AGhost
(-.-)zzZ

Old 02-22-2013, 07:32 PM

The hum of machinery barely cut the awkward silence that filled the room. The tension was thick- you could cut it with a knife. A woman stood behind the desk that took up most of the room. She was small, but waves of intimidation flowed from her.

Captain Evelyn Ghost narrowed her eyes at the sheet of paper that had been handed to her, dropping it carefully down on her desk. These days, only the most official of orders came by paper, and this was no different. She sat then, her dark brown eyes staring down the man who had dared to deliver her such a thing.

Not many people dared to give her orders- at least, anything beyond a polite request or suggestion. Certainly nothing paper-official.

Crossing her arms, the Privateer leaned back in her chair, looking at the messenger. She was very tempted to shoot him, but it was considered bad luck, and that was what had gotten her into this mess in the first place.

"You're dismissed." She said gruffly, watching the young man bolt out of the room. She turned her back on the door, looking out the wide windows to the starry view.

The Cour Valant. Starship, Weapon's class, it served two purposes- to protect cargo, or to acquire it. It was not a transport ship- and yet, that was what the neatly typed orders on the desk now were asking of it.

"Where the hell am I going to put all those damned Marines in the first place?" She asked aloud to herself, clasping her hands behind her back as she stared at her reflection.

A run to Meridas. It was a three month run, and she did not like the idea of her ship, crammed full of disgusting land-lovers, everyone tripping over each other and just getting in the damned way.

She preferred a bare-bones crew, to travel light and fast, under her own control. The hazard of being a Privateer, of course, was that sometimes you would get orders. Biting the inside of her cheek, she rested her hands on her hips, close to her pistol and saber.

Imperious dark brown eyes stared back at her. Often narrowed in thought or suspicion, they had grown a few lines on each side. Her dark brown hair was now streaked here and there with light patches. She wasn't old- only in her mid-thirties- but her life had been rough.

There were times to think of that though, and this was not one of those times. Unfortunately, now she had only one thing in her mind: Where to fit a dozen or so Marines and all their equipment?

Last edited by AGhost; 02-22-2013 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: Spelling.

Wrenji-chan
I belong in a Museum.

Penpal

Old 02-22-2013, 08:48 PM

Barnabas Williams did not wake early for any reason. Especially not for a summons. He had received the telegram the night before, but had chosen to ignore it. He was drunk at the time, something his current state reminded him of. The knock at the door sounded like thunder to his aching head.

"Go away Andrew. I do not wish to entertain anyone this early." A stout man entered the room. He was dressed rather fine in a black manservant outfit and carried a silver tray with him.

"It's already past noon, Sir. You've missed another meeting with the Admiralty. They were going to assign you and your men to a ship today, Sir. Something, I'd wager you'd want an opinion on." Andrew set down the tray; on it was a small sealed envelope. Barnabas grumbled as he reached for the letter and opened it.

My Dear Sir,
You and your men have been assigned to the good ship
Cour Valant. Starship. Currently under the command of Evelyn Ghost, Captain. You are to meet your quarry at the dock at precisely three in the afternoon. Failure to do so may see you striped of rank. Thank you for you cooperation.

A note was written beneath in horrid handwriting: Don't mess this one up, boy. You've been warned.

Barnabas tossed the letter to his bedside table and rose. The clock on the table flashed 2:30. He swore under his breath. He looked down at his attire and found that he was still wearing the suit he had on from the previous night. "Andrew?" He called.

"Already taken care of, Sir." The butler, coming out of a large closet presented him with a clean outfit. The tailored outfit fit him well. The brown pants fell crisply to the tops of his feet, enough to rest on the shiny black boots he would put on later. The cream vest cinched his shirt tight to his chest, enough so to limit his movement; he rolled his shoulders and cracked his neck.

He made his way out of his room and down the hall - making a quick stop to relieve himself in the bathroom and straighten his hair. "Andrew?" He called again.

"You're bag, Sir." Andrew said placing the bag on the floor at his feet. "And here is your jacket." Barnabas slide into the crimson jacket with ease, but left it unbuttoned. Andrew assisted him with his boots, which - even though hidden under his pants - went up to his knees. "Shall we go now, Sir?" Barnabas nodded tiredly, and yawned.

AGhost
(-.-)zzZ

Old 02-22-2013, 09:22 PM

The Cour, like most ships, spoke to her. A deep hum here, a little whistle there- all in the language only spoken by sailors. She resisted the urge to smile as she made her way down to the cargo bay. It wasn't a large space by any definition of the word- and now strung with a dozen or so Portable Sleep Pods (which nicely resembled their ancestor the hammock), it would be a cramped fit.

"That'll do." She said with a smirk. Eve sincerely hoped that the Marines weren't expecting a five star hotel. She sighed softly, touching the bulkhead.

"Don't worry Darling- we'll have those land lovers off in no time, and fill your cargo bay with something shiny. I heard that the New London is itching for some tea- perhaps we'll launch them out of the torpedo tubes and fill you up with some rare Earl Grey."

A polite cough came from behind her and she nodded at one of her shipmen. None of the men were ever too shocked to see their Good Cap'n talking to the ship.

"You'll be wanted in the shuttle bay, Ma'am." The man said respectfully, offering her a salute as she walked by.

Captain Evelyn Ghost never bothered with uniforms. On a ship with at most two dozen men, there didn't seem much of a point. So, she stole bits here and there. Her coat had once belonged to a Marine (she didn't remember his name, but she was fairly certain he remembered hers), but was faded to a threadbare rust color. Her belt was of Drulian make- they specialized in black crocodile skin- that wrapped around her waist twice and held both her saber and her pistols. Her pants were black, clean, and tight so that she didn't have to worry about them getting caught on things. Finished with black knee-high boots, she looked fairly dashing, despite the hodgepodge mix.

Moving to the Shuttle bay in record speed, she leaned against a wall and crossed her arms, waiting for the shuttle to dock. The Chief Engineer needed no cues from her, and began the docking process immediately.

Wrenji-chan
I belong in a Museum.

Penpal

Old 02-22-2013, 11:11 PM

The shuttle to the ship was tortuous. With Barnabas, his thirteen men and Andrew there was little to no open space... and there was still the cargo shuttle behind them. "The bloody precious cargo." Barnabas muttered.

The cargo must be protected at all costs, including that of life and limbs. The cargo must not be tampered with, damaged or lost. If the cargo is lost, the punishment will be death. What a mission to take. Even after his thirty years - 23 of which as a marine - Barnabas' father still had no regard for his own son's life. Then again, he wasn't the head of the company like his brother or a universal musician like his sister. A Debaucher. That's all he was, the black sheep of the family. He decided early on to live up to the expectations of his title and had enjoyed every minute of it.

Every minute, that is, he wasn't on a bloody mission. He loved his duty, but his father chose the worst missions he could find. this one however was just a nuisance; being a guard dog to an unknown cargo. Surely the Captain was capable enough to keep it safe without the risk of his men. Then again... He didn't know much about this Captain. It wasn't one of the usual ones he worked with. The name was new, and female. "Andrew," Barnabas quipped, "What do you know about this Captain Eliza, Eva, what's her name?"

"Oh, Sir, it's Evelyn." Andrew sighed. "From my understanding a very capable Captain, Sir. Her crews are always a bit on the lean side and she mostly runs cargo." Andrew pulled up the small tablet he always had with him. "Yes, that's about as much as I know for sure, Sir. You'll just have to meet her."

"Andrew, I'm to take orders from a Captain I don't know? A lean crew? Will the men have to work her ship as well as do their duty? Is her ship even large enough for my men?"

