Inspiration
ICKy Charity Owner

Old 06-04-2016, 12:30 PM

That one you can just take the d20 roll since 18 is the max you can get with the 6 siders anyways :D nice roll! i mean... other than those 3 1s. xD

so 12, 18, next stat roll ^-^

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-04-2016, 03:16 PM

The 20-sided dice lands on 3
The 6-sided dice lands on 5
The 6-sided dice lands on 4
The 6-sided dice lands on 6
The 6-sided dice lands on 3

So many 1s though. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be the death of myself.

Inspiration
ICKy Charity Owner

Old 06-04-2016, 11:44 PM

oh MAN look at those beautiful rolls ! and that 20!! Very nice!!!!!

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-05-2016, 01:48 AM

The 20-sided dice lands on 6

Wow... so next roll. a 20 is a pretty nice roll... definitely dex or str. Need to make sure I have high str for the bow power but high dex for damage I think it was... or was it accuracy.

Inspiration
ICKy Charity Owner

Old 06-05-2016, 01:51 AM

With bows i believe its just dex needed, but i can double check that. and nice 14 to add to your rolls. This isn't a terrible stat set at all.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-05-2016, 01:56 AM

Well the reroll on 1s is a save on that really

With bows usually only dex is needed but for a Bow +1/2/3/etc strength is required to pull it back I believe. This makes the bow hit harder I think. Unless that was a pathfinder rule.

The 20-sided dice lands on 15
The 6-sided dice lands on 1
The 6-sided dice lands on 3

Inspiration
ICKy Charity Owner

Old 06-05-2016, 02:01 AM

Roll of 13 also not bad.

i'm really going to need to turn alight on and look this up. My brain is saying that bows are dex only, and that sling and crossbow are strength. but I could very well be going crazy. xD

---------- Post added 06-04-2016 at 10:02 PM ----------

By the way. first page first post is a link to where you can post character sheets. I did make that thread as well. but we can do some of the rolling in here just to make things cleaner or whatever. xD

this is me figuring stuff out anyways...

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-05-2016, 02:03 AM

Well basic stats yes. But what stat is involved when you get a masterwork longbow +5 or something?

The 20-sided dice lands on 9
The 6-sided dice lands on 2
The 6-sided dice lands on 2

I think this is the last one, not sure.

Inspiration
ICKy Charity Owner

Old 06-05-2016, 02:09 AM

I've been putting your stats up on the front page next to your name as you roll them

reroll the 1 1 please. though right now i think its 15 or 15. xD so roll better than a 4 :3

Well.. i'm pretty positive that it just stays as a bow normally would. masterwork wouldn't change its dex abilities.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-05-2016, 03:04 PM

The 6-sided dice lands on 6

Woops did /roll instead of /dice

Masterwork doesn't, but what of the +1s and such?

Inspiration
ICKy Charity Owner

Old 06-05-2016, 03:34 PM

Well I don't know pathfinder at all so i'm not sure what you're talking about.^^;;

Bows use dexterity in order "to hit" and they do not get a strength bonus (but do get strength penalties) the pluses on them are added on to your to hit roll and to damage rolls. do say its a +2 longbow:

You add d20 roll + dex mod + the enhancement bonus (+2) + size mod +range penalty.

than you roll damage 1d8 +2
if crit (x3) you'd roll 3d8 +6

Your stat set: 12,18,20,14,13,16
very nice :D

Edit: Oh yeah, and masterwork weapons add a +1 enhancement bonus that do not stack with magical enhancement bonuses.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-05-2016, 03:44 PM

Hmm I tried to look it up and found nothing.

So for stats...

12 - Cha
18 - Str
20 - Dex
14 - Con
13 - Int (does dnd also have the added language?)
16 - Wis (I think Wisdom is what sorcerers use?)

This seems like the best set-up.

Inspiration
ICKy Charity Owner

Old 06-05-2016, 03:49 PM

Well it depends on if you're planning to use slings or melee weapons. If you go solely magic and bows you may not need a high stat in strength. Sorcerers use Charisma as their casting stat :]

and yes there is an added bonus for having higher intellegence to get more languages from your bonus list.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-06-2016, 01:15 AM

Well, I do plan to have a melee weapon. It's a definite must sword and shield. i learned that really fast when I got surrounded by 20 goblins

Probably will want Elvish and Common, as not knowing one's native language would be silly. (Half-elf)

Cha huh? Okay umm...

