Rhys Luna Emweise
Nightstalker

Old 11-21-2016, 11:33 PM

Belle fixed a smile upon her face, though she felt little joy at seeing the man who would be her husband one day. "Vadim, welcome." She said stiffly, though her smile softened a little as he pulled out the roses. She took them, careful of the thorns. "Thank you... And how could I not? Mother only reminds constantly of how I need to be more ladylike, if I'm ever to uphold her and my father's deal with you, and become your wife." She said, the smile falling away at the thought. She turned, and headed for the house, taking the feed bucket with her. "Would you care for some breakfast? I'm sure it's almost ready..." She said, not waiting for his reply as she walked away. She wanted to get inside, before both she and the roses froze.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 11-22-2016, 01:01 AM

Vadim's smile fell away as well, though only because he had little reason to keep smiling. It wasn't that her words struck him in any sort of way. He glanced at her dress again, following its line down to her ankles. She resembled a harvestbell like those that grew along the road in shady places. "I am glad of it," he murmured, though he didn't know if he cared or not if Belle turned more lady-like. His first instinct would be to say yes, like he had been raised, but he found the hint of bite in her voice interesting. He did not like humans any longer so he reveled in the possibility of fight with them. This he did not say though and instead turned to follow her as much as a part of him didn't want to. "That dress becomes you, but you shouldn't wear it outside. You're too careless. Put proper stockings on after breakfast."

Rhys Luna Emweise
Nightstalker

Old 11-22-2016, 01:10 AM

Belle gave a little snort of laughter. "You believe I would have chosen this dress on my own to go out in this chill to do farm work?" She asked, looking at him as if he'd grown a second head. "Mother didn't give me the option of anything else, as you were coming to visit today. She thinks I need to impress you, or something." She said as she let Vadim inside. She removed her coat and boots once inside, and led Vadim to the kitchen, where her mother was just serving up breakfast for the three of them.

Looking up at the voices, Giselle was surprised to see Vadim. "Ah, good morning, Lord Vadim." Giselle said, setting down the pot and giving a slight curtsey. "You're here awfully early... Would you care for breakfast?"

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 11-22-2016, 01:29 AM

Vadim found himself smiling, far more to his surprise than anyone else's. This was no fiendish look or something meant to cow. It came out unbidden at Belle's words, like she actually amused him. "Then it is your mother I must chide," he almost chuckled. With her back to him though, at least Belle couldn't see his smile. It was too real and seconds later, he already cleared it from his face.

As they entered the house and then the kitchen, he let his steps surpass Belle's so that he could look her parents right in the eyes. "Good morning, my dear friends," he hummed, his voice all beastly velvet. "I have no interest in breakfast, but I will take a bite since I am here." He, unlike Belle, did not remove his coat, but simply shifted it around his shoulders to adjust to the warmer inside. Not that he minded the cold, finding it familiar. He sniffed at one of the breakfast pots with mild interest, then took a seat at the table.

Rhys Luna Emweise
Nightstalker

Old 11-22-2016, 01:44 AM

Marius had returned inside just before Bellle and Vadim, and was already in the kitchen when they arrived. He merely gave a quick hello before turning to the bowl set before him.

Giselle forced a smile and served another bowl of porridge with nuts and honey for Vadim, setting it in front of the young man. She passed Belle a bowl as well, before spotting the roses her child held. "Oh, those are beautiful.:. Belle, do be a dear and get them a vase before they wilt." She said, before Belle could start eating.

Belle forced herself to keep her mouth shut as she did what her mother ordered. She resented her mother far more for the arrangement than her father. He was merely trying to save their lives. Her mother on the other hand, had only her own life in mind, not caring at all about Marius or Belle. Likely she had only been thinking about what they could gain by promising their daughter to Vadim. Of course, Belle had no idea what the young lord was.

Once the roses were in a vase and set upon the counter, Belle returned to the table and sat, beginning to eat her breakfast.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 11-24-2016, 04:00 AM

Taking the bowl he was offered, Vadim swirled his spoon through it though his eyes were on Belle. He didn't say it, but he preferred the roses outside of a vase, better yet in Belle's hands. How unreasonable since he felt sad his mother's treasured flowers grew likes weeds. She would like them to be civilized. Except, the greater part of Vadim that was civilized had already wilted. Eyes slid to the mother finally. "Aren't you the gracious host?" he murmured, his voice implying other things. Because like his voice, her tone held implications different from the words. He thought at first that the father was the one he needed to control, but now he saw it was the mother.