"I don't know, Sir. We shall see." The shuttle docked roughly against the ship's side. The doors latched and the men were free to explode from the small cabin. Barnabas and Andrew stayed behind the group making sure everyone was off and all their personal effects were taken with them. Once the cabin was completely clear, the exited the shuttle.

They stood next to the hatchway waiting for the cargo to arrive. Barnabas almost didn't notice the woman hidden by the group of men, who were clearly lost. Barnabas hollered above the racket, "AT EASE MEN!" The group silenced. "Now, let's play the 'find the Captain' game."

AGhost
(-.-)zzZ

Old 02-22-2013, 11:33 PM

Tall. They were all so damned tall. She wasn't- barely over five feet, most of the Marines towered over her diminutive form. Of course, most sailors were short these days. Tight spaces and cramped bunks meant that tall people just weren't as comfortable on anything but luxury Starships.

And the Cour, for all her beauty and speed, was not a luxury ship.

Three decks, with one devoted completely to cargo, it was one of the smallest Warships. She was old as well- used in the Galaxy wars nearly fifty years previous. The Cour had been built to survive fierce battles, to run quick and clean.

"The Captain is right here." It was amusing, seeing the Marines act like a bunch of excited school children disembarking the shuttle. Pushing herself off of the wall, she moved over to Barnabas Williams.

His reputation and name preceded him, and knowing that he was to be in charge of this mission made the paper order all the more clear.

"Welcome to my ship, Major Williams" She offered, offering him a strong handshake. "If you'd like, I can show you and your men their bunks and offer you all a crash course on the basics of The Cour Valant." Professional. She tried to keep some of the gruff out of her voice. After all, it wasn't his fault that her ship and services had been commandeered.

"Please follow me. Darcy and James will see to the cargo." Without waiting for his answer, she turned to lead the way to the cargo hold.

Wrenji-chan
I belong in a Museum.

Penpal

Old 02-23-2013, 01:45 AM

The cheek of that women! And she was so damn bloody short! Thought Barnabas as he strode off after her quickly disappearing form. "Stand aside men!" He called. The shuffled the best they could out of his way. He had to push his way past some of the slower ones.

"Sir," Andrew pipped up, "Sir, the men don't know where to go. Are they to follow you?"

"NO!" the Major hollered over his shoulder. Damn short legs, damn fast walking, damn that bloody woman! Barnabas stalked after her. She had all but vanished from the cabin. His only choice was to find the deck. He knew she wasn't going there, but there at least he was out in the open and could breathe.

"Then where are they to go, Sir?" Andrew called, only a few paces behind the Major.

"They can stand where they are until ordered to move, SIR!" Barnabas bellowed. "Damn that woman! I'll wring her neck when I catch up to her!" Andrew's footsteps stopped, then retreated.

The ship itself was more difficult to navigate than the ones he usually traveled on. There were several twists and turns and even more small inlets. The ship itself was small. Barnabas had already hit his head three times on the piping as he rounded corners. He at last found a small set of stars that led upward. He took them two at a time and quickly found himself on the deck.

The stars shone bright above his head, and so did twin suns - Remus and Romulus . They cast their light across the solar system, making this area one of the best for farming due to the elongated growing season... Indeed the growing season never stopped here. It was why there were so many plantations on the planet below. Each planet in this system grew a different type of produce. It was where his family had gained its money. The selling of the planets and products of this system. He could count on one hand the number of planets his family owned... personally. The company own many more besides that, and was also in control of all the trade routes in the system.

Barnabas cast a glance over the side and saw his home planet Beta Dodeca. The planet was mostly water, but dotted with large islands - continents really. Beta Dodeca, being the center of the trading ring, did not grow its own products. While there was a multitude if vegetation, it was not used for produce. It was mostly used to shade the rich and famous from the suns' rays. Beta Dodeca was one of Barnabas' family's planets. He had been born there on accident during a family visit. His mother decided to stay and raise him there. His father had taken his other siblings to their home planet, which had been much more civilized. Of course, the happiness he had shared with his mother and his easy-going life ended abruptly when she passed away and his father had come to call. He was only 7, but his father - rather than deal with him - sent him to a military academy in another solar system. There he'd been groomed. There he'd been trained.

He shock the memories from his mind and focused on what he believed to be the door to the Captain's Cabin. He stalked over to it, but remembered she was probably still below. He leaned against the wall and waited for her to reappear.

AGhost
(-.-)zzZ

Old 02-24-2013, 10:27 PM

Walking forward, she had expected the Marines to follow her, as she had ordered. When there was no chatter or noise behind her, she let out a deep sigh and spun about. It took her no time at all to navigate the ship, and she returned to the Shuttle bay, to find a crowd of men. After a good shout, she was able to tell that the Major had taken off to try and follow her.

Resisting the urge to curse roundly at everyone daring to wear the color red, she stalked through the ship. A deckhand pointed her towards main deck, and she emerged, looking at the bright sky, lit by the man stars- including Remus and Romulus. Her home, of course, was on one of the minor planets in rotation around the twins.

The planet had a proper name, she was sure, but the locals all called it Pata. It's main crop was root vegetables, and she had grown up barefoot in the communal living quarters, spending the first half of her life farming potatoes.

She took the first chance she could to get off planet. Sailing was not an easy life, and she had learned everything the hard way. With a look to her first mate (a dark skinned and heavily tattooed man), she summoned him to her side.

"Where is our guest, Mr. Mitchell?" She asked, crossing her arms. Johnathon Mitchell was a well-educated man, and the best first mate she had ever had the pleasure of serving with.

"He came up here, looked contemplative for a few minutes, and then headed towards your state rooms.

"Lovely. Nothing like having our lovely guest running about the ship touching things. Be ready to sail in twenty, Mr. Mitchell. I want to hit the rays out of here, and I will not spend another night in this system. I trust you can take care of that?"

"Yes, Cap'n. Eager to see the open stars?"

"Eager to get out of this system, and eager to get that man off my ship." She said. Turning on her heel, she way the made her below once again.

The way to her Stateroom and cabin was nearly a straight shot, and she spotted him (and his shiny red coat) long before he likely saw her. Striding by him, Evelyn unlocked the door and swung it open for him.

"After you."

It was a sparse room. A dark red sleep pod was strung between two beams. A scrubbed wooden table stood in the middle of the room, and heavy chairs sat on either side of it. Currently, it was bare, but it spent most of it's time covered with charts- or if she was feeling particularly hospitable, a pot of tea and a couple of cups.

Captain Evelyn Ghost was not feeling hospitable.

Wide windows were the only highlight of the room, and the room was flooded with starlight, showing off a magnificent view of the stars only rivaled by the main deck.

"If you are going to be spending upwards of three months on my ship Major, you are going to have to learn your way around." She could tell by the look on his face that he was in a snit, and she sat down one one side of the table with her back to the windows, motioning to the chair in front of her.

"I believe that this is where you storm in, bluster on and on about how things will by on my ship, and leave disappointed, Major Williams."

Evelyn gave him a smile that would rival a sharks, and waited for him to speak.

Wrenji-chan
I belong in a Museum.

Penpal

Old 02-24-2013, 11:50 PM

"Damn bloody cheek." Barnabas muttered under his breath. He had followed the Captain into her stateroom - if one could call it that, as it was bare and so damn small. Barnabas wondered how she could manage to live in such conditions. Wasn't she the Captain of a starship? Couldn't she afford some luxuries for herself?