12 - Int
18 - Str
20 - Dex
14 - Con
13 - Wis
16 - Cha

Also to note, Female Ranger... Neutral? Just sorta decides things as they come. Could you link your preferred wiki page for ranger combat feats (if they get them in basic DnD), and skills? Will need to set 3 levels of skills.

Last edited by The Wandering Poet; 06-06-2016 at 01:19 AM..

Inspiration
ICKy Charity Owner

Old 06-06-2016, 01:35 PM

I typically use the book itself ^^;;;

here's the book

if I use online i use dandwiki
link directly to the feats list which i'm positive is from more than just the basic book :P
I don't know where to look for specifically ranger combat feats since my groups have always just selected from the list. Pathfinder may be different in that they've listed ones that are "good for rangers" or something.

as a half-elf you'd start with elven and common, and you'd be able to select one bonus language from any language that isn't secret. (so nothing like druidic or thieves cant)

Ranger class skills are : Climb, Concentration, Craft, Handle Animal, Heal, Hide, Jump, Knowledge(dungeoneering), Knowledge(geography), knowledge (nature), listen, Move Silently, Profession, Ride, Search, Spot, Survival, Swim, and Use rope.

You have 42 skill points to spend. You use 1 to get 1 rank in class skills. And 2 points to get 1 rank in non class skills if there was any you wanted to take.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-06-2016, 03:23 PM

Oh sweet a PDF of the book

Hmm I also have a favored enemy at lv 1. What sort of creatures are most common around the area? My last time I think I did goblins.

Did a little more research and it states rangers are Light armor. Never knew that o.o
If they know both languages what would then be a good third language?

How often does a character get feats? I think I should have 2 or 3 feats.

Precise Shot and Point Blank Shot are 2 I would be selecting. This allows me to use a bow while in close quarters with bonuses instead of penalties (Even if a player is engaged)

As for skills:
Quote:
+1 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks: A half-elf does
not have the elf’s ability to notice secret doors simply by passing
near them. Half-elves have keen senses, but not as keen as those
of an elf.
I'll have to look more indepth at the skills over time, but I don't think I took very many non class skills. One or two I think.

Inspiration
ICKy Charity Owner

Old 06-06-2016, 08:29 PM

Well why don't you check out the place descriptions I did on the front page to see what area you'd like as your "homeland" and i can tel you from that :] I can't give away what's going to be in the campaign :P you wouldn't haven taken it for that :3 hehehehehehehe

Rangers often take the language of their enemies so whatever you pick would probably work for that. Or you can go with any of the other base races: gnome, dwarf, halfling. ect.

You get one feat at first level and one at third. SO you have two feat slots right now. (fighters start with an extra one)
and those two are really good choices :D

the +1 racial to those skills are completely seperate from the ranks :D

Oh right and since you're level 3 you can put a max of 6 points into class skills, and 3 max into non class skills.
1 point into the speak language skill lets you learn another language instead of a rank since there is no actual rolls for it. It just gives you another language.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-06-2016, 08:59 PM

I see. I will probably learn goblin. They're not so bright so knowing what they ate saying could be helpful in avoiding added conflicts with them. Also could turn one into a pet and make him do chores >.>

Hmm... I will have to look at all skills available when I get home. Do professions matter much for you? My last campaign didn't use them at all so I don't know much about them.

Inspiration
ICKy Charity Owner

Old 06-07-2016, 12:41 AM

If you want to user professions I'm perfectly content to work them into the campaign. I'm not against any of it. I just want to have fun, and have my players have fun.

Professions and Crafting actually.. hmmm
*poofs a second*
I was running this campaign with some others as I said. and I had come up with some homebrew feats, ect.

here you go.
Quote:
Meat hunter - Gain +2 to fishing and hunting checks
Forager - Gain +2 to foraging and knowledge(nature) checks
Mountaineer - can use spikes in rock cliff faces to climb normally unclimable surfaces and gains a +2 to climb skill.
Survival (cold) - more resistant to adverse effects of cold climate
Survival (desert) - find water easier in a desert, +2 to forage skill when in desert
survival (heat) - more resistant to adverse effects of hot climate
Weather sense - can tell what weather is coming in the next 6 hours with a skill check.