Once again, he was consumed with the desire to grab Belle's arm and drag her away with him, thrown over the back of his horse. But he said he would visit every year until she turned sixteen and this was only the first. He, no matter what desires rushed up in him, intended to keep to that. After a bite of the porridge that he didn't taste, he addressed Belle. "How old are you now?"

Rhys Luna Emweise
Nightstalker

Old 11-25-2016, 02:07 PM

"I just turned thirteen a few weeks ago." She replied, taking small bites of her porridge. Despite being hungry, she knew her mother would throw a fit if she acted in any way besides 'that befitting of a lady'. Thirteen... that left only three more years until she would go to live with Vadim and become his 'wife'. Belle worried over what would happen when that day happened. After all, her life was a lie.

Born a boy, while her father was away at war, her mother had raised Belle, or rather, Beau, as a girl. No one else knew aside from Giselle and the midwife who had delivered Belle... And the midwife had no intention of ever telling anyone, either. The thought had never occured to Belle to admit that shameful secret to anyone either, though it could save her from a life of being married off to whomever her parents thought best.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 11-26-2016, 01:31 AM

Vadim hummed softly, though sound resembled his growl to those who knew it. Thirteen. She was still many years younger than him and he wanted to force it to not be so. Thirteen was almost old enough to be wife though. Almost. he turned away from Belle to hide his own faint frown. "Ah, is that so? Then I wish you a belated birthday. Thirteen is a glorious age..." He trailed off again, even his proper social training failing him to find anything worth saying. He didn't know why he joined them for breakfast in the first place. He had no interest in this food or their company. Even Belle that he longed for did not please him much right now. He pushed back his chair, leaving the almost full bowl of porridge upon the table. "But I'm afraid that I cannot stay the entire morning."

Rhys Luna Emweise
Nightstalker

Old 11-26-2016, 01:36 AM

Belle frowned, though her parents both looked slightly relieved. Having finished her porridge already, she stood as well, taking both their bowls and setting them on the counter, since it seemed Vadim wasn't staying. "I'll show you out, then, if you must be going..." She said, heading for the front door while her parents remained at the table.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 11-26-2016, 02:04 AM

Vadim grinned. In reality, he had been about to suggest the same thing, wanting time with Belle and Belle alone. Though he still wondered what it would be like to live with another human being after all this time and for that being to be a wife not a parent. He never imagined marrying young though he knew no other choices existed for him. He gestured toward the door, his coat accenting the gesture as he let her pass in front of him. "Of course. After you," he murmured. Even with the eyes of both parents on them, he kept his focus entirely on Belle. As they reached the doorway, he took her hand and guided her out and away from prying eyes. There, he lifted her hand to his lips, giving it a kiss. "Until next year then?"

Rhys Luna Emweise
Nightstalker

Old 11-26-2016, 02:12 AM

She'd barely had a chance to grab her coat and put her boots on before being led outside where her parents wouldn't be able to see them from the windows. Belle shivered slightly, the cold only being partially to blame.

"Must you go so soon? I was hoping to have a chance to learn more about you..." she said, more than slightly disappointed. She didn't pull away, not knowing there was much about the handsome young man in front of her that she ought to fear.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 11-26-2016, 11:10 PM

Vadim hesitated on the doorstep. He too did not wish to rush off entirely. He did not intend to stay either, just say a long good bye. It was a strange thought considering he kept vacillating between wanting to steal Belle away and turning his nose in disgust at her youth. He lowered her hand, but did not drop it after his kiss. Faintly, he kept hold of her fingers with a softness that he didn't notice and certainly wouldn't recognize in himself if he did. "Isn't it enough that you will be with me in three years time?" he asked, making sure to keep his princely tone intact. The smile he flashed though didn't quite reach his eyes. "I don't need you to know everything, anyway. I just need you to know who you will belong to."