"It's certainly not a ship I'm used to." he said towards the Captain "I'll be sure that my men and I are fully acquainted with it by the end of the voyage." He looked her up and down, twice, before walking around the room and back to his spot by the door. "I assure you though, I have no intention to take over the command of your ship. My dealings are with the cargo. Your ship is your business. That being said, my steward informed me that you are lack for a strong crew. I offer the service of my men. You will find them to be able, and willing to follow commands."

He had trained most of the men himself. They were all brothers at arms and had fought many a skirmish together. He owed his life to a few of those men.

Padraig Delaney, the only red haired man in the group, had been fighting with Barnabas since they were both teens. Padraig was his second in command, the men knew they could trust orders from him. Perhaps he could get his old friend to deal with this woman. Paddy did always have a way with women... Though, with Paddy's tale, broad stature and brooding attitude, he probably would not be taken seriously by this Captain.

There was also Lukas Albrecht. The slender blond man, although shy, knew how to impress women with words. The intellectual type - Albrecht was practically part computer. He had been on several recon missions with Barnabas and the two had become close friends. They two easily found themselves in debate with business news - Albrecht was the son of another wealthy "Planeteer" (as the group called themselves).

He wondered which of them the Captain would trust the most. Paddy had come from poor beginnings, so maybe the two could bond over that? Albrecht could probably tell the Captain everything about her own ship, even things she herself didn't know. Barnabas himself could... what? Hope his easy-going charms would get through to her? No, this woman was about as soft and fluffy as a brick.

He studied the woman a bit more intently than he meant to. Her outfit seemed to mock him and everything he stood for. Her coat - clearly having belonged to one in his ranks - was torn and battered. He wondered how she had acquired it... "How did you come by that coat, Captain?" He said, rubbing the faint, brown stubble on his chin - in his rush he had forgotten to shave this morning.

AGhost
(-.-)zzZ

Old 02-25-2013, 12:44 AM

"Lack a strong crew?" Evelyn felt insulted, but was careful. It was much too early in the voyage to start fighting. That was a fact she had to remind herself of as she stood, moving to the door.

"You have been misinformed, Major. I can see why you might think I am understaffed- it is because I only run as many crew as I think I need." She motioned for him to follow her, and then continued down the halls.

"Despite our current mission, The Cour Valant has been used primarily as a Privateer vessel. It's made to intercept enemy star ships and liberate them of their cargo. During skirmishes, she's been a blockade runner, and on occasion protect the Company's freighters. Since her main mission, however, is to Privateer, I carry a light crew. Few hands, bigger shares. The men and women under my command understand they work harder for more money."

Graceful. She had to be graceful. Letting out a breath, she came to an intersection, hung a sharp right, and was instantly in a steep stairwell. Hands on either railing, she slid down the stairs, her feet not touching the metal.

"However, since Marines aren't supposed to be taking cuts off the top, I'm sure their help would be appreciated. If you give me a duty roster, I can make sure to assign them some sort of work.

As for the jacket- well, a friend left it over at my house. He never came to get it, and it's plenty warm." That was the closest he was getting to the truth.

They came to the shuttle bay, and she paused. "If you and your men will follow me this time, I only want to go through their orientation once."

The men, thankfully, had at least been useful enough to get the cargo unloaded from the shuttles, and Eve pressed against the wall to let her sailors by with the last case, leaving the Marines still in the shuttle bay.

Once again she turned to walk- slowly this time, expecting the Major to keep up.

Wrenji-chan
I belong in a Museum.

Penpal

Old 02-28-2013, 06:15 PM

short and quick. Barnabas had almost lost her again. He had to admit, the captain did know her ship. His men, to his pleasant surprise stood at attention in the shuttle bay. The men were in three lines. Three, Five then Five again.

"Welcome back, Sir." Andrew said stepping forward from the group. The steward bowed to Eve with educated grace. "Ma'am. I hope you find the men here to be of use to you." He handed forward a list of names, ranks and skills. Andrew had been working on this list for most of the shuttle ride.

"Officers Albrecht and Delaney, step forward." Barnabas said, addressing his friends. The two men, who had been on the right and left - respectively - of the man front and center. The two also bowed to the captain. Albrecht, in fact, took the Captain's and kissed it.

"A pleasure to meet you Captain Ghost," the blonde said, releasing her hand and straightening. "You have a fine ship. I will be pleased to assist you in manning her on our voyage." Albrecht flashed her a dashing smile, before turning to his captain. "You should have told us the captain of this mission would be so enchanting, I would have worn a finer suit."

"Shut yer yap Lukas." The red haired man said, playfully punching Albrecht in the arm. "Name's Delaney, Mum. Ye got werk to do? Tha Major said ye'd need a hand, ye being female an' all." He shot a wily grin at Barnabas. "Ain't she Major. A wee little female wot don't know how to fly a ship."

"Soldier!" Barnabas barked, swatting Paddy upside the back of the head. "You will not refer to the Captain of this ship as such. As of this moment you are to take orders for both her and I. Treat what she says as my command." A couple of the soldiers grumbled, but otherwise spoke their agreements and nodded. "Now..." Barnabas said, turning to face Evelyn. "I believe you are about to show my men your wonderful ship." He looked over his shoulder, "Watch your heads, lads. This ship is tiny."

AGhost
(-.-)zzZ

Old 02-28-2013, 06:51 PM

Damn the man was slow- especially considering the fact that he had twice the leg she did.

How did these men ever survive in battle if they couldn't move quickly? Step on them?

Back in the shuttle bay, Capt. Ghost was glad to see that the men had some form of military bearing. Standing at attention, she was happy to see that she had enough beds for the lot of them. With some grace, she inclined her head to Andrew, taking the duty roster.

"I'll be happy to assign them to a duty roster immediately, perhaps they might serve some use... somewhere." Her voice was clipped, and her accent educated. It was neither the posh accent of Barnabas, nor her own- which sounded more like Padraig's, and would likely get her laughed out of any formal setting.

As Albrecht stepped forward and took her hand, she assumed it was to shake. When he kissed it instead, a deep frown crossed her lips.

Of course, at least he was pleasant. When Padraig spoke, she was back home, breaking one of the older boy's noses for daring to insult her.

Her dark eyes flashed angrily and narrowed at both the Major, and then his men in turn.

"I see. It seems the Major has had an awful lot to say about me." She growled, before turning her back on the men.

"If you don't keep up with me men, you are going to have an awful hard time on this ship not knowing where the head, racks, and mess are. If you get one lesson through your damned thick skulls, it better be this: I do not repeat myself."

"Master Bullex, Master Sardin, get this cargo below decks and secured! We will be out with the tides!"

"Yes Ma'am!" Both men who had been managing the shuttle bay and watching over the exchange snapped to attention and got to work. They could tell the Captain was in no mood to be trifled with.

Moving forward, she barely slowed her speed for the gaggle of men that followed behind her, turning left and heading down the narrow passage, stopping at a closed door on the left.

"On the left is our mess. Meals are served at eight am, noon, and six pm. If you miss a meal, you will not eat. No food is to leave the mess. You bring your mess kit in, you eat, you leave."

She continued down to the hall, coming to a stop to the next door, this one on the right.

"The head and showers are on the right. They are co-ed, and if there are any problems, you will be disciplined. We are adults gentlemen, and if you cannot act accordingly, you better get the hell out off of my ship." She continued again, down to another steep set of stairs.

Once again she grabbed either handle and slid down them, her feet never touching the stairs. Another turn, another set of steps, and she was faced with a door. She swung it open and stepped in, revealing the strung up sleep pods- one for every man, close together and cramped.

"And this, gentleman, is where you will be sleeping for our duration." She turned for the first time since the beginning of the tour, and crossed her arms.

