just to be polite. They were ok, but I never got too into them.

Then a girl that would later become my best friend was just as into romance novels! She sent me an entire box full of romance novels to take home with me one year. XD;; I still have some in my room and am a bit embarrassed by the thought that anyone in my family might see them.

I think they're a little weird, but they are kind of entertaining. I wouldn't let any of my kids read any until they're 18 because they can be HIGHLY graphically sexual. @_@
I agree with your statement about recommended age. In principle, that majority of novels written that are classed as 'Romance' contain exhaustively explicit descriptions of sexual relations. Sometimes, I wonder why books are exempt from the suggested audience ratings that movies and video-games are screened with. But, at the same time, I probably wouldn't have learned as many things about life and people in general as quickly as I did if my parents or librarian had forbidden books to me they thought were over my head.
At the same time, however, the romance books which are not simply fluff or smut are the kind which have the highest appeal to me, and they do exist. I am actually incredibly fond of thought provoking, innovative, and meaningful romantic narratives. They really help me expand my mind and understand the viewpoints of others... If I had to write either a science fiction, mystery, or romance novel, I would definitely pick romance. :D

Eileanora
'heaven is the feeling i get in ...
Send a message via AIM to Eileanora

Old 11-12-2007, 01:28 AM

my mother also introduced me into the world
of romance novels xD i would have to agree with both julie garwood,
and nora roberts being favorites of mine =]

also i love rachel gibson's novels, though
i love historical romances, sometimes i just
have to read a contemporary one, which i go
to her for =]

Mouse1010

Old 11-13-2007, 01:38 AM

When I first started reading romance novels I was in I think ninth grade. The first romance book I read was Paradise. It just got me interested in them and now I just can't get enough of them. My favorite kinds of romance novels are the ones set in between 1700 and 1850. I don't really like most that are set in present day. I mostly like the fact of forbidden romance between classes. :oops:

clock
tick tock

Old 11-13-2007, 08:35 AM

I've tried to read romance novels, but for the most part
I just can't get into them. Maybe it's because a lot
of them are just so unbelievable. I know it's fiction,
but c'mon. In one, this guy "fell in love" with a girl
after a few hours and by a week he wanted to marry her.

That was just too unrealistic for me...

Melissa
*^_^*

Old 11-14-2007, 09:38 AM

I used to read my mom's old Silhouette Desire books. I used to sneak off and read them in a couple of hours and then put them back on her shelf. I dunno when I was a kid I didn't want anybody knowing I read them.

I don't read them anymore but I have about 8 to 10 of them on my book shelf just in case I ever get the urge for light reading.

I really loved them because they were easy to read, had happy endings and well...they were trashy love novels. ;D

Ookamis_Cherry
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-14-2007, 11:05 PM

I love romance novels they are my favorite, but I didn't get into them until last year. Up until then I was into mystery and such. I mean most of books I read are historical romance, and they give me ideas for the stories I write, even though some people may think my stories ar horrible, but still. I write as a hobby it's what I do. But anyway I think I like them so much becasue for some unknow to me reason I wish my life was like that all lovey dovey and what not

Indy Lyon
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-15-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeris
My favorite book would have to be Remembrance by Jude Deveraux though. It has such an interesting plot, and it always sucks me in. I always get so emotional when I read it!

But I guess I just need a dose of seeing people get together and fall in love, and live happily ever after. (even though there are a rare few that don't end happily)

Do you read romance novels?
What attracts you to the romance genre?
Who is your favorite author?/What is your favorite book?

Discuss <3<3<3
i love reading romance but i do tend to hide them as well since i get teased alot by my family if they catch me reading them. I only started reading romance when i was... *remembering* 12 i wanted to read a new book and raided the bookshelves in our guest room, there was a book called Loving Scoundral by Johanna Lindsey at the time i was a big horror/fantasy fan but was very bored and i thought it was going to be more adventure than kissy face, i was wrong the book was great and i haven't looked back since. It is now my most popular genre.

The attraction to me is sort of the fact that if i have a grey day i can escape to a place with a happy ever after, and i can indulage my gooey and more feminine side.

Favourite Author? I'm not sure, Johanna Lindsey being my first romance author is one of my favourites but if i had to pick i'd say... Christine Feehan for the true modern romance, Stephanie Laurens for historical Karen Marie Moning for fantasy fae and Hannnah Howell for the highlanders in a league of their own.