Rhys Luna Emweise
Nightstalker

Old 11-27-2016, 12:17 AM

"No, it is not." Belle narrowed her eyes, and pulled away from Vadim. "Well, in that case, be on your way. I don't wish to know someone who would only see their future wife as property." She said, turning to head back inside. The audacity of some people. Really. Because it wasn't enough that her parents wanted to sell her off, no. Of course they'd trade her for their own lives to some selfish prick who would only see her as some piece of property.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 11-28-2016, 02:38 AM

Vadim's eyes narrowed with rage for a second, but he pulled back as well, almost snapping to realization of what he might do. Would he really hit Belle if she did not agree with him? He wasn't that kind of person. He hadn't been raised cruelly or selfish. He just...it wasn't supposed to go this way. Shaking his head at the inner turmoil that had taken over him, he took another step back. "Very well, then," he managed. His voice was taught with the emotions he restrained. It sounded far more harsh because of it and yet painfully polite. He made a stiff bow and spun away, leaving Belle with her back already turned to him. He considered staying and spending time with her, but now it was impossible. He swung himself onto his horse and was off, taking the long ride home at a full gallop.

Rhys Luna Emweise
Nightstalker

Old 11-28-2016, 03:11 AM

When Vadim spun around and headed for his horse, Belle turned back and was about to go after him, but it was too late. He was already gone. She felt something trickle down her cheek, and reached up to wipe it away, realizing that she was crying. She headed back inside, avoiding her parents as she rushed to her room. She only barely kept herself from slamming the door in her haste, knowing it would draw her parents' attention, before flinging herself upon her bed, continuing to cry quietly to herself. She was sure she had ruined everything, sure that now Vadim wouldn't want her.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 11-28-2016, 09:22 PM

Everything was going wrong, so very wrong indeed. Vadim growled, crashing a fist into the wood of a grandfather clock. His human hand did little damage, but the claw marks light on the woods surface spoke of many other nights. Pain blossomed and he staggered back. Why couldn't he just have Belle and have her love him as well? It was impossible though. He knew who he was. Nothing he did as a human 'prince' could change the outcome in three years time. Belle would not love him, so he must make her marry him by force. It was the deal he set up after all. Why must it pain his heart? Because a witch deemed him selfish, he became the role. Vadim paced away, aghast that he was wasting his time as human, but also unable to do anything but hide away. He couldn't understand though, why her refusal mattered so much. Next year, he would just have to do much better. Next year...there was always next year.

Rhys Luna Emweise
Nightstalker

Old 11-28-2016, 09:45 PM

((Quick question- does he only visit once a year because thats the only day he's human? Or does he transform more often?))

Belle spent much of her day sulking, not quite sure why Vadim's attitude hurt her so much. She'd had other men express interest in her, physically, and act like she was merely some prize. So why did Vadim's attitude matter? It shouldn't, but it did, and it confused and upset the poor child. She wished Vadim would have stayed, so they could actually get to know one another.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 11-28-2016, 11:30 PM

(we set it up so he shifts every month but there's no need to visit that often so I just did that every year. I'm just going to go ahead and summarize the rest so we can get to the main part of the story.)

Another year passed in much the same way as the last. Vadim fell into bouts of anxiousness and moody weeks spent barely moving from in front of the broken glass frame that held a family picture in his room. Other nights he hunted like a madman until winter buried the woods in too much ice to fine more than voles. Thin and hungry themselves, he felt glad for the vast stores inside the manor. Otherwise, he might starve. It was much like that that the remaining years passed.

Like before, when March came, Vadim rode out. The winters grew more gentle and left flowers growing along the roadside. His mood too, improved. Anxiety plagued him more and more in the time they were apart, but it was a different sort of anxiousness. He worried, he feared. He did not rage or torment himself about more than the day that Belle would come live with him. With each of their meetings, the two got a little bit closer. He stayed longer at times, letting the two of them talk out in the gardens or while Belle did her chores. Breakfast became regular and less of an ending point. They met only a few times, but in those times, they learned more about each other than they imagined. Vadim even revealed his laugh which sounded rusty and forgotten and lasted only a brief second. Still, it happened. Vadim thought that he might even have grown to like this blonde haired girl that was to be his.

So, when the final March first came to be, he saddled his horse at first light like the years before and took off. He found himself slowing to admire the countryside for the first time. No reason came to mind for it, but he felt deep in his thoughts then entire ride. Finally, he came within view of the farm. Belle reached the age of sixteen and like promised, he came to take her home. She may not like it, but he hoped that she might. Dismounting his horse, he steeled himself for the impending confrontation.