"Any questions?"

Wrenji-chan
I belong in a Museum.

Penpal

Old 02-28-2013, 09:48 PM

The men had kept up pace with the captain just fine, and each moved to claim their own spot in the racks. Three of the men stayed toward the back of the pack, with one standing nearby. Andrew was fiddling with his tablet, making more and more calculations about the size of the ship and its actually capacity. His brows furrowed with his work, and findings. It was to be a tight squeeze indeed.

Barnabas, Lukas and Padraig took in their surroundings. "Tad bit small, eh Barney?" Paddy said, lapsing into the familiar.

"Oh, I do agree, but beautiful ever the same." Lukas agreed. The three men leaned against the closest wall and shook their heads in unison.

"S'pose she ain't meant fer long journeys." Paddy said, stretching and hitting his hands on the low ceiling. "Damn, bloody shortness though."

"I think it's quite alright." Lukas stated, "It would take time to adjust though."

"Oh, Aye. But kin a fella wait that long?" Paddy motioned to the other two and they took the three walked to the three remaining sleep pods. Together, of course, as the men knew of the friendship between the three officers. The was another nearby set for Andrew. (Andrew himself had ventured back towards the mess hall to speak with the cook.)

Barnabas, after throwing his pack into the sleep pod, turned to face his friends. "Gentlemen... you shouldn't speak about the Captain in such a manner. Aye, she might hear your loud mouths." He flashed a grin towards the Captain, who had remained by the door while the men jostled about.

For all the upbringing his men had, they were still men. Some no more than 21 years of age. Barnabas always had at least young blood among his ranks. It was normally to replace a man he'd just lost - most to marriage, family commitment, or reassignment. Barnabas had yet to loose a man. It was how he had risen in the ranks - that and his father's money and last name.

While he may behave like a rouge during his private life, Barnabas was a rather strict as a commander. His men knew to follow his orders without question. From what he gathered, Ghost would hold the same strictness. If she was the Captain, he thought The Bo'sun must be Satan himself.

The three officers sauntered towards the door, and the Captain. "Well, now Miss Ghost." Paddy said. "No that we're yer slaves, could ye show us the deck and where a man might do an' honest days werk? I'm sure yer crew might be needin' a few stronger, less dainty hands."

Barnabas socked Paddy in the shoulder. "Soldier! I won't have you disrespecting our fine Captain, or else I throw you off the side of this ship myself." Paddy scowled at the Major and replied, "Aw, Barney, I was jest havin' a bit o' fun."

"That's Major Williams to you, Lieutenant Delaney. You are to treat Captain Ghost as if she were myself, and not as one of your tavern wenches. Do I make myself clear?"

"Aye, Sir." Delaney grumbled.

AGhost
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-01-2013, 12:17 AM

Eve grit her teeth as they all spoke. Sunday could not come quick enough- with such a small crew, liberty day was a different affair altogether.

They'd see that tomorrow though. As Padraig spoke, she answered quickly- but tripped over her own accent.

Damn him.

"I'll show ye- you- the top deck. No one should ever miss the launching of a ship. You all will be missing land here shortly enough. But stay out of the way of my crew. They do not need your help just at the moment, and I'll not have ye interrupting their work. Follow me." Damn him, damn him, damn him.

Turning on her heel, she led the way back to the stairwell, and up three flights of stairs without breaking her stride, her boots making no sound as she lightly climbed. Emerging at a door, she threw it open and stormed onto the deck.

It was a bustle of activity. A half dozen men and women worked- most in jeans and rolled up sleeves- all under the careful guide of the First Mate.

Nearly as tall as the Marines (who the Captain left behind as soon as she came on deck)- he was a wide man, cutting an impressive figure. His dark skin shined in the light of the twin stars.

"Captain." He offered a nod and a salute as she joined him. "I expect we'll be sailing soon.

"Mr. Mitchell, you have done a textbook job, as always." She lowered her voice, frowning. "Can you babysit the Marines and make sure that they don't fall off the sides?"

"Going aloft, Ma'am?" He asked, his booming voice not sounding the least bit surprised.

"Always, Mr. Mitchell." She answered. In a blink of an eye she was up in the rigging, climbing with an ease that would impress most sailors. She ignored the ladders, her rough hands grabbing the rigging as she went up, up, and up.

It was nice, up in the quiet and deep in the stars. She had always loved heights- even as a child. When she was twelve she had been taken to work in the orchards.

Until she ran away, of course, to join a pirate crew. But that was another story for another time. She touched the air bubble that surrounded the ship, keeping them well supplied with oxygen and gravity.

Yes- that was a story for a much different time.

Wrenji-chan
I belong in a Museum.

Penpal

Old 03-02-2013, 03:54 AM

"Men," Barnabas addressed the room. "You heard the Captain. We're to set sail soon. While I know several of you have voyaged across the stars, I invite you topside to witness this event." Barnabas made a point to nod to the young blood in the corner. A doctor named Quinton Holmes.

The two men had met at a social gathering at the Academy - the sponsors of this voyage. Barnabas knew his men may need a doctor on this voyage, and at the time he had yet to know the details of the ship's crew. The young man had just finished a degree at the Academy, and was a genius in his field - he was the youngest of his class, by at least a decade. Holmes was grinning eagerly - this was to be his first voyage away from Beta and the Twin-Suns System.

Barnabas turned on his heel and pushed Paddy and Lukas in front of him. "Make a good example. This is my last chance to prove myself boys."

"Yer still tryin' to prove to yer Pap that yer good enough, eh?" Paddy said as the trio walked - following Barnabas' memory - to the deck.

"Barney... Why don't you just leave the system? Settle down somewhere on the other side of the Universe, get a wife and have a few babies? Forget about everything your father has done." Lukas chimed in. While Paddy's wit always managed to cheer Barnabas up, it was Lukas's cool demeanor that made him actually think.

"You know I can't. The company has its fingers in every system in the galaxy... and trans-galactic travel is highly costly. You know I don't live off much. Besides... I can't abandon the service." With that, the two men stopped. They knew exactly why the Major couldn't leave the service. It was not a topic to be talked about, and certainly not on a ship. The walls on a ship talk.

Three heads emerged from below decks to witness the stars. Barnabas was certain a few more would appear, if they had managed to keep up. Andrew, still missing below decks, always chose to not witness take off. It gave him a bit of motion sickness that he'd prefer not suffer.

"Oy, look at that!" Paddy nudged Lukas and Barnabas. The redhead was pointing up into the rigging. Barnabas' eyes followed the direction and landed on the figure of the Captain, far above. She looked like a warrior goddess marching into battle, with her hair and coat billowing around her. A wild child, free spirit... and totally at home.

Lukas sighed heavily and began counting down from five under his breath. No sooner had he said "One," than Paddy was running across the deck. He grabbed a loose rope near the mast and hauled himself up, hand over hand to the netting. He was like a spider in the rigging, moving with ease across the twisted ropes. He had thought about sneaking up on the Captain, but knew with the way the rigging swayed that he'd have no such luck.

He came up right beside her, his breath a little ragged. He pointed to a planet in the distance. "That there's Pata, me 'ome. I've not seen much o' it since I left all them years ago. That one," he pointed in a different direction "is BetaDec. That be where Barney is from. Lukas is from a diff'ernt solar system. We all come from diff'ernt places, missy. But we be the best o' mates. Ye cross one o' us, ye cross us all. That bein' said, I hope we be counin' ye in our tiny group... at least fer this trip. I've come to make me amends fer me earlier words, is wot I'm gettin' at. We got a deal 'ere, Cappy?"

