Sandra
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 04-24-2007, 06:52 PM

Have you guys tried to learn Japanese simply because you want to read the latest manga or understanding the anime without watching subtitles?

I for one would love to be able to read Japanese manga.
So yes, I would definitely love to learn Japanese and maybe if I have time Korean.

Aeris
Mistress of Materia!

Old 04-24-2007, 07:09 PM

While my love for learning japanese first began because of my introduction to manga and anime, that is not why I stick with it. I really love the language, and I find it to be really tough and fun.

Though right now I feel like I suck. XD

htownwera13
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-24-2007, 07:19 PM

Yeah I want to learn Japaneese because I dont want to read subtitles.,and because I love the language :D

stilettolover
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to stilettolover

Old 04-24-2007, 08:46 PM

Before I went to Japan I watched a ton of anime without subtitles to see if I could really pick out words and sentances I understood. I did the same thing when I was learning Spanish--I would watch the Spanish channel all the time. It didn't help me to learn the language, but it helped me pick out words so I could whip out my dictionary and figure stuff out. xD It helped a TON.

Otherwise, not really. I find the language way too hard for me to ever truly understand. As it was enough people spoke English that I got around Tokyo just fine without ever having to really try and speak Japanese. I got lost one time and I tried to get directions from a shop owner that didn't speak English--but a passerby who did stopped and pointed me in the right direction.

morph
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-25-2007, 01:31 AM

yes partially because of anime and manga. but besides that i've learned lot of different culture and compared to where i live [ US ] it very different. maybe that why im so attracted to the language and the culture. i think i would also like to speak/read Chinese and Korean as well. [ im taking chinese next year cause my high school is offering it for a first time ^.^ and it sounds interesting ] also i would be nice to be able to listen to an anime [ or a japanese song ] and understand what they are saying. plus i would really like to go to japan :D [ note im currently in the process of trying to teach myself japanese and i know only a few basics for speaking. ]

Ryuichi
*^_^*

Old 04-25-2007, 09:35 PM

It did--does.
Sort of.
I've been into manga--anime for years now (literally) and a couple of years ago, my mother decided to foster the interest and found me a Japanese tutor to learn the language.
I'm still learning it, and it's really complex, but it's so enjoyable to pick up on things in anime that I wouldn't have otherwise, or to read sound effects in manga (the main way I practice katakana xD) or to understand what singers are singing.

Flaregon
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 04-26-2007, 09:13 PM

Yes then I could watch raw un-subbed anime.

Kongouseki
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 04-26-2007, 09:18 PM

yes. i've been trying to learn it so i dont have to look at subtitles. when i first started watching anime, i started thinking about learning Japanese. but now, i'm wanting to learn more than Japanese.

Flaregon
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 04-26-2007, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kongouseki
yes. i've been trying to learn it so i dont have to look at subtitles. when i first started watching anime, i started thinking about learning Japanese. but now, i'm wanting to learn more than Japanese.
Ok that hurts your eyes :shock: .

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 04-27-2007, 02:23 AM

Japanese is one of those languages which is becoming increasingly popular, I really like learning new phrases and stuff, and my brother and I occasionally use these phrases instead of English, I guess so we remember them. So while I don't particularly make a huge effort to learn the language I do prefer to watch anime in Japanese with English subtitles so that I can probably learn new phrases. :D

blueblackrose
Take my darkest fears and play t...

Penpal
Send a message via MSN to blueblackrose

Old 04-27-2007, 05:33 AM

I would love to learn Japanese not only because I love anime and manga, but it would also help me in the career field I want to get into.

Jitsumi1221
(◎_◎;)
Send a message via AIM to Jitsumi1221 Send a message via MSN to Jitsumi1221 Send a message via Yahoo to Jitsumi1221

Old 04-27-2007, 04:44 PM

i joined japanese class in college at first because i was really interested in the culture (partly because of manga) but then later found that i'd rather stick to the romantic languages since i can understand all of them better ^^; japanese just wasnt my strong point.

Alegretto
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Alegretto Send a message via MSN to Alegretto

Old 04-27-2007, 05:22 PM

Manga and anime partially inspired me. It's main influence was actually from third grade, when we did this one big unit on Japan. I though it was cool, but have never really been able to have a chance to learn it.

Now my older brother is planning to take me to Japan in about two years. >.> I seriously need to crack down on it now.

I also want to learn it so I can scanslate doujin and hentai. :D

Botan neko
Dead Account Holder
n/a
Send a message via MSN to Botan neko Send a message via Yahoo to Botan neko

Old 04-27-2007, 06:42 PM

Seeing several animes with japanese sound background got me
curious, and was happy to read some translation of japanese words
in some mangas <333333

Fruits basket manga helpped as it is in its original japanese format,
which the they kindly put the translation of the japanese sound either
in the back page or next to the words itself.

Love to learn just so i can sing to my favourite japanese songs you
hear on animes X3

grilled
n/a

Old 05-02-2007, 03:46 AM

I wanted to learn chinese watching too much hour asia in discovery, when that failed I decided to learn Japanese instead, I just thought it'd be much easier. Then I started watching anime and it made me wanna learn japanese even more. That was years ago. I still watch anime and I still don't speak japanese.

Skada
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via MSN to Skada

Old 05-02-2007, 03:10 PM

I never thought of it being directly related, but now that I think about it, I probably wouldn't have gone into a Japanese oriented asian studies program for college if I hadn't already been Otaku...

Zurie
ʘ‿ʘ
n/a

Old 05-02-2007, 04:57 PM

• I used to be interested in learning Japanese purely because I watched anime/manga, but that interest has died. The only reason I'd want to learn Japanese would be for my future in Computer Animation. Y'never know who you'll meet from what part of the world in that career field, so it'd be best to learn at least conversational stuff from each language eventually. xD

IshokuOsero
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to IshokuOsero Send a message via MSN to IshokuOsero Send a message via Yahoo to IshokuOsero

Old 05-03-2007, 05:10 AM

That's part of the reason why I want to learn - because every time I go up to Mitsuwa and see the manga in the bookstore there, I think to myself "oh jeez, 4 dollars per manga, I really need to learn the language quicker so I can buy them this way!"

But a huge part of the fact I'm trying to learn right now is because I have friends in Japan, and they're trying to learn English. xD So we're helping each other out the best we can so when we visit each other, we know what we're saying when we're out sightseeing~

poo.
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via MSN to poo.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:28 PM

Oh, very much so. This is because it becomes agonizing for me sometimes, when I have to wait for the publishers (ie:Tokyopo) to translate the next volumes for series when the volume (or even more) is already out in Japanese. ;3; If I knew japanese, I would be able to buy the manga online and then read it in japanese, rather than having to wait for the english version (which tends to take forever for some series). >3333<; JAPANESE IS SOSO COOL BY ITSELF EVEN IF I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT MANGAS.

Ancasta
(¬º-°)¬

Old 05-04-2007, 10:59 PM

No, because as much as I like manga and anime, I've never really had an interest in Japanese culture or history. I don't plan on visiting the country, and I don't have an urgent need to communicate in the language.

So until I learn Spanish and German, I don't foresee my taking a crack at Japanese any time soon.

King Leer
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-05-2007, 07:39 AM

The urge to learn Japanese came before I was a big fan of anime/manga. (When I was little my dad lived in Japan, and as a fairly fluent speaker of the language, tried to pass some of it on to me. It's so hard for me to pick up new languages (I fail at French especially).)

Needless to say I don't know as much as I would like to, but it would be nice to learn someday though I don't see it ever actually happening.

Naeru
(^._.^)ノ

Old 05-05-2007, 02:16 PM

Yes, because I HATE dubs. Dubbed anime just sucks.

And the culture and music is so cool. I really want to understand Hikki's songs better, lol.

Morien
*^_^*

Old 05-05-2007, 02:51 PM

Yes.

I started out wanting to learn it because I wanted to read obscure manga. And then later I wanted to learn so that I could play Sakura Taisen. And now, I still want to do both, but I also really enjoy the language.

Candiie
(◎_◎;)

Old 05-05-2007, 03:38 PM

yes actually!
watching anime makes me so curious to learn japanese. but i still gotta learn alot since i only know a few words and the strangest thing i can say the japanese words but i can't write them DX thats just really strange but ya, anime encourages me to learn japanese so much, and the language is so awesome~ and its better to learn japanese because the dubs are soooo bad DX like in bleach, i thought toshirou hitsugaya would sound really cute in the dubbed version, but instead he sounded really gay >.>, he kinda sounds like zaraki in dubbed but with a lower tone Dx

Xunlyn
n/a
Send a message via AIM to Xunlyn Send a message via MSN to Xunlyn Send a message via Yahoo to Xunlyn

Old 05-06-2007, 03:18 AM

I...actualy started liking anime after it was introduced to the class by our Japanese teacher. I can say that now part of my motivation in learning Japanese is from liking to understand anime, but also largely because of the university course that I want to get into. So being able to watch anime as it comes out in Japan is just a nice perk :P

But be carefull, too. Anime uses a lot of colloquial and informal Japanese as well as some areas of the language that they will never teach you in a class. Usualy classes start by teaching a quite formal, standard version of Japanese wheras anime uses fun stuff like plain form and different dialects. So if you start learning Japanese, it may be a few years before you actualy start to understand this stuff. Also, the nature of Japanese requres a lot of dedicated study and effort, so dont start learning unless you think you realy will enjoy it.