Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-15-2013, 08:49 PM

So where do you folks like to workout?
Do you belong to a gym? Do you prefer the great outdoors? Or do you only get sweaty in the privacy of your own home?

I have my own set of weight and a yoga mat at home, but I tend to do much better at the gym. It lets me dedicate a longer period of time to my workout without getting distracted. The Internet is just too tempting when I'm home.

And as much as I like the idea of running outside, or working out in a park, there never seems to be the right set of circumstances. It's always too hot or too cold, or rainy, or there's too many people around and I feel self-conscious, or there's no one around and I get nervous about what would happen if I hurt myself. If I tried to exercise outside all the time, I'd never actually do anything!

ElysiumFate
There is beauty everywhere.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:50 AM

I work out at home for the most part because it's the most convenient. I have some pretty basic equipment. A set of 5 pound weights, some ankle weights, a core toning set of Pilate type bands, and a yoga mat. I also have an old school ski machine that works me hard.

I have access to my college gym but I live forever away from it and I seem to always be studying for tests after the first couple weeks of the semester are over.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-16-2013, 08:36 PM

A ski machine? Do you have a photo of it (or something similar)? Because I can't quite picture what it's like. It sounds neat, though!

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 09-16-2013, 10:12 PM

hummy has a treadclimber
it's a great workout
and easy on your knees and ankles
well as easy as panting and sweating your butt off can be

ElysiumFate

Old 09-17-2013, 12:01 AM

It's quite an ancient dinosaur that has been in my basement forever but it sure works out my legs.

This is what we have:

It was originally made for cross country ski training.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 09-17-2013, 12:31 AM

i love dinosaurs

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-17-2013, 01:23 AM

That is so cool! I was picturing something more like an elliptical, but I love that you machine literally mimics skiing. Cross-country skiing is no joke. I've done it a few times and inevitably end up becoming a sweaty and grumpy mess.

ElysiumFate

Old 09-17-2013, 02:09 AM

Yeah, it's definitely a unique dinosaur. XD I don't think they make anything like it anymore. My parents used to be really into skiing but they've gotten too old for it nowadays.

I've never done cross country skiing myself, but I sure know that that thing makes me sweat like a pig within 10 to 15 minutes.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 09-17-2013, 02:23 AM

cross country skiing must be a wonderful workout with beautiful scenary as a bonus

ElysiumFate

Old 09-17-2013, 03:54 AM

I imagine it would be. :) I would love to go snow shoeing for a similar reason.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 09-17-2013, 05:42 AM

that is a lot of fun
i have had to do that to get to the grocery shoppe
upstate New York doesn't know the meaning of a little snow storm
=)

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 09-18-2013, 05:31 AM

I belong to a gym. (Haven't been in a week though, oopsie!) I really enjoy the environment, and the gym I belong to offers free Zumba and pilates/yoga classes to members, which are really great.

Wonderlands
Super ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ...

Old 09-18-2013, 08:53 AM

I go to a gym that's super close to me. The membership includes use of the gym and any classes that you go to which can be as many as you like. It's pretty much just opened so it smells nice, haha. I joined because I wanted to get a personal trainer to help me out with an exercise routine to get me back into shape and toned up after not exercising for two years after 9 years of heavy exercise. They have some super cool equipment that I never knew existed which works various muscles, they are super fun! The fact that I have a membership gets me more motivated because it wasn't cheap and I'd feel bad if I didn't go which is good because if I didn't have it I wouldn't voluntarily exercise at home.

GwenaHikari
사랑해요

Penpal

Old 09-19-2013, 03:12 AM

I mostly exercise at home, occasionally I exercise outside by going for a walk or riding my bike around town - but mostly its me and my wii, my computer (for online exercise videos or routines), or my tv and some exercise dvd. Or I do some push ups, stretches, or lift weights without any instruction and at all lol But yeah I'm home exercise, nearest gym would be 15-30 minutes away and between using up the gas in my car, the motivation to go or get dressed etc....I just would never stick to doing it at a gym, I mean I'm not very on top of it at home but at least if I suddenly feel motivated I can just pick up my weights and start lol

Kylie
The Original Angel - Member 620

Old 09-20-2013, 02:56 AM

I'm actually a trainer now, which makes the gym my favorite place to be. As I worked at my gym at a point as front desk, I know some 80% of the people there. That and my knowledge of sports medicine, I never have a shortage of workout buddies, which is wonderful.

