GainaSpirit
Dead Account Holder

Old 05-07-2007, 01:11 PM

I don't use the same password ever ^^

mooglebunny
Truly, truly outrageous!
Send a message via MSN to mooglebunny

Old 05-07-2007, 03:19 PM

That's why I don't join many sites, and I have not really heard of 420Chan, or whatever it's called, but like, I haven't heard of Subeta either. xD I certainly don't always use teh same username on every forum, either, or the same password, so that works. :o 8)

shine
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-07-2007, 06:23 PM

I have a couple of different passwords that I switch between, but all of my usernames are different.

jessyta
*^_^*

Old 05-07-2007, 06:35 PM

As a member of Subeta staff, I thought I'd clear up a few things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesic
One of the awesome user admins, David, was banned for an arbitrary reason... he moved a pet named "4chan" from a user's account to his own, to help fend off attacks towards that user, and was fired for it.
David was a Programmer. Not a User Admin. BIG difference there.

And that's not why he was fired. That was one thing he did leading to his firing (that prompted many complaints about him, from the owner of that pet & others). But that was not THE one and only reason.

Otherwise your post is very accurate.

There was no illegal DDOS attack by Subeta. There were no passwords sold. Keith did not make the loooongcat LJ. These are false rumors being spread by channers to make people mad at Keith & Subeta. Sadly, some people actually fall for that garbage.

nvs
\ (•◡•) /

Old 05-07-2007, 07:15 PM

thanks!i have to admit,i had before always all the smae passwords,but now i think only 2 accounts that i have anywhere(mail too) have the same password
but thanks for the warning!and congrats for being a trial mod!

Shakey
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via MSN to Shakey

Old 05-07-2007, 08:12 PM

Thanks for warning us Jelly! <3

LunaMiel
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 05-07-2007, 08:12 PM

• Wow. Drama. @3@

Succubus
n/a

Old 05-07-2007, 09:24 PM

I am Succubus, the same Succubus who is a user admin of Subeta.org. I noticed the post by Mesic on 420chan and have come to help clear up any misunderstandings that I can for subeta users and gaia users, possibly menewsha users alike who have been attacked in these raids... First of all, the author of this thread is correct. Do not use the same passwords you use for email or anything extremely personal... for anything.

Quote:
420chan, which is a spinoff of 4chan with boards for raiding, invaded Subeta after Subeta released a longcat donation item.
In response, the owner of Subeta, Keith, performed a DDOS attack on 420chan which temporarily shut it down.
This is not so. The DDOS occured first. One of the 3 or so (to my knowledge, I am guessing. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I know for a fact there were more than one) IPs used to attack 420chan was the IP of a virtual petsite. This site, ofcorse was subeta. The 420, 4, 7, etc. channers, noticed a longcat item soon after. This enraged them, ofcorse. However longcat does not belong to these chans. It originally appeared on 2chan, rumor has it, and hey.. wouldn't longcat really belong to the owner of the guy who took the photo? Maybe the person holding it. I sure as heck don't know, but it's not copywritten, and longcat belongs to the internet.

Many 4chaners beleive that a certain user or users paid to have that item. This is also not so. It was a staff custom belonging to a staff member, now it is a relatively common item on the site.

Why would Keith attack 420chan? I doubt it would have been Keith personally. He does not share the same IP that his server(s) use. IPS can be masked, mirrored, but generally, if you were doing it over the interbutt, you can usually put whatever IP address you want in the source IP of a packet. Most routers only check the destination, the problem is, that you'll not get any responses back to that IP address, since it's probably not on the same network as you. If the IP you're faking is on the same network as you, then you may be able to receive the return packets (Please forgive my terminology. Someone who is more saavy on this type deal could better explain).

Quote:
420chan then hacked into Subeta and retrieved a list of usernames and passwords. This happened on April 28, but today, 420channers looked through the list for people who also had a Gaia account and released the information via a .rar file on Rapidshare. Many people were hacked and their items sold for way cheap on the marketplace.
420chan DID NOT hack into Subeta. The hacking occured months before when the passwords were stored in free txt. The passwords were released out onto a hacking forum and as a result, passwords were hashed and users were asked to change thier passwords in a new post - not once, but many times. Not all ofcorse, did, or even saw the news post. As a result, their accounts were acsessed by third parties, the emails used to register the site with on these accounts contained the same passwords as were on thier accounts. The emails could have been used to retreive gaia information, ebay information, etc. ...

and all in all honesty, I wish the users had been told this had occured, I wish emails had been sent out to notify the users that this was a problem. My husband and I even told a few staff including David that users should be aware of this.. This was sheer negligence, in my oppinion, and I am sorry. I personally appologise to all the users who's information has been stolen and I want this to be set straight. Mesic is completely correct in her post, with the exception of:

