kmaritza

Old 03-14-2007, 01:31 PM

The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon is outstanding. It's hard to categorize it because it has elements of so many things. The premise is that Claire, a British nurse who has just finished tending to soldiers during WWII, has reunited with her husband Frank who was an officer during the war. They head to the Scotland Highlands for a second honeymoon and while there go to a stong ring (something like Stonehenge) where Claire ends up getting sent back in time to the seventeenth century. There she is almost immediately thrown into a situation where her nursing skills are called into use. I won't say anymore about the plot because I don't want to give away any major plot points.

One caveat: These books are most definitely rated R. There are some pretty graphic descriptions of war, torture, rape, sex, and just plain gruesome living conditions.

siaasgn
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 03-20-2007, 08:13 PM

Hmm - book recommendations -

anything by Sheri S Tepper - especially Grass and Family Tree (she is a fantasy/ sci-fi type and also feminist)

I highly recommend Snowcrash by Neil Stevenson

I also really liked Neuromancer by William Gibson

Both Gibson and Stevenson fit in the sci-fi / cyberpunk areas

For romance the Vicki Lewis Thompson Nerd series are great. They're funny and a quick read.

The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein is a classic sci-fi that is awesome
also by Heinlein is Stranger in a Strange Land

Alegretto
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Alegretto Send a message via MSN to Alegretto

Old 03-21-2007, 07:26 AM

George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series:
Book 1- A Game of Thrones
Book 2- A Clash of Kings
Book 3- A Storm of Swords
Book 4- A Feast for Crows
Book 5- A Dance of Dragons (not yet released; supposed release date is sometime in 2007, but as of Feb. 15 '07, the book has yet to be finished)
Book 6- The Winds of Winter (not yet released)
Book 7- A Dream of Spring (not yet released)

Basic summary:
15 years a go, a war shook across the continent of Westeros, destroying the 300-year reign of the Targaryen household. Now, after a long reign of uncertain peace, the king is dead, and all of Westeros has erupted into a war, with most every noble household, be they major or minor, vying for the iron throne. Meanwhile, Daenerys Targaryen, last of the rightful royal family, slowly amasses a force to reclaim the throne that is hers by rights. But she also has what th rest of the world wants: three dragons, creatures thought to have been extinct for more than a century...

Sounds boring? HAH. As if. The war in this is not one fought all across in battlefields and with swords. Well, okay, there ARE battles. But truth be told, we actually see very little of the action on the battlefield. What the story focuses on is the internal politics of the matter, and of how the characters react and handle things. It has twists, turns, and all sorts of amazing "WTF?!" moments, many good, some bad.

The story is told in the POV (Point of View) style of several characters, usually about 8-9 people, all spread through the various regions and sides. You don't see one side of the war; you see it all. It ranges from the struggle in the north to the capital city of King's Landing; from Danerys' army across the sea to the plight of Arya as she flees and fights across Westeros. All the characters provide their own unique insights and opinions to the turmoil, both nationwide and the immediate personal turmoil that they must face. Martin almost always ends the chapters on some vicious cliffhanger or another, so you want to skip ahead and read the next time that certain character appears. Yet lo and behold! The next chapter is just as fascinating and unique as the last.

Now here's my rundown and take on it all....

THE PROS:
+Characterization. Martin throws at us a vast array of characters, and each one is a vibrant, unique, and deep individual. Yes, even the obscure people you see for only three chapters is unique in some way. There are no rank-and-file stereoytpes to be found in this. The characters are all given a sense of depth I have yet to find in any other fantasy series. And even if you hate a specific character, most of the time you can't help but be interested in them and what they add to the story.
+The World. Westeros and the lands beyond the narrow sea, and all aspects have been given a rich flavor and texture that make every civilization, region, and nation unique.
+History and Culture. Oh. My. GOD. You would not believe how much thought Martin has put into the history and culture of Westeros and the other lands. The various religions are clearly defined, the family trees are intricate and long-reaching, and just... AUGH. I can't tell you how much book-scouring and heated internet discussions I've done to piece together the histories of several of the houses and the major events. of Westeros.
+Plot Twists. To be honest, you can never quite expect what this guy will throw at you next. Everyone has their own agenda, and they can reveal it in a flash to throw things all into a mess. A sunny situation can turn hopeless within the span of three sentences, and the exact opposite can happen in just as little time. Best of all, he can do it in a way that doesn't seem hokey or random. It all fits seamlessly. nd then of course it makes you want to skip ahead just to see how it's resolved, but the next chapter proves to be just as interesting.
+Realism. Okay, this one's a double-edged sword, to be honest. Life isn't all happy and cherry-picking in Westeros. There's murder, there's death, there's grief, there are a million unsavory things about war and backstabbing politics. Yet the characters bend and fold and go with the flow as best as they can adapt to, either be it seamlessly or not at all. Just like real people. Aside from the few fantasy elements thrown into the story, the book is almost a pure look at what war and politics and the people were like in the Middle Ages. There's no mage or wizard to make everything right here. Just because you win the battles doesn't mean you win the war. You either win the game of thrones, or you die.