Add skills (can be used untrained) :
hunting - Wis
Foraging - Int
fishing - Dex
mining - Str

If someone also has hunter, herbalist, fisher, or miner as professions, both skills are used in checks.
some of them are just like.. survival checks broken down to the old school AD&D. . . ones that i thought should be seperate anyways. >.> hunting, foraging , and fishing would definetly be class skills for a ranger. not sure about mining. maybe more like a dwarf skill. xD

Last edited by Inspiration; 06-07-2016 at 12:44 AM..

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-07-2016, 03:56 AM

Interesting... that adds some aspects of survival into the game. If you're out longer than rations provide food would be important... and being the ranger... that job probably falls on me

If my profession is fishing, could I use said profession to fish during campaign?

42/42 - I grabbed the list from google, anything you don't want I can remove/reassign. I just dropped one \ per rank. If hunting/foraging/fishing are to be added this would be my final setup. Bold are "ranger skills"

Hunting - \\\
Foraging - \\\
Fishing - \\\
Appraise -
Balance -
Bluff -
Climb - \
Concentration -
Craft -
Decipher Script -
Diplomacy -
Disable Device - \\
Disguise -
Escape Artist -
Forgery -
Gather Information -
Handle Animal - \\\
Heal - \\\
Hide - \
Intimidate -
Jump -
Knowledge (dungeoneering) -
Knowledge (geography) -
Knowledge (nature) - \\\
Listen - \\
Move Silently -
Open Lock -
Perform -
Profession (Fishing) - \
Ride - \
Search - \\\
Sense Motive -
Sleight Of Hand -
Speak Language -
Spellcraft - \
Spot - \
Survival - \\\
Swim - \\
Tumble -
Use Magic Device - \
Use Rope - \

Last edited by The Wandering Poet; 06-07-2016 at 04:42 PM..

Inspiration
ICKy Charity Owner

Old 06-07-2016, 01:02 PM

i think you're missing 1 point still..If i counted right... unless you put half into one of the non class skills.

It's interesting that you took some non class skills :D

and yes you could use the profession to fish during the campaign. you'd also be able to use it to make money if you wanted to, as long as there was someone to sell to. but you'd be able to use it to try to fish up enough to feed the party too.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-07-2016, 04:45 PM

Alright I edited in one more. You were right. I think I messed it up when I added the hunting/gathering stuff.

Also, I kept them at my level kinda out of habit, as I think pathfinder is your level and nonclass are half. I dunno. Just an interesting thing.

Certain non-skill items are valuable, such as use magic item, spellcraft, and disable device. Spellcraft only because I will be an arcane archer.

Okay so I have good skill in hunting/fishing/foraging. I should be able to maintain a small party if we come across the need to.

Inspiration
ICKy Charity Owner

Old 06-08-2016, 01:18 AM

This is exciting to me. :3 you should check out the character thread i made and claim a post to edit character sheet in. :D

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-08-2016, 04:52 PM

So I changed around my stats to more accommodate for being an assistance class rather than a pure combat class.
Also... not entirely sure what to do for inventory/weapons. Do we need to go shopping or do we start without an inventory? Or do we get a default set?

Last edited by The Wandering Poet; 06-08-2016 at 05:01 PM..

Inspiration
ICKy Charity Owner

Old 06-09-2016, 12:30 AM

Well think of basically "what would i take for some basic gear before i head out into the wilderness"
thinking along the lines of. Look at like... you have 15 gp to spend on adventuring gear.
You'd have a basic melee, and a basic ranged, as well as a basic armor. Nothing fancy or magical.

and you also get to roll a d6 and Percentiles(twice) 3x. and I'll ask for additional rolls as needed to determine what magical items you might have picked up on your previous adventures that got you to level 3. Which may be sold for gold to buy fancier more useful stuff or kept to be used.