Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 08-31-2013, 12:37 PM

Do you enjoy pixeling? Do you want to support Menewsha by creating cool pixel items for the Newbie Emporium? We all start from somewhere! Now is as good a time as any! If you are interested in creating pixel art as well as prizes, then this is the place for you!

The theme for this contest is AUTUMN. Make an item that embodies what Autumn means to you! Some examples are harvest, back to school, apples, and corn.

The goal is to create SIMPLE items that could be used in the Newbie Shop. That means they must be up to standard of Menewshan Pixels. In order to get to that standard, please utilize the mentors for this contest!

Last edited by Maria-Minamino; 08-31-2013 at 07:19 PM..

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 08-31-2013, 12:38 PM

• This contest starts September 1, 2013 and lasts for the entire month of September.
  • This contest ends September 30, 2013 at 11:59 P.M. EST.
  • You must complete an item to be wearable by both males and females in order to be eligible for a prize (So if you create a t-shirt, you must make the shirt on the female AND male base).
  • There are 2 categories that you may pixel for: Shirts and Pants/Shorts.
  • You may enter up to 2 times in each category.
  • If you do NOT have a pixel thread in the Pixel Workrooms , please create one there! You can post the progress of your pixels in your pixel workroom thread and ping the mentors there for help!
  • This thread should only be used for questions, comments, and submitting your items. Don't post progress in this thread.
  • No winners will be chosen if none of the items submitted are up to Menewshan Standards

Last edited by Maria-Minamino; 09-01-2013 at 04:49 PM..

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 08-31-2013, 12:38 PM

• The item must be completed for both genders to wear in order to be eligible for a prize.
  • You may ping any of the mentors to ask for help as well as ask your friends for their point of view.
  • You may enter up to 2 times per category.
  • You may not create recognizable cosplay items because of copyright laws.
  • The items you create must reflect what Autumn means to you. Remember to keep it fairly normal. No overly fancy or decorative items, please!
  • You may not edit existing items in the Menewsha Store. They must be 100% your own. However, looking at the items already in the stores can give you some help with how to shade and the placement of things. We just don't want copying and editing!
  • All items MUST be made from scratch! I know what you have posted in here before this contest began. All previously started items are not eligible. They must be made for the sole purpose of this contest.
  • All items must be made with Official Menewshan Palettes! For a list of those palettes, see the Pixel Tips in post 7!
  • All items MUST be turned in by 11:59pm EST on September 30, 2013!

• To submit your finalized item, please use this form and post in this thread:
    Code:
    [b][size="4"][color="purple"]I'M SUBMITTING MY FINALIZED ITEM![/color][/size]
    [b]Name:[/b]
    [b]Item:[/b]
    [b]Comments:[/b]

Last edited by Maria-Minamino; 09-01-2013 at 04:49 PM..

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 08-31-2013, 12:39 PM

Mentors:
Maria-Minamino
Demoscout
Neller

Please feel free to ping any of the mentors in this thread by using the following form:

Code:
I NEED HELP!
Pinging: @mentor's name here;
Item you need help with: 
Comments:

OFFICIAL ENTRIES:

SPOILERX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClariusFlorina View Post
I'M SUBMITTING MY FINALIZED ITEM!
Name:Autumn Leaf Shirt
Item:
Comments: I the Foxy Palette, and the Gold Palette, and parts of the Leo Palette for this item.
Name: neller
Item:

Comments: T-shirt and symbol v2. Maroon, beach, tiki palettes. Easily recolored and redecorated![/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticeyes2987 View Post
Name:Chibi Jack shirt
Item:

Comments: I used Charcoal and Beach Pallet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClariusFlorina View Post
Name: Ripped Jeans
Item:
Comments: When I think of Autumn, I think of a good pair of jeans to get me through it. But since it's not cold, you can still rock the jeans with holes/rips in them! Plus, girlies can still show off their awesome style of socks/tights 8D

I used the Denim and Healing palette for these items.

Maria-Minamino: So, now that I've looked at the shirt and pants together, I had to edit the shirt for both to fit together right. Is there any way I can re-submit the shirt?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wandering Poet View Post
Name: Leaf Buckle Shorts
Item:

Comments:
Sparrow and Gold was used. Also, I really like this event thing, and I hope this comes up again ^^ (rewards or not)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seridano View Post
Name: Baggy Knit Sweater - Foxxy
Item:
Comments: Time for the moment of truth. I will be working most of tomorrow,
so I've done what I can tonight. If this makes the cut, I'd love to do a few recolors.

Last edited by Maria-Minamino; 09-30-2013 at 07:49 PM..

