Silver Crusnik
Kittenfais Overlord

Old 10-11-2009, 05:29 PM

Nagging notwithstanding--hey, you said you're a woman and have the rights, so by gaw, you can say it's nagging. :XD--I think you have a very valid point. Me and my mule try to stay kind and informative, when the information is needed. But I'll try to keep it that way, I normally don't toss links. Lol.

IRK3N
(^._.^)ノ

Old 10-11-2009, 05:48 PM

This was a very good thing to point out, I think.
I know I've seen many users shoving the rules in newbs faces, and that does seem a bit off-putting. I'm happy to see you made this announcement!

Also, holy crap that is a lot of users. Yay for Mene getting bigger!!

Missy192
I am a full QWERTY keyboard.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:14 PM

I don't live in the Fresh Meat section but when I do go in there I've always felt it wrong to put links to the rules and whatnot. I'm glad that you guys are going to start giving out warnings for those people that DO do that.

KiwiRose
Matriarch

Old 10-11-2009, 06:14 PM

Makes a lot of sense, but I do have a question. Does this mean NOT to post a link to say, the Newbie Guide at all, or only don't post and link to said guide and that's it?

For a random, pulled out of butt example

Quote:
Originally Posted by example
Hi__________ Welcome to Menewsha! I love anime too, what are your favorite shows? Mine are DBZ, Outlaw Star and Hellsing.

Oh, and Roleplaying is so fun- I haven't tried out the RP boards here on Mene yet, but they look great! I've played a lot of tabletop RPGs though, have you ever tried any?

Oh! And by the way, if you need a little assistance, there is the Newbie Guide to get you started.
Would the above be alright?

Lathrine
theatre major from nurse school

Old 10-11-2009, 06:16 PM

Thanks for the reminder, Jelly! :D

Iiiii don't hang out at the Fresh Meat boards as often as I probably should... I just feel bad if I'm dropping in on people and saying yet another generic "Welcome to Menewsha, -name-!" o_o

Blkmage Disaster
The Shadow Thief

Old 10-11-2009, 06:21 PM

I never really thrown links at newbies. I just assumed that they would read them on their own time. That's what I did. Maybe I should visit there more often, I only posted there once I believe. :sweat:

Hollywood
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 10-11-2009, 06:39 PM

I think that a lot of the time, Menewsha members just sound so FORMAL and unnatural in a lot of conversations! I think what Jelly wants for us is to drop the formality just a bit, and actually let your personalities shine through! Sometimes the greetings just seem so cold- like the person on the other side could really care less. A lot of the time we seem like robots.
Why not skip your message template, and actually welcome the person by having a conversation? The warmth will really make a bigger impact on a new user, rather than that person seeing 6 replies that basically sound like "Hello _____. Welcome to Menewsha. I hope you will enjoy your time here"
drop the facade, and have some fun, guys! Make every newbie feel like they have their own personal hang out thread!!

YamiSora
~

Old 10-11-2009, 07:08 PM

oh yea I see your guys point!
well i've been good in not doing that! (to lazy to get links and such! XDD)
for once my laziness paid off some YAY ^^

(BTW: nice pic of chocolate cake.....I want some! XP)

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 10-11-2009, 07:25 PM

Hi there Hollywood! *waves* :squee:

Shooga!
*^_^*
Banned

Old 10-11-2009, 07:41 PM

I am proud to say that I was one of them new users! I shall go and welcome some people now if you like xD

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-11-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiRose View Post
Makes a lot of sense, but I do have a question. Does this mean NOT to post a link to say, the Newbie Guide at all, or only don't post and link to said guide and that's it?

For a random, pulled out of butt example

Would the above be alright?
It's fine if they ask for help, Kiwi :yes: Just don't post them before that when someone's just saying Hi or whatever. :)

KiwiRose
Matriarch

Old 10-11-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellysundae View Post
It's fine if they ask for help, Kiwi :yes: Just don't post them before that when someone's just saying Hi or whatever. :)
Alright, just wanted to make sure. Seems fair to me, too. Thank you for clearing that up for me!

ShellyRoo
: Faerie :
Send a message via MSN to ShellyRoo

Old 10-11-2009, 07:57 PM

Noted, so... be more personal when greeting? :3~

And For-Chan Made me smile, because she's like the unofficial greeter. :3~
*huggles*

And... those cookies.. look... so.... good.... mm...mmm...

Sanctuary
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 10-11-2009, 08:50 PM

This is what puts me off the most when I go to a new site, more than having no one greet me at all. Thank goodness for the new rule!

Lusalma
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-11-2009, 08:57 PM

I am a newbie of like 3 days and when I first came here the greeters were really nice. I am kinda glad that they suggested to me to read the rules, only after they talked to me a little though...so still following rules >.< but the rules are important because as the rules state, if you break the rules and your posts are removed you also lose money, so if you bought cloths with that money, won't you find yourself naked again? Also I like the fact that the rules are explained, WHY they are there....so yeah....

Suona
¿ʇəʎ ʇɹ...

Old 10-11-2009, 09:01 PM

Yeah yeah yeah ;P
Treat the nooblets with respect. Got it. :]

Kierys
Some kind of pixie-thing

Old 10-11-2009, 09:23 PM

I think I'll go greet some newbies myself. ^-^

Son Zack
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 10-11-2009, 09:47 PM

That's probably a good idea. Hadn't thought of that before! I just thought it was a kind thing to do since no one directed me to the rules when I first joined and so I didn't know what mene's definition of 'double posting' was and I did it and then everyone got mad at me xD

I liked to show new people the rules because I was hoping that it kept them from getting in such a frustrating situation like I had gotten myself into.

But definitely, the fresh meat posters should be friendlier :3

The_Crow
Mime From Hell
Penpal
Send a message via AIM to The_Crow Send a message via MSN to The_Crow Send a message via Yahoo to The_Crow

Old 10-11-2009, 09:52 PM

I always tried to make my Fresh Meat welcomes personal, because I saw ones that looked like cookie cutters and it put me off. I tried to respond to something the the user said, or if they didn't say much I encourge them to say more for earning gold's sake. If they ASK about earning gold, I give them the link. If they ask about clothes, I tell them about the 30g starter in hopscotch and the Charity forums which I frequent.

But yes, being personal is rather key to making the person feel welcome.

Saiyouri
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-11-2009, 10:23 PM

OK, thanks for the announcement. I will keep that in mind when I welcome a newcomer.
Glad to hear we got so many new members.

MeIshCutie
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 10-11-2009, 11:39 PM

WOW! that's great 'o'

The Bebe Girl
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 10-11-2009, 11:49 PM

Awsome! I remember when i first came here i got all these links and it just plane confused me. People do need to be more personal. I always try to chat, not scare users (i hope i'm not scary 0.o)

Bell
Love is watching someone die. [W...

Old 10-11-2009, 11:49 PM

Uh thanks for posting that up.
I had more than one occasion, gotten reprimanded for welcoming others.
But now I see why it's very important to you all.
I hope that people use this important information.

Thank you~
Bell

Sakura_Madison
The Lover of Red
Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Sakura_Madison Send a message via MSN to Sakura_Madison Send a message via Yahoo to Sakura_Madison

Old 10-12-2009, 12:11 AM

Wow, that is a lot of accounts that have been opened here with Menewsha.

Thank you for letting us know about making them feel welcomed.

Bartuc
Sky Pirate

Old 10-12-2009, 12:33 AM

Fresh meat is very active. @__@ I spent 10 hours in there one day and just about fried my active brain cells.

I will punch you if your rude! D:< Don't think I wont.