Yes, how lovely. But like every piece of work, there are some flaws. Let's take a look, shall we?

THE CONS:
-Realism. Like I said, double-edged sword. While Martin's eye for detail are lovely, he does also show a lot of unsavory behavior that make the more timid cringe. Rape, murder, brutality... Such things are present in war and battle, and he does NOT turn a blind eye to it. In fact, he often seems to put an emphasis on the more unsavory aspects of reality. I personally have no problem with such things, but I know there are people who go squeamish at the thought of sex, let alone rape and murder. And with some characters, there's quite a bit of sex going on with them. I just stuck it here for good measure.
-Character Death. Martin is a man who has no problem killing off or maiming his characters. While I personally find it awesome, there are many who dislike the notion that he likes to kill off prominent figures, or maims them in a way that they have no choice but to retreat into the background. He also seems to enjoy killing off the good guys.... or my favorite characters. ;_;
-Repetition. Yeah, yeah, everyone likes to repeat themselves. Martin is no exception, but sometimes he repeats a fact or line so often that it makes me cringe. If I hear the line "You know nothing, Jon Snow," one more time, I swear I'm going to stab that person in the face.
-When it's filler, you KNOW it's filler. To be honest, this is mostly the publisher's fault. Originally, the series was supposed to be only 3 books in length. However, when they looked it all over, they realized that there would be so many flashbacks and references to the past that it would be a mess. So what do they do? Yup. Filler. However, as pissingly annoying as filler can be, Martin actually manages to keep most of his filler quite badass and seamlessly integrated into everything. The worst issue of this is in A Feast For Crows, and most likely as well as in A Dance of Dragons when it comes out. Why? Originally the two books were going to be released as one book, but it was going to be quite long. 1500 pages or so, if my sources are correct. Naturally, the publishing company threw a fit and split the book. The result? Martin had to pull a lot of filler out of his arse and chuck it into the book. And it's obvious. Like, REALLY obvious. Yes, there's unglodly amounts of badassery (particularly near the end), but there are some chunks where it's just... UGH. I expect Dance of Dragons to be plagued with a similar result. But Theon Greyjoy will be in book 5, and that will make everything better. =D

... wow. I ranted a bit on that filler bit, didn't I? NO MATTER. The books are excellent, the characters as rich and deep as any real person can hope to be, and there has just been a STUNNING amount of detail put into this series. And the unexpected twists...! Oh, the twists...!

silrayn
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-22-2007, 08:01 PM

Empire Series by Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurts
Daughter of the Empire
Servant of the Empire
Mistress of the Empire

The first series I've ever bought when I was twelve and I still loved the books, unlike some that I've outgrown. The world of Kalewan is a complex and rich world and it builds into the story of a girl unexpectedly brought into power. Her initiation as a cloistered priestess brought short by the deaths of her father and brother. Mara is tossed in a world where political games often determines who will live and who will die. The unworldly Mara must find a way to lead the Acoma and survive a blood feud with the powerful Minwanabi family. She brings women's politics and innovation in a traditional world where most women are not given much power over their lives, much less the chance to rule a nation.

silrayn
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-22-2007, 08:13 PM

Oh and I forgot this one...