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 08-31-2013, 12:39 PM

Shirt Category:

The First Place Prize will be worth at least a Medal of Totally Epic Win!
The Second Place Prize will be worth at least a Medal of Shiny Awesomeness!
The Third Place Prize will be worth at least a Medal of Super Spiffiness!

Pants/Shorts Category:

The First Place Prize will be worth at least a Medal of Totally Epic Win!
The Second Place Prize will be worth at least a Medal of Shiny Awesomeness!
The Third Place Prize will be worth at least a Medal of Super Spiffiness!

Last edited by Maria-Minamino; 08-31-2013 at 01:30 PM..

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 08-31-2013, 12:57 PM

Question: Am I allowed to do a cosplay item?
Answer: No, not at this time. We don't want to deal with copyright laws!

Question: Am I allowed to make a dress or skirt for this contest?
Answer: No, not at this time. We are looking for shirts and pants/shorts only!

Question: Will my item be put into the Newbie Emporium if I win?
Answer: If the quality is up to par, yes! That is the added incentive! However, this is NOT a guarantee! If the quality is not up to standard, we will ask you to either continue working on the item after the contest ends until it IS ready for the shop or it will not go in.

Question: Why hold this contest in the first place?
Answer: This is kind of personal. I answered the call to the pixel art needs about a year and a half ago. And let me tell you! I had NO idea what I was doing. You may or may not believe me! But I learned over the course of a year with the help of some users on here and I am still learn and growing. We all start somewhere! And we would LOVE to fill the Newbie Emporium shop up with items created by YOU, the users! So this contest is to promote the finishing of pixel items by the users and to help you learn how to work to Menewshan Standards!

Question: Why the theme of Autumn? I don't want to make an autumn themed clothing!
Answer: The theme is for direction! There are plenty of things that come with autumn! If you need help with inspiration - google autumn clothing or ask us for help!

Question: Where can I find the blank menewsha bases to use?
Answer: Here!!!

Question: What program should I use to create pixels?
Answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishie View Post
Some programs that you can use are:
MSpaint
GIMP (free to download and has a layering system)
Pain.net (Free to download and has a layering system)
Graphics Gale (Not sure what the features are on this one)
Photoshop

Last edited by Maria-Minamino; 09-02-2013 at 11:36 PM..

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 08-31-2013, 01:23 PM

1. Most Mene items use either 5 or 6 shades! Please utilize the 5-6 shade palettes in this post for your creations!

2. Always be aware of what type of fabric you are using as that will determine how much of each shade should be applied.

3. For most cases, if you work in a 6 shade palette, use the darkest shade only for lines and the lightest shade only for highlights. The rest of the outfit should use only the four middle shades.

4. Dusk, Leaf, Plum, and Atlantis are the hardest mene palettes to use because they use multiple colors rather than shades of the same color.

5. Don't recolor your work - it will be easier for me to recolor items because they are already cut when I do them.

6. While I use one layer, using multiple layers might be easier for you!

7. If you are starting out, Kawaii Hannah's Basic Pixel Tutorial is the best! Kawaii Hannah Tutorials

8. When pixelling, I find it easiest to talk about shades as numbers: Shade 1, Shade 2. I will always talk about them from lightest to darkest...lightest being shade one and darkest as shade 6. For example:

9. Don't be afraid to take critique as it's the only way we ever improve!

10. Don't be afraid to make an item and it be deemed a "no." You aren't going to finish every item successfully. What doesn't kill us makes us that much stronger!

11. Don't be afraid to ask for help! Ping the Mentors! Ask your friends!!!

12. This is a great tool when making items...it is the shade progression of the palettes used here on mene made by Xuvrette :

13. These palettes are used more and more these days...this isn't as fancy as palette progression as the one Xuvvie made, but I use this all the time:

14. One tip I like to think about is to get the shape correct before adding the shading! It's hard to erase your shading each time you change the shape!

15. I call these the Phoenix Jubilee Palettes:

16. This is called "bright purple" and has been used in a couple items:

17. This is called "Petrol"...it's a darker teal:

18. This is called "Mina Pink"....it came about during Valentine's Day 2013 because I was trying to make items in pink and hated all the pink palettes. So I created my own pink palette and dubbed it "Mina Pink" and the name just kind of stuck:

Last edited by Maria-Minamino; 09-01-2013 at 04:47 PM..

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 09-02-2013, 02:49 AM

Hmm I'll have to find some time for this. :) Looks like fun.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 09-02-2013, 03:25 AM

The prize is so... don't know what to say. XD
Who came out with those names, that is amusing!

