Death_to_the_reaper
I'm alive. Message me if you rem...

Old 11-17-2009, 10:53 AM

I couldn't get into the Harry Potter series.
I loved the Twilight series.

Adesia Verdeau

Old 11-18-2009, 02:23 AM

I'm not a vampire person so I'm gonna have to say Harry Potter.

sunoko13

Old 11-18-2009, 02:31 AM

I think that both series, are interesting and imaginative. Both are well writen, and oddly enough I'm a Ron fan and a Jacob fan.

Wind Dancer

Old 11-18-2009, 02:57 AM

I would have to place Harry Potter way above Twilight. Rowling's writing was much better and actually invoked real emotion out of me several times. I actually cared about these characters.

The main emotion Meyer's got out of me was irritation. I, too, liked many of the secondary characters much better than the main cast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYaoiButterfly View Post
My first complaint about the series is something about the first book. The vampire who starts stalking Bella after he saw her when he and his two cronies ran into the Cullens while they were playing baseball...I may not be a vampire expert. But I doubt any vampire gets THAT OCD about getting one person's blood. If she got away, he could easily find another person he could feed on instead with ease. Maybe he might give a little bit of a chase at first, but if the Cullens were that insistant on protecting her, after a while the guy would move on. It's not realistic at all.
I don't know about that. I have known some pretty crazy people who only want something if there is a challenge and major risk involved. I don't see any reason why a vampire can't be as un-hinged as any real person. Plus, I would have to say that living for a century or two may make day-to-day life pretty dull (especially if you never sleep). That may seem like the perfect way to add some spice.

danielley990
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-20-2009, 03:27 AM

First let me say I like both, But I must say that the writing in Harry Potter is way better! Also I have NEVER been more irritated at a character in a book like I do at Bella...Well needless to say I have read both and am in Dumboldores Army!

Re:no

Old 11-20-2009, 05:33 AM

I enjoyed reading both of these series and am not sure I could pick a favorite. They both have some flaws that are a little hard to overlook but at the same time have things about them that captivate the attention. I do think its funny that I have exact opposite and exact same qualms with these books though.

With the HP series you know that theres going to be some final conflict between him and Voldemort and that good is going to defeat evil. In the Twilight series the same thing keeps happening; nothing. You keep thinking that the current plot is going to lead to a major conflict and then it waffles and peters out, it even ends like that. And both of them have main characters that keep having you slap your forhead at their terrible perception and decision making.

Moxie
Irritated Scientist
Send a message via ICQ to Moxie Send a message via AIM to Moxie Send a message via Yahoo to Moxie

Old 11-20-2009, 04:16 PM

Harry Potter is the superior product. It follows the heroes journey, has better re-read and can be enjoyed by people who aren't 13 year old girls. Potter is better written and doesn't have the glaring grammatical errors and poor editing of the Twilight series. As a story, Potter is more mature and realistic- the struggle between good and evil shows itself internally as well as externally.

Also, there is more character development and realistic growing up/coming to age themes. Yes, Harry has his moments of whiny angst filled tripe, but he is 15 and his god father just died- I give him some slack int hat department. It has drama, but not melodrama. Each detail is important and has a part to play in the story.

Also, the names don't make me want to stab someone in the eye. Renesmee? Really?

~Squiggle~
\ (•◡•) /
Banned

Old 11-20-2009, 10:36 PM

I hate Twilight, I really do despise it, to me Stephanie Meyer has ruined vampires, they should not, under any circumstances sparkle.
Harry Potter wins, hands down :yes:

lightkanna
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 11-26-2009, 04:47 AM

Even this is wrong. Why must you compare them and versus them together? They are not even similar. Sure they were big hits and they were made into movies but so were other books. Er, I think it's just an insult towards Harry Potter fans that you're comparing them into a versus battle. I think Harry Potter the movie is better but Twilight is alright. So I went to watch New Moon and everything about that is just hilarious. I had a big laugh with my friend Hailey. I just think it's just funny how they did the whole show. I mean, seriously. Even when I watch Harry Potter I don't think anything sexual would pop out of that show. >>; Now Twilight had a lot of breathing in the movie, which bothered me. Now I read all of Twilights book and it was target towards teenagers and it was way over with now. :D So I rather choose neither. Since I have never read Harry Potter but I have to Twilight.

