Paperling

Old 11-03-2013, 03:18 PM

I have little experience with art, so this first attempt involved a lot of guesswork. I was hoping to eventually submit some tops for the newbie shop, but then I realized I've got a long way to go until then.

So this is my current work in progress. Would anyone like to help me improve?

I thought I'd try recoloring also so that I could get advice on coloring while we're at it.

Thanks in advance~

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 11-03-2013, 03:26 PM

you will get a lot of help, paperling
good luck, sweetie!
you can add some reserved posts
just use the 'go advanced' button
tick/click the 'over ride double posts' box
add as many posts as you think you will need
more is always better than not having enough.
have posts for works in progress, works submitted,
works accepted*think positively!*, and anything else you think you may need

Libra
the Galaxy Fairy
Mini Pixelite

Old 11-04-2013, 08:04 PM

I think it's a good start! You'll only get better by pixeling more, whether that's clothes, hair, objects, etc.

Definitely keep working on the shading, the fabric is a little shiny and tight, making it look like a wet suit, also another thing that would be good to add would be some folds. It makes the piece look more interesting. I'd say look at a picture of whatever fabric you're using and use it as a reference. That always helped me.

Here are some reference pics I came up with:

Yellow lace tank
Flowing pink tank
Tight white top
Tiny jersey

The tighter something is: the more horizontal the folds.
The louser something is: the more vertical the folds.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it's better to use a palette already being used on Mene, so that once someone buys an article, they can use it even after they get more clothes! Maria has them conveniently posted some in her thread here. Usually I use the 2 darkest colors for only the outline, and shade the article with the 4 lighter colors. The item looks much cleaner when there is a definite outline to the piece.

Keep posting updates on this top! I want to see where this goes for sure!

hilarbees
2122-6101-0161 - N3DS
Send a message via MSN to hilarbees

Old 01-13-2014, 08:07 PM

Ooh yes! I hope you will continue making them as well! :) I'm new to this as well, and I haven't even posted anything up yet... But let's grow together! And I actually like these items just the way they are, so I guess I don't have enough experience to be doing critiques yet ! ^o^;