Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 10-13-2013, 09:23 PM

[This was written as an assignment for a class on fairytales and myth. The assignment was to rewrite the ending of the Snow White tale (I suppose it was specifically the Grimm and Disney version) starting with the scene of the glass coffin. The point is to take into consideration contemporary times/ideas and rework the relationship between Snow White, the prince, and the evil queen in a way that reflects that.

Also, this was written without consideration to polishing in a time span of a few minutes and if there are typos in it, don't bother pointing them out. If I decide to do something with this later, I can find them perfectly fine on my own. Opinions on the story and structure itself are very welcome though, as well as suggestions.
I just wanted to share because it was fun to write. ^_^]

The dwarves put Snow White in a glass coffin because it would be a shame to obscure such a pretty face. Years passed and one day a young businessman saw her in her coffin. He thought, wow this girl would make a wonderful wife. She’s more beautiful than even my father’s trophy wife! So he took out his iPhone and snapped a photo of Snow White, sending it to his father with the caption ‘My new girl’.

The businessman was fully intending to leave with just his picture because anything more would be an effort, but the dwarves cornered him as he was about to leave. They demanded that the man take Snow White. He said no. They begged. After all, they loved her, but like fathers wanted her to be married off and not a dependent at this age. Finally the business man caved and he took Snow White. He slapped her cheeks a few times to wake her and she did.

“You will be my wife from now on,” the businessman told her. Snow White had little choice in the matter since she had no skills beyond housework and had been pushed away by both her family and the surrogate family of the dwarves.

They were married soon after and invitations were sent out to his family and the wide network of business connections that the businessman had. Somehow, the evil queen also got an invitation. She stared angrily into her mirror at herself and yelled much because with Snow White alive, she had not gotten any more beautiful which was where could then gain power over her husband. Comparison was everything. The queen went to the wedding anyway and was greeted with the sight of a perfect couple.

Snow White walked up to the evil queen, but instead of looking angry, she just smiled a weary, somewhat bright sort of smile. “I understand what you did. Although I’ll always hate you, will you teach me how to be willy and forceful like you?”

The queen was surprised, but she too smiled because she realized that the girl had grown to be like her and was not competition then. Snow White had learned her lesson and now they could understand each other. “Come with me. I’ll teach you all there is to know about power.”

MercyGrim96
It's tea time!

Old 01-04-2014, 12:27 AM

Interesting twist I liked it, but I also found it slightly vauge, like how did she not age? Or was it modern snow white, so that confused me a little bit, but I found the evil twist interesting, also the fact that it wasn't truly a happy ending

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 02-22-2014, 12:34 AM

thanks for the comment. Rereading this story, honestly I think it's a bit crappy. If i ever did anything with it, I'd really have to pull a lot of work when writing the first half of the story.

as for not aging? That's a fairy tale fact that gets used in all the original versions. It's a fairy tale. Those kinds of slips of logic are normal. Time should shift from original time setting to modern world without needing to follow logic because it's a story that's making a point.

Zephi
Summer love

Old 03-20-2014, 01:13 PM

So in the end, Snow White was actually unhappy and wanted to be like her step-mother so that she could put a spell on her new husband that she didn't want to marry? Hmm, sucks that these ladies didn't really have a choice in the matter of who they would marry. It's like, "Hey, whoever does all the work and breaks the spell wins this prize wife." And they can't say "No. I am not going ot marry you."

It's weird but I like it. It's like... Present day 3rd world country, betrothed snow white.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 03-20-2014, 05:52 PM

I think it makes more sense if you were in my fairytale class and read Jung and spent every day looking for the feminist meaning in the tales. Its supposed to be a tale of female empowerment... I guess. I didn't put a lot of thought into this.

Penella Goldeater
*^_^*

Old 07-14-2014, 06:35 PM

Hey Kat. I know you're not likely going to do anything with this Snow White shake-up but I liked it. What a neat assignment. For me, the characterization of the prince was most interesting. He seemed bored, even when struck by her beauty.. I mean he WAS going to just take a pic and split.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 07-14-2014, 07:18 PM

Thanks. I'm not against doing anything with this, but it's not high on my list either. It would need a lot of work to make it presentable. Even I feel great pains reading this ending over.

Penella Goldeater
*^_^*

Old 07-14-2014, 07:39 PM

Just look at it in the abstract. Ideas are there to play with. Someday, someday.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 07-14-2014, 07:43 PM

Yeah. It's just a big task.

Zephi
Summer love

Old 04-03-2015, 05:12 PM

It would be cool if you did a continuation of your "alternate ending" so that it was more like an alternate beginning and her waking up is only the start of the actual story. Like she wakes up but then she WAKES UP to what is going on around her, and that's why she wants to learn from the Queen.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 04-03-2015, 08:09 PM

Yeah. I like the sound of that. This story is pretty low on my to do list.

Zephi
Summer love

Old 04-03-2015, 11:06 PM

I figured, since it's just an alternate ending.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 04-03-2015, 11:09 PM

yeah. it could be it's own thing worth something, but only if I try hard.