Akiou
⊙ω⊙

Old 01-16-2008, 08:24 AM

I've been RPing through AIM for about 1-2 years now, and I would love to get into forum RPing, but whenever I look at any roleplay, I just feel like I wouldn't be able to do it.

For one thing,I am used to much shorter turns, since you keep things moving in IM roleplays. I don't really understand how to make things really long, because isn't the point interacting? If the post is three paragraphs long... don't you feel at a loss trying to pull out that much for just one side of the action? Is it just a complete introspection? Things like typing out "His dark blue eyes squinted against the harsh sunlight, and he quickly moved his hand over his azure eyes to shield them from the brightly shining sun." just seems... really overly wordy and seems to be done just to make it longer.

So yeah, that's my dilemma. Whenever I look at a potentially interesting plot, my eyes just start to glaze over when I read an entire paragraph explaining that someone got up off their bed and stretched. I'm sorry if that seems rude, I don't mean to be. I'm just wondering, is there middle ground? Is it either you are considered a bad roleplayer, or you put tons of words into everything?

wasashu
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-16-2008, 09:12 AM

hmmm, i havent roleplayed before, but i think with your situation, you would have to find an rp with the same style you're used to.

I guess on mene, they make it lengthy because they have to fit their info into their post because there isnt double posting on the threads.

but i agree with your distress on super lengthy rping. if i were to say something like you said, i would make it kinda intersting, but a lil straight to the point. like, "As his deep blue eyes met with the intense sunlight, he quickly sheilded them with his hand." or sumthing like that.

I guess it all comes down to the different styles you write in. some like it poetic and some like to be more casual. But then again, i havent rp before, so i dont if meh words are of any use ^^;; jus thought i could let you know what i thought.

Nightgaunt
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Nightgaunt Send a message via MSN to Nightgaunt

Old 01-16-2008, 09:47 AM

I first learned to RP in a combination of playing tabletop and playing on a MUD (multi user dimention) Which is ironically also where I really started developing any typing skills.
I think the patience and interest in longer rp kinda comes along when you realize you have the leizure to type out something a little more complex without loosing everything.
But there are still people who type short, comparatively detailed posts. I mean there's also the far extreme, where people pull a Melville and go into a chapter about the color of their hair, but an quick paragraph really isn't that bad. It's just something you fall into.

Akiou
⊙ω⊙

Old 01-17-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasashu
hmmm, i havent roleplayed before, but i think with your situation, you would have to find an rp with the same style you're used to.

I guess on mene, they make it lengthy because they have to fit their info into their post because there isnt double posting on the threads.

but i agree with your distress on super lengthy rping. if i were to say something like you said, i would make it kinda intersting, but a lil straight to the point. like, "As his deep blue eyes met with the intense sunlight, he quickly sheilded them with his hand." or sumthing like that.

I guess it all comes down to the different styles you write in. some like it poetic and some like to be more casual. But then again, i havent rp before, so i dont if meh words are of any use ^^;; jus thought i could let you know what i thought.

I think your example is a lot better! It seems something that would actually work in an RP. :o

Nightgaunt, I see what you mean. I guess I just have to try and if people get annoyed with somewhat shorter length... too bad for them? XD;

TheSatah
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to TheSatah Send a message via MSN to TheSatah

Old 01-17-2008, 03:27 PM

I feel pretty much the same way P: I've been roleplaying for a really long time, but they were mostly fast-paced sort of dealies, with shorter posts. I learned to put as much information into as little space as usual.

Then, as my interests expanded, I found that to be a "literate" or "advanced" roleplayer, you had to do the reverse-- expand a potential paragraph of information into an epically lengthed novel-esque post, full of flowery adjectives and deep introspection. It was a very "like. wot?" moment.

So, yes-- I certainly know where you're coming from. Except for a few exceptions, I think that long posts are... a bit redundant. I think you should deliver the neccessary movements, thoughts, plot, etc., and then be done. x_x As long as you give enough information for the other people to work with. It's not like I condone... one-line posts or anything. You know?

Akiou
⊙ω⊙

Old 01-19-2008, 09:11 AM

That's exactly what I think. I don't like one liners, but I don't feel it necessary to put in the flowery adjectives like you say. Just describe things so that they can picture what is going on, and it's enough. I often get confused with the point if there is long descriptions.

Maybe we can RP together LMAO.

TheSatah
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to TheSatah Send a message via MSN to TheSatah

Old 01-20-2008, 12:37 AM

Haha, maybe that's a good idea! :B

True Jelly Oh!
Dead Account Holder

Old 02-18-2008, 06:05 AM

I have yet to join a role play here but I do role play plenty on Gaia(where it doesn't matter how long your posts are) and I think(at least, from my experiences) that long paragraphs tend to help give your character more depth. Like, going on for paragraphs shows how your character is feeling or shows certain personality traits.

For example:
"He stood and glared at her..."
Compared to:
"He stood up as straight and tall as he possibly could, though it was not very tall at all. His eyes full of contempt for everything she'd done, he glared straight into her eyes..."
Through a fuller description you can show a lot more emotion and characteristics. Also, using different words can be stronger in showing character emotion(i.e. "contempt" as opposed to "anger").

But, like, you can do it however you like :mrgreen: