Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-13-2013, 12:41 AM

I'm trying so hard to become a runner. So hard. But geez, guys, running is not an easy pastime to get into!

I'd ideally love to complete a half-marathon by this time next year and a full marathon within the next 3 years. This means that I'm gradually getting used to running longer distances and not dying afterwards. Right now I'm lucky if I can make it through a 10k without stopping (that's about 6.2 miles).

Does anyone else run? Have you guys competed in any long races? Got some words of wisdom?

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 09-20-2013, 02:57 AM

i hope you reach your goals, Knerd
i have never reached a 'runner's high'

Kylie
The Original Angel - Member 620

Old 09-20-2013, 03:25 AM

Edit: Wtf when did you become assistant admin? :o

Practice, practice, practice.

Conditioning yourself for an actual run is really crucial and it takes about a month to build up the stamina to be a 'marathon' runner.

Some very key things I have learned over the years:
  • GOOD SHOES. This is the killer. Any sort of marathon training, or even recreational running, you need good shoes. Having the right footwear will make the difference between injuries (both short term and chronic) and success. Good shoes will also wear out in about 6 months so keep that in mind!
  • Hydration is huge - keeping hydrated the night before a practice or otherwise run (16 oz of water) and the morning of a run, (16 oz of water) is essential. That and keeping 6-8 oz of water in you every 20 minutes of running is also very important.

Beyond that, the four steps will help keep you in tip top running shape before actually committing to your run. Practicing these will get you in a good habit before attempting a marathon.
  • General warm up -
    The general warm up should consist of a light physical activity. Both the intensity and duration of the general warm up (or how hard and how long), should be dictated by how fit you are. Generally you're aiming for 5-10 minutes.

The whole idea is to get your heart beating, this will allow more blood to flow and wake your muscles up. This gets them ready to actually stretch.

• Static stretching -
    Static stretching is your safe and basic stretch. Pretty much the risk of injury is nonexistent and the benefits are huge. Try to hit all the major muscle groups.

• Sport specific warm up -
    If you're doing a certain sport that puts more pressure on a certain part of the body, make sure you give extra love to that area.

• Dynamic stretching -
    Dynamic stretching involves a controlled, soft bounce or swinging motion to force a particular body part past its usual range of movement. You gradually will increase the movement, but never let it get out of control or you risk seriously injuring yourself.

There are a million other things that I can get into as well, but for now that's all I have time to write.

How to train for a marathon or half marathon

Will help you immensely in getting started!

More questions? Ask! Goodluck!

Last edited by Kylie; 09-20-2013 at 03:29 AM..

Bartuc
Sky Pirate

Old 09-20-2013, 04:11 AM

I run, but I hate it. lol My goal was to run the Boston Marathon this next year but, due to surgeries and recovery from them I have to postpone it until 2015. That is my plan though ^^;

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-20-2013, 11:58 PM

I don't think I've ever met someone who actually likes running. Even the most avid runners seem to curse it under their breath.

Thanks for all the advice, Kylie! Lots of that is stuff I've heard before, but it's always a great reminder. It's easy to forget about the basics.

ClockReject
(^・o・^)ノ”

Penpal

Old 09-21-2013, 12:14 AM

I wish I didn't feel so deterred from running,
I mean, I give myself the excuses that it's too hot in the summer,
and how am I suppose to run in the winter with snow.
But I don't actually mind running when I do run.

Kylie
The Original Angel - Member 620

Old 09-21-2013, 09:49 AM

Running is one of those things thats just hard to get into, but once you do its fucking amazing.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-10-2013, 12:39 AM

So now that the weather is cooling off, I'm finally starting to tackle some longer runs! It's so much easier to get outside and actually keep it up for longer than a few minutes. I only did short runs during the summer, because I'd get frustrated from overheating and feeling dehydrated. But today, I did a 5 mile run without any problem. The cool weather makes such a huge difference.

Mogwai
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-17-2013, 09:10 AM

I began running 3 days ago, after I haven't moved my body for a whole year. Even after the third day I began noticing changes in the way my body is handling the running - it's getting a tiny bit easier each time.

It's still VERY hard for me, but i'm not giving up! Even if all my body is itching to stop running and take my breath, i'm not stopping until I reach my goal.

I do 3 intervals in a row of 10 mins each - 1:30 min quick pacing 6km/h, 6:30 min running 8km/h, and the last 2 mins are 10km/h, and after the 10 min I start all over again.

That way I reach 4km in 30 mins.

I hope I could be able to run 40 minutes soon. I can't yet, my body is too exhausted after 30 min so i'm taking it easy for now.

I love running, i'm so happy my treadmill is fixed! I love seeing my progress.

JChanOfTheCan
Gingernuts

Old 10-25-2013, 03:19 PM

i actually want to start running, as i noticed whenever i play football or do something strenuous i'm out of breath in 2-3 minutes. its probably a good idea to quit smoking first. xD
are there any workouts or stuff like that for people with shitty conditions? like a prelude to running? or should i just start running and see where that gets me?

