Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 03-18-2013, 09:58 PM

Literary is hard to define, but I think we can say it goes back to the purpose of a piece of writing. Something that aims at not just being a story with a moral like a fable (or like I think Twilight tries to be... isn't it supposed to be about abstinence of something?). It's something that attempts to inform our perception of society in someway. Wherein it's making a commentary on that society or on that characteristic in a person or something. It can be a critique. It can be a model. It can be a statement of protest. But it's trying to get people's attention and make them listen. Make them realize something about themselves and about the world they live in.

However, I also take literary as being clever honestly. I have a broader definition of literature and literary value than most people in my field. It's taking your readers, viewers, listeners, whatever through so many twists and turns that they can't follow. It's taking an old story and reinventing it in a new way and in some way commenting on both the original story and the world that you've created with this new story.

Literary is structured writing. Writing that aims to explain. To explore. To question. It's not there just to be enjoyed and be cliche like a romance novel. It's not there to beat a moral into people's heads.

Jeannesha
Lost in a cloud

Penpal

Old 03-18-2013, 10:07 PM

lol...that's asking a lot of the term Literary.
But then, you are an English Lit person, so I guess you'd have a pretty defined notion of what you would allow to be literary.

For the rest of us, if it's in a book in a library, then it's literary.
lol...

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 03-18-2013, 10:09 PM

ooo... I only read Taiwan's romance novel. XD I cannot take western's romance value. So... pairings is one of the things that make me love or hate the story.

I personally like mystery novel a lot. IF only they don't bore me to death.

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 03-18-2013, 10:13 PM

I have a very broad definition of literary Jeanne and I've worked on it in depth because I am willing to allow certain popular culture items to enter my definition of literary, which more traditional english major and professors are not. They'll only except the canon things like Homer and Shakespeare and Chaucer. But I love young adult literature and I think it has a ton of value to our culture and to literature and literary value as a whole. I think Doctor Who is an extremely literary show. Things like that.

haha. I seriously read romance because it is so expected and so cliche but i read paranormal romance which can a little bit different sometimes.
I used to love mystery as a kid but now it's actually one of my least favorite genres.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 03-18-2013, 10:21 PM

well... after reading thousands of Taiwan romance novel, which is a 2 hours read each book generally. I admit there are certain repetitive elements that I can guess, I love the feeling of guessing how the story goes. and still, there are tiny details that slip through my radar. So, I would have to say, no matter how repetitive romance novels are, I am sure there are still some details that readers could not guess it.

I thought Wingwing would going to say Literary are the ones that make me sleep.
I read the second page of Lord of The Rings, and fell asleep.

Jeannesha
Lost in a cloud

Penpal

Old 03-18-2013, 10:24 PM

I've never gotten into mystery novels. I don't know why.

But I agree that Doctor Who seems very well written.
Lots of really good characterizations there too.

(I'm really big on good, well-written characters, if you haven't guessed by now.)

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 03-18-2013, 10:27 PM

Oh yes, no matter how predictable a story something's usually going to slip by. That's very true xurxette.

And it's got a really good overarching theme as well as themes within each episode.
It always goes in for a deeper meaning.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 03-18-2013, 10:45 PM

and when I mean details, it is not like the color of the shirt the character is wearing... it is kinda very important detail. I love those traps. Even adding in a very unique way of proposing is good creativity to me, even though I know it will be proposing, but there are so MANY possibilities of things. We may guess the biiiiig picture, but not the detail in that level.

I like well develop characters too! Sometimes when I see the whatever Grammy Oscar awards... the best actor or actress... it makes me wonder... is it because of their acting skill or because of how good the character design is.

Deep meaning, underlying messages and hints are my favourites too! I love to understand the reason behind all actions.

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 03-18-2013, 10:48 PM

Haha yeah, I know what you mean.

well-developed characters are so much fun. I've written many a paper about character analysis b/c it's quick and easy but so much fun.

I also like to play with world building. Probably mainly because I have a special place in my heart for dystopian fiction

Jeannesha
Lost in a cloud

Penpal

Old 03-18-2013, 10:50 PM

I don't care how good an actor or actress is.
If the writing is bad, then it will be bad.

Good acting can't fix bad writing.
But good writing can sometimes fix bad acting.

Speaking of bad acting...I watched one of the first season's Dr. Who from back in the 60's. It's on Netflix. MAN, that was bad!

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 03-18-2013, 10:57 PM

I would actually argue against that Jeanne. I would see Glee is often terrible writing, but I keep watching because there are several talent, very talented, young actors on that show.

haha. Doctor Who in the early days is very different from current Doctor Who, or so I've heard

Jeannesha
Lost in a cloud

Penpal

Old 03-18-2013, 11:01 PM

Well, but on Glee, aren't they singing and dancing?
I would think performing is transcending the bad writing then.

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 03-18-2013, 11:04 PM

They do, but not all the time and the moments I'm thinking of aren't points where they are singing or dancing

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 03-18-2013, 11:14 PM

When you mean writing... do you actually mean writing as in, the words?
I actually thought character designs are by characteristics/elements, not by how well you write the character in nice paragraphs?

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 03-18-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings of Writing View Post
Derek is a textbook Gryffindor. It's not even funny.

Jarred... Slytherin? I don't know. He's still a mystery to me (in some regard) cuz he's a mystery to Derek (kinda, Derek likes to think he has Jarred figured out)
I was thinking I'd put Jarred in Slytherin.

what are ya'll talking about now?

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 03-19-2013, 12:03 AM

I'm thinking more the structure of plot, characters, character development, equal treatment of characters. It can apply to a lot of things with a tv show including just the actual words used. Xurxette

Um. lots of stuff kat. lots of stuff

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 03-19-2013, 01:18 AM

does this conversation require me to think?

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 03-19-2013, 01:23 AM

um, there may be some thought required. it did get pretty english majory for a bit.

we could always go back to simpler putting OCs into Hogwarts Houses.

Damia Flagg
(^(エ)^)
Penpal

Old 03-19-2013, 01:25 AM

Lately I just mostly read manga.
I don't have a lot of time to read, so I like them because I can get through them fast.

I do enjoy some fantasy, science fiction & mystery books when I have more time to commit to reading.

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 03-19-2013, 01:26 AM

I definitely get that Damia. The majority of my reading these days is either reading for school of fanfiction. I haven't read a book for fun in over a year

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 03-19-2013, 01:28 AM

I need to read Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammett. hard boiled detective novel stuff. It should be an easy read.

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 03-19-2013, 01:28 AM

interesting and a little random

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 03-19-2013, 01:29 AM

He write the Maltese Falcon. This is Modernism.

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 03-19-2013, 01:32 AM

I've heard of The Maltese Falcon at least

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 03-19-2013, 01:36 AM

considering it was a movie. popular I think. I haven't seen it though.