Quote:
Now people on Subeta are pointing fingers and blaming the USERS for not doing more to avoid a catastrophe. Gaia and Subeta were, ironically, the only two sites I had used the same password for. One of the awesome user admins, David, was banned for an arbitrary reason... he moved a pet named "4chan" from a user's account to his own, to help fend off attacks towards that user, and was fired for it.
David was not canned for the sole reason of moving a pet to protect another user. There were infact, many reasons why he was fired, of which I will not go into since this is his own personal business and this has nothing to do with anything.

morph
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-07-2007, 10:04 PM

o.o what happened on gaia? [ im thinking that i was at school when this happened ] well im going to go change my password now o.o

Verucca
\ (•◡•) /

Old 05-07-2007, 11:00 PM

Ahhhhhh...what happened on Gaia??
I just changed my password...so guilty of just that. Thanks for the warning Jelly.

Socks
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to Socks

Old 05-07-2007, 11:13 PM

I'm so glad that I had a different username and password for Gaya/ Mene/ Subeta.
I'm not going there again. 8)
Thanks for the warning.

Iced-anime
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 05-08-2007, 12:11 AM

I have to check my accounts O-O;; I havn't been on in weeks >>

DeniedUltraSex
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via MSN to DeniedUltraSex

Old 05-08-2007, 12:39 AM

Thank you Jelly!~
I always have the same account.
The password varies for each one.
I hope that's okay.
I've never been hacked... O:
It's pretty crazy.

Moocat
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to Moocat Send a message via MSN to Moocat

Old 05-08-2007, 12:43 AM

T-T Thank GOD when I signed up for Subeta, I used a different username than I normally do. ;~;

xD Even though I don't care about Subeta all that much, I'm worried about my Gaia account.

Sedge
*^_^*
Send a message via Yahoo to Sedge

Old 05-08-2007, 01:18 AM

• I'm on Subeta and none of my accounts, anywhere, have been hacked, but I'm changing my Gaia and dA passwords anyway.

Mostly because I just got one of those automated "You requested a password reminder" deals from dA. Those things freak me out. D:

But then, I've also been getting a lot of those from Youtube, so... ? What's going on with that?

poet`s playground
(ο・㉨・&...
Send a message via AIM to poet`s playground Send a message via Yahoo to poet`s playground

Old 05-08-2007, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicy Chicken Wings
Thanks for the warning, Jelly.

It's a shame people are so stupid about their passwords and then get upset. I cried over a neopets hacking when I wasn't even old enough to play the game.

And even then, it was my own damn fault.

My password is ingenious. I've used the same thing with only number variations since 5th grade.

• : /.
    People have secure passwords that aren't likely to be discovered, and don't want to forget them (thereby losing all accounts...) and use the same password everywhere.

Easther_Bunni
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 05-08-2007, 02:40 AM

That's what I usually do. :oops: I'm so glad I decided not to sign up for Subeta last week.

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 05-21-2009, 01:27 AM

Resurrecting this thread from the depths of time to remind all users to protect their accounts with difficult passwords (which you change frequently and don't share with other sites) and to always, always be careful of what link you click.

PAY ATTENTION to any URL that asks you to type in your Menewsha password. They should begin with "www.menewsha.com" - anything else is not connected to Menewsha.

monstahh`
faerie graveyard

Old 05-21-2009, 09:00 PM

As of last month, I've been changing my passwords regularly, but thank you for the reminder Jelly!!! :)

(& CK!!)

Insane Cricket
(・・^...
Banned

Old 05-21-2009, 09:25 PM

Did something happen recently to make the staff feel the need to resurrect this thread? o.O

Suona
¿ʇəʎ ʇɹ...

Old 05-21-2009, 09:40 PM

Thank you for the warning.
I shall keep it in mind.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 05-21-2009, 09:50 PM

People need reminding about this kind of thing frequently, Cricket :yes:

~~xXEl3KtRaXx~~
Bring me the head of the Disco K...
Send a message via MSN to ~~xXEl3KtRaXx~~

Old 05-21-2009, 09:55 PM

ohh jelly you scared me for a moment, I thought most of the posts in this thread occurred over the past 24 hours...then I looked at the time date stamps and had a wave of relief.

But thank you for necro-ing the thread to remind us all

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 05-21-2009, 10:21 PM

It's coming on the summer, Insane Cricket. There are a lot of people with more time on their hands than usual.

Insane Cricket
(・・^...
Banned

Old 05-21-2009, 10:25 PM

Yeah, true. It's kinda sad that people are so easily fooled by those fake login pages. I have the ultimate way to beat them - it's called having your browser keep you logged in to everything. If I end up logged out of something, I immediately check the URL. -Nodnod-