nocturnal miyu
(。・ω・&...

Old 07-16-2007, 06:11 AM

the age old debate... subs vs. dubs...
i personally prefer subs... i think the way anime is drawn, english dubs just wouldn't work well no matter how good the voice actor/actress is... (and sadly most voice actors/actresses for anime suck IMO...) but even if they don't, the way things are drawn just don't match up with the english language... plus voice sound effects... the character goes, "kyaa"... if a voice actor goes "ah..." it just doesn't sound right to me... lip movement is always off too... XD

kinda like i would think it looks weird when american cartoons or pixar animation gets dubbed in chinese... it just doesn't sound right...

elissis
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-16-2007, 01:20 PM

@miyu:
hey ^^
hahaha yah.. this debate again.
you do have a point there.
the whole feel of the anime and the character's personality is lost in dubbing.

Sadistix_Love
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 07-19-2007, 04:09 PM

I always love watching anime in Japanese. The voice actors are much better and is more well suited. =3 But once in awhile, the English version is as good. Like Inuyasha! ^0^

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 07-25-2007, 11:16 AM

I only watch anime in English if its on TV and already dubbed and its near impossible to get a subbed version.

I could not imagine watching Azumanga Daioh in English because of so many Japanese cultural references in it.

Skrae
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to Skrae Send a message via Yahoo to Skrae

Old 07-27-2007, 12:04 AM

Once introduced to the world of subbed anime, I've become a convert.
I haven't watched any anime with English voice actors in about a year.
I prefer the Japanese voices, and it helps me to learn the language, since Japanese is my major.

Kawaii-kokoro
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to Kawaii-kokoro

Old 08-06-2007, 02:29 AM

I LOVE the Japanese anime better than English voice actors.

I always watched Bleach and Naruto online right? And when it came to YTV on tv, I watched it there. The first time I watched Naruto and Bleach with English voice actors, I nearly cried it was so horriable. No wait, I did cry it was so unexpected haha.

Kat Flower
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-06-2007, 04:43 AM

I think most anime are better in Japanese than English. I like Fullmetal Alchemist in English though.

Kawaii-kokoro
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-06-2007, 04:45 AM

I don't really like Full Metal Alchemist (sp?) That much at all actually haha.

I don't really mind Rurouni Kenshin in Enlgish, but it's WAY better in Japanese.

Eimi
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via Yahoo to Eimi

Old 08-07-2007, 07:53 PM

well really I prefer all anime in japanese..the only anime i was able to stand in english is inuyasha...Naruto i cant stand the english voice actors at all

foolish dream
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-07-2007, 10:06 PM

I like to watch the anime as it was created. Ok. That sounds weird, I mean to say that if it was meant to be watched in Japanese then I will have sub-titles.

Yinneh-dono
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-08-2007, 02:16 AM

I totally prefer the Original voice actors of the anime. They have more skill[most were taught in schools and they can sing! <3]

Sometimes the foreign dub voice actors[like that english voice actor for Mikuru...] didn't go to school specifically for voice acting. They have a hard time putting feeling into their voice acting and they most likely can't sing.

The originals have voices that actually fit the character and the voice will match the lips better!.

Kawaii-kokoro
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-08-2007, 02:38 PM

I can't STAND DUBS! It's tear filling haha

Kitmew
Pirate

Old 08-12-2007, 05:23 PM

x I'm rather used to the Japanese version of Anime, because well...English voices of the characters sound so strange and abnormal to me. I prefer Japanese, also since there voices sound more...Cartoonish? Emotional? Something along those lines, as well as they have English subtitles, then fine with me. :3

Rinali Lee
*^_^*

Old 08-12-2007, 06:38 PM

Eh, I've always hated dubs as far as I can remember. They will never, ever compare with the original.

I suppose you could say some dubs are better than others, but to me, it just doesn't seem "right" unless you watch it in the original. Trust me, there's something to be said if the character can't pronounce his own name.

Another thing I never understood. WHY are the voice actors only so awkward and incredibly stupid when it comes to dubbing anime? You don't see that awkwardness in "American" shows like Powerpuff Girls or whatever.