Mogwai
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-25-2013, 05:57 PM

^ Listen to your body - if you feel you wanna slow down, so slow down. If you feel you can run quicker, so run quicker. It is actually very healthy to run at different speeds. And of course, before you start running, perhaps try quick pacing first, depends on what you say by "shitty conditions.." also, it is very important to do 5 minute stretching before and after the running.

My second week - I felt I could run more, so I stretched the running to 5.5km in 40 mins (: next week it's gonna be even more.
Did I mention that I love seeing my progress in running?

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-26-2013, 02:09 AM

Have you ever heard of Couch-to-5k? It's a pretty basic program for new runners, sticking to their plan can help you make a lot of progress within only a few weeks.

Pistachio_Moustache
Thief of Your Intellectual Prope...

Penpal

Old 10-26-2013, 02:02 PM

I've been wanting to get into running for a while, but with my exercise induced asthma, it's hard. So, I usually walk, and occasionally jog.
But last night, I just felt like running. The cool air was helpful to my lungs, and I actually ran. Didn't run too far, seeing how it was ten o' clock at night, and someone's house had caught fire, and there were a ton of firefighters.

It felt really good to be running! I'd do it again today if it weren't so cold to my son. I usually take him on my walks.

Pistachio_Moustache

Penpal

Old 11-01-2013, 04:19 PM

I'm going to try out the Couch to 5k program. I want to run a 5k soon.

Mogwai
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-06-2013, 11:57 PM

progressed to a 6k in 43 mins (: feeling great!

Last edited by Mogwai; 11-07-2013 at 12:10 AM..

Pistachio_Moustache

Penpal

Old 11-19-2013, 06:59 PM

I was running for a good solid five days in a row, then injured my foot on the fifth day. Haven't been able to run, really. Except for yesterday, when I had to. Made it worse, though.

Re-reading that makes it seem as if I was running for five days, non-stop. Haha, no.
Run about a mile to a mile and a half a day.
I'm new at this, lol.

Last edited by Pistachio_Moustache; 11-19-2013 at 07:07 PM..

Mogwai
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-06-2013, 02:02 PM

6.5km in 43 mins. (: I want to try and run 7km in less than 40 mins ^__^ then i'll know i've progressed ALOT.

And...I started running only around 1.5 months ago.

Also, I was running 5 days a week, but it's too much for me. I get blisters on my feet and it feels too much for me. So I reduced it to 3 days a week. That way I can have a day off between runs, and i'll have more strength to progress with my running.

Last edited by Mogwai; 12-06-2013 at 02:04 PM..

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 12-10-2013, 08:51 PM

That's awesome, Mogwai! ~7k in 40-45 minutes is a pretty good time, you're at least hitting the 10 min/mile mark.

Right now I'm getting frustrated because New York weather never cooperates. It was blazing hot all summer, so I couldn't run outside, and now everything is icy! I feel like I've only had 2-3 good months this year where it was comfortable to run outside. Treadmills get boring after a while, I just want sunshine and a light breeze!

Mogwai
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-11-2013, 10:48 PM

^ thank you very much! I'm motivated because I love how my body feels after the workout. I feel strong, free, in a way.
Although treadmill is really boring after a while, I still love to run. True, there are days that I feel I dont want to run, but I know that when I finish it i'll be glad that I did it.

I feel much better when I move my body. It has been too long that I didn't move my body AT ALL for more than a yeah and I felt so bad about myself... Physical workout IS the best therapy XD

Mogwai
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-24-2013, 07:35 PM

A little bit of progress (: 6.4 km in 40 mins. wasn't easy, i'll tell ya.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-16-2014, 06:23 PM

So I want to run outdoors more often and actually have an accurate measure of my times, so I've been thinking about buying one of these nifty things:

A Garmin Forerunner 10

It's a GPS watch that measures the distance you've run, the total time, split times, and allows you to map out your route online afterwards. Only problem is that it costs money.

Has anyone else used a GPS watch? Most of them are crazy expensive and have all sorts of functions that are only useful if you're a hardcore runner, so I'm finding it tough to justify buying one of them.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-28-2014, 12:03 AM

The weather is sloooooowly warming up - Anyone else getting the itch to run more often?

Pistachio_Moustache

Penpal

Old 03-28-2014, 03:37 PM

I have been, but I sprained my foot by WALKING.
Wth.
I keep being randomly injured!
D:

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-28-2014, 06:34 PM

That stinks! You've got a pretty good excuse for taking it easy, then. Wouldn't want you to make it any worse by running on an ankle that's already injured.

Pistachio_Moustache

Penpal

Old 03-28-2014, 07:31 PM

No, my foot.
My arch got injured. Like wth.
xDD