Vorkosigan Adventures by Lois McMaster Bujold

Miles Naismith Vorkosigan is not your typical sci-fi hero, he's not handsome or particularly tall but he can swindle you out of your teeth if you aren't careful! Born short and with bones that break at the slightest pressure, he never had much of a chance in mutant-hating Barrayar so he made an alternate identity elsewhere and conned the Barrayar Imperium into paying for it (paraphrasing the author's words). Admiral Naismith of the Dendarii Mercenaries goes around doing the dirty work for Imperial Security and having a grand old time now and again. Miles saves the day but not without cost, sometimes high.

Miles is way better than James T. Kirk of Star Trek. He's not perfect and slightly insane like most normal people. A quote from my favorite book in the series:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lois McMaster Bujold's Memory
Some prices are just too high no matter how you may want the prize, the one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart.
EDIT: Sleepy posting. ^^;

Gund
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-22-2007, 11:03 PM

i dont know how i would describe this one but its a trilogy by mallory blackman - noughts and crosses, the knife edge and checkmate. its about racism and a girls life story in an extreme world. its really good and very addictive,
i also loved day of the triffids by john wyndham but i seem to find few people to agree with me on that... shame, it was a good book.

Chroma
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to Chroma

Old 03-22-2007, 11:25 PM

Ahaha, I almost only read old novels/classics but people would get bored if I list them. The most fun to read are those satire on negative utopias. owo;

As for more modern writers, ( I rareeeely read modern books) I enjoy David Sedaris (Humor) and Chuck Palahniuk. (Varied Satires) :3 Their books are very witty and enjoyable. X,D

Seika Arai
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-23-2007, 12:19 AM

Elizabeth Haydon is brilliant.

They are all fantasy. Though some have an underlying romance theme. Most of these are young adult books.

Titles
The Storm Thief is really good too. I don't know the author.
The Ropemaker
The Naming
The Riddle

Memoirs of a Geisha is good. I loved it.
Seeker- William Nicholson
The Telling Pool

Authors
Victoria Hanley.
Tamora Pierce.
Stephenie Meyer, though I'm sure you've had to of had this one already.
Lynne Ewing is good too with her Daughters of the Moon series.
Catherine Fisher.
O.R Melling.
Scott Westerfeld is AMAZING! I love his work. His uglies triology is great.

The Farsala Trilogy by Hilari Bell is good too.

Simplixity
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-24-2007, 09:36 PM

Wow, this is really sad.
I would consider myself a reader, but I've never read any of the books in the "recommended list." There goes my new and updated book list. =]

Sojuku_Yume
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to Sojuku_Yume Send a message via MSN to Sojuku_Yume

Old 04-07-2007, 09:23 PM

I don't know exactly who it's by, but "Sea of Trolls" is an EXCELLENT book. It's fantasy, and has some Norse mythology mixed into it. It has an AWESOME twist at the end. I just love it ^^
There's also Tithe and Valiant by Holly Black, they're both fantasy and take a dark twist on Faeries... well, Tithe does. Valiant has to do mostly with Trolls, but they're not the stereotypical kind. (Fantasy)
Also, The Claidi Jounals, a series by Tainith Lee, is soooooooo good. It includes Wolf Tower, Wolf Star, Wolf Queen, and Wolf Wing, I think, in that order. (Fantasy)
The Daughters of the Moon and Sons of the Dark series by Lynne Ewing are pretty good as well, they have some Greek mythology in them, but are mostly modern. They're unique stories. (Fantasy/Fiction)
Anything by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes is AWESOME! She mostly writes Vampire novels, but she has some other good ones too. (Fantasy)
I AM MORGAN LE FAYE (sp?) and I AM MOREDREAD are like, complretely awesome!!! Fantasy, and they both take nice spins on some of the "villans" in the King Arthur myths. They both made me want to cry ;_;. I think they're by different authors, and I can't remember either at the moment >.<
That's all I can remember right now, and I'm not very good at describing books because I've read so many it's hard for me to remember them, only that I enjoyed them ^^

Sojuku_Yume
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to Sojuku_Yume Send a message via MSN to Sojuku_Yume

Old 04-07-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdark_secretsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaming-Scorpion
Fore vampire lovers i say

Twighlight and New Moon (its sequal) are spectacular. it has romance, action, and a good plot. i'm not good at explaining things so i'm done for now -.-
I'm a total vampire lover, love anything with vampires in it. I bought New Moon though not Twighlight, should I read Twighlight first or would it be okay to read New Moon now?
TWILIGHT FIRST!!!!
You so won't get anything, and it'll take away from the BAM! factor in the beginning ;_;

xDark_Midnightx
⊙ω⊙
Banned
Send a message via MSN to xDark_Midnightx

Old 04-08-2007, 06:24 PM

I sugest:

For mysteries:
Nancy Drew
The Da Vinci Code

Adventures:
Harry Potter
Eragon
(Books by Darth Nix)
Inuyasha

Romance:
Absolute Boyfriend
Skip Beat

Aeva
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-08-2007, 06:35 PM

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke

I loved this book when I read it. It's a hefty book, I guess. I believe it has 800+ pages and it took me about two months to read, but it was worth it.