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 09-02-2013, 03:43 AM

So I'm starting to look threw this falls looks for references...and OMG UGLY! XD

EDIT:

I have a question. It say no skirts, but what I'm looking at could almost be considered one but not really. I'm looking threw different styles of Tunic sweaters. Would those be ok?

Last edited by Nephila; 09-02-2013 at 03:59 AM..

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 09-02-2013, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephila View Post
Hmm I'll have to find some time for this. :) Looks like fun.
*prods* DO IT :D I'm super excited for this contest - so spread the word :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuvrette View Post
The prize is so... don't know what to say. XD
Who came out with those names, that is amusing!
I have NO idea. But they are awesome and rare prizes :)

Quote:
So I'm starting to look threw this falls looks for references...and OMG UGLY! XD

EDIT:

I have a question. It say no skirts, but what I'm looking at could almost be considered one but not really. I'm looking threw different styles of Tunic sweaters. Would those be ok?
Do you have a reference of a tunic sweater you would be interested in making? I googled tunic sweaters and some were more like dresses and some more like long sweaters. It's a fine line. I would love to see a ref of the length YOU had in mind for a tunic sweater!

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 09-02-2013, 04:44 AM

Yes I have a few. Most of them are for the shape and a few are for the design in the yarn.

This one if it were cut off where the belt is
This one if it were raised to where the bone in her thumb comes.
I like the design down the front on this one, not much else.
I like the off the shoulder look on this.
This one's cute, but again may need to be pulled up a bit to fit.

I'm sure with the yellow bar you'll get all the people interested. XD

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 09-02-2013, 05:56 AM

Ooh, I think I might have an idea for the shirt. Though my pixelling skills are quite abysmal...ah well. I'll see if I can pixel something out.

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 09-02-2013, 06:00 AM

Mine are too but I shall try my best anyway. XD

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 09-02-2013, 06:47 AM

Need moar entrants!

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 09-02-2013, 06:50 AM

*eats IKU*

Yup. Have you guys thought about posting this on a Deviant Art forum? I think they have a thing for contests too...though they probably wouldn't care about the prize. Then again free publicity and your items on an avatar site probably would be cool enough for some people.

mysticeyes2987
Comic Nerd

Old 09-02-2013, 12:26 PM

BEST OF LUCK MARIA!!!

Velvet
☆♥☆♥

Penpal

Old 09-02-2013, 01:25 PM

I wouldn't even know where to begin. X)

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 09-02-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
That's just such an incredibly fine line. Example four and five were more sweater like than dress like. If you can keep it from looking too much like a dress, I'm okay with it :) Just make it like a long sweater - not a dress :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagonist View Post
Ooh, I think I might have an idea for the shirt. Though my pixelling skills are quite abysmal...ah well. I'll see if I can pixel something out.
THat's okay - that's what the mentors are there for :D We are here to help out :)

Quote:
*eats IKU*

Yup. Have you guys thought about posting this on a Deviant Art forum? I think they have a thing for contests too...though they probably wouldn't care about the prize. Then again free publicity and your items on an avatar site probably would be cool enough for some people.
That's a good idea Nephy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticeyes2987 View Post
BEST OF LUCK MARIA!!!
THANK YOUUUUU <333333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I wouldn't even know where to begin. X)
Velvet: - The best way to start is to look up a reference of something you would wish to draw that is fall-related. Then sketch an outline :) After you sketch the outline - you can ping me or another mentor and we can help you from there :D

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 09-02-2013, 02:02 PM

I'll keep it in mind for sure. :)

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 09-02-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I'll keep it in mind for sure. :)
Awesome Neph! You have the hard part out of the way then - finding what you want to draw with some good refs :) If you want to sketch it out on the avvie base, ping me and I'd be happy to give input :)

Velvet
☆♥☆♥

Penpal

Old 09-02-2013, 02:16 PM

Ah, I see. x) Hmm, this could end up being good practice.

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 09-02-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Ah, I see. x) Hmm, this could end up being good practice.
haha yes :D That's exactly the point :) I want to help users practice so they can work on some items that actually make it into the Newbie shop :) Poor shop feels so neglected!

---------- Post added 09-02-2013 at 02:26 PM ----------

PS - to all those who doubt they can make something! Don't be afraid! We all start somewhere. Look at the first stuff I ever made:

XDDD

I don't show those often - but we all start somewhere and learn and get better :D

Seridano
Disaster On Legs

Old 09-02-2013, 02:39 PM

I'll have to try to find some time to give this a whirl.

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 09-02-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seridano View Post
I'll have to try to find some time to give this a whirl.
You definitely should :) This can give you a push to get back into pixels :D XD

Last edited by Seridano; 09-03-2013 at 02:58 AM..