DeviChiyoko
*^_^*

Old 08-12-2007, 06:50 PM

I prefer my anime in Japanese, English subtitle. I hate dubs.

Death Note has horrible English voice actors.. even just from watching the preview, Im just going to stick with the Jap.
One Piece, 4Kids butchered it. The voice acting to the dubbing. Sanji now has a sucker folks...
and Naruto.. speaks for itself, the voice acting, Gaara sounds like an old man... Dattebayo.

There are too many other animes to name with this type of problem in dubs.
These are the man one I can think of now.

Ryuichi
*^_^*

Old 08-13-2007, 01:17 AM

I can't stand Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya in english.

Something about Kyon's voice just gets to me severely. It's so much more preferably in Japanese.

Actually, in general, I'm enough of a *coughloser to watch all my anime in Japanese, anyway. It just... I like it better that way. I can try and understand it, and I tend to get more of the jokes (like comments about bringing melon as a visiting gift in Azumanga Daioh or stuff like that, which doesn't come across well in English.

Fortunately, I don't tend to like anime which have 4Kids butchering potential, but there's that aspect of it, too. I'd really just like to watch my anime in it's original-ness. No changes.

Nessie
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-13-2007, 06:23 AM

I support subs subs subs! x_x

A lot of recent anime has a lot better dubbing than they did YEARS ago though XD oh god! the memories~ but i still prefer subs since theyre not afraid to use mature words and cursing, which is a bit more realistic when some anime is rather mature.

chai
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-13-2007, 09:17 AM

there are some voice actors who i feel are so perfect for their roles, i can't accept anyone else, haha. it's like, THAT is the way that character should be done, no other way! so when i watch the dub, i can never do it with good conscience because the character just sounds so wrong to me.

the most notable example for me is Edward from FMA. paku romi is just the perfect ed, that vic mignogna pales in comparison. (plus mignogna's personality and actions generally irritate the hell out of me)

oh and also naruto. junko takeuchi is my ideal naruto. her voice is so real that it gives naruto's character a kind of dimensionality that the naruto dub can't ever hope to reproduce.

Tyus
Dead Account Holder

Old 08-13-2007, 01:08 PM

I think every manga/anime is much better in Japanese purely because when things get translated over here, 4kids usually take out most, if not all of the violence and swearing, which sucks. And most of the English voices in anime don't sound as good as the Japanese. But perhaps thats just me xD

Chisaku
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-15-2007, 06:05 PM

All animes seem to be better in japanese! There was a TV show in Sweden that was about a girl working in a circus that was translated, I hated the voices! :x But the Hayao Miyazaki movies are uber great in japanese! <3

` Ebil
Dead Account Holder

Old 08-15-2007, 06:14 PM

I prefer english cause i can read it.

life in red and black
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via AIM to life in red and black Send a message via Yahoo to life in red and black

Old 08-15-2007, 11:14 PM

I love subs since I can't understand japanese.

for example, my neighbor totoro? I watched the chinese version and I found the english voice acting sucked. bad.

Japanese makes it sound more beautiful.

Sometimes, for some characters, they might choose a better voice in english. But those are individual scenarios.

Runihura
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via Yahoo to Runihura

Old 08-16-2007, 12:10 PM

I don't really think it matters. Well, it depends on the dubbing company. A lot of them turn out great. My favorite voice actor is american and I spent a day with lots of voice actors (and High and Mighty Color) XD And they really enjoy/are good at what they do.
And although subs can just be plain awful sometimes most of the animes turn out good both ways ^^ I switch it up after comparing after a few eps.

Liz
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to Liz Send a message via Yahoo to Liz

Old 08-16-2007, 06:25 PM

I relly heard them in English or Japanese with subtitle or Spanish!!

But I like to see them more in English!!

Sometimes Japanese just to learn some words!!! XD

The Only animes that I saw in Spanish was Ranma!!! T_T

Runihura
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via Yahoo to Runihura

Old 08-17-2007, 12:40 AM

It is fun to try to learn japanese from subs xD
I learned "shut up" as "urasai-wana" from that ^^