ToriKat
  • Challenge ToriKat in the Arcade

Old 02-18-2010, 10:53 PM

o_o Scanning an entire store...of movies...My goodness...!

Red Cross Robbery
  • Challenge Red Cross Robbery in the Arcade

Old 02-18-2010, 11:02 PM

I'm a big movie buff, so the chance to sneak a peak at the back of cases, or just memorize the actors in the movies, it became something I sort of looked forward too after awhile. I was head CSR (turning down management for stress related issues) I ran a tight store, so Inventories, used to catch our slip ups, were gentle because I wouldn't let the idiots working mess anything up for me. So you just sort of went into coma mode, and started scanning things.

It helped me talking to customers too. I could name drop, and paraphrase the summaries of movies I had never seen before, and make them decide to rent it afterall.

It was fun :D

ToriKat

Old 02-18-2010, 11:09 PM

*laughs* That's a good salesperson tactic. xD It's one thing to say, oh yeah, that was good...but to totally fool them with all that? Awesome.

Infinitys Echo
  • Challenge Infinitys Echo in the Arcade

Old 02-18-2010, 11:19 PM

Tori: Yes, work thirty days of one shift then switch to the next. It was harder for me because it gave your body time to adjust to that sleeping schedule only to have to change. At least with six and two's, you didn't get too used to it and thenn throw your whole body out of wack with the change. Plus, with our job, when on thirty days of mid shift, you didn't work but MAYBE half that, so you were really all over the place with your schedule. I guess I kind of liked the constant change as well, which is extremely odd for me, who normally likes things very organized and set.

Being short handed sucks! That's why we would occasionally switch to the thirty day rotations. They're probably stretched pretty thin with medics though, I imagine, because of our situation in the middle east. I forgot, how much longer do you have there?

Red: I'd love to be able to do that part of the job-the scanning part. While I'm actually very good at working with people, I've gotten too old and don't like it at all.

ToriKat

Old 02-18-2010, 11:25 PM

I extended my tour here. It was kind of funny...everyone doubted that I could stay. But my DEROS was bumped up another year. So after they moved me, they realized I wasn't leaving in April and the old clinic wanted me back. They're constantly calling and asking if I want to come back.

NOPE. :)

I was a little offended that they didn't fight to keep me. They fought to keep my roommate, but it seemed like they were like...okay, fine take THIS medic instead.

We had 2 month rotations. Sort of. I was scheduled to be on for four months before the transfer. In this new clinic, they say it's one month rotations. ^^;; I'm guessing in April I might be switching to nights then...

Infinitys Echo

Old 02-18-2010, 11:28 PM

Just look at it as their loss then. So you'll be there for another year. I hope you like it well enough-you must if you extended. At least, I hope you do. At least you have internet. There wasn't an internet when I was in!

ToriKat

Old 02-18-2010, 11:35 PM

It was funny...my roommate was offended that the NCOIC said to go...but the platoon sergeant fought that decision. Overall I'm just pleased they sent me over. After working yesterday, I know it's a lot better. We're completely limited to the Urgent Care Clinic. Since we mainly see soldiers, we can boot people out if they have a routine issue. The last clinic has people who come in asking for over the counters and prescriptions as if we're just going to dish them out without even screening them. One master sergeant started screaming when we said we had to run a UTI test on her. She said we should just hand her the UTI medication that she didn't bother to get at the PX. *rolls eyes* We don't even have any. And how does she know it's a UTI? Could be something that presents similarly! *shakes head* >_>;

Infinitys Echo

Old 02-18-2010, 11:47 PM

She's a MSG, that's what her problem is. Figures she's damn near God, don't you know :sarcasm: :roll: I'm glad it seems like a better place than the last. That'll make it more fun for you and easier.

ToriKat

Old 02-19-2010, 12:02 AM

I don't get why some female NCOs insist on acting the way they do. We had one medic taking a 1SG's soldier's ID to look up something on the computer for them and she asked a question while she started typing. The 1SG started screaming at her to stand at parade rest when asking her anything. Really? In front of all the other people we're trying to treat, she had to make that show.

It kind of reminds me of a professor I had. It was some kind of...ethical...cultural...sociology something...course. xD Anyways, she said that because she's a black female professor, she has to be extra hard on us to prove herself. Really? You're a professor at the University of Texas at Austin. She had already proven to me that she's intelligent with all her doctorate and research she's done and yada yada. I know society treats minorities as if they have to give them handouts so they can succeed. But I don't want to internalize that to motivate myself and to SHOW others that I deserve everything I worked hard for. I'd rather have an instructor who loves what they do and wants us to take the most out of the material.

*is tired and rambling* 8D

Infinitys Echo

Old 02-19-2010, 12:07 AM

Ramble all you like! That's unreal that she did that. I didn't even know things like that were necessary in that type setting. It would've been nice to have one of your officers around when she pulled that stunt. Maybe show her just what her place was. I mean, I understand respecting rank and all, even in odd situations, but there's a time and place for everything, and certain settings should be treated differently. That was just totally unreal!

ToriKat

Old 02-19-2010, 12:13 AM

We're told that in the clinical setting, it's not. Mainly because you can't be screening and treating a patient and standing at parade rest. We address them by sergeant/ma'am/sir and so on out of courtesy. But that first sergeant was completely out of line. And we have to just take it. Our NCOs were in range, but do they do anything? Nope. Unless there's a way to make themselves look good, they stay in their offices and just peek out their windows at us. >_>

But at the new clinic, I saw one of the NCOs defending his soldiers. One sergeant came up to me and started interrogating me on where two of the female medics were. (I know one of the girls had her nails out of regulation, but it was questionable on the other's hair. I'm glad I just pull mine back. No need to look cute when in uniform. 8D) He basically told her the truth - he had already addressed the soldiers and it was going to be taken care of when the appropriate time came. The other clinic preferred waiting until the issue was over THEN called us into the office to let them know what happened as if it was juicy gossip. >_>

Infinitys Echo

Old 02-19-2010, 12:17 AM

Yeah, not much you can do about it. Even an NCO could have had a problem with that one, that's why I mentioned officer. Higher rank to put her in her place :)! Scaredy cats! It's good that the crew you're with now seems to care about it's people. That'll make it much nicer.

In my old job, we were really laid back. Our jobs just kind of made it that way. Sure, there were some jerks, but usually not about rank and such. Our commander was a major (usually they're captains you know) and he was really cool.

ToriKat

Old 02-19-2010, 12:30 AM

We have some officers who were former NCOs, but they're kind of...I dunno. Ditzy. They don't act like they have any leadership qualities. The other officers are providers, so they're just busy with patients. Only when patients turn on us and they're in the area will they walk over and try to calm them down. Which is nice. I miss the providers at the other clinic. They were really caring people. ^^

From what I'm hearing from my battle buddies, what you're describing is what they're saying. xD

Infinitys Echo

Old 02-19-2010, 12:39 AM

I'd think that NCO's turned officer would tend to be more laid back. They usually have more time in and have "been there, done that" so maybe wouldn't be so power hungry.

ToriKat

Old 02-19-2010, 12:50 AM

Lazy seems like the right description for certain ones. 8D The administrative officers are kind of a pain to deal with. I've been stopped in the middle of patient care for the the number to Anthony's Pizza before. She just held the phone book where we keep all the useful numbers, looking absolutely baffled. Sigh.

Infinitys Echo

Old 02-19-2010, 12:58 AM

Ugh, don't you hate people like that?

Well, we're almost done here so let me say before it closes up, I've had a great time in here talking to you all! Two minute to go. I'll see you in your other thread, Tori!

Tags