Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 03-02-2014, 02:26 PM

I was pinged!

Hello there ombreuse! You have some nice things going so far! I'm not going to comment on your first dress as the light source was already addressed and you say you are going to fix that...so I'll comment on the ball gown instead.

The shape is really lovely. We don't have a big fluffy ballgown like that yet so it's cool to see. I'm glad someone pinged me here to see your stuff! I loooove to make dresses for the mene avatars!!! And you have some lovely ideas!

Take a look at where I circled below:

It looks like a chunk was "eaten" from the boob area...it should be a nice smooth progression from under the armpit to up the boob.

Also, I'm looking at your highlights and it's just a few random pixels thrown in here or there. I would look for a way to integrate the highlights more as it almost looks like they were accidentally placed down.

I'm looking at your recolors. Might I suggest some more "tame" palettes to recolor in? Some of the palettes on the mene palette board are REALLY contrasty and honestly need to be redone (will be my summer project actually). If you use more palettes that are "new" it might help tone down the contrastedness....palettes like sage and petrol and merlot and regal and sparrow and charcoal and floral might be a bit less "in your face" with the highlights and contrastedness. (to give you some history - some of the palettes have been around since mene began in 2007...we have since decided toning some of them down might look better - so I usually use the mene palette guide as a guideline but adjust the pixels as I am making items for events...as I go. I need to just update that completely to avoid confusion).

I was going to suggest updating the bottom of hte dress a little bit but I can see that you have started to do that. Your update still isn't quite there yet, so I would keep working on that!

I find it very helpful to look at already existing mene items as I work for reference...the posh set has this HUGE skirt that has some beautiful folds in it - it might help you with placement of highlights and such :)

You are off to a great start and you work really fast which is really great!!! Keep up the good job and I hope you don't mind the constructive crits!!

Ombreuse
Bread eater

Old 03-02-2014, 03:35 PM

Hey!
Thank you for posting!
Ill never mind some crits!

So I coorect a few things.
It's true the top would fall if someone wear this IRL. It wouldn't be polite XD
Then I change lights, bottom and try other colors:

I must say I don't like them at all...Maybe the thrd and last are ok but not the other. They don't fit to the dress, I guess somebody could like it but I don't, they look sad!
I like your contrasted colors, it look like we had sparkles to the dress!
Maybe I'm a little obsessed with sparkles and bright colors haha!

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 03-03-2014, 12:10 AM

I'm actually quote fond of those. I like the first three and the last the most.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-03-2014, 12:15 AM

Petrol is totally my favorite. But then again I'm in love with that color. >.<

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 03-03-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
I must say I don't like them at all...Maybe the thrd and last are ok but not the other. They don't fit to the dress, I guess somebody could like it but I don't, they look sad!
I like your contrasted colors, it look like we had sparkles to the dress!
Maybe I'm a little obsessed with sparkles and bright colors haha!
Maybe try the palettes on another creation. Your current style (while it could be suited to those extravagant gowns!) is reminiscent of our older style. As you can probably tell for those palettes you just tried, they're a lot more subdued. This is our current style, and presents a more smooth transition between colors.

Ombreuse
Bread eater

Old 03-03-2014, 07:23 AM

Yes you're right Ikuto, I just need to find a new way to create.
As Maria suggest I've been looking at the existing clothes and understand better what is needed.
I also must use less color I guess.

I'll try to use these palettes on something more casual!

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 03-03-2014, 07:51 AM

Welcome to the pixel workroom~
I love gowns.
You have good potential.
Keep going on with the good work!

fireprincess
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Mak...

Penpal

Old 03-03-2014, 08:54 PM

You have amazing talent! I could totally see your creations ending up in the shops at some point!

Ombreuse
Bread eater

Old 03-03-2014, 09:19 PM

Thank you Xuvrette and Fireprincess :3

So I've tried to improve everything Maria-Minamino: and Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa: say!
Here's a simple loli dress in petrol.

I have tried to use better the color, not put sparkles everywhere and extend light so they don't look like lines.

I hope it fit better to Mene actual mood... Maybe I'll try to do a top hat with this dress... It would be fun!
WHat do you think about this one? Especially about style?

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 03-04-2014, 12:44 AM

c: I think that one is a very cute simple dress.

I think my favorite so far are the big ball gowns tho! They're so beautiful.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 03-04-2014, 11:24 AM

Simple dress looks nice too.
I don't like green. XD yeah, so I am bias.

I felt that the dress could be nicer with straps, following the belt pattern.

Ombreuse
Bread eater

Old 03-04-2014, 03:34 PM

Hey xuvrette: !
I'm trying some other colors, don't worry :p
Thanks for the idea, I'll try it!

Iro
Lurker

Event Coordinator
Send a message via AIM to Iro

Old 03-04-2014, 03:38 PM

I really like how that simple loli dress is looking!

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 03-04-2014, 03:45 PM

Please no ping, when I am already in the thread~
oh, and color doesn't matter at this point.

Now that Iroro mention the keyword lolli, I figure the heartshape bodice, would be good to have some frill similar to the belt pattern. Either this or strap. I emphasize on the belt pattern cause it is unique, a waste to be on just one position. Unique things can be a trademark. or you can also put that at the bottom of the dress.

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 03-04-2014, 06:47 PM

That's looking better. Maria will have to give you better crits (because I'm not so skilled XD), but the progress is nice!