Raeillieagh
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-26-2009, 04:52 PM

I don't remember if I put my two cents in on this, but I will again if I did.

I really can't stand Bella, or Edward in any part of that series. Bella is too mono-emotional, and when she isn't she's way to whiny. And Edward is too much of a stalker, possessive, obsessive abusive boyfriend. That's definitely not something that should be in a book if she ends up with him in my opinion.

I'm also a wolf person by nature, so I love Jacob, book and movie. ^.^

But I love the HP series far more than I could ever like Twilight, mostly because there is way less of the whiny, I hate how you can't make up your mind, you need a tampon bull in it. Plus, I'm just a fan of the magick, and the characters. xD

Duttel
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-27-2009, 08:02 PM

OF COURSE harry potter , you can say that I am a harry potter addict . I watched every single part , my favorite was Harry potter and the chamber of secrets!

Pixelated wishes
The used

Old 11-28-2009, 07:26 PM

I have only read harry potter, and the first book of Twilight. I love harry potter because i mean seriously, who would love a world where i can wave a wand, chant a spell and have a hopping frog? or a floating feather? XD Im really into that series, whereas twilight just doesnt do it for me. I barely got through the first book,It just makes me think of a romance story, which im not dissing on, i'm just saying it doesn't do it for me.

sasuhina1985
Send a message via Yahoo to sasuhina1985

Old 12-03-2009, 04:00 AM

I have to go with Twilight becuase that book i couldn't put down. I just wanted to read and read and read not caring what time it was. So i would pick Twilight over stupid Harry Pothead..... yea thats right i went there. I hate Harry Potter, i try reading but i fell asleep at the first page. I am sorry but it is sooooooooo boring:sleep: even the movies were a snoozeville. So yeah i pick Twilight any day.

Violet Reverie
(-.-)zzZ

Old 12-03-2009, 05:08 AM

Hands down, I haven't read Twilight or seen the movies but the premise is just beyond me. Vegetarian vampires? c'mon!

[Kags]
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-04-2009, 04:19 AM

Harry Potter. These books came first, and I always loved the plot. Twilight, though... I got half way into the first book and couldnt stand it anymore.

Mizayo
The Embodiment of Geekiness

Old 12-05-2009, 04:19 PM

Definitely Harry Potter. I have my own reasons for not liking Twilight :) .

Monsoon

Old 12-05-2009, 07:30 PM

I find Harry Potter better, mainly because it is a very different plot and idea to any other books. Twilight, in my eye has been overreacted on with publicity. Harry Potter is just enchanting, especially the first few books.

portraitinblack
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-09-2009, 12:03 AM

...firstly, I'm blown away by the fact that people actually chose Twilight without even thinking. Like it was the obvious choice. I understand it's all a matter of preference, and maybe certain elements of Harry Potter don't appeal to anyone, but... WOW.

Firstly, let me say that I am a Twilight fan. I liked it before all the hype, and I've liked it despite recognizing it's oh-so-many-flaws. It's an entertaining read, it's an easy read, and it does keep a person intrigued. But, seriously? Stephenie Meyer should stick to The Host, which was much, MUCH better.

Twilight had a very cliched storyline which was fine until she just randomly threw in a bunch of bull crap in the last book; not to say the last book was BAD, but my god, she basically built up all this hype and anticipation just to have everyone shake hands and say, "Jolly good then, guess we'll be on our merry ways!"

It was a complete happy ending. There seemed to be absolutely not "tragedy" anywhere, and I like happy endings in general, but a real author pulls all the tricks out of their little hat and throws it into their story to create something truly amazing. To me, Stephenie Meyer was someone who had a serious love affair with her characters and couldn't bear to hurt any of them, so they all had their own lame happy ending. I still enjoyed it, and I still like the series, but honestly, it was like it reached the climax of the story and died. That sucked.

