zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 12-11-2023, 06:09 PM

Did anyone else watch the latest Ghibli/Miyazaki movie, The Boy and the Heron? If so, what did you think of it? I really wasn't sure what to expect because the trailer was really insubstantial/confusing. After watching it I can see though how it would be really hard to make a trailer that would make sense for this movie, haha! I thought it was a bit more "out there" than some of Miyazaki's works but very creative!

Last edited by zigbigadorlube; 12-11-2023 at 06:11 PM..

Kent
owo

Penpal

Old 12-15-2023, 04:59 PM

Yep! Uhhh, it was sorta wild. Even somewhat nightmarish. The animation was pretty amazing. The music was okay. I don't really like the story much cuz it sorta felt pointless in the end. I also felt like Mahito was forced to accept Natsuko as his mother.. I don't really see what makes it a masterpiece... My favorite part was the song at the credits cuz it was by one of my favorite Japanese artists. XD It was also fun hearing another of my favorite Japanese artists/actors voice the grey heron. He sounded so different but I did recognize his voice~

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 12-17-2023, 02:11 AM

I know Miyazaki tends to use a lot of symbolism in his works so I felt like this movie was trying to symbolize of the pointless brutality and loss of war and the next generation having to take on the role of making the world a better place. That was just my interpretation though. I definitely agree that the story seemed to go in a looot of different directions. It wasn't a favorite of mine by far but an interesting adventure.

zeapear
How's Annie?

Old 12-17-2023, 03:27 AM

I saw it recently (dubbed) and I quite liked it. I feel like Miyazaki does a really good job of capturing the feeling of being a child in a big, confusing world, and I think a lot of the chaos of the plot feeds into this. Sometimes things just happen when you're a child, and you don't get a lot of time to process, or ask why, and you just need to adapt and accept. The whole movie felt super dreamlike, and I enjoyed just sitting and absorbing it.