Home workouts really don't do it for me. Even if you're overweight or de-conditioned, going to a gym and just asking questions from experienced people (don't take up all their time, they're there to work out) will provide you with a wealth of information and help you learn new ways to improve yourself.

That, and if you're lucky you'll meet a workout buddy. As I mentioned earlier, having a really good workout buddy is worth more than the membership. They inspire and motivate you as you inspire and motivate them. The two of you push each other to new goals and it's incredible. :)

Quantum Angel
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 09-25-2013, 06:45 AM

I prefer going to the gym, but I'm currently stuck in a town without a gym and getting out of town is an all-day ordeal, so...for now, working out at home is my only option. Luckily though I DO own a Wii with Wii Fit Plus and I have put together a couple of routines with that - one hour of aerobics and yoga every day, and an additional hour of calisthenics and more yoga every other day. It's kicking my ass but it feels pretty good, and the games are pretty fun, so.

Still, I'd rather go to the gym. Better equipment, a better atmosphere...I miss doing that. Can't wait to get back somewhere else.

Sun
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via MSN to Sun

Old 11-06-2013, 10:24 AM

I don't generally like gyms very much. Too boring and samey for me. That said, i'm pretty bad at doing anything at home either. I don't really have enough room at home anywhere to exercise. My ideal workout would be in classes where i'm not left to think up my own routine and thus get bored.

Mogwai
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-07-2013, 12:03 AM

I have a treadmill at home. I prefer working out at home because I don't live in a comfortable place for running outside (lots of cars all around).
There are also benefits in running indoors. You can track your progress much easier that way. When I run outside I don't know how fast I run, because after awhile you tend to slow down your pace ... well then, on the treadmill you can't slow down your pace unless you make the treadmill to slow down. That way I continue running at the same speed as at the beginning without slowing down (: even if I feel that my legs can't take it anymore..
But when I finish, it feels so good!

I must see my progress in order to keep my motivation running up.

Last edited by Mogwai; 11-07-2013 at 12:09 AM..

cator93
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-07-2013, 11:58 PM

I have a membership to a women's gym, and I alternate between going there and exercising at home on my elliptical. I also walk long distances.

ISOS Duke
is a Special Pants

Old 11-10-2013, 05:09 AM

I used to work out at home, but now living with my boyfriend's family, I can't really bring myself to do that. We don't have any place (like a bedroom) that would have room for me to workout in.

I do have a membership to a gym that opened at the mall I work at. I've had it since they opened in September but have yet to go. I plan on starting once I go back to work on Monday though, or at least this week. I've never been to a gym before so it should be interesting.

That and I really should start taking the dog for more walks. We left for the weekend for a convention, come back and my boyfriend's parents made him a fatty @.@

Pistachio_Moustache
Thief of Your Intellectual Prope...

Penpal

Old 11-18-2013, 08:34 PM

I work out at home and I run outside. I have this kick-butt workout dvd, and it really works. I just need to watch what I eat, so the results can stick. I feel self concious in a gym full of people, plus I don't have anyone to watch my son for me to go, anyway.
Right now, my foot is injured, so I'm not really exercising for the moment.

Hell
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 11-19-2013, 03:34 PM

I usually prefer the gym, but I haven't been able to go in a while. /: I recently got zumba though, so I'm hoping to start that pretty soon. I'd go for jogs more often if I wasn't terrified of the neighborhood I currently live in lol.

Cheya
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-25-2013, 05:20 AM

I would love to go to the gym--if only I had the money and people wouldn't stare and/or criticize. Instead I work out at home with what materials I have... wii sports, wii fit, a few machines, some youtube videos, some weights... but I hardly have any motivation. I don't have a fitness buddy and when I don't see results I get stressed and depressed.