Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 11-19-2013, 10:45 AM

Well, a wee doll made of felt at least.
And I don't think it went too badly, but wow do I need to plan before I take action. You know the saying "measure twice cut once?" well... I sort of went by "don't measure, just cut a lot and hope you have enough felt.
I wasn't sure how to make sleeves so I gave him a wee capelet.

Here's the finished product... he looks so unimpressed.

He's based loosely on a character called Fitz from Robin Hobb's Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies.

Any tips on how to make a better doll?
Have you ever made one before?

Does anyone know how to make the stitching look... not shit? (I don't have a sewing machine, so Fitz is hand sewn.)

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 11-19-2013, 05:13 PM

Hey that's pretty good for a first attempt! I've never made anything like that, so I don't have anything useful to offer. But the next one will be better as you'll have learnt so much from this chap, onwards and upwards!

Cybertronic Butterfly
ISS Agent 42738BUI

Old 11-20-2013, 05:32 AM

I LOVE HIM! Can I name him!? ohmigosh can I call him Teddy? Like Teddy Tanner.. oh, you don't know who that is. Duh. Anyway.. CAN I NAME HIM TEDDY? What pattern did you use? Hand sewn? Glue? What kind of fabric?

Oh wait, all that is answered; anyway, a good way to sew and not have it look dumb is to go over the cloth instead of through it. A simple stitch that has a look over going over the edge instead of making the edge stick out does wonders. Instead of going through the pattern you do for most things make it seem like you're winding the thread around a pencil, and keep the project inside out while you sew, so when you turn it inside right you don't see the thread at all. Instead you will have a seam. If you use buttons for eyes, do them first, also do the the mouth first if you are making it stitched. Again, the "winding" thread for the mouth will give a more consistent line; and that's what you really want. You should always do your best to be consistent. If you find yourself getting lazy - take a break. Don't let the project suffer because you get bored or tired or ach-y. I can put up examples tomarrow if you would like. I have free time and would be happy to help.

Last edited by Cybertronic Butterfly; 11-20-2013 at 05:38 AM..

tigerangel
(ó㉨ò)
Penpal

Old 11-20-2013, 02:25 PM

I find myself drawn to the unimpressed look on his face.
Nice job.

AikaCoonCat
Freelance Artist

Old 11-21-2013, 06:35 AM

it's super cute! X3 I love the face! lol =3

Explodey
rock is dead.long live scissors!

Old 07-22-2014, 01:28 PM

I've made a few plushies in my day. I was making copies of this old turtle doll I've had since I was a child for awhile, and I made a really elaborate dingo for a friend. Sadly, he moved away, so i have no idea if he still has it. It's a hobby I might enjoy doing again someday, but I've always sewed everything I make by hand, and it gets time consuming. Add in my worsening eyesight and the arthritis in my hands and I don't sew as much as I used to. I still have a 'battle jacket'- a coat with heavy metal patches- I haven't finished because of these same reasons.

El5ee
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-09-2014, 11:05 PM

For a first timer, you did a great job! I love the white stitches down his shirt!

Last time I made a doll out of felt I tried making the hair out of felt as well. I just cut teardrop and pointy shapes out of felt and hot glued them to the head. I felt like it gave me a little more control in how the hair was laid out. This was something I did at the end when I'd already stuffed and sewn everything closed. I love making hair really detailed, so that's just an idea if you want to get elaborate with hair!