AGhost
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-02-2013, 05:03 AM

As comfortable in the rigging as she was in bed, she settled in her spot there, her booted foot looped easily in one rope, her hip resting another. Her fingers gently touched the rope scar around her neck. It was invisible to the naked eye- well healed over so many years later.

But still there.

She was brought from her thoughts by the rough breathing of one of the Marines. Padraig. The red head. She was a little impressed that he had made it up so quickly, and it showed in her eyes.

Perhaps he'd make a sailor yet. As he spoke she nodded patiently, letting his words sink in. She was angry- angry about the whole damn thing... but most of it was likely misdirected.

"I know Pata well, Paddy. It's me 'ome as'well." She said, looking over the stars and planets. "Fer the ferst twelve years of me life I ne'er knew anything beyond the sowing of the fields and pickin' in the fields." She let her accent roll smoothly off her tongue- it wasn't very different from his own, with it's own lilt of the apple-picekers and potato men.

"Deal, Paddy. Wot's on teh road behin' us is long gone, and it's a foggy road a'ead." Common enough saying on Pata- he'd know it as well.

"Ye're handy in the riggin', mate. Show off too much more and I'll 'ave you up 'ere on a more permanent basis. Do me a kindness though? Don't disrespect me in front of me men. It's hard enough werk keeping them in line without resortin' to the lash, and they're already grumblin' about this trip."

The trip. No taking of enemy cargo, no extra money skimmed off the top. She'd given the men the option not keep with their contract with her. Some had taken the offer- times were rough, and they might be able to make better money elsewhere.

The loyal, or honor-bound, had stayed, and worked quietly in the corners, wishing in vain that they would find some opportunity for further treasure. Only the most loyal knew the true path they were on.

The ship shook once, and then slowly began to ascend, the sails filling around them as they started to glide away from the star system.

Wrenji-chan
I belong in a Museum.

Penpal

Old 03-02-2013, 01:30 PM

"Wot?! A Pata lass?" Padraig let out a whoop and a hearty laugh. One of his large hands patted the captain on the back - he didn't loose his balance. "Anythin' ye say Mum. I'll be." Paddy grinned and looked toward Pata again. He'd never expected to meet anyone from there again.

Down on the deck, Lukas and Barnabas rolled their eyes. The knew very well how charming Paddy could be, when he wanted. They knew of his origins - as a child he'd been a fruit monkey. They knew his life had be rough, but it was what made him who he was. Upon hearing Paddy's very loud noise of excitement, they groaned. Just what had he said to the captain this time?

Barnabas looked from the rigging to the rest of the ship. It was decent enough - certainly the smallest vessel he'd ever been on. But he supposed that made it easy to navigate. "Lukas?" he said off-handed "What do you know about the cargo?"

"About as much as you do, I'd imagine. That at risk of life we have to keep it protected." Lukas rolled his shoulders, "Barn, what made you decide to take this mission. It seems very folly. We have to protect something we don't know about."

"Albrecht, you think I chose this?" Barnabas turned, looking at Lukas with disbelief. "Why would I chose something like this? A trade run, with my men and experience? We'd be better suited to act as the Queen's guard than to run cargo. It's a menial job, but it's the one they gave me. Someone at the Academy recommended us. Whatever the cargo is, it must hold some importance." There were a few interested glances from the sailors around them, and they decided it best to drop the subject.

"What are your opinions on this captain?" Barnabas asked, leaning against a railing.

"Are you sure that's such a good idea? Many of the people around us appear very loyal to their captain." Lukas copied his commander's stance.

"Scared, Albrecht?"

"No. I'm merely thinking about the consequences. Do I want to wake up with a knife to my throat?" Lukas had already made some opinions about the crew, in just the few moments that they'd been on deck. There was something about them that told Lukas to be on guard. Perhaps it was the shifty looks in their eyes, or the way they grinned and chuckled to themselves. "The captain, what little I know of her, appear decent. She's strict, but if Paddy can easily talk to her," he pointed to the rigging, where the pair was still lingering, "She must have a softer side, or at least a reason for being so strict. As much charm as Paddy has, you and I were always better with ladies of self-importance. That captain, she has a strong sense of self-worth. It's admirable."

Barnabas chuckled. "This isn't going to turn into what happened in on the Kirtia, is it? Me having to put both you and Paddy in the brig?"

"That was different. Amentia clearly was in love with me."

"Try telling that to her father, the captain. Better yet, try telling the captain that his daughter is a stowaway... on a voyage that was a year and a half. I saved your lives by putting you in the brig."

"You did indeed. As she was in the cell next to ours."

"Her father was never quite right in the head."The two men laughed and looked back toward the rigging. Paddy, and the captain seemed to be pointing out different things only they could see - being so high up on the ship.

Paddy was having the time of his life. He missed being so high up in the air. He missed being able to see for countless miles. The solar horizon was one of the greatest sights a man could see, in his opinion. He had viewed every ship launch from this exact spot. This was the first time he had a companion though. A Pata lass, no less.

She'd probably been a Monkey, like he had been, with the way she commanded the rigging; the way she too desired to be in the air, and away from the ground. Her hair flew around her wildly, she had a wicked grin on her face and her eyes gleamed at the prospective journey. He smirked to himself. A Pata lass, indeed.

AGhost
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-05-2013, 12:11 AM

Eve laughed- an honest, genuine laugh at his whoop. Despite her best efforts to not smile or be too nice to the Marines... well, he sounded like home.

And she was a Pata lass, deep down underneath somewhere. Once she had danced in her green skirts on harvest day, her hair down as the drums beat and the fires roared...

But that was a long time ago. As the planet shrank behind them, she climbed even higher, turning her body towards the oncoming stars and the beauty of the sky.

It was lovely.

"CAPTAIN!" The voice of Mr. Mitchell boomed out from below, and Eve looked down- knowing that her time in the rigging was likely done for the day.

Reluctantly, she swung down from the rigging with great ease (leaving Paddy to follow as he saw fit), her feet landing on the deck once more with a graceful thud.

"Mr. Mitchell?" She asked, arms crossed. Mr. Mitchell smiled at his superior, inclining his head to the door below decks.

"You're needed in the engine room. I believe Mistress Green is in need of you, at your convenience Ma'am." This proclamation was answered with a raised eyebrow- the question went unasked. "Mistress Green said- and I quote- that my 'gorilla like meat hooks are not to come anywhere near her sexy beast.'"

"Hmm. She's in a good mood. Usually I expect more profanity." Captain Ghost seemed relaxed from her trip aloft- or at least, this was a regular enough occurance that it left her unruffled.

"I believe she also said 'the new assbiscuit was as fucking useful as a handbrake on a canoe.'"

"Lovely." Turning to the Marines that had likely heard every word, she inclined her head to them and turned to the door, heading down to the bowels of the ship.

Once she entered the steam-filled room, she stripped off her coat and hung it on a hook near the door, pulling back her curls into a high bun. She rolled up the sleeves on her white cotton shirt.

It was a well lit room, hot and steamy- and small. The engine roared around them, drowning out everything but shouted word.

A woman- a young blond, with wide and bright blue eyes and soft pale skin came out from underneath one of the quieter engines, jumping immediately to her feet. She was dressed in a pair of loose jeans and a tight tank top in black.

"'Bout damned time, Your Highness." The woman said, which was met by a smirk from

"Just a Captain, Lizzy."

"Och, of course, CAP'N. Isn't someone a bit big for her britches?"

"Shut your yap before I slug you and tell me what your calling me down here for?"

"Your ass-biscuit dropped a wrench down in one of cylinders and yer the only one teeny enough to get to it... Princess."