Rhys Luna Emweise
Nightstalker

Old 11-29-2016, 12:57 AM

That winter in between fifteen and sixteen, while mild, had been a rough one for Belle and her family. Her mother, having fallen ill in the late autumn, had passed away, leaving this hole in their family and their hearts, despite Belle's loathing for the woman.

Belle still looked much like she had the first year Vadim had come to visit- small leaning towards scrawny, in almost every sense, alough she's lost a bit of the baby-fat from her face, leaving her slightly more slender than she had been. Much to everyone's confusion, she'd failed to 'blossom' like many young girls her age, though her mother had assured her father that it would happen, and that Belle was merely a late bloomer. Her mother had also given her some sort of potion, one that would prevent her voice from dropping and her body hair from coming in too thickly, and in unwanted places-such as her face. Nobody was the wiser of her little secret, of which she was now the only keeper. She knew it would only be a matter of time before Vadim learned the truth-after all, it was expected that they would consummate their wedding night.

Belle had packed all her most precious belongings, and was saying goodbye to her father, silently hoping he'd tell her it had all been one crazy dream, that she didn't need to go with Vadim when he arrived. As close as the two had become, Belle still didn't want to leave her childhood home, especially when her father needed her now, more than ever.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 11-30-2016, 03:40 AM

Unlike other years where Vadim sought Belle out in the open to converse with alone, he went straight to the door this time. Much of the comfortable energy that cloaked him now lay forgotten unlike the maroon piece of cloth that never once left his shoulders in these years of visits. Today, he was all business. He knocked, waiting for a few seconds before letting himself in the half-open door where he saw Belle with her father. After all, there was nothing stopping this force, so why hide behind his cloak of gentility? Though he found it wasn't all a cloak. It had started to come naturally. "I see you have been getting ready for me. Are you ready, Belle?" Gaze on her, he showed it was only her opinion that had any claim at all.

Rhys Luna Emweise
Nightstalker

Old 11-30-2016, 11:59 AM

"Hello Vadim..." She said, forcing a smile, though continued sadly. "Not particularly... Though I suppose I don't have much of a choice..." She gave her father one last hug, promising to come back and visit. She picked up her luggage, just two bags- one with her clothing, the other with her most valuable possessions. "How will we be travelling?"

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 11-30-2016, 05:59 PM

Looking over Belle, he decided that she was still quite a small thing. She had not become a promising woman, but in every other way, her beauty only blossomed. With the loss of the last bits of baby fat, the girl's face looked more striking, even her eyes accented by the edges of her cheek bones. Vadim let his eyes glance over them before responding. "I have a second horse with me. He may carry you and your belongings, or you may ride on my stallion with me." The lack of inflection remained in his voice, but way he shifted his coat about his shoulders revealed slightly more unease than he intended. "I assure you, my home is a place befitting someone of your beauty." At least, it had been before his curse. Now, he could only spin pretty lies.

Rhys Luna Emweise
Nightstalker

Old 11-30-2016, 06:27 PM

Belle nodded, glad she'd dressed sensibly, anticipating that she might be on horseback. As much as her mother had frowned upon it, Belle loved horseback riding, and took every opportunity she could to be outside on one of them. "I can ride on my own." She said, heading outside with Vadim to get her bags secured on the back of the horse before mounting.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 11-30-2016, 06:46 PM

Vadim's lips pursed, but he did not contradict Belle. In fact, he had no intention of forcing anything more than coming to the manor with him. "Very well," he hummed and turned away. There was no point in arguing it anyway even if he liked the idea of her riding in front of him on the great stallion that once was the prized treasure of his father's stables. Not yet a master of horses like his father, all but the best he freed to run wild in the woods. After grabbing some of the bags to secure them, he turned his attention back to Belle. "I will give you one minute to say your good byes. Then we must go...ah." He paused, pulling something down from his horse. "And your final payment of roses." He dumped the bucket filled to the rim with brilliant blossoms onto the ground in front of the house, his last farewell to it.

Rhys Luna Emweise
Nightstalker

Old 11-30-2016, 08:13 PM

Belle noticed the look Vadim gave her when she said she would ride on her own, but said nothing about it. She gave her father one final hug, then mounted the horse Vadim had brought extra. "My mother would have liked the roses..." She said softly, giving a small, sad smile. Despite their differences the last few years, she missed her mother.