The reason it took me so long to read was because I couldn't sit down and read a lot at once. At first, the language was a little hard to get used to -- but I had never read anything quite like it, so of course it'd be a little difficult to get through!

The book can seem a little slow, though, especially in the beginning. Mr. Norrell is sort of a boring old man for being a magician.

For more of the YA reader, though, I definitely recommend Vivian Vande Velde and her stories. I loved Companions of the Night and Heir Apparent. Companions has vampires and Heir Apparent is about a girl trapped inside a futuristic video game that she has to get out of.

Tamerthanthou
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to Tamerthanthou

Old 04-08-2007, 10:57 PM

Oh yay! My two favorite genres, romance and fantasy!!!

Anything by Jo Beverley! I specifically love her Devilish and [/u]To Rescue a Rogue[/u] but they're the enders of two series and you should read the other ones first. Of the Malloren series, which Devilish is from, [/u]Something Wicked[/u], the middle novel is the next best. The others are great as well, but those are my two favorites. For the Rogues series, the first one, An Arranged Marriage is pretty good as well.
Try Lauren Willig's spy series, starting with The Secret History of the Pink Carnation.

As for fantasy, I see you've read Trudi Canavan's Black Magician series which I love!
Try the Glasswrights series by Mindy L. Klasky or Summers at Castle Auburn by Sharon Shinn.

My favorite author, however, is Sherwood Smith. Her Crown Duel is a bit more youthful then her Inda but I love them both so I shall suggest them both. The first is more of a light read and easy to understand and the latter is very complex although I'm not quite sure where she's going since the second book of the trilogy has yet to be released.
[/color]

Simplixity
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 04-08-2007, 11:00 PM

Just finished reading Dan Brown's Angels and Demons, so I would recommend that book to anyone who's looking for an exciting adventure.

DragonsRage24
⊙ω⊙
n/a

Old 04-08-2007, 11:42 PM

I'd Recommned the Smoke Theif and the Dream Theif by Shana Abe. ^^ Both are very nice and have great descriptions, and if you like fantasy type books I would so have you read them as soon as possible. ^^

The March Hare
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-06-2007, 10:46 PM

Vampire;;
  • Interview with a Vampire by Anne Rice.
    A solid book about the life of a vampire written through an interview between a human and the vampire in question. The whole book is dialog but it's very engaging and interesting to read.

Peeps by Scott Westerfeld.
    A very good book. It's about 'Peeps' or Parasite-positive people, basically vampires but not in the traditional sense. It's a new turn on vampirism, and although I didn't like the ending, it's still a good read. Plus there's tons of actual information about parasites that will make your skin crawl!

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
    Everyone's pretty much already said lots of praise for this so I won't beat the dead horse. xD
Fun;;
  • Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll.
    Just a cute book, lots of strange happenings and conversations that make you tilt your head to the side and go ".. Wait what?". Or in my friend's words, "Drug-induced fantasy."
Fantasy;;
  • The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop.
    Lots of love for this trilogy. It's hard to describe the book, but I would definitely recommend at least looking at a summary or something.
Romance;;
  • Anything by Nora Roberts.
    The books that I've read by her always have a strong story in them. They have unsuspecting twists, good characters and lovely romance.

Anyone have any recommendations for a space pirates book? xD

Kokoryta
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-08-2007, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyKey
I recommend books writen by Tamora Pierce, If you like fantasy/magic, knights, swords and and a little love.
Oh god yes. I love her stuff even though it's directed for young adults. :cry:

As for books that I go back to again and again:

The Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams. Sci-fi, comedy and all around wonderful.

The Season of Passage by Christopher Pike. One of his horror adult novels, but one of my favorite books of all time, I'd say one of his best.