The banter was light heartened, and as Eve moved close to Amy Green it was easy to see that the two of them were close friends. Eve was smaller than Amy- who towered over the good Captain at 5'6.

Moving to the spot Amy indicated, Eve slid under the engine, getting to work.

Eve had gotten her start on engines as a child. Children- being plentiful and easy to replace- were often used to crawl into dangerous machinery and fix hard to reach spots.

When she had been sold off, she had started working with Amy under the stern hand of Master Fritz- the greatest engineer that had likely ever lived. The two had learned everything they could from their adopted father, and lived in close quarters with him. When Fritz died, Amy had taken his spot as lead engineer.

Eve had taken the Captain's position after the same battle. So, the two women who had been raised as sisters began to carve their own path across the stars.

Until they were caught and nearly hung.

Just managing to reach the wrench, she pulled it out and slid it out from the spot, tossing it out to Eve and checking for any damage.

Wrenji-chan
I belong in a Museum.

Penpal

Old 03-06-2013, 07:05 PM

Paddy stayed up top the rigging for a few moments after the captain left. He reached up and touched the force field around the ship. It rippled around his fingers like water. He chuckled under his breath and looked out toward Pata, shrinking in the distance. He raised his hand to his brow and saluted. It was his normal send off when he left the system. It was meant as a sign of respect, but also as a symbol of disrespect. People didn't salute on Pata. The people of Pata were nothing more than slaves to the Planeteers. It was the hard labor and servitude that gave Paddy his strength. But it was the master's that had taught him to be humble and grateful. He chuckled again and stretched before grabbing a rope and sliding his way down to the deck. His booted feet landed with a weighted thud.

Barnabas and Lukas watched as the captain disappeared below decks, raising an eyebrow at each other. Lukas shrugged and began to follow after her. They were joined shortly by Paddy, fresh from the rigging.

"What did you say to her, to make her run off so quickly?" Lukas said over his shoulder.

"Wot?" Paddy exclaimed, "I din say nothin' bad." He could normally reign in his accent - Lukas had been training him how to - but being around it with Eve had brought it out in full swing.

"Your definition of 'bad' is skewed."

"Lukas, stop giving him a hard time." Barnabas said, avoiding a pipeline. "you know as well as I that it has something to do with her mechanic."

"Aw, Barney I was just making him sweat."

"As we soon will be, I imagine. We're following her to the engine room after all." Barnabas began to undo his coat and his companions followed suit. It was rather warm. Barnabas and Lukas chose to, respectfully, keep there shirts on. Paddy had no such qualms and stripped off both his blue jacket and shirt. His muscled chest was dusted with red hair. They handed their clothing to a marine who trudged past them muttering bloody woman's crazy. how was I suppose to do that? Ship's so damn small. He took the jackets without a second thought and headed towards the sleeping chamber. Paddy held onto his shirt.

"Paddy..." Barnabas groaned pushing the large door open. The trio was hit with a thick cloud of steam and met with angry female voices.

"Er'thin' al'ight down 'ere cap'n?" Paddy said waltzing into the room, looking around. There was another woman in the room - the mechanic, they guessed. She seemed to be the source of the frustration. "Ain't ye a giant!" Paddy laughed towards the mechanic, who - while not near as tall as himself - towered over the captain. He flashed her a wicked grin ad chuckled. Lukas and Barnabas rolled their eyes.

"Might we be of assistance Eve?" Barnabas said, ignoring the familiarity that he used. He was answered by a wrench forcefully hitting his leg. "DAMN BLOODY WOMAN!" He ground out through clenched teeth. "We come here to help, and you assault us!" He hopped back and forth from each foot, not wanting to put the pressure on his leg.

Paddy and Lukas roared with laughter. "This nor'lly 'appen in yer engine room, lassy?" Paddy addressed the mechanic. "Surprised ye ain't more bruised and battahed."

AGhost
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-07-2013, 04:27 PM

Amy looked less than impressed by the appearance of the three Marines, having just managed to banish one. Paddy made her smile though, and she raised an eyebrow at him with a smirk.

"Och, aye. A giantess amongst fairies be me." She said, avoiding the thrown wrench with a quick hop. Of course, Barnabus wasn't nearly as quick, which drew a throaty laugh from the mechanic.

"Normally? No such thing here. Every days a bloody adventure." She shook her head and bent over, retrieving the wrench and slipping it easily into her pocket.

"Of course, some fairies have a bit of a temper." Amy grabbed a pipeline and swung up and over the engine, hanging there and looking down over the engine Eve was working on.

"Have a care where you toss things, hmm? You might break something important."

Eve grumbled from under the engine, sliding back out. She raised an eyebrow at Barnabas's exclamation, and held out her hand out to Amy.

"Hand me the copper tape and the heat gun." Amy sighed, shaking her head and handing over the objects, watching the Captain disappear under the engine once more.

The whir of the heat gun and smell of melted copper filled the air, the sound just barely managing to cover the Pata curses from flowing under the engine.

Amy shook her blond head, retrieving a small tub of aloe from her pocket and handing it over to the Major.

"Consider this a present. I usually save it for the fights, but I just picked up a batch, so've got plenty. It'll keep you from bruising too bad. Besides, I've decided not to keep going for the title. Current champ is a piece of work." There was a sparkle in her eye as she turned and kicked at the boots under the engine.

"Oi! Just because I'm not from Pata doesn't mean I can't understand what you're saying, you dirty potato farmer!"

Last edited by AGhost; 03-07-2013 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: spelling

Wrenji-chan
I belong in a Museum.

Penpal

Old 03-07-2013, 10:26 PM

"Well, thar Queen farie-giant," Paddy bowed towards Amy. "Please ta be makin' yer acquaintance." The redhead flashed her a cocky smile. Indeed, Paddy was much like a rooster as his hair was short on the sides, and longer on the top - an styled into a faux-hawk.

"Watch yourself Paddy," Lukas said, also bowing "You might get a wrench to the face." The men shared a glance. This was not to be like Amentia... or was it? The two men did love a good competition, and knew how to spot on a mile away. They had seen other women on the walk down to the engine room. Perhaps this voyage will be entertaining.

Barnabas, recovering from his injury, hobbled nearer the engine. "Damn Bloody Woman!" he hollered towards Eve. He took the aloe from Amy and walked over to the door. He flung it open and made his way down the hall to the sleeping chamber.

"Oy," Paddy said eyeing Amy with wonder, "Wot do ya mean 'fights'?" His wicked grin showed again... one could imagine where his mind had ventured. He stretched his arms above his head.

Last edited by Wrenji-chan; 03-08-2013 at 12:50 AM..

AGhost
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-08-2013, 12:21 AM

Amy raised an eyebrow, watching both men with a smile. Entertaining indeed... A blond and a redhead.

"Well, it's not all fun and games on the ship. We do get some time off once and awhile. Namely Saturdays- like tomorrow. First there is an inspection, then there's private reflection- if we have a preacher, they preach- but I don't think we've got one at the moment... then there's a large dinner in the Captain's Quarters for the officers and the kitchen mess for the non-officers... then there's fights and dancing and merriment until midnight. We get our alcohol allotment on Sundays as well." Amy smiled at the two men, tilting her head to the side.

"We have a lightweight champion on board men- never seen 'em beat. But the prize money is good." Of course, she was eager as any one of the crew to see the men take on the Captain. A good bit of fresh blood in the fights would definitely keep things interesting.

"Perhaps I'll even dance with one of ye- if you promise not to step on me too much." Amy offered with a wink coyly directed at them both.

