Eldweena
Gaming FFXIII-2

Old 10-01-2017, 01:47 PM

What are some of your favorite "classics"? What classics are on your reading list?

I want to read "1984," and I'm interested in the work of Alan Watts. I feel like I should read Tolstoy but I never have.

Robert Louis Stevenson is one of my favorites. I love classic monster stories (especially "Dracula," but I LOATHE "Frankenstein" - an utter bore), and he wrote "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde." My favorite of his works, though, is "The Beach of Falesá."

I love Jane Austen, but I haven't read all of her work. "Pride and Prejudice" is one of my favorites, but for film adaptations I prefer "Sense and Sensibility" with Emma Thompson, Kate Winslet, Alan Rickman, and Hugh Grant.

Edgar Rice Burroughs is another of my favorite authors. I like "Tarzan," but I really love his classic sci fi series that begins on Barsoom (Mars). Disney made a "John Carter" movie, a film adaptation of "A Princess of Mars," but it was a huge flop. It was actually a really great movie, but why would anyone see a film called "John Carter"? They should have left it "A Princess of Mars." Maybe they were trying to attract a male audience? It's an excellent adaptation, really, but the marketing was bad.

ANTIPODEAN OPALEYE
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-29-2018, 01:25 PM

I haven't read as many classics as I want to and also I just haven't been reading as much as I would like because you know.. life lol
anyway...
I loved The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells when I read it quite some time ago. I also absolutely looved Orwell's Animal Farm, but I haven't read 1984 yet but it's definitely on my tbr list.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 01-08-2019, 06:49 PM

a friend just got 1984 for Christmas
I may ask to borrow it =3

Crimson Fang
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to Crimson Fang Send a message via MSN to Crimson Fang

Old 01-27-2020, 10:55 PM

I don't think I have read any classics. Although to be perfectly honest I am not entirely sure what is and is not considered a classic. I have read classic books within fields I am interested in (social anthropology and politics) but don't think they really count. 1984 is on my to read list. Although since my to read list seems to be endless, it is almost meaningless to be on it.

Kaderin Triste
Resident Tiger Expert

Old 05-11-2020, 04:58 PM

I've been trying to read at least one classic a year, minimum. This year, I finally read Frankenstein. I found it kind of dry at the beginning and end, but the middle was interesting. And am very slowly working my way through The Brothers Karamazov.

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 02-19-2023, 05:38 AM

I read "Dracula" by Bram Stoker for the first time last year, because of the Dracula Daily newsletter, and loved the heck out of it. The newsletter sent out the book in "real time" according to the dates of all the letters etc in the book, rather than the order that Stoker put everything in, so it was a bit of a sideways way to read it, but it was so fun. It created a surprising amount of suspense to wait for each email to arrive, sometimes with gaps of a couple weeks between them. Plus, the massive, informal tumblr book club that formed around it was a great addition to the experience, really top notch to read everyone's responses to the the latest email and read longer analysis posts along the way. The guy who ran the newsletter is going to publish a book version of it, including fanart, memes, and notable posts along side each day, and I'm really looking forward to it.

ReiyukaE
(◎_◎;)

Old 02-20-2023, 11:36 AM

@Chexala, that sounds so amazing, omg. I've never read it, but I heard about the newsletter and it just sounded like the coolest thing. I love that there's going to be a continuation of the sage!

@Kaderin: That's an excellent idea, to actually make a dent in those "classics" lists. I've actually been meaning to pick up Frankenstein, too, since I've never read it. How did you like it?

@Eldweena: I am fully with you on the Jane Austen train. I'm actually a moderator on a Jane Austen book club on Telegram, haha. As such I've read the books SO MANY TIMES. My favourite is Persuasion, but sadly that one has some of the worst adaptations so far. Pride&Prejducie 1995 & 2005, Sense & Sensibility with Emma Thompson, and then the latest adaptation of Emma, are all REALLY GOOD, tho.

Seeing everyone's mentions made me realize I really haven't made a dent yet, in the "classics". I've been trying to struggle my way through Great Expectations by Dickens for the past year and a half.