Now we have Harry Potter. The story and it's characters age throughout the book realistically, and for many of us, aged as we grew up with it. It starts off fun and lighthearted but the further into the series, the more questions and dark truths are revealed. There are constant little plot twists, it has a little element of just about everything you could ever want, and the entire series was just... EPIC. It wasn't just a romance novel or a fantasy novel or anything like that: it was epic as a BOOK, against all other genres. Was it the best? Not necessarily, it would be bad to say that without having read some of the great series out there apart from it. But in a contest against Twilight, as a huge fan of both, I'm sorry: there IS no contest. Harry Potter will always win. I can't believe some people ever doubted it and the only thing I can think of is they either don't like Harry Potter, never finished reading Harry Potter, or prefer romance to everything else. Because if you're comparing anything more than romance... Harry Potter was just done better. It's characters were real, they weren't invincible, they got hurt and killed AND THEY WERE FREAKING BELIEVABLE!

By the way, to whoever said that Jasper and Alice were the most interesting characters in the Twilight saga: I SO AGREE! I wanted to write a fanfiction about Alice, even researched the 1920's since that's when she was supposed to be put in the institution (I believe), but I never did complete it. Too much other work D:

And nothing against those who picked Twilight over Harry Potter, we all like what we like, but if you chose Twilight because you haven't really given Harry Potter a chance, try it: it might have some parts that bore you personally, but it's got so many sub-plots going on it's impossible to not fall in love with it. (I think, anyway.)

Librus
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-09-2009, 05:41 AM

Psh. Harry Potter of course!

Twilight is...well, I wont go on my whole rant about it, but I WILL say the 2 biggest problems I have with it are these:
1) Bella's willingness to accept Edward's controlling personality
2) Bella's dependency on having a relationship

I wouldn't care so much if it weren't for the fact that those books are the bible for millions of American pre-teen and early teenage girls and they will likely base their real life relationships off of what they look up to--in this case, the Twilight series.
</rant>

Pixiepunkz
Dead Account Holder

Old 12-10-2009, 11:34 PM

Twilight is wayy better.......
GO TEAM JACOB! <3

JulieZombie
(-.-)zzZ

Old 12-11-2009, 06:33 AM

I think that Harry Potter is far better than Twilight, Harry is a far better written character than Bella or Edward. The way that Bella is written she's half a character, she's written that way so it's easier to put yourself in her shoe's and see Edward as some perfect stupid.

Vaneria
\ (•◡•) /
Banned

Old 12-11-2009, 04:10 PM

harry potter I think is better I'm not a fangirl at all. And I do like both but I still think wizards are cooler than vampires (excuse that comment)

Synthetika
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-12-2009, 05:23 AM

Harry potter wins by far I read that series back in middle school... which was a long time ago i cant believe its been out that long O_o oh gee i was young when they released the first one xD haha well i liked the story but my taste in reading has changed alot and im not as excited about the newest books in the series i dont know if i will even buy them >.< and i'm going to wait for the newest movie to come out on dvd

but...

i will not touch the twilight book with a 10 foot pole, no offense twilight fans <3 i watched the movie and didnt like it at all... it just isnt my cup of tea.... the reason i wont read the book now is because my friend read it and said it was pretty much the same as the movie... i dont know its targeted at a younger audience i suppose >.> sorry if your older and like it, i judge not!

World Of Elegance
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-12-2009, 07:03 AM

Between those two, Harry Potter. There are certain aspects of each that are interesting and others that are annoying/irritating/kind of put you off a bit. The thing that made me really roll my eyes about Twilight was the ending. Can you say cliche'd Bella? Why do the women who fall in love with vampires want to be changed into one when the vampire is telling them they don't want that?

portraitinblack
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-14-2009, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetika View Post
Harry potter wins by far I read that series back in middle school... which was a long time ago i cant believe its been out that long O_o oh gee i was young when they released the first one xD haha well i liked the story but my taste in reading has changed alot and im not as excited about the newest books in the series i dont know if i will even buy them >.< and i'm going to wait for the newest movie to come out on dvd

but...

i will not touch the twilight book with a 10 foot pole, no offense twilight fans <3 i watched the movie and didnt like it at all... it just isnt my cup of tea.... the reason i wont read the book now is because my friend read it and said it was pretty much the same as the movie... i dont know its targeted at a younger audience i suppose >.> sorry if your older and like it, i judge not!
The movie was actually a lot different in regards to scenes and whatnot. I think it made their relationship seem far more shallow than it was; and it was already shallow. The book was more mellow and less annoying, buuut if the movie REALLY annoyed you, the book would still probably just annoy you.

The first Harry Potter book I read in like, third grade. I grew up with it and Twilight's just not a book you can grow up with xP It has a target audience and that's it.