I don't really have a favourite man type, though Hannah Howell is making me lean towards the highlands
:wink:
As for favourite book, i have favourites but no favourite but there is a book that is quite old called East O' the Sun and West O' the Moon that is really sweet, there's little romance the amount being a few kisses and the implication of more but the story is truly a good one. - i think there's a version of this in the Grimm's Fairy Tales depending on which version you read.

DreamEmpress
*^_^*

Old 11-16-2007, 04:54 AM

I read mainly Paranormal or Historical Romances and many that I have read are so good. I love the Dark Hunter series by Sherilyn Kenyon. She is amazing. I also love the Capathian series by Christine Feehan. Other authors I like Gene Showalter, Maggie Shayne, and a few others I have forgotten.

Currently I am reading two books, Devil May Cry and Dance with the Devil both by Sherilyn Kenyon.

Saber Alli
Dead Account Holder

Old 11-19-2007, 04:06 AM

I read romance when I need something easy that will lighten my mood! I read paranormal, sci-fi, contemporary, and even some historical.

My first romance reads were all Johanna Lindsey and the ones that dont have the risque covers I have bought ^_^ My fav and only contemporary author would be Katie MacAlister. Her dialog makes me litterally laugh out loud. For Sci-Fi I like Linnea Sinclair, and then everyone tells me I need to read Christine Feehan but I cant seem to figure out a good starting place :oops:

So based on my little paragraph I would love for yall to give me some recommendations!
Tell me some good historical, sci-fi, contem, and where to start on the Christine Feehan books!

psyrien
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 11-20-2007, 02:38 AM

I'm not particularly fond of romance novels, but I've found that they make fun reads. I probably won't go back and reread them just because they don't seem to be the sort that I would reread like that. ...but I guess I might depending on the book. They're light and easy books. You don't really have to think too much when you read them, which makes them fun. And there's usually nothing too disturbing in them, so you don't read them before you go to sleep and end up staying up an extra hour because it's unnerving.

However, I find that after awhile, the sappiness starts getting to me. And I look at the books and say "wow, these have very similar and predictable plot lines" and I guess it just gets to me. Then I feel like I need to read a more serious book.

...but after the few serious books, I go back to fun things like romance novels. ^^ ...Not so much here though because I don't have any with me. They all belonged to my mother who had forbidden me to read them until I turned sixteen because I had asked to read one of her books with a girl who had pet ferrets when I was ten. I liked reading and had no idea what the story was about and had just done a research project on ferrets. xD I finally read the book when I was sixteen and was like okay. I didn't really pick up romance novels after that.

But then one day, I was out of books to read. And I wanted to read something, so I borrowed some of my mother's books. They're very fast reads. Before I knew it, I went through a huge pile. ^^;

Nightgaunt
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Nightgaunt Send a message via MSN to Nightgaunt

Old 11-20-2007, 10:50 AM

I've never really read Romance books. I always have a good laugh at some of the backs, because some of them really are silly, but the closest I've read was one of Ms Gabaldoon's books, then nothing else. It was an interesting premise, but I felt like I was skipping a lot at the time trying to get past them...er...getting it on.
I had the same problem with the "Clan of the Cave Bear" books, which really almost ought to be over in Romance, because the further the series goes, the more it's about who the female lead is shacked up with and how often.
I'm sure there are some good authors in there, but after shelving them for a year, and hearing excerpts from some of the really -bad- ones, I think I'd struggle to take them seriously.
if I did pick one up, I'd probably snag one of them from the used book store. No insult to people who like them, I've got my own forms of 'popcorn reading', I just don't know that I've got the temperament for a romance novel.

heartpoint
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 11-21-2007, 01:30 AM

I like the books by kresly Cole, i'm going to the bookstore so i get get one of her books in the morning.

Cherry
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-21-2007, 11:01 AM

Yeah, I dont mind them at all. But they need a bit of background too, like the one I just read was focussed on fossils and archeology that the female protagonist was obsessed with, with a bit of a beauty and the beast feel with her falling in love with the scarred landlord 'the beast of blackthorne hall' and he falling in love with her. I think it was called ravished xD
And another I had about pretty much Scottish vs. English, it was very complicated with the main female character pretending to be her father who was the heart of the clan, but he died, and this Englishman comes and takes them all hostage after she tries to poison him, anyway It's very fiesty, both of them have real rivalry attitude, and kinda steamy ><; but it has a happy ending..lol.
I dont like the covers of most though, dark muscley long haired shirtless man posing really corny-like with a young damsel. XD

The romance novels I've read seem to always have-
Disfigured but intruiging 'rough' man, always dark muscly and silent type.
Detmermined young ladies.
Castles/large properties.
Imprisonment/other vunerable situation on the womans part, brought upon by man.
Man kissing woman which leads to sex which she regrets.
Awkwardness after the sex.
Falling in love.
Babies/children/heirs at the end.