Eve pushed out from under the engine, clearly seeing the mischief on Amy's face- and not trusting her adopted sister one bit as to the cause of her mirth. Grimy and with cheeks streaked with oil, Eve looked much more like a lowborn Pata lass than she had even in the rigging. Her shirt was soaked through with steam, and clung to her skin nearly as tight as her pants. The collar of her shirt hanging limp, the dark scar around her neck was visible- almost like a permanent bruise that wrapped completely around, arching up. There was only one way to get a scar like that- hanging. The angle was too specific and the scar too monstrous to be anything else.

Amy reached down and pulled her up with a muscular hand, lifting Eve off her feet. The nimble Captain landed easily enough, and looked around.

"Where's the third Musketeer?" She asked, tilting her head to the side and examining the two officers remaining.

"He cursed and left when you threw a wrench at him." Amy answered, moving over to inspect Eve's work from above.

"Threw a wrench at him, I did no such thing." Eve's brows knit. together, and she tilted her head to the side.

"Well, you threw a wrench, and it hit him, so that's his opinion of the course of events." Amy answered matter of factly, and turned back to her work, the second engine started up and purring like a kitten.

Eve kept her face blank, but inside all she really wanted to do was bunch something. She had hit a planeteer's son- her boss's son. The boss that had threatened her with a slow death in the cage if she set one foot out of line again.

Retrieving her coat, she slipped it on and began to leave. She better apologize, if she wanted any chance of keeping her ship and life intact.

Wrenji-chan
I belong in a Museum.

Penpal

Old 03-08-2013, 04:23 AM

Barnabas grumbled in the sleep chamber - he had slumped onto the floor right next to the door. "Damn bloody woman. Stupid female captain. Better when I sailed with Houlett and he was blind in one eye and missing a leg!" He ripped off his boot and flung it across the room - his sock quickly followed. He was in a foul mood indeed. His men paid him no mind - they knew how he could get, and most had seen how the major dealt with people when he was in a foul mood. The slight burn on his leg was neatly covered by the larger bruise - that was turning a lovey shade of eggplant. "Damn that blasted woman!" he ground out rubbing the ointment on his injury. The next time he saw her, he was making sure she knew just what he thought of her.

Meanwhile in the mess hall, Andrew held a handkerchief to his nose. The smell coming from the mess hall - this ship reminded him how the room had earn such a title - was appalling. The tables were below standards - unfinished wood that had seen far better days. The walls were a pea-soup green and made him wonder how anyone could eat looking at them. The floors were covered in dust... and he was pretty sure that was a rat he just saw scamper into the corner. "Dear God!" he exclaimed in disgust. He made his way towards the kitchen - he followed the smell, and the cloud of smoke. "Excuse me!" he said loudly, "Excuse me! I'm looking for the head cook. Might you be able to direct me in their direction?"

Paddy couldn't stop grinning at the lovely creature before him. Queen of the Faries indeed. "Beggin' yer pardon Missy, but tha soldiers ain't part o' tha crew... so I doubt tha we'd be under 'nspection." He stretched again - there was something about the heat that soothed his muscles. "As fer tha fightin'... ye ain't met me boys. I got a right strong group o' stags. Me mates'll make ye werk fer yer coin... an' any man er woman wot challenges 'em." He was being truthful. He had personally trained a few of the boys on the squad. While Barney and Lukas had trained and drilled them in logic and etiquette, Paddy had taught them how to pull their own weight. Each man was as strong as ten - and also had the brain to match wits with the best of them. He knew that one of them would walk away with the prize - in fact, he'd put money on it. If he was the gambling type that is - he learned that lesson the hard way many missions ago. Never bet on a sure thing.

Lukas followed the captain out of the room. He'd had enough of that sweat-box - even if he'd like to know the mechanic more. He'd certainly see her in another room of the ship at some point during the voyage, he could converse civilly with her then. He took a turn towards the mess hall, rather than follow the captain. He chuckled and shook his head thinking, You're in for a rude awaking, Captain Eve. Unlike himself, Barnabas was not poised enough to hid his emotions. He had seen his friend blow up at the most minor of problems. Normally he acted as a mediator during such times. But he was feeling in a rather rare mood, where he didn't care. Let the major get into whatever mess he wanted. Lukas mostly wanted to see how this would play out during the rest of the journey. It was too late to turn back now.

Last edited by Wrenji-chan; 03-08-2013 at 12:39 PM..

AGhost
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-08-2013, 01:31 PM

Eve hated apologizing. Hated it with a passion, even when she was a small child on the farm, she hated it.

'Too much pride in this one. She'll learn.' One of the foreman had said when she had accidentally broken one of the rusted pair of shears and refused to apologized.

Of course, shortly after he said that he had back handed her, and she got a rare blistering when she got home. Shaking the thoughts from her head, she paused in front of the sleeping quarters door in time to hear him insult her for being a woman.

Hmph. Once again biting back her anger, she slipped into the room, looking down at the Major.

"Major. I wanted to apologize for that wrench hitting you. I hadn't intended to throw it at you." Well, that was honest enough, wasn't it? She was a little sorry he'd gotten hit by the wrench because it'd likely make him a whiny pain in her ass for the next few days while it healed, and she really hadn't meant to throw the wrench at him.

Amy smiled as Lukas left and only Paddy remained. With the secondary engine fixed and running, their wasn't much really for her to do. She sat down on a metal chair that had been bolted to the floor and looked at him.

"No inspections? That'd be a dream. We stand 'em weekly- make sure the ship is in good working order and such. But afterwards is the fun part." She listened to his talk about his boys, raising a pale eyebrow.

"Well, we'll see my man. I've seen our champ best more than her fair share of large men. Quick she is- quick, and with a lot of pent up rage. Mr. Mitchell says that's why she's such a bonny fighter."

The cook looked up from the meat he was boiling at the fancy-dressed man in front of him. Cook was a short man- shorter than the Captain, and incredibly skinny. He wore a stained shirt that might have once been white (but that was many years ago) and black pants- also gray with age and mottled with food stains of dinners past.

"'Ead cook? Are you mad man? I'm the cook, if that's what ye be asking." He wiped his hands off on a grimy towel and offered his right out to shake Andrew's.

"Name's Beard, but everyone just calls me Cook. S'pose it's 'cuz that's what I do. And patch 'em up and such." He gave a toothless grin to Andrew.

"What brings you to my kitchen? You look a right fine gentleman. Were you wanting a bite to et?"

Wrenji-chan
I belong in a Museum.

Penpal

Old 03-09-2013, 04:37 AM

The major slowly turned his head at her voice - his neck cracked in the process. His glare could have killed a kitten. "What. Do. You. Want?" He spat the words in her direction. Barnabas could never handle his emotions well. Today was just one of those days. He had been tense since getting the envelope earlier that day. He had tried to be civil, he honestly had. Smiling when prompted, offering his men to servitude, dealing with that woman's bloody cheek. Then there was the wrench that broke the camel's back.

He let out a laugh that bordered closely to a growl. "Apologize?" He stood, looking odd with one pant-leg rolled up to his knee, sockless and shoeless. He had rolled his sleeves up to not cake the edges in ointment. He looked as intimidating as a bunny rabbit. Though, Eve was short, maybe his height would give him an edge. "I have had it. This day, this mission, and it has barely started!" A few hair had fallen out of the ribbon - that kept them all, normally, tied together at the nape of his neck. He was starting to look wild. "If it wasn't for the damn mon-" he snapped his mouth shut. He wasn't sure if the captain was getting paid - certainly not as much as he was... and it wasn't best to put all your cards on the table.

