Artifex
less than three

Old 02-08-2012, 11:58 PM

((http://www.menewsha.com/forum/commun...-daughter.html

Nemiah))

I am Nemiah, son of Isoteph, descendant of pharaohs and a pharaoh now myself. Most people would be impressed, especially since I'm actually holding things together pretty well at this point.
But... there's always a but. If I'm supposed to be the link between mortals and gods, why don't I feel like it? There's really nothing special about me, I've never heard their voices or gotten some divine message towards governing my people. Everything that I know I've been taught by mortals, mostly by Lakar. I miss him. He would know how to console me right now.

Truly, my only actual tie to the gods has decided to leave me. Hemset, my previous High Priest has stepped down and moved away. He at least contains the spirit of the god Set within him. He practically ran this place with me when he was here. He deserves the title.
But he wasn't born from my bloodline. Yet what is blood? I bleed the same color as everyone else in this world.

I've wondered about this for some time now. Years ago now, Asima once told me that I wasn't cut out to be a pharaoh. Sometimes I wonder if that was my divine message all along. Yet what can I do? As long as I live, I must do my best, however pathetic that might be.

I have done nothing exceptional with my rule, I can barely get everything that needs doing done let alone something extraordinary. Truly, I can not possibly be worthy of my father's pride. He did great things, good and bad yes but all great and all for the greater good.

I'll never measure up to that.

Artifex
less than three

Old 02-13-2012, 02:01 PM

Father.
My father is back.
The real pharaoh of Egypt has returned and I'm at a loss as to what to do.
My sister believes it's all a trap, concocted by this Souban woman but how can it be? He's smiling. He knows me so well, if this was a trap then why does he play along so willingly? Why is he giving me the hope of freedom from this duty if he doesn't mean it?

I can't lie about it anymore. I hate it. I hate the ceremonies, the praises, the hanging onto my every word. I hate the feasts and servants, and most of all I hate having to make the choices that will inevitably make or break the lives of thousands of people. If one man is truly capable of this, then I am not he.

Mesa is the only one who understands. I can actually relax around her and she doesn't expect me to make any hard choices. She's also an amazing adviser. She really understands what the people are going through and points out certain things that I never would have thought before. Sometimes I wonder if she's the reason I haven't been run off the throne.

But now my father is here. He has the experience and the knowledge and the stature for this. He always knows what to say, when to say it and how to hold his ground against overwhelming odds. He knows what's right for Egypt.
And he knows that being pharaoh is not right for me.