=D

±Elite Member±
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-21-2007, 09:31 PM

Hah, thats cool.

kumi
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-27-2007, 11:18 PM

really i cant rember every romance book i read let alone alot of them (im sucj a bookworm) but i love them cause they make me feel happy because its like the perfect world the main character always usually gets gets the guy (or girls)...

Garnet Phoenix
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-28-2007, 07:32 PM

I grew up thinking that I would never be caught reading one of those types of books. Especially since my parents are strict and are Christian. When I turned 18 and went to the flea market with my mom, she OFFERED to buy me a couple of the books... I asked her if she knew what those books were, and she assured that she knew what kind of books they were and that it was ok for me to read them. Afterwards I was hooked on them for two years... Until I gave my virginity to my fiance earlier this year... Now I read those books out of boredom... and that usually takes me weeks to read them when before I read them within 1-4 days (in between chores).

Notsilveraura
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-01-2007, 03:50 AM

I started writing fiction when I was eleven, and I wanted so badly to be like Stephen King, but all I could write was romance. The years have gone by and I've just continued to write romance (granted, it's rather action-packed) and it's gotten to the point where I'm going to try to become a published Romance Author, and I've started reading romance, too. <3 I only read the books that have fights and vampires and lycanthropes and such, though.

DreamEmpress
*^_^*

Old 12-01-2007, 05:37 AM

Well not all romance novels are easy reads or are simple. The Dark Hunter series is pretty complex for being romance novels. Kenyon created a new legacy of vampires and have surrounded herself in mythology and her own mythology. Artemis or Artie is a great character and very flawed. She appears in nearly every book and has a story to tale along with the romance stories amongst her dark hunters.

There is a lot of romance novels that are simple but there is a lot that have a very great underlining story that keeps me interested.

LovelyHeather
Dead Account Holder

Old 12-03-2007, 11:16 PM

I am a major Jude Deveraux fan. I've read practically all of her books with the exception of her newer books in the past two years. She is absolutely amazing. Her writing style, her plot, her characters, etc. Especially her "Velvet" series.

If anyone is interested in adventure and doesn't mind a lot of serious loving, then Jude Deveraux could very possibly be the right thing for you. Go buy her books today!

(I should like an advertising company. XD )

Mousey
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Mousey Send a message via MSN to Mousey

Old 12-04-2007, 01:31 AM

*fawns* I LOVE romance novels! I've read a million over the years, since I began reading them when I was roughly 11 or 12.

I'm not much of a fan of any one author; I'll usually just fish random one out of the section that looks decent, buy it, go home and go to town on it. ^_^

Romance novels have influenced the way I think, to the point that I'm in school for an English Masters ... to teach, yes, but also to eventually write. ;3; It may take up my writing time now but it'll help me get published later on in my career.

Winter Wind
SORRY GUYS. D: I'm SUPERR busy a...
Send a message via AIM to Winter Wind Send a message via MSN to Winter Wind

Old 12-04-2007, 06:10 AM

Oooh, romance novels. x]

I'm one of those people who don't like getting caught with their nose glued to them, so I often read them at home. I know some of the ones I read are unreal, but it's nice to imagine if you were that main character, and all those things would happen to you.

x] They were great inspirations for daydreaming. xDD

Titenya
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-04-2007, 02:58 PM

Nora Roberts defenatly... also jacquline Carey is prety good as well, though hers are a little more on the borderline between fantasy and romance...

Indy Lyon
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-10-2007, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamEmpress
I read mainly Paranormal or Historical Romances and many that I have read are so good. I love the Dark Hunter series by Sherilyn Kenyon. She is amazing. I also love the Capathian series by Christine Feehan. Other authors I like Gene Showalter, Maggie Shayne, and a few others I have forgotten.

Currently I am reading two books, Devil May Cry and Dance with the Devil both by Sherilyn Kenyon.
Maggie Shayne is a bit too werid but the rest are brilliant and Kresley Cole rocks too