The Last Vampire series by Christopher Pike. For all you vampire lovers, it gets a little unbelievable in the last 2-3 books, but overall it is a strong series.

Anything by Neil Gaiman. The man is a genuis, pointe final.

The Green Mile series by Steven King. Not so much horror as a tale of humanity.

There are a few others, like The Giver, The Island of the Blue Dolphins and so on, but those are classics.

GainaSpirit
Dead Account Holder

Old 06-08-2007, 09:38 AM

I love the Black magician trilogy from Trudi Canavan... That was a wonderful serie. I didn't read the other serie, I didn't knew if it'll be that good...

kiarakiara
ʘ‿ʘ
Banned

Old 06-11-2007, 08:46 PM

Twilight, new moon, eclipse

Mimi
\ (•◡•) /

Old 06-12-2007, 07:53 AM

I have a recommandation and I think I will drop in more often (I am a bookseller XD)

Recently I read "Darkfever" by Moning. I recently read it and really like it. It's dark fantasy and I liked it better than the Anita Blake novels by Hamilton, which I would say goes into the same genre. ^^

lily_dragon

Old 06-12-2007, 08:06 PM

Ack! No one has mentioned Sunshine by Robin Mckinley! If you are looking for a good twist on the old vampire theme it is one book you're sure love! The characters have wonderful depth to them and the world is presented in such a way you'll soon believe it must be real. (Not to mention it is my favourite book ever!)
In any case, Robin Mckinley has written several other books that are equally enjoyable: The Blue Sword, The Hero and the Crown, Spindles End, Rose Daughter, Deerskin, and others.

Someone did mention Mercedes Lackey, yes? I would especaily recommend The Fairy Godmother by her.

Tamora Pierce is perfect for those that like strong heroines. I particularly enjoyed her Protecter of the Small quartet. (Darn her! Why did she stop doing those!)

Some of you might be familar with the familar with Mary Stewart's Merlin books but I would highly suggest read her other works like Thronyhold, Rose Cottage, and you absolutely must read The Ivy Tree!

Don't forget Garth Nix! The Old Kingdom series is wonderful. Every time I read Sabriel I fall in love with it all over agian. His short story are worth a few rereadings too. They are collected in Across the Wall. Recently though I've become addicted to his Keys to the Kingdom series.

I'll stop there. But be sure I'll post more later!

AllyKatt1029
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to AllyKatt1029

Old 06-15-2007, 05:29 AM

I recomend Eragon. Eldest, Inkheart, and Inkspell.

Eragon-Eldest
Author: Christopher Paolini
Gene: Fantacy
about: Its about a boy who finds a egg in a forest and finds it a dragon and now he has to go on a quest to destroy the evil galbatorix to save Alagasia.

Inkheart-Inkspell
Author: Cornelia Funke
Gene: fancy
About: In the first book meggie and her father mo have to join forces with dustfinger to destroy the evil Capricorn to save their town from destruction and to save her mother that was sent into a book by accident by her father mo. Then in the secound they have to go into the book inkheart and save it from its own fate.

Simplixity
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 06-17-2007, 02:22 AM

Our school had finals this week, and since I was exempted from some exams, and had nothing better to do, a friend let me borrow his book for the time being. I had some required school reading to read, but they bored me, so I decided to try his book.

It was science fiction, and written by Stephen King, so it wasn't exactly my normal pick of book. Yet, by the end of the first page, I was enraptured with the book, and was soon warped into the fantasy world. I even refused to give the book back to the friend, until I had a chance to finish reading it.

One of the reviews on the book described it as one of those books that you can't put down, and still reading it 2 a.m. with sleepy eyes, because the action just accumulates and never give the reader to even take a rest. I've found that to be very true.

Ok, so enough of my rambling, the book is The Eyes of the Dragon. If you haven't read it before, go to the book store today and buy it. You'll love it, even if sci-fi isn't your favorite genre and the book is a bit gory.

Julianna
(。・ω・&...
Send a message via MSN to Julianna

Old 06-18-2007, 01:50 AM

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides.

it has nothing to do with sex,
but its something about being female and male.
i only heard about it while watching Oprah actually.
and if Oprah thinks it goods, then it should be good.
i've also read a few pages, not many..
but its good soo far. (: