AkureiKnight
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-24-2007, 04:51 AM

Has anyone read them? I was hoping to find a fellow fan so we could chat about the books, and the Chainfire trilogy.

I basically started reading his books about 5-6 years ago. After Wizard's First Rule I fell in love and over these years read all 8 books, including Chainfire, the first book in his trilogy, and Debt of Bones which is kind of a prequel to the whole series.

Favorite book? Mine would probably be either Temple of the Winds, Wizard's First Rule, and Chainfire.

Least favorite book? Mine is probably Faith of the Fallen. To me it just seemed like it was a bit preachy and it didnt flow as well as his other books.

Please discuss! I would love to hear what fellow fans think of.

Alegretto
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Alegretto Send a message via MSN to Alegretto

Old 03-24-2007, 05:10 AM

For the longest time I loved his series. But then Naked Empire came out, and I just... meh. I suddenly couldn't stand him. I think it's just because Richard was such a bloody Gary Stu. It got to the point where even I couldn't tolerate him.

I love the Mord-Sith, though. And the old Lord Rahl. OH OH OH. AND OBA. Oba was my favoritest ever. <3333333

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 03-24-2007, 05:53 AM

I love the Sword of Truth series! I've only read up to Faith of the Fallen, though. My favorite so far would have to be Stone of Tears. I loved the whole Sisters of the Light, Sisters of the Dark plot. A close second would be Wizard's First Rule - the Mord Sith experience was intense!

I've heard a lot of people say they lost interest in the books as they went along, but I've been enthralled with each that I've read. So far, this is one of my favorite fantasy series. I want to do some Kahlan or Cara fanart! :)

Kamijo
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-25-2007, 07:09 AM

Sword of Truth! <3 That used to be my horrid passion. My copy of Wizards First Rule is more duct tape than book now.

I haven't gotten the newer ones yet, though. Which is odd. For some reason, I just want to stick with the first eight. I cannot read on!

AkureiKnight
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-26-2007, 06:26 AM

I can understand if people drop off at the 8th and 9th book. They get preachy and boring.. but Chainfire kinda sparks a deeper interest like the first books of the series. So reading thru the 8th and 9th book to get to Chainfire is totally worth it in my opinion. ^^

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 03-26-2007, 06:37 PM

You know, I've always heard about the books becoming preachy and I've always wondered, how? I mean, isn't it just a continuation of the story? Or does Terry Goodkind have some political or social views that he tries to bombard on people through his writing?

I need to check out the next book soon!

Lachesia
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 03-27-2007, 03:36 AM

This is another series that I have put aside until he's done with them because I get so bored waiting for new ones. Truthfully, I don't love his writing much - his style seems less interesting to me. That said, I enjoy some of what he's done with the series, I just wish he'd edit more. I don't think he needs as many books as he's got. When he's done with his series, I'll probably read them. Until then, nah.

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 03-27-2007, 09:14 PM

Is he the kind of person who will ever actually be done? Or will he just keep writing and writing and the story never ends?

I liked his writing style - I found it easy to get into. Robert Jordan was the one I struggled with writing wise!

Carly
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-28-2007, 11:04 PM

To be honest my favorite was Faith of the Fallen....

The one I disliked the most was Naked Empire....to be honest I'm on page 100 and am thinking to myself how can a book so amazing turn out to be this bad o-o;;

Having issues reading it ;-; but I used to love the series what happen T__T

Riddle
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-02-2007, 09:26 AM

This May Contain Spoilers n' whatnot.

I did enjoy faith of the fallen, and to me it's the best out o' them all. I suppose I'm the only one who thinks that action sequences and logical arguments fall into the same general rating as far as writing goes. I would definitely have to say that it had the best ending as well.

Sure, it does get a bit preachy. But we see the side of Richard that's not far off from Jagang, considering they both believe absolutely in their separate causes. Each time a new character or group of people enters the text, it's important to see Richard work his logic with them and bring them to his side. Seeing Nicci reform under his guidance was just awesome, considering how steadfast she was in her beliefs working under Jagang. Those preachy parts are a true revelation of the power words can work over a person's beliefs, and sometimes how even pure logic can't change someone's mind about illusive 'truths.'

Oh, and on a minor note, supposedly there's only one book left in the series... so really, he's not gonna 'just keep going' like other authors do.

Supposedly.

Still waitin' for that last one :)

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 04-04-2007, 03:22 AM

You know, I did enjoy Faith of the Fallen too. That was the last one I had read. I think my favorite moment was when he revealed the statue.

I did hear of one book that really didn't have much Richard or Kahlan in it. Which was it and did you guys enjoy it still?

Riddle
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-04-2007, 06:11 AM

It's called pillars of creation, and the main character in the book happens to be Richard's half-sister.

Many people didn't like it because it didn't include any of the main characters we all know and love, but it's an important addition to the series mainly because it allows the readers to better understand the ways that Jagang manipulates people into following his cause.

Richard does show up during the most pivotal setting, which is quite awesome... but other than that, he is only mentioned by others (namely, in a harsh/insulting sense, considering we're seeing him through the eyes of his enemies.)

Alegretto
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Alegretto Send a message via MSN to Alegretto

Old 04-04-2007, 06:18 AM

Pillars of Creation was great. I hated the chick, but Oba ruled SO MUCH.

Riddle
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-04-2007, 06:30 AM

haha, I hated the chick cuz she was stupid. I mean, sure, Jagang has a really hardcore method to instill belief in his followers... but come ON!

That, and *Spoiler: She actually saves Jagang from Zorander's deadly fireball of doom! :x

Still, great book... :)

Riddle
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-04-2007, 06:31 AM

Hm... that... and my attempt to camouflage that spoiler has failed in the worst possible way. :evil:

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 04-10-2007, 04:53 AM

Well, I just picked up Pillars of Creation, so here's hoping that it's enjoyable!

zeroSenshi12
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-10-2007, 03:10 PM

Yes! I love Goodkind's books. I've read the first four (maybe five) and they are great! I went crazy and read them all in a row, so I got a bit burned out on them. I have the fifth and sixth books sitting on my shelf waitig for me to finish my research paper. It's so hard to read books on my topic when Goodkind's books are calling my name from the shelf... -tear- XP

I haven't read the trilogy mentioned, though.

PhoenixRose
(-.-)zzZ

Old 04-11-2007, 05:14 PM

I love the Sword of Truth series. I haven't finished reading it, but they are good.

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Melody Send a message via MSN to Melody

Old 04-11-2007, 07:28 PM

Alright so up until The Pillars of Creation I loved the books. I cant read the pillars of creation though. I cant stand Oba and his psychopathic wanting to kill everyone. im on page 135 and have been there for... probably a few months. XP
I absolutly loved Faith of the Fallen and Wizards first rule though. I have all of the books out so far. My husband is totally into them and has been reading them since we were in high school... but im like... meh... at least at this point.
Im trying to get through the book so i can move on to the better ones...

I think my main problem is that is has nothing to do with Richard and Kahlan aside from them being considered evil... and theyre the characters ive gotten attached to. so reading about Jennsen, Sebastian, and Oba arent helping the storyline for me... blah. ill comment more when i finish this book, im sure they have a purpose im just not there yet XD

Riddle
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-12-2007, 04:53 AM

Well, c'mon! get to it!
If you made it through Wizard's First Rule, with that one guy... gah, can't remember his name... and you made it through Temple o' teh Winds, with creepy-ass Dref'... Oba should be nothin' compared to those two. :lol:

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal

Old 04-13-2007, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle
Well, c'mon! get to it!
If you made it through Wizard's First Rule, with that one guy... gah, can't remember his name... and you made it through Temple o' teh Winds, with creepy-ass Dref'... Oba should be nothin' compared to those two. :lol:
I know. I just cant stand him though. Oba you see taking in alot of sick pleasure from killing people and animals though. The other two you would hear about it and I guess with Richards half brother it was seen too, but it wasnt taken in SO much. At least not in my eyes. I just.. dont like him as a character. and I keep getting the two witch sisters confused. even though one is dead now. :/
im so lost in this book! D:

bslayer
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to bslayer Send a message via MSN to bslayer

Old 04-28-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly
To be honest my favorite was Faith of the Fallen....

The one I disliked the most was Naked Empire....to be honest I'm on page 100 and am thinking to myself how can a book so amazing turn out to be this bad o-o;;

Having issues reading it ;-; but I used to love the series what happen T__T
I agree with you about Naked Empire, I couldn't stand that book the first like 200 pages. Luckily I have a really good friend who told me to just keep going, and it was worth it in the end. I really enjoyed it. Right now, I just started Chainfire and am about 200 pages in. I think its decent so far, the action is just starting to pick up a bit ^^

bslayer
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-28-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melody xyelle
Alright so up until The Pillars of Creation I loved the books. I cant read the pillars of creation though. I cant stand Oba and his psychopathic wanting to kill everyone. im on page 135 and have been there for... probably a few months. XP
I absolutly loved Faith of the Fallen and Wizards first rule though. I have all of the books out so far. My husband is totally into them and has been reading them since we were in high school... but im like... meh... at least at this point.

I think my main problem is that is has nothing to do with Richard and Kahlan aside from them being considered evil... and theyre the characters ive gotten attached to. so reading about Jennsen, Sebastian, and Oba arent helping the storyline for me... blah. ill comment more when i finish this book, im sure they have a purpose im just not there yet XD
I completely agree with you. Pillars was hands down the worst book of the series for me. Just get through it as quickly as possible, the only significant part is the ending like 4 chapters. Jennsen confused me so much during that book, I couldn't understand her character at all until the ending. She gets a lot better in the next book though I think.

bslayer
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-28-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroSenshi12
Yes! I love Goodkind's books. I've read the first four (maybe five) and they are great! I went crazy and read them all in a row, so I got a bit burned out on them. I have the fifth and sixth books sitting on my shelf waitig for me to finish my research paper. It's so hard to read books on my topic when Goodkind's books are calling my name from the shelf... -tear- XP

I haven't read the trilogy mentioned, though.

Yay almost to Faith of the Fallen. I loved that book, although not as much as Wizard's First Rule.

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal

Old 05-03-2007, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bslayer
Quote:
Originally Posted by melody xyelle

I completely agree with you. Pillars was hands down the worst book of the series for me. Just get through it as quickly as possible, the only significant part is the ending like 4 chapters. Jennsen confused me so much during that book, I couldn't understand her character at all until the ending. She gets a lot better in the next book though I think.
that requires finding the book again. XD i think my daughter put it under my bed somewhere. >.> ill find it eventually. im going on a long flight next weekend so i figure ill bring it on the plane with me. get through a bunch of the chapters then and finally get the book out of the way. im havin trouble keeping hte characters straight more often then not because some of them have similar names like the sister that has magic an the one that can seee 'holes' or something. i dunno. but yeah. ill get through it because i think the next book is actually about richard and the group wth him. i <3 them... not the random new characters. XP