"Enough, you!" he called to a man in the small crowd behind him. The man jumped to his feet.

"Aye, Sir?" The man was clearly on edge and being cautious.

"Go fetch the others. I'm calling a meeting." With that the man bowed quickly and all but ran from the room. Barnabas returned to glaring at the captain. It put a strain on his neck. "You. Out."

"Well now lass," Paddy said leaning against the wall. "Wot is there to do aboard this here bark?" He was starting to sweat, now that both the engines were running. Nothing normal to him. He was a Mule back on Pata - once he got to old to be a Monkey... at the ripe age of 13. Paddy had worked hard - harder than most, to say the least. Rations were always dealt out by how much one worked - harder for more, longer for more. Paddy had siblings to feed, what with his Pa run off and his Ma nearing her heavenly release. He felt bad about leaving them to join the service a skank 3 years later.

But it paid good money. He'd gotten his Ma into the hands a a kind elderly woman who helped raise his younger siblings.Then he met Barnabas... after that his family wanted for nothing. Paddy owed the man so much. The only one that resisted was Annabeth, the next child in is family - 11 to his 13. She had been too strong willed to be a monkey, and too unruly to help the other women with baby raising. Annabeth had grown into a stubborn woman, all temper - with hair to match. The farm-heads enjoyed her ruthlessness so much they had made her a warden by the time she was 17. That had been their first mistake. Because in her heart, Annabeth was kind. At the first act-out she had to deal with, she couldn't bear to whip the boy - who was no younger than their baby sister. His blue eyes pleading up at her. She snapped the whip over her knee and told the boy to go home to his Ma.

Paddy had read that letter a thousand times over, and a thousand times again. He'd not been back to Pata since the day he'd stepped foot on the ship that took him to the Academy. He'd been close, on the rare occasions he'd stayed with Barnabas during schooling. But as men, they rarely ventured into this part of the galaxy. Barnabas tended to avoid his father at all costs. The only reason they had been on BDD for the past week was because Williams Senior was out of the neighborhood. The had fully enjoyed that week too.

Paddy took his mind from his thoughts to examine the woman in front of him. Short, blonde and a whole lot of attitude. His kind of challenge. He knew that Lukas wouldn't be chasing her, she was too wild, too untamed by his society rules. "Ahy-me." He drawled, "Wot say you an' I go topside an' 'ave a bit o' fun in tha riggin'?" He grinned with bad intentions.

Andrew was appalled. "You, sir are one of the foulest beings I have ever encountered." he said matter-of-factly. "And I've been to over 180 planets in the nearest 20 systems. Something must be done to rectify this." He swiped one of his pure white gloves across what was passing as a counter. He grimaced at the color his glove had turned. This gloves would have to be thrown out... or set on fire. "Oh, this simply will not do." He managed to grabbed the attention of one of the crewmen in the mess. "Yes, could you go fetch maybe, five, or six more men, a bucket for each and a something to scrub with." The crewman looked confused but wandered off to do his task. "Now," Andrew said moving toward the food-stock. "Something must be done to this... well, vomit, you are trying to pass as food."

Lukas made his way into the mess hall. There were men he didn't know on their hands and knees scrubbing the floor muttering curses. Ah, so Andrew had found the place. He followed the quiet sound of music into the kitchen. Andrew was in front of a rather large cauldron, humming happily to the radio. Every now and then he would disappear into a cupboard, but would soon return to the cauldron. There was no one else in the room.

"Andrew," Lukas questioned. "You didn't sign on to be this crew cook. Where is the real cook?"

"In the Brig," Andrew said not looking up from his stew "where he belongs."

"And why, might I ask, does he belong there?" Lukas pinched the bridge of his nose.

"For crimes against hygiene. Ah, there! It's done." Andrew lifted a small spoon, dipped it into the cauldron and held it out for Lukas. "Care to try some, Master Lukas?"

"Andrew... you can't get rid of every cook we go on a mission with." Lukas said, taking the spoon and putting it into his mouth. Of course the stew tasted wonderful, everything Andrew made did. He wasn't a 5-star chef for nothing.

"Do you think the captain will approve?" Andrew said, slightly smug. Even for an older gentleman, he still managed to be sassy - it was one of the reasons he had never had a wife. He had better things to do with his time.

"If she doesn't, I fear the crew may mutiny."

AGhost
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-10-2013, 02:29 AM

He screeched at her! She had gone down to apologize- had apologized, and he just screamed at her as if she had beaten him with the wrench on purpose.

Eve's dark eyes flashed red, and she clenched her jaw. He wasn't intimidating, his hair poofing out about his head and with only one shoe on, but she was. The color rose in her cheeks, and her fist closed at her side, itching to plow into his jaw.

"You migh' be the boss of ye' men, but ye'll not be order'ng me around on me own ship." She growled, taking a step forward threateningly. Angry now to a point beyond control, her accent sounded even thicker than Paddy's, tinged with the years of being under Master Fritz and Amy.

"Now, ye got hurt in the engine rooms. It happens, and I'm sorry fer it. But I didna invite ye there, ye followed me like ye've been following me aroun' all day- excepting when I actively told ye' to follow me. I threw the wrench on accident, not knowing ye were there, and I apologized." An apology he clearly didn't deserve.

"This is a ship, Major, not a damned tea party. It's dangerous, and dirty, and I'll not have ye throwing a hissy fit at me every time you get a bit knocked around or get a little dirty." Her voice was low, and calm, but she was serious and just barely managing to keep her temper under control.

A young boy- not much older than ten- appeared near her elbow.

"Cap'n? Mr. Mitchell said I was to fetch ye- one of the Marines has thrown Cook into the brig." The young boy- named Liam- looked at the Major with wide blue eyes framed with dark lashes, in awe of the brilliant colored uniform.

"This. Is. My. God. Damned. Ship." Each word came out clipped as she turned and stormed from the room, slamming the door behind her with such a force as to vibrate the room for a moment. Eyes blaring, she stormed down towards and into the kitchens, looking like the devil himself, eyes nearly glowing red from anger, her entire posture screaming that she needed to hit someone, and badly.

Her men were smart enough to give the Captain a wide berth, despite the small hallways. She stormed into the mess, ignoring the scene around her as she made her way into the kitchens, her focus now on Andrew.

"The only reason your Major is not floating around in GODDAMED SPACE is because I owe you a life debt. You have approximately TEN GODDAMNED SECONDS to explain WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE before I SHOOT HIM OUT OF A GODDAMNED TORPEDO TUBE AND HANG A HAPPY FUCKING WOMAN!"

---------------------------------------------------------------

Amy smiled at Paddy, raising an eyebrow as she watched him. He was nice to look at, and if they played their cards right, this trip could be a lot of fun. A lot.

But, it was a little too soon to be giving up yet. She stood and walked over to him, pressing against him, leaning close and whispering softly in his ear...

"I'm afraid of heights." With a smirk and wink she backed away, opening her mouth to say something.

There was a buzz noise from the intercom, and she nearly jumped at the sound of it, staring at it with some confusion.

"The kitchens..." She said, tilting her head to the side as the room filled with the sound.

"The only reason your Major is not floating around in GODDAMED SPACE is because I owe you a life debt. You have approximately TEN GODDAMNED SECONDS to explain WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE before I SHOOT HIM OUT OF A GODDAMNED TORPEDO TUBE AND HANG A HAPPY FUCKING WOMAN!"

Amy laughed a little and shook her head. "Seems their meeting went well." She looked to Paddy with a shrug of her shoulders and a devil-may-care grin as both a Marine and little